Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Corine Kasman
Actually it's meant for gaming to maximize your system. Game Booster is the name I remember. Never used it myself but have heard a lot of good things

Back to your system: you are running Itch 2.2 and have upgraded to the latest Novation drivers? The Novation driver is on the downloads page on their site, scroll down to the bottom of the Twitch page.

Maybe others will have more suggestions...
Kiyoko Wellisch
Cleaning out the bloat from your computer won't hurt.
Jenna Skeem
yeah when it does it it doesnt spike s such but it goes to about half way for 10 seconds and then back to almost nothing, do you reckon its worth running that batch file which gets rid of background tasks ? i knwo it sorta meant for traktor but it could be of use here it seems :S
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by JayRuss
sorry was just getting a bit stressed and not believeing rationally. Im running windows 7 with a AMD quad core prccessor and 6gb of ram.

i was running at a 5ms latency ill try 10ms and see whats happening with that. The only reason i made it so small orginally was when i had it on 10ms before the audio quality was like poo for some strange reason ? quality seems to be fine now though on 10 weird.
LOL, freaking out is only allowed when this stuff happens at gigs!

Watch the CPU bar (under the clock) if it happens again. Note if you are doing anything (like analyzing a song) when the audio drop happens. If you aren't doing anything and the CPU spikes, your computer is running some background routine (check e-mail, etc) that is hurting the audio processing.
Jenna Skeem
sorry was just getting a bit stressed and not believeing rationally. Im running windows 7 with a AMD quad core prccessor and 6gb of ram.

i was running at a 5ms latency ill try 10ms and see whats happening with that. The only reason i made it so small orginally was when i had it on 10ms before the audio quality was like poo for some strange reason ? quality seems to be fine now though on 10 weird.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Increase your latency. Everything you said can be caused by setting your buffer too small for your hardware to manage.
Corine Kasman
You'll need to give us some more info on your set-up: Mac/Win, hardware, etc. Also what is the latency setting within Itch (I run 5-10 ms as I find it works well enough there)?

I have noticed one thing when running Itch 2.2 on my 2009 MBP with 2G RAM is that it does NOT like iTunes to be running when Itch runs, get some wild sound distortion and freeze/drops. I can leave WI-Fi & BT on and e-mail open (would not do when I'm playing out) with no audio drops. Be careful what else is running in the background!
Jenna Skeem
neeed helpp! got my twitch today and really liking it apart from the shitty nobs and faders, but i seem to be having a major problem with serato. every 5 or so minutes serato seems to freeze and the audio goes dead for a second or two, is this the soundcard or a serato problem, cause the waveforms and everything freeze for a second then back to normal ?

also whenever i press the Fader fx button to on i get a horrible crackling through my monitors any ideas ?
Jenna Skeem
guess its lucky that ive never used sync in my life then :L, apart from when i unintentionally get slaughtered while playing at my residency :L

EDIT: ill check pout your thread on the serato page thenn
Corine Kasman
The reason I ask is that I've been working with Itch 2.2 for a little while now and I'm liking it, BUT it is a bit different than Traktor. You will have to go through a bit of a learning curve with it. Things like Sync are different (I wrote my findings in the Serato section of the community ). I believe it is quite good, but different.
Jenna Skeem
well ben using traktor since ive had my mixtrack, but im going to give itch a go, and if i like it then weet if not im going to use breads mapping on traktor
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by JayRuss
got my twitch coming tommroow cant wit after having my shitty mixtrack for almost a year :L
Nice! You planning on using Itch or Traktor?
Jenna Skeem
got my twitch coming tommroow cant wit after having my shitty mixtrack for almost a year :L
Monroe Vandeslunt
the faders on my twitch feel like they will just snap off at any point
Corine Kasman
Just got my Twitch yesterday and it fits fine in a Mono Kondensor bag. There is info a few pages back on thoughts of hard covers, apparently tight transport cases can affect fader feel over time.
Jenna Skeem
It's most prbbably been covered to death in here , tried a search but that failed aswell, What bags are people using with the itch, is it worth flightcasing ?
Neoma Picklesimer
Thanks
Carl Guilherme
Hi Bascuritz,

Here are the links:

Novation Technical Support contact form:
http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Novation Community user libraries:
http://www.novationmusic.com/communi...idi_templates/

Best regards,
Alex
Novation Technical Support
Neoma Picklesimer
Link please!
Carl Guilherme
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your comments. For those of you experiencing problems with audio dropouts please contact Novation Technical support using the contact form on the Novation Answerbase.

It's great to see users creating their own mappings for Traktor. Mappings can be shared with other users via the Community User Library on the Novation website.

Best Regards,
Alex Lucas
Novation Technical Support
Corine Kasman
In regards to the "volume issue", is there a difference in output levels between the balanced and unbalanced connection? I see Novation recommends combining the Master and Booth outputs, but that is when using both as unbalanced. I'm wondering if the balanced output (TRS in the Master) is any different. On the Xone DX I found a big difference between the two (yeah, yeah I know it is not the same with a powered soundcard...)

Cheers, Phil.
Whitney Fazendin
No problem - gonna post my adapted version of Bread's mapping now...
Neoma Picklesimer
Hey Giff,
Could u post your Mapping with some description, and/or, a picture, to show what's what, into Bread's thread?
This way we keep all the possibilities together in one thread for Novation Twitch & Traktor.
Whitney Fazendin
Originally Posted by khemfusion
I love the concept, the portability and the software (when it works) but its the instability that i cant stand, i keep getting these sudden dropouts that are really pissing me off, I can deal with the low output and the shitty faders but not that!!! so im back to cds for a while.
Hey Khem

Agree with you about the faders, output levels, flexibility and concept. I also wish they had built the Twitch to a higher standard: the casing beneath the top metal plate is like a cheap toy. Novation could have kept the weight low (a big plus for me) and given it a far better construction (like the NI X1 or Allen & Heath K2). Not difficult.

I use my Twitch with Traktor Pro 2.1.2 & and an X1 for effects. I've heavily modifed Bread Freshly's excellent mapping for Traktor Pro 2 posted on this community earlier on this month and I'm just about there with modding it to suit my DJing style.

I ditched the heavy Audio 8 DJ soundcard & now use the Twitch internal soundcard with my old MacBook Pro. Even though the output is way lower than the A8 DJ (I've bought a Samson S-mix to fix that) I'm getting better latency (5.5 ms) than the A8 DJ with no dropouts (so far two 6-hour gigs in a club).

Dropouts are a complete no-no - this must be very frustrating. True, the faders are poor & the output too low but for the time being I'm sticking with the Twitch because of its portability & low latency. Have you tried it with Traktor Pro 2? Just give me a shout and I'll send you my mapping if you like.

All the best
DJ Giff
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
I'm in Italy too, and yes, I can confirm, never see one of them.
But I'm really curious, I like it, wanna test one.
I love the concept, the portability and the software (when it works) but its the instability that i cant stand, i keep getting these sudden dropouts that are really pissing me off, I can deal with the low output and the shitty faders but not that!!! so im back to cds for a while.
Felicita Stirrat
NICE VID!!!!

Im in Italy and have not come across one either, here we have LOTS of S2, Hercules, ecc.

Question:

Is anybody else getting sudden dropouts? After I play for about an hour or less i get a 1 sec drop in the music then everything is back to normal......really annoying......

I use Itch 2.2 on a 2010 MBP core 2 duo 2,4ghz with 4g ram running Snow Leo
Thanks Khem!

i actually just updated 2 Itch 2.2 wednesday past but im running a Toshiba C660-289, dual core, 8gb ram, all music on external 500Gb HDD and no issues b4, no issues after update...the response is even more better after the update, no latency nada.
Somer Vanstraten
NICE VID!!!!

Im in Italy and have not come across one either, here we have LOTS of S2, Hercules, ecc.

Question:

Is anybody else getting sudden dropouts? After I play for about an hour or less i get a 1 sec drop in the music then everything is back to normal......really annoying......

I'm in Italy too, and yes, I can confirm, never see one of them.
But I'm really curious, I like it, wanna test one.
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by CraigM
btw, who else in SA has this unit? im based in Cape Town and havnt come across any other users yet..

NICE VID!!!!

Question:

Whitney Fazendin
Thanks Khemfusion
Birgit Myrda
Hey, the knobs feel really good, they are plastic but knurled effect makes them nice and grippy, plus they are slightly wider than the original and for me thats a plus. Some pple here said the these knobs would become slippery in time but that not happened yet (and i use the twitch 2-3 times a week for 4-5 hour sets).
Felicita Stirrat
btw, who else in SA has this unit? im based in Cape Town and havnt come across any other users yet..
Felicita Stirrat
ey there guys, im new here.... since getting Twitch iv lost alotta sleep lol

heres an entry i submitted for the Twitch Takeover comp last month:

Video Description: 2 minute Twitch Takeover competition submission. Bigger Than Hip Hop (Fake Fake Records ) (Dogg's Relevance Remix) Sliced up, some Sample Fun with effects, followed by a Freaky Remix
Whitney Fazendin
Hey there, Im in Europe too and I could not find it either, so i personally went with this

244210.jpg

Not as small as the other but its still cheap and sounds very nice

the knobs i got from here http://www.tme.eu/en/details/gw15b/s...sistors-knobs/
Thanks for your reply dude.

The mini-amp looks great - light and portable: just what I've been looking for. Pleased to hear the sound quality is good: I'm going to buy one of these. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

The diameter and 'knurled' (new word for me that one!) feature on the knobs look perfect for me: the only thing is, I'm keen to get some soft-touch replacement knobs which don't slip when I'm DJing in hot & sweaty clubs. Would you say that the GW15B knobs fulfil those criteria?

Many thanks once again for taking the time to post the links

Cheers
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by DJGiff
Interesting little piece of kit, very unobtrusive - thanks for the tip. Can't find any distributors here in the UK or any official reviews on the sound quality of the LGB-1, though. Any ideas?
Hey there, Im in Europe too and I could not find it either, so i personally went with this

244210.jpg

Not as small as the other but its still cheap and sounds very nice

the knobs i got from here http://www.tme.eu/en/details/gw15b/s...sistors-knobs/

Cheers!
Whitney Fazendin
Hello people, just ran into this little device wich i believe could help out with the output issue without being too intrusive......and its cheap......

http://www.htd.com/LGB-1#
Interesting little piece of kit, very unobtrusive - thanks for the tip. Can't find any distributors here in the UK or any official reviews on the sound quality of the LGB-1, though. Any ideas?
Whitney Fazendin
I had the same issue with the knobs myself so i went with these instead

They look good Khemfusion - are they plastic or rubberised? Where did you order them from?

Cheers
Giff
Billy Blinn
Originally Posted by jprime
Nice! Are you primarily using Itch or Traktor?
Im actually new the whole DJ scene. I have never owned a piece of gear before at all but while I was out looking at gear trying to decide I played around with ITCH with the NS7 and it seemed fairly easy. I was mixing 2 tracks no problem ( lots of research and tutorial vids helped guide my way haha ) but i feel I would be more of a controllerist so this appealed to me more. I used alot fo music production software ( FL, Ableton, Reason ) but never hardware so this is a first. Im a DJ virgin!
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by Cur3d
Now a proud owner of the Novation Twitch!
Nice! Are you primarily using Itch or Traktor?
Billy Blinn
Now a proud owner of the Novation Twitch!
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by Kaek
I sent you an email about the tsi file bread freshly, but uh no reply?
I'm really sorry, man I thought I got back to you I decided against beta testing it so I can just release it sooner. I've been testing the hell out of it and making a tutorial video, so just hang tight. It's done and 99.99999% ready, I promise!

Keep an eye on my thread over in the Mappings section

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=47925

And keep an eye on my youtube channel, I'll be posting all kinds of how-to videos related to the mapping

http://www.youtube.com/user/AKFosh

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy