Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Emmitt Belback
Originally Posted by DigitalTiger
Don't worry about the output levels. The low output thing isn't really that big of a deal, any mixing board will be able to take the signal and amplify it to louder than desired levels. You don't have to use the twitch sound card, but it is quite convenient and yes you can assign the audio out through the traktor audio 2.
cool thanks! so if its such an easy workaround why was (from my limited view) freaking out about it?
Sook Kitaoka
Don't worry about the output levels. The low output thing isn't really that big of a deal, any mixing board will be able to take the signal and amplify it to louder than desired levels. You don't have to use the twitch sound card, but it is quite convenient and yes you can assign the audio out through the traktor audio 2.
Emmitt Belback
Originally Posted by jprime
Are you plugging your Twitch directly into your PA? Usually when I play out with mine it plugs into a channel on the mixer; so the volume is great.

Though even plugging directly, I find the volume is fine, just turn the PA up louder
well im not sure how the local club i got invited to play at has things set up but right now i just have my apc40 plugged through a usb cable as well as my audio 2 soundcard. im sure they have a pa though. i guess ill go pick a twitch up this week!
Breanne Penge
Are you plugging your Twitch directly into your PA? Usually when I play out with mine it plugs into a channel on the mixer; so the volume is great.

Though even plugging directly, I find the volume is fine, just turn the PA up louder
Emmitt Belback
sorry if this seems like a noobish question. im currently using ableton and want to switch over to using a twitch with serato. the low audio output kind of worries me though. do i have to use the twitch soundcard? i have a traktor audio 2. could i just use that instead? or would audio output still be low
Arnetta Koskinas
Originally Posted by MWagner
My Twitch got a facelift today courtesy of 12 inch skinz
Attachment 11021
Awesome! definitely need to get one!
Lyndsey Stiff
Hey guys, just got my twitch not too long ago and I love it. I am running into a small problem though. When I plug an audio source into the aux port on the twitch, the music plays through the twitch's master output, however itch is not recognizing it. When I go to the "Mic/Aux" tab in itch, the VU meter is showing no activity (no color), although the iPod is plugged in. Furthermore, if I press the aux on/off button to mute the aux source (or try to manipulate the aux input in any way using the controls on the twitch) nothing happens, the music just keeps playing, even if I close itch. I am asking this because when I record my mixes in itch, if I use an auxiliary source such as an iPod or cd player, I want it to be recorded into the mix as well. If someone could help me it'd be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Berna Reaka
IMG_1402.jpg
Hot damn! I've hated this regular overlay since the day I got it. 12 inch skinz here I come.
Werner Bile
IMG_1402.jpg
Genoveva Coulman
Thanks Viper,That was pretty helpful.On another note I got a mapping idea for the twitch.Have a look at this :

James Zabiela using a custom "Gater" Effect mapping using a NanoPad with Abelton.Having this on the 8 pads of the twitch would be pretty sick.Trying to develop a similar mapping on Traktor,Any help guys?Not really a mapping expert,but yeah got a decent amount of knowledge & experience with Midi Mappings
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
I doubt it. I remember reading they don't send midi messages regardless of what you're doing with the soundcard.
Yeah, you can't map them. I'm almost positive about that.
Donella Bentch
Have a look in the "Twitch_programmers_reference.pdf" You can download it from Twitch Website
Genoveva Coulman
Thanks for the reply Popinjoy.I got another query as well.When I'm mapping the outputs to the LED's,I'm getting a lil confused that which numbers in the MIDI Range represent the 3 colors available?A small list would be awesome.Also,How to increase/decrease the brightness of those LED's?

Not really a mapping expert,trying to get there
Hazel Oeschger
After using twitch for a while I have 1 major complaint. It's too small. For example using both low eq's at the same time is almost impossible with my shovels (hands), I have to look for that I take on the right knobs and so forth. Other than that, the workflow is nice, build quality fair enough and the knobs itself suck. Using both itch and traktor, itch mostly.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I doubt it. I remember reading they don't send midi messages regardless of what you're doing with the soundcard.
Genoveva Coulman
Got a quick question.Since i'm not using Twitch's inbuilt sound card for the output,Using it just as a Midi Controller for Traktor,so is there a way to map the 4 knobs on the top right of the controller to do something?Tried it the normal way,didn't work out
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by MFilthy
I'm having fun with the base Traktor mapping..however...I'm believeing about swapping the beatgrid section to sample decks. However I don't use the effects section at all and can't believe what to turn it into (I use my midifighter for most effects.) Any suggestions?
That's pretty much my setup too (Twitch + MF3D). I'm still playing around with different mappings trying to find what works best for both controllers.
Arnetta Koskinas
I'm having fun with the base Traktor mapping..however...I'm believeing about swapping the beatgrid section to sample decks. However I don't use the effects section at all and can't believe what to turn it into (I use my midifighter for most effects.) Any suggestions?
Donella Bentch
Viper
Tillie Schnurbusch
Hey Viper,

Love the potential of your mapping, I've been using Bread's for a while, but I wanted to try out the new remix decks. Is there any chance you could do a video overview or walkthrough of your mapping? The documentation helps but having a visual demo would be fantastic.

Thanks for your help.
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by ovchris
Wow! Thank you so much!
Happy to help. I assume from your response that it worked?
Fatima Gates
I had this same problem when I first set up my twitch.

Control Panel->hardware and sound->manage audio devices->Line Out/Twitch
on the advanced page there should be an option for default format that lets you select the quality and number of channels. Switch it to 4 channels and you'll be good to go.
Wow! Thank you so much!
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by ovchris
So I tried using many Traktor mappings for the twitch. But I noticed one thing, I can't seem to cue out of my headphones. In my audio settings, only two options come up for my master output. I'm pretty sure you're suppose to have 4. (Two outputs for your headphones and two for your master outputs) Has anyone had this problem?
I had this same problem when I first set up my twitch.

Control Panel->hardware and sound->manage audio devices->Line Out/Twitch
on the advanced page there should be an option for default format that lets you select the quality and number of channels. Switch it to 4 channels and you'll be good to go.
Fatima Gates
So I tried using many Traktor mappings for the twitch. But I noticed one thing, I can't seem to cue out of my headphones. In my audio settings, only two options come up for my master output. I'm pretty sure you're suppose to have 4. (Two outputs for your headphones and two for your master outputs) Has anyone had this problem?
Donella Bentch
Be sure that you import the mapping with the big import button !
Donella Bentch
Did you see some changes on the monitor in the FX panel FX1 or 2?
All other knobs and pads working?
Donella Bentch
Hold "Shift" and turn the FX Select Encoder (right or left to Low Knob) :thumb up:
A little look in my documentation will help sometimes
Donella Bentch
Of course you can select effects using the FX select encoder. Select pre-selected effects using the pads is only possible if you edit the mapping.
Donella Bentch
]If you have some experience in mapping it is not so difficult.
But if you want to change some special parameters, it is more complicated for a mapping newbie.
Here is a photo:

Preferences 1.jpg
Donella Bentch
Beatmatching with the strip is easy and accurate. It
Lovella Tabatabai
I'm concidering buying Twitch, but I've got one question. How do you beatmatch with touchstrip. I'm not a big fan of autosync. I use only vinyls, but now a lot of good music is only on digital releases. So I decided to buy "something"
My other options are Vestax VCI 300 and Traktor S2. I would like to use midi controler for other software like Ableton and Resolume. So I believe twitch is a good optoion.

So could you tell me Twitch users. Do you beatmatch with toutchstrip is it fun for you ? or would you rather use jogwheel or you use autosync mostly ?
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by viper9711
Here
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by SherpaPsy
Spell check FTW

In other news, this page is up now, ordered mine just now!
Let us know what you believe when you get the Decksaver
Nilsa Erben
Originally Posted by SherpaPsy
Strange, I don't see mthem there or on the actual decksavers site. Do you have an actual link?
Spell check FTW

In other news, this page is up now, ordered mine just now!
Donella Bentch
Originally Posted by acronym
Anyone do a demo on Viper's sample mode?, can someone explain this?.
Here
Donella Bentch
Viper
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by pilmat
Pull off one of the Chroma caps and look inside. You should see a pin sticking up from the bottom that controls the knob height. I ground this off and they sit nice now, except the encoders which should have been left stock (damn!).

Note that only the white large are Chroma caps, the yellow and green are old DJTT knobs with the black insert in the bottom (those have to be drilled out to get them to sit at the right height). And only the small need re-worked as the large sit well on the encoders too.
Yeah, I attempted that with one of the caps. Found out quickly that I really should have used a dremel or something. Unfortunately, I don't have any drills lying around :/ But I'm ok with the caps sitting high on the posts as they don't impede on functionality and the way the posts are bolted to the faceplate of the unit, I'm not very concerned about dust build up and what not. However, if it turns out that the decksavers does not have enough clearance for the unmodded Chroma Caps, then I would probably have to go out and find myself a dremel or something :P
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by dookiex
Nice, I was wondering about that myself. I have the Chroma caps installed and they sit high on the knobs, thus I was not sure if the decksaver would fit over the unit with those knobs.
Pull off one of the Chroma caps and look inside. You should see a pin sticking up from the bottom that controls the knob height. I ground this off and they sit nice now, except the encoders which should have been left stock (damn!). Here is a photo:

Twitch Knob Height by pilmat, on Flickr

Note that only the white large are Chroma caps, the yellow and green are old DJTT knobs with the black insert in the bottom (those have to be drilled out to get them to sit at the right height). And only the small need re-worked as the large sit well on the encoders too.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by pilmat
Gotcha, my bad!

On a side note, has anyone tried the Decksaver on the Twitch yet? I'm considering one but want to know how high over the unit it sits, as I'd like to put it in my Mono Kondenser bag with it on.
Nice, I was wondering about that myself. I have the Chroma caps installed and they sit high on the knobs, thus I was not sure if the decksaver would fit over the unit with those knobs.
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by dookiex
That's what I said, it's a bit more involved in Traktor to grid your tracks. I believe you've misread what I posted :P
Gotcha, my bad!

On a side note, has anyone tried the Decksaver on the Twitch yet? I'm considering one but want to know how high over the unit it sits, as I'd like to put it in my Mono Kondenser bag with it on.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy