Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by pilmat
Really? I find setting beat grids in Itch much simpler than Traktor, especially when using the Twitch. Plus we get to warp

All that said, I'm going to play with Viper's mapping this week and try the Twitch on Traktor. Hate the GUI, but the FX are killer.
That's what I said, it's a bit more involved in Traktor to grid your tracks. I believe you've misread what I posted :P

As for FX, yeah, Traktor definitely has the upper hand in the FX department since you can chain them and basically program them. There's none of that in Itch which is disappointing.
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by dookiex
a bit more involved (but honestly not by much) for gridding in Traktor
Really? I find setting beat grids in Itch much simpler than Traktor, especially when using the Twitch. Plus we get to warp

All that said, I'm going to play with Viper's mapping this week and try the Twitch on Traktor. Hate the GUI, but the FX are killer.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
I actually love Viper's Sample-mode instead of the not very useful Slicer-mode better, but some other stuff like FX mode I like better of Bread's one.

I'm actually going to make a mashup of them, to make a new ubermapping.
Well, I mean if one grasps what's going on with the Slicer mode, it's actually quite useful but it does require you to know your music thus knowing what your slices are going to be when you trigger them. Needless to say, you also need your music to be properly gridded. Dead simple using Itch, a bit more involved (but honestly not by much) for gridding in Traktor. Also, I don't find the "slicer" like workaround in Traktor to be anywhere near as good as the native Slicer mode in Itch.

EDIT: I've just realized that you were not talking about the native Slicer feature in Itch :P My apologies :P
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by fdawg
anyone looking for a good map for traktor should use Breadlys on this site, its awesome
I actually love Viper's Sample-mode instead of the not very useful Slicer-mode better, but some other stuff like FX mode I like better of Bread's one.

I'm actually going to make a mashup of them, to make a new ubermapping.
Lorine Krattli
anyone looking for a good map for traktor should use Breadlys on this site, its awesome
Cassaundra Lindesmith
And i've had two break on me during normal use.... thank you guitar center warranty!!!
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by DJSooter
A few days ago I accidentally dropped my Twitch from 15 feet high stairs. While I was completely shocked in fear, it bounced all the way down. When I picket it up, only one knob had come off and there were a few scratches on the sides. After a full check and still working fine I can now say the Twitch can take a pretty rough beat.
But... willitblend.com ?
Tamekia Stroker
A few days ago I accidentally dropped my Twitch from 15 feet high stairs. While I was completely shocked in fear, it bounced all the way down. When I picket it up, only one knob had come off and there were a few scratches on the sides. After a full check and still working fine I can now say the Twitch can take a pretty rough beat.
Werner Bile
Originally Posted by DigitalTiger
I (mostly) no longer compare this controller to others (the notable exception being the Vestax VCI-380), I compare it to some theoretical "perfect controller"... and to that, I'd say "I wish the Twitch had: a 4x4 grid of full-color, velocity sensitive pads (on each side)... full color (assignable) up-fader and touch strip LEDs and and maybe an X-Y touch pad (for Kaos Pad effects), then it'd be perfect." It's pretty darn close as it stands right now... for HALF the price of "Top-of-the-line controllers" and I can buy side-car controllers like the "NI Kontrol F1" and "NI Maschine" to flesh out what I don't have with the Twitch... and they're things I'd have to buy anyway with other "top-tier" controllers.

I agree. while I had my problems early on, now that those are corrected I love the controller. I paid $200 for it used and with another $120 for the launchpad I have more control than a lot of controllers that cost twice that. Not to mention that I feel I've only scratched the surface so far with regards to customization.

Honestly the only thing I feel like directly compares is the Livid.
Nilsa Erben
Originally Posted by cwrigh08
FYI fellow Twitch owners. Decksaver has finally release the cover for twitch! DJ deals . com has them in stock now!
Strange, I don't see mthem there or on the actual decksavers site. Do you have an actual link?
Charlette Csizmadia
Does anyone use Twitch with Ableton here?, if so how good are the mappings and where can I nab them?.
Sook Kitaoka
Originally Posted by Yuki
Hmmm seems I have a new trouble.. I believe this is mine last issue..
Well guys and girls I wondering if anyone can help me figure out why mine headphone cue buttons not working..
I have mine speakers plugged into the booth output and when I hit the HP Cue button I can hear to mine headphones but it also playes through the speakers also.. I have the cue---mix nob set to mix, the switch on the back of the master section set to cue.. But still i hear the tunes i try to cue come through mine speakers... Any ideas??
thanks!
The "Booth Output" switch on the back of your Twitch is intended for choosing where the "Booth Out" connectors are routed to (this is independent of the "Master Out" and allows you to choose which signal comes out of the "Booth" RCA output). You *WILL* hear the same thing in your headphones as you do in the speakers with this option set to "Cue", so set your switch to "Master" and that will make your crossfader control what is routed through the "Booth Out."

I can see how you might be confused about how the knobs are labeled in the "Master" section. There is a "Headphone Volume" knob to the left of the "Mix" knob and it *could* be misread as one knob being the "Master" and the other being the "Cue", however, the "Mix" knob is actually labeled such that "Full Master Signal" is coming out of the left side (full counter-clockwise rotation of the knob) and "Full Cue Signal" is coming out of the right side (full clockwise rotation of the knob)... the knob should be read as such "Master - MIX - Cue" wherein the "Mix" in the center is the name of the knob and each "side" of the button is full signal.

Also, There's an On/Off switch on the back of your Twitch Labeled "Direct Monitoring", try switching that to "On", this should solve one part of your problem.
Sook Kitaoka
Honestly, when they designed the Twitch, they knew two things mattered: 1) Since it's bus powered which means no power adapter to lose (yay!) the audio output would be reduced, but that's OK since 2) The Twitch was designed to operate well within the standards of standard audio outputs for a standard sound board.

Most powered controllers amplify the sound well beyond "Unity" and you'll see them turned down to -10 to -15 dB. So the Twitch needs to be turned up to 0 dB or higher, but that's perfectly well within the operable range of the knob and the outputs. I say, it's a small price to pay for not having to have a power supply to get lost (or broken).

If you MUST amplify signal before the mixer, get a good, inexpensive mixer (like a Mackie 4 channel) and use that as your pre-amp. This complicates your gear set up, but you'll be fine.
Sook Kitaoka
Glad to hear you've resolved your problems. I hope you've downloaded the USB drivers for your laptop as this will increase your user satisfaction. I suggest everyone get into mapping (at least so you can customize your buttons for what you want them to do) and there are a couple of great mapping tutorials by DJ Shiftee from Dubspot. One you "get" how to map things to your controller, you'll have a great time exploring all the awesome things you can do with your Twitch (as introduced by DJ Moldover).

Both of the DJs I suggested have a lot of "character" but once you get past that, they actually give you a lot of information you can use. The Twitch is such a fantastic controller for the price as it's way more customizable than most other controllers on the market.

I (mostly) no longer compare this controller to others (the notable exception being the Vestax VCI-380), I compare it to some theoretical "perfect controller"... and to that, I'd say "I wish the Twitch had: a 4x4 grid of full-color, velocity sensitive pads (on each side)... full color (assignable) up-fader and touch strip LEDs and and maybe an X-Y touch pad (for Kaos Pad effects), then it'd be perfect." It's pretty darn close as it stands right now... for HALF the price of "Top-of-the-line controllers" and I can buy side-car controllers like the "NI Kontrol F1" and "NI Maschine" to flesh out what I don't have with the Twitch... and they're things I'd have to buy anyway with other "top-tier" controllers.
Esta Mizikar
FYI fellow Twitch owners. Decksaver has finally release the cover for twitch! DJ deals . com has them in stock now!
Werner Bile
Hi everyone, I'm a twitch owner and new to the board. I had a bunch of problems getting my twitch to play nice with my computer (and then getting it to play nice with my launchpad), and it would have been great to be able to ask you guys, but by the time I found this board I had got everything working. Now that its all running smooth I couldn't be happier with the controller.

One mapping question though, as i said i use a Twitch and Launchpad together with Traktor pro 2.13 and thus I'm searching for a mapping combination for each of them that gives me the maximum functionality with the minimum of overlap. Any suggestions or should I just bite the bullet and learn to map it myself?

thanks in advance
Graig Sheldrake
thanks I'm going to try a few different things and repost on what works/doesnt
Corine Kasman
I haven't had any issues, but the output level is well documented on the Novation community (LINK) and there is a lot of good info on this Serato community (http://serato.com/community /discussion/646093).

The solutions go from a simple Y connecting the Booth and Master outs (remember you will be in unbalanced, so use TS for the Master). To connecting Booth and Master to a powered mixer and getting max oomph out.

A single line boost works well too. My Rolls MX22s boosts the Master enough if I would ever need it (hence it is stuffed in a corner of my DJ bag just in case!). I played with mixing the Master and Booth and it is a big gain, but it depends on what your needs are.
Graig Sheldrake
has anyone figured out a way to fix the low output volume from the twitch?..ive played a few small bar/club gigs and the sound was somewhat of an issue...im believeing about getting an io and running it like that, anyone have any recommendations/ideaS?
Tawanna Duchane
Very helpful as usual Pilmat, thanks again!
Well I believe you are correct cos the headphones I use are not pro quality or anything. Well this week ill be getting mine XLR to RCA cables and some epic headphones, then ill be set! Thanks again I really appreciate it!!
Corine Kasman
hehehe me again W n_nW
so I have read alot about the twitch souncard being a lil quiet for some applications but I have a question about the headphone cue volume level..
I ont know If I messed up mine output routing but if I cue a track in mine headphones it is SOO LOUD! I mean mine headphones have never distorted before but omg! i am wondering if that level of sound should actually be routed through the master output instead of mine headphones.. Now I kknow with mine fail english I will confuse alot of you but all I am asking is this..
Is your volume level for your headphone cue way much overpowered? I just nee to know cos mine first gig is next weekend so I have to make sure everything is perfect..
Thanks again guys!
The only thing I can believe of is that your headphones have a very low impedance. The Twitch manual syas the load impedance should be higher than 24 ohms, but some headphones have an impedance in the range of 12-16 ohms (they are designed for iPods that do not have a high output). I use Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's with an impedance of 64 ohms and I have the volume between 3/8 and a little over half, depending on the room noise.
Tawanna Duchane
hehehe me again W n_nW
so I have read alot about the twitch souncard being a lil quiet for some applications but I have a question about the headphone cue volume level..
I ont know If I messed up mine output routing but if I cue a track in mine headphones it is SOO LOUD! I mean mine headphones have never distorted before but omg! i am wondering if that level of sound should actually be routed through the master output instead of mine headphones.. Now I kknow with mine fail english I will confuse alot of you but all I am asking is this..
Is your volume level for your headphone cue way much overpowered? I just nee to know cos mine first gig is next weekend so I have to make sure everything is perfect..
Thanks again guys!
Tawanna Duchane
Per the Twitch for Traktor manual (from here: novationmusic.com), it should look like the link. Maybe you drivers are not up to date? They are at the bottom of the page of the link in this post.

****EDIT****

Ok all sorted! I reinstalled Traktor, and messed around with the output setting in a trial and error type type process... Got it all working as it should!! Thanks heaps for all your help Pilmat!
Donella Bentch
New Traktor mapping is online (Sample Deck Control, 2x4 FX-Presets Strip controlled and other features):
http://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/145
Corine Kasman
Per the Twitch for Traktor manual (from here: novationmusic.com), it should look like the link. Maybe you drivers are not up to date? They are at the bottom of the page of the link in this post.
Tawanna Duchane
You're using Traktor right? If so, then you will have to set your outputs to monitor and not master in set-up. Look at post #257, for the exact routing.
Hey thanks, I am using Traktor but when I tried to adjust mine output settings like in the pic you linked mine setings are not the same.. It not say "Twitch out 2" "Twitch out 3" etc all I have is "Output 1 - 4" I done something wrong?
Corine Kasman
Well guys and girls I wondering if anyone can help me figure out why mine headphone cue buttons not working..
I have mine speakers plugged into the booth output and when I hit the HP Cue button I can hear to mine headphones but it also playes through the speakers also.. I have the cue---mix nob set to mix, the switch on the back of the master section set to cue.. But still i hear the tunes i try to cue come through mine speakers... Any ideas??
thanks!
You're using Traktor right? If so, then you will have to set your outputs to monitor and not master in set-up. Look at post #257, for the exact routing.
Tawanna Duchane
thanks!
Tawanna Duchane
Originally Posted by JayRuss
when i used the twitch on traktor i had a similar thing, make sure on controller mappings on the twitch mapping just put the in/out ports on all, seemed to work for me ?
Hey thanks Jay.. I done like how you said and it worked.. I was sure I tried that already but I dunno maybe I did something wrong.. Anyways all sweet now managed to get it hooked up and working properly with the midi fighter too.. Thanks again dude
Jenna Skeem
when i used the twitch on traktor i had a similar thing, make sure on controller mappings on the twitch mapping just put the in/out ports on all, seemed to work for me ?
Tawanna Duchane
Hey guys!
Just got mine twitch today and have set it up with Traktor Pro 2.. Aaaaand I got a problem.. All the controls work fine BUT the lights dont.. The pads dont light up on any setting, the effects and filter lights dont come on, the headphones lights and whole browser section not light up either.. Only the loading lights work..
Naturally im a bit concerned.. Have you heard of this problem before? Can you guys offer me any advice?
Btw im using the Traktor mapping from the Novation site..
Thanks heaps in advance
yuki
Carl Guilherme
Hi JayRuss,

I'm sorry to hear of the audio problems you have been experiencing. If you'd like some help with this please contact us using the contact form on the Novation Answerbase.

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Best regards,

Alex Lucas // Novation Technical Support
www.novationmusic.com
Jenna Skeem
ill have a look at that, something that ive noticed recently is that the audio quality doesnt seem that great, im running a 12ms buffer now and im not having an dropouts anymore, im still having the occasional filter fx moment but i guess i can live with that. but the audio quality seems worse than my mixtrack pro, no idea why that is :S

EDIT: just used the twitch with traktor, and audio is normal again, so im believeing most the problems im having are with itch rather thn the twitch
Corine Kasman
@khem: you were getting the dropouts on your MBP? As I said, I've only had issues when iTunes was running at the same time as Itch (or my wife had watched videos while I went to the store, LOL).

@JayRuss: there is a post up on Serato about just this. Guy posted it last evening (thought it might be you) and attached a file. The thread is in the Twitch section of the Itch community , called "Audio dropouts - not sure why".
Birgit Myrda
I hate to be pessimistic about this but i gave up on the twitch and sold it a couple of days ago (been burning cds for the past three days....), but i tried everything to get rid of that problem and i could not do it. Traktor never gave dropouts with it so i would concentrate on Itch. None the less i really do miss it, its a great controller and Itch is perfect for my type of djing BUT they need to fix stability issues. I have tried Traktor, Mixxx, Djay and Ableton with twitch and none of them ever dropped out.
Chasidy Heckenbach
it seemed to make quite a difference on my system when i used it. not really any reason to not run it anyway... it does also disable the windows theme system so windows7 looks a lot more like windows95 which is quite amusing

when u run it it asks u whether u want to optimize or restore, then it goes and either stops the set of services or restarts them. nothing it does is permanent. if i was using windows for any kind of live stuff i'd def be running that (tho also probably dual booting to a really bare+clean windows install)
Jenna Skeem
That was the script i was referencing might give it a try mebelieves , wuld you say it improved performance for sound processing ?
Corine Kasman
Originally Posted by zestoi
the batch script mentioned has nothing to do with gaming - it just disables (or enables) various windows services. i used to use it sometimes, pretty cool. here's the blog entry http://www.djranking s.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/
Nice, thanks for the clarification. I've bookmarked that page for future reference. The guy that just bought my VCI-100 will probably need it!
Jenna Skeem
yeah im running 2.2, it hasnt crashed and ive been playing for a good hour or so, but it still crackles occasionally when i use the faderfx, and while keeping one eye on the CPU meter most time the CPU doesnt spike while doing this :S , so still a bit confused why the fader fx does this :L
Chasidy Heckenbach
Actually it's meant for gaming to maximize your system. Game Booster is the name I remember. Never used it myself but have heard a lot of good things
the batch script mentioned has nothing to do with gaming - it just disables (or enables) various windows services. i used to use it sometimes, pretty cool. here's the blog entry http://www.djranking s.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy