Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Breanne Penge
Maybe they fix all the issues and have a trade in program. Wait for it......

...Novation Switch :P
Kiyoko Wellisch
I don't believe I agree, controllers seem to have really short life spans and once the hype wears off they get replaced. Obviously I don't really have access to the facts and figures but that's the way it seems to be.

It seems more likely that we'd see a Twitch version 2 (with another cool name and new cool features) rather than a Twitch version 1.1.
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Why would they do that? I imagine it's gotta be pretty hard to redesign a product already in production. They'd never make the money back.
Because they might then sell more units which may offset the production cost loss and in turn ensuring a product has a longer life in a very competitive market? Crazy concept huh.

I'm sure there is an avenue to change the component spec to a better soundcard for the next production run. Computer companies do this all the time, same laptop outer shell, different processor etc.

See there's this thing called consumer feedback, and if all over the web people are saying its a flawed product folks will be reluctant to buy said product. I know I am.

However, a relaunch of said product with those flaws fixed, and a well placed marketing campaign and people will have alot more faith in a product and may ensure its longevity.

Call me a crazy idealist, but thats what i believe Novation should do. The twitch has the potential to be the new VCi100...
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by bascurtiz

So ultimately, let's combine forces here and each of u, who own a Twitch and played with the Mapping for Traktor, upload it in the user-mapping thread plz!
I'll get there eventually. Still working on my mapping but it's nearly done. I've got the effects section only controlling two effects groupings, with the rotary controlling dry/wet, and the endless controlling the effects parameters. I use the wasted four buttons on the left below the effects selections for pre set effects groupings, so I can change them up on the fly. The ones on the right I just use for dedicated single effects turn ons such as beatmasher, reverb etc...

The Twitch buttons don't really work well for midifighter style, because there is a very slight delay between pressing the button and traktor responding. It's a devil for cue point juggling.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Why would they do that? I imagine it's gotta be pretty hard to redesign a product already in production. They'd never make the money back.
Johnetta Olewine
Yo Novation, release the twitch with a better sound card and i will buy one. Just statin, not hatin.
Breanne Penge
Fuck yeah billy! Mine arrived today and is sitting in my office.

Can't wait to get home and Itch it up
Kiyoko Wellisch
Sweet, thanks for heads up olly!
Daphne Hanish
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Well as far as I know, so far I havn't been able to control sample decks with my Twitch. Itch 2.0 has sample decks in the software, but the Twitch can't control them..... Major fuck up IMO.
CHECK THE SERATO ITCH 2.1 BETA

SHIFT + HOT CUES for Sample control
Breanne Penge
Traktor's sync and library-info are solid, compared to Itch.
Not sure about sync since I don't use it, but I've found Traktor's library blows goats compared to SSL/Itch.
Evelyn Navarijo
Yesterday, I went to the local music-store, and tested the Twitch out with Traktor and Itch.

My findings... Twitch works purrrfectly with Itch.
With Traktor, indeed, the FX-section, u have to go thru so much button pushing, which isnt what u want, when it comes down to on-the-fly using FX's.
What really neat is, is the Shift-button to either use the Filter or the Gain, with the same knob.

I'm not sure if I can stream my set thru Itch, makes me stick with Traktor.

Then again,
The Slicer-mode + Looproll-mode are so much fun to toy around with while mixing.

So ultimately, let's combine forces here and each of u, who own a Twitch and played with the Mapping for Traktor, upload it in the user-mapping thread plz!

This way, we can put the idea's together and make it to an ultimate mapping, and all will gain outta it
The pads on the Twitch seem to me that they're suited to some MidiFighter-style "instant effects" and combos.
Neoma Picklesimer
Yesterday, I went to the local music-store, and tested the Twitch out with Traktor and Itch.

My findings... Twitch works purrrfectly with Itch.
With Traktor, indeed, the FX-section, u have to go thru so much button pushing, which isnt what u want, when it comes down to on-the-fly using FX's.
What really neat is, is the Shift-button to either use the Filter or the Gain, with the same knob.

I'm not sure if I can stream my set thru Itch, makes me stick with Traktor.

Then again,
The Slicer-mode + Looproll-mode are so much fun to toy around with while mixing.

This way, we can put the idea's together and make it to an ultimate mapping, and all will gain outta it
Johnetta Olewine
Well as far as I know, so far I havn't been able to control sample decks with my Twitch. Itch 2.0 has sample decks in the software, but the Twitch can't control them..... Major fuck up IMO.

I will be selling my Twitch very soon and getting the S2. I'm falling in love with the S2 more and more, especially after seeing Ean's jog FX video!
yeah I thought that might be the case man. Ah well I guess i'll wait for the Twitch 2 or just bite the bulklet and grab the vci400. Its like the twitch had so many great ideas that were being developed so well, and then at the last moment Novation just dropped the ball re the soundcard and getting sample deck incorporation with its main software partner.
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by oliosky
still actually considering selling all my shit and picking up a twitch or vci400. Has the recent twtich updates sorted out the sample deck control etc?

I will be selling my Twitch very soon and getting the S2. I'm falling in love with the S2 more and more, especially after seeing Ean's jog FX video!
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah I was kinda wondering how controllers would have new features added to them since itch is all about the 1 to 1 thing.
Johnetta Olewine
i thought itch 2.0 had sample decks and there isn't a controller available that can actually control them yet. Which sounds like a fairly monumental fuck up on serato/itch and its partners part.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I wasn't aware that itch had sample decks
Johnetta Olewine
im talking about with itch not traktor

i.e i should have typed itch not twitch
Kiyoko Wellisch
What's wrong with sample deck control? Wouldn't that be TSI issue?
Johnetta Olewine
still actually considering selling all my shit and picking up a twitch or vci400. Has the recent twtich updates sorted out the sample deck control etc?
Chasidy Heckenbach
my launchpad twitch style slicer for trakor seems to work ok http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...=22#post383657 and should be possible to use with a twitch too with some config munging.

the latest version of midimasher also has some "bomes" style passthru options so in theory it should be possible to use the slicer emulation code and just pass any other twitch midi direct to traktor so u can still use your current tsi etc.

not massively tested yet, but seems ok anyway. my launchpad config tries to emulate the two performance areas of the twitch... which will have to do until i can afford to get a real one one day

edit: question to any twitch owners... does the slicer slice continuously thru the track or just loop round one set of 8 beats? reading the doc thats the difference between mode 1 and 2?
Arianne Schechter
I use my Twitch with an APC20. This works great for custom mapping of effects. The way Twitch handles the effects section in Traktor would be my biggest criticism of the device so far. I actually find it unusable by comparison to my flexible custom APC layout. Mainly you have to go through so many button presses and knob movements that it's really hard to interact spontaneously with a mix. I believe they made a good effort for the first time around at this kind of device. I'm currently in a state of evolution with trying to repurpose the effects section to be more useful to me.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Fubar
How the touchstrips for nudging? I'm intending going for twitch, but hesitating a bit with the touchstrips since I don't grid tracks that much but play with tempo sync.
They are pretty good for nudging and seeking.

Only thing that isnt possible is scratching of course.
Hazel Oeschger
How the touchstrips for nudging? I'm intending going for twitch, but hesitating a bit with the touchstrips since I don't grid tracks that much but play with tempo sync.
Cliff Lohman
After playing around with the Twitch and the TP2 mapping a few times, I've decided to stick with Itch.

The Twitch was made for Itch or vice versa and they work flawlessly together.

The TP2 mapping does work but maybe just not how I want my controller to control Traktor. I do believe that with extensive mapping and time you could change it work the way you want it too though.

For me I believe I'll keep my X1 for Traktor and my Twitch for Itch.
Agreed.. Twitch shines with itch.. Traktor was definitely an afterthouht for novation..

Maybe somebody will come up with a genius traktor mapping someday but good luck lol..djtt tsi for twitch would probably kick ass if thy ever built one.
Deanna Holbrooks
After a month on backorder I finally got my Twitch! My first ever dj controller and i am experincing the feeling that i am sure every dj felt when they got their first peice of dj gear . Anyways here are some key points about the twitch
-it's build quality, pricing, and mobility is outstanding.
-the traktor mapping does not make use of the twitch's full potential.
-The fader and the volume fader feel just a tiny bit loose for my liking.

I had some trouble mapping the fx because the fx will only work with single fxs and group fx. But this isn't of much concern since i will use a x1 for the fx so it doesn't really affect me much. I hope that the twitch's fx and other unused buttons for perhaps other uses in the future. With a better mapping the twitch would be equally as great with traktor as it is with itch.
Candy Vardy
After playing around with the Twitch and the TP2 mapping a few times, I've decided to stick with Itch.

The Twitch was made for Itch or vice versa and they work flawlessly together.

The TP2 mapping does work but maybe just not how I want my controller to control Traktor. I do believe that with extensive mapping and time you could change it work the way you want it too though.

For me I believe I'll keep my X1 for Traktor and my Twitch for Itch.
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by zimfella
Hi guy's

just a quickquestion. Is anyone using a twitch with a pc and t pro2? And if so how much is your latency? I plan on getting one soon. Also keen to see what itch is all about.

Thanks
I use it with both. Takes a lot of time and effort to get it working well with TP2. It works ok out of the box, but there are numerous wasted buttons and other issues. The biggest one for me was group effects not working.

It's all mapable however, and if your willing to spend the time with it, it is very much worth it.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Hi guy's

just a quickquestion. Is anyone using a twitch with a pc and t pro2? And if so how much is your latency? I plan on getting one soon. Also keen to see what itch is all about.

Thanks
Le Schooling
I just got twitch and i'm having problems mapping the fx1 d/w for traktor pro 2. i downloading the mapping from novations website and everything seems to work BUT that one. has this happened to anyone else?
Laurice Migneco
Indeed, Matt Moldovers working on a template using the Modular series as well!

Cheers
D
Rosita Bourdeaux
Apparently there will be an Isotonik template for Twitch to be released soon(ish)

http://isotonikstudios.com/twitch/
Chasidy Heckenbach
U Go Zestoi!

Love to see it working with the Twitch itself.
Time to inform Santa Claus my wish-list
cheers lol. the code will work on any grid controller. any midi controller for that matter but will be much better on something that has a grid with led feedback of course.

the "devices" files in midimasher abstract the code away from the actual midi needed for any particular device.

grid pads in midimasher are named like "2,3" for "row 2, column 3" and it's those names (events) that the code uses. the devices file handles what midi is needed for each pad on the device being used.

adding a new device is mostly a case of running the learn.exe in midimasher and pressing/moving each control.
Neoma Picklesimer
U Go Zestoi!

Love to see it working with the Twitch itself.
Time to inform Santa Claus my wish-list
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Wow, nice zestoi!
cheers quite odd really that dj'ing brings out the uber geek in me these days
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wow, nice zestoi!
Chasidy Heckenbach
also - in my quest to replicate twitch/itch functionality with traktor and launchpad+djm101+scs.3d - the latest midimasher code allows u to take any (virtual) page of a device and create sub-pages in any area.

this let me take the bottom 3 rows on a launchpad and create two twitch style pad areas - where the top 4 buttons of each select the mode (sub page) and then u have 2 sets of 4 sets of 8 buttons

full led recall too on sub page switching as with any page switching in midimasher.

the "launchpad.lua" config in the latest midimasher release has these twitch areas at the bottom of page 1. hopefully be releasing a full launchpad mapping this weekend - but definitely will now be improving the slicer code anyway
Chasidy Heckenbach
Any luck on getting the Slicer Mode working with Traktor? I believe this article, http://www.djranking s.com/2011/11/0...heory-for-djs/ might be just the foundation and solution
i had a slicer working in traktor on my lpd8 and launchpad using midimasher over a month ago...

i am going to use the idea of dropping a hot cue at the start of the 8 beats tho from that blog article and always jumping to that cue point and then jumping fowards to where it needs to be. main issue i had with my code (well only issue) was that sometimes it jumped to the wrong place - jumping to a cue at the start of the beats is an awesome idea to solve that issue. guess i was just too dumb to believe of that myself... ah well...

i'll make my slicer drop a hot cue automatically when it's enabled - hotcue8 i guess since it's the least likely to get in the way of normal hotcue use.

even have the pads animated in my slicer ala twitch...

edit: since writing my slicer code i've had a decent read of the twitch user guide and am going to make mine behave like the twitch one where if u hold a pad down then it stays on that beat. two modes for when u release a) jump back to the place it would be in the 8beats as tho u hadnt pressed any beatjump or b) just continue on from that beat
Kiyoko Wellisch
What do you mean might be the foundation? They actually did it right there. Come on man! :P
Neoma Picklesimer
Any luck on getting the Slicer Mode working with Traktor? I believe this article, http://www.djranking s.com/2011/11/0...heory-for-djs/ might be just the foundation and solution

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy