Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Monroe Vandeslunt
I sent you an email about the tsi file bread freshly, but uh no reply?
Deon Arrabito
Originally Posted by D-Kem
oh and with fader fx i set up instant loads on the fx pads (8 set so far with parameters). Gonna add another 8 when i find time)
Keep it up man! your are the twitch saver! lol
Lauretta Ehrhorn
oh and with fader fx i set up instant loads on the fx pads (8 set so far with parameters). Gonna add another 8 when i find time)
Lauretta Ehrhorn
The tsi sounds interesting bud. Will check out yours and send you mine in case there's anything you would like to include (much improved browser functionality on mine.
Birgit Myrda

http://www.htd.com/LGB-1#

posted this a while back incase some one needed a small preamp....

Im not sue that adding up the main and the booth on the same channel would give any db increase, the only way i found to get an increase is to put booth and main on two different channels of the mixer, thats what i do usually....

At home I use a small studio mixer with the Twitch master on channel 2/3 and booth on 4/5 all i have to do then is adjust the levels to be the same and im good, the downside to this is that when i play out its hard to find a mixer with 2 free channels so i usually have to unplug stuff and thats annoying....

How exactly did you add up the booth and main on the TWITCH?
Flor Jagers
I actually just finished up Fader FX I used Reverse Grain, but I'm pretty sure there can be a better effect used here. Gotta experiment some more.

But for now... Beer!
Deon Arrabito
Originally Posted by Bread Freshley
After I did some believeing, I'm totally wrong here. Disregard all of this, lol. Can't do anything with firmware because the onboard card isn't receiving enough power to pump out a high gain signal, which is why combining booth and main outputs is the fastest and cheapest and most accessible fix for the low output problem.

Also, the outs are Main (Twitch 0, Twitch 1) and Headphone Cue (Twitch 2, Twitch 3) so please excuse my fault, lolol
How is your custom TP2 mapping goin? I cann't wait to try that thought.
Kittie Aitchison
Originally Posted by khemfusion
Anybody else sold their Twitch yet????
I may "ditch" Twitch after I receive the Vestax VCI-400 EGE but will still use Itch for my NS7.
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by Bread Freshley
Novation says they can't fix it with a firmware update? Try again, nerds. Just make a 3rd audio output that combines the booth and main channels into one.

Currently, Twitch only has 2 output channels. The Main (Twitch 0, Twitch 1) and the Booth (Twitch 2, Twitch 3). This problem could be solved with a firmware update by adding a 3rd output channel (Twitch 4, Twitch 5) that simply combines both signals. It's not that hard, guys. I'd write it myself, but I'm already fixing their extremely lacking Traktor mapping lol.

Now I just need to find someone that has experience in firmware editing and audio routing...
After I did some believeing, I'm totally wrong here. Disregard all of this, lol. Can't do anything with firmware because the onboard card isn't receiving enough power to pump out a high gain signal, which is why combining booth and main outputs is the fastest and cheapest and most accessible fix for the low output problem.

Also, the outs are Main (Twitch 0, Twitch 1) and Headphone Cue (Twitch 2, Twitch 3) so please excuse my fault, lolol
Hazel Oeschger
Talk to djtt staff, I'd love to see a custom layout with a good mapping
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
This is exactly the reason, why I didn't buy the Twitch.

It works awesome with Itch, but sucked goats at Traktor.

I'm looking forward to your video showing off the goods. Keep us posted. And send this TSI file - when it's in Final version - to Novation. Ask for a free goodie to pick out of their range in return
I'm sending them the .tsi along with my resume and a formal request to line up everyone involved with the Traktor mapping so I can punch them square in the jaw, hahahaha. I'm just offended at how little effort they put into Traktor!
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by aether
@Bread

How did you fix your soundcard?
You can bridge the main and booth together into 2 RCAs, or you can use a small headphone preamp like one of the other users above had said. Personally, I believe Novation should send Twitch owners one of three things...

-A cash rebate, say like 50 bucks or so just to help ease the sting of buying a product that doesn't have the same output levels as everything else in the industry. (And that's about how much a decent preamp will cost)

-A custom cable that bridges the main and booth outputs, giving you RCA outs. Doing this doubles the line audio, raising it 3-6db (The controller is only lacking 3db, I believe? Not positive here.) I just have two 1/4" to Single RCA connected by a 2 RCA to 1 RCA, then connect those with an RCA cable. Kinda McGuyver, but it'll look a lot better once I get some electrical tape to hold it all together.

-A damn preamp! And preferably a USB-powered one at that. I have an Audio2 DJ, but I can't use that because if I route the audio through the 2, where's my mic going to come from? I'd have to be using the Twitch as the sound card to use the inputs.

Right now I just have the plugs combining the booth and main output. It's the most cost-effective and fast fix for this thing. Novation says they can't fix it with a firmware update? Try again, nerds. Just make a 3rd audio output that combines the booth and main channels into one.

Currently, Twitch only has 2 output channels. The Main (Twitch 0, Twitch 1) and the Booth (Twitch 2, Twitch 3). This problem could be solved with a firmware update by adding a 3rd output channel (Twitch 4, Twitch 5) that simply combines both signals. It's not that hard, guys. I'd write it myself, but I'm already fixing their extremely lacking Traktor mapping lol.

Now I just need to find someone that has experience in firmware editing and audio routing...
Neoma Picklesimer
This is exactly the reason, why I didn't buy the Twitch.

It works awesome with Itch, but sucked goats at Traktor.

I'm looking forward to your video showing off the goods. Keep us posted. And send this TSI file - when it's in Final version - to Novation. Ask for a free goodie to pick out of their range in return
Tandy Auzenne
@Bread

How did you fix your soundcard?
Flor Jagers
I'm currently working on a performance-oriented mapping for the Twitch to be used with Traktor 2. I bought the Twitch because of the form factor and built-in soundcard (Yeah I know it's quiet, but I fixed mine. Ask me how ) and because after sales and discounts, I only spent 400 dollars.
It's unfortunate that the Novation employee tasked with creating this mapping didn't go into the ordeal with performance in mind. There are drum pads all over this controller, why am I using toggle buttons to activate my effects and why can I only use 1 effect at a time? This seemed very limiting to me so I completely revamped the FX section, giving you momentary control over multiple effects banks for each deck (As opposed to toggle control like it is now. YUCK!). I've added the ever-popular echo freeze (In 8 bar and 16 bar lengths) fixed the sensitivity on the tempo/pitch knob (It was too slow when turning normal, too fast when pushed down) removed the ENTIRE beatgrid section (It's 2012 and we're controllerists. You should have had your track gridded properly before you started playing it, dummy.) and replaced with ***SLICER FUNCTIONALITY*** on the fly. If you've played with the MF Deckalized mapping, then this is your shit. It just doesn't loop the way the MF did, I had a lot of problems with that and I feel that I can be a lot more creative with the Slicer if I'm not stuck in a loop while it's active. This way I can create massive glitched out builds and drop into any part of the song I'm slicing using the touch strip. I've added LEDs all over the place, the shift buttons blink with the BPM, loops are now on the knob above the volume faders and work the same way the S4/X1 do it (turn knob for value, click for set/remove loop) and I'll be working on implementing a toggle switch for Fader FX just the way the Itch mapping has it.

I really really love this controller. It's everything I've wanted in a piece of hardware, pretty much ever. The touchstrips are surprisingly more accurate than I thought they would be. Not gimmicky at all. The build quality is excellent, but not top notch. I immediately noticed a difference in the drag on my volume faders and crossfader.
With all of that said, Novation has royally SCREWED the Traktor users. They're effectively blocking TONS of people from using their controller just because of how weak this mapping is, and that's why I'm fixing it and making it work the way I want it to.

If anyone on the community s here would like a copy of my .tsi while I'm working on it to help me beta test, PLEASE send an e-mail to me at breadsofresh(at)gmail.com. I'm hardly ever signed into the community s and this is the fastest way to reach me. I've only had the controller for 4 days and the mapping is almost complete. Since the mapping is in such a stage of infancy, I'd prefer to give the .tsi to people that are familiar with advanced Traktor mapping techniques until I can get everything tighter. Skype is a plus, because if you're having problems I'm going to want to see them on the screen and on the controller.

Thanks for reading guys, and don't worry. I'll be hopefully be done this weekend so I can post a video tutorial/walkthrough of my mapping
-Bread

P.S. If I don't post in this thread again soon, e-mail me and tell me to quit being a lazy-ass.
Tatum Ansaldo
Use the big import button in controller prefs (at the bottom of the window) and make sure the IN and OUT ports are both set to twitch, not all ports.
Mario Rothert
Originally Posted by deckster
hi guys,

Im havin quite a bit of trouble getting my twitch to work with traktor pro2 v2.13 or similar. I was using traktor scratch pro with 2 x1s my decks and ive decided to go the digital route. Ok so enough with the bs. I have installed the new drivers for twitch also the update to itch 2.1 and everything works great. but i want to use traktor pro 2 an x1 and twitch but traktor pro 2 does not recognise twitch inside the midi controlls page. I dont know what to do. By the way i downloaded the tsi in the novation website and every time i import the file traktor stops recieving midi from the controller.

If any of you have gotten this far thanx and PLEASE write back if you have any cvlue as of to what the problem might be.

THanx once again!!!
Make sure the tsi is loaded and make sure your audio settings are switched to twitch unless you're using and external sound card. Make sure you have downloaded the mapping from bovations website and just open your setting and on the bottom left, once in controller setup, click
Import and choose where your tsi file is at. These guys know more than me about twitch and prolly traktor itself but I'm speaking from personal experience of having twitch for the past week so far.

BTW my twitch and BCD3000 combo I'm seriously digging. I'm in the process of mapping more of the buttons on the BCD to do other stuff such as certant combo effect together on one knob turn. And also working on setting us the jog wheels as XY filters like on the S2 mapping Ian did. Also working on XY filters for the volume faders as well, since I only need two and I'm
Using twitch for those.

I need to map the effects knobs and buttons on twitch because I'm a 3 effect person myself and once switching them the effect features on the twitch don't work. Serious mapping/ test and trial going on. But over all my little set up is pretty good to my standards. This next weekend I'm going to be working on building my own flight case instead of dropping a crap load on buying ones.
Hoyt Galliano
hi guys,

Im havin quite a bit of trouble getting my twitch to work with traktor pro2 v2.13 or similar. I was using traktor scratch pro with 2 x1s my decks and ive decided to go the digital route. Ok so enough with the bs. I have installed the new drivers for twitch also the update to itch 2.1 and everything works great. but i want to use traktor pro 2 an x1 and twitch but traktor pro 2 does not recognise twitch inside the midi controlls page. I dont know what to do. By the way i downloaded the tsi in the novation website and every time i import the file traktor stops recieving midi from the controller.

If any of you have gotten this far thanx and PLEASE write back if you have any cvlue as of to what the problem might be.

THanx once again!!!
Clinton Voran
Shift + Hot Cues will put the trigger pads into SP-6 mode. You get 6 samples per deck and you have 4 sample decks to play with. A + B are on deck 1. C + D are on deck 2. Triggers 1-6 are your samples, 7+8 are your select buttons to go from A to B on Deck 1 and C to D on Deck 2. Samples can be synced and even beatgrid synced. You can also load pretty much anything in as samples as long as it's a Itch compatible format file.
Bok Blandino
How exactly do i use the sp-6 with the twitch?
Sook Kitaoka
Why would I do that? The Twitch has more control in a smaller form factor than everything else. As far as I'm concerned, I'm missing nothing other than an X-Y pad (like the Korg PADcontrol), but I picked up OSCulator and TouchOSC on my phone for that... problem solved. I also had a problem with the Master - Cue knob, but I simply set the knob to be a "Cue Crossfader" by setting the controls to external... and it works (not as designed in Traktor, but it works in Itch as designed).

You simply cannot replicate the 'advanced' "Slicer mode" of Itch (via Twitch) in Traktor without a lot of pre-prep beat cues. The SP-6 makes Itch (version 2.1) at least on par with Traktor Pro 2.x when in two deck (and two sample decks) mode, but "Bridge" is coming for Itch and this controller already has Ableton live mapping. If Serato makes an upcoming version of Itch with MIDI mappable commands, I believe we're going to see an even closer competition for "Top Dog" DJ Software.

T.B.H., I understand Itch is 4-deck capable (which doesn't exclude the SP-6), but I haven't tried to explore that yet.
Birgit Myrda
Anybody else sold their Twitch yet????
Candy Vardy
Well guys its been fun but I'm officially no longer a Twitch owner.

After playing around with the Twitch for the last 4 months, I decided that the Twitch just wasn't suited for my needs. I'm a Traktor guy, and even though I had fun with Itch, I just missed Traktor and TBH the Traktor mapping wasn't the greatest, and I'm not a mapping ninja either.

So I sold it a cpl of days ago and jumped on the DJTT S2 deal. Should be getting the S2 next week.

Have fun guys.
Mario Rothert
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
do you have the headphone cue button (on the gui in traktor) switched on for the deck you're trying to cue?
-_- I feel so stupid, to say what was wrong. The headphone volume next to the mix knob and aux knob on the tractor cross fader area wasn't turned up. I was so excited I finally got it. But pissed because I feel like an idiot. Thanks everyone for the help!

But now onto the discussion of the Twitch. I believe it's an amazing and very innovative controller. I've only given it about an hour or so of performance time, but I have seemed to like it very much! I'm not using it as the main sound output for my master, I'm using the BCD3000 for that, I can DEFIANTLY hear the sound quality difference, so I'm sticking with the BCD for the master output.

In the future I will try the booth and master switch to see how it works, or get a external sound card. But I'm happy with the set up for now. Anyone have a recordation for splitting a usb port? so I can attach maybe 1 or 2 attachments to it?
Tatum Ansaldo
do you have the headphone cue button (on the gui in traktor) switched on for the deck you're trying to cue?
Mario Rothert
Now for some reason Twitch isn't even mapping and controlling Traktor like it WAS. And still no cue. Only get master out in the head phones. Audio setup is correct how you guys said. And I've checked online as well and it's just how you guys are saying. But still nothing.
Mario Rothert
check the cue/mix knob in traktor. It should be at 100%.
At 100% it just kills the sound. (kill meaning no sound)
Tatum Ansaldo
check the cue/mix knob in traktor. It should be at 100%.
Mario Rothert
Originally Posted by lilmo2100
that's exactly how it looks but still nothing. I honestly believe it's something going on in Traktor. I plug my head phones into Twitch and I have monitor music, but no cue and same thing with the BCD3000. I'm really confused as to what it could be.
And yes cue is working fine in Itch....
Mario Rothert
that's exactly how it looks but still nothing. I honestly believe it's something going on in Traktor. I plug my head phones into Twitch and I have monitor music, but no cue and same thing with the BCD3000. I'm really confused as to what it could be.
Birgit Myrda
Sorry for posting so much. But this is actually worrying me a little. Because it's not just on Twitch that my cue in the head phones isn't working. It's also on my BCD3000 it's not. So I'm figuring it's a Traktor issue somehow. But I never had this problem until I had the twitch. And I'm believeing maybe the update of the driver messed it up. IDK what to do. UGH!

This is how it should be, is the cue output working well in Itch?

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Mario Rothert
Sorry for posting so much. But this is actually worrying me a little. Because it's not just on Twitch that my cue in the head phones isn't working. It's also on my BCD3000 it's not. So I'm figuring it's a Traktor issue somehow. But I never had this problem until I had the twitch. And I'm believeing maybe the update of the driver messed it up. IDK what to do. UGH!
Mario Rothert
Yup now that I'm home and trying it. It's still not working......This is weird. It worked when I TRIED Itch, but not in Traktor
Mario Rothert
output routing. Assuming we are talking about traktor, not itch.
Yes Traktor. I did that last evening but it still did not work. And then I don't remember a 1234 I remember 0123 for the outputs.
Tatum Ansaldo
output routing. Assuming we are talking about traktor, not itch.
Mario Rothert
Where would I do that at? In settings I'm figuring....but where?
Birgit Myrda
Off topic and random. But can someone help me with the Twitch. Just got it yesterday. Fell in love with it! But the only problem I'm having is that I can't cue in my head phones the next song. Am I missing something that I need to do? Cause I can't figure it out. HELP!

Traktor or Itch?

In Traktor you need to select the outputs 3/4 for the cue and 1/2 for the master, in Itch it should work on its own.....
Mario Rothert
Off topic and random. But can someone help me with the Twitch. Just got it yesterday. Fell in love with it! But the only problem I'm having is that I can't cue in my head phones the next song. Am I missing something that I need to do? Cause I can't figure it out. HELP!
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by fdawg
you dude cheers for the help, the manual that came with my twitch had 2 short paragraphs on sync and didnt have anything on the different types of sync.
Yeah, that little quick start guide was pretty useless.
Lorine Krattli
anyone got any further with a decent Traktor Mapping for the Twitch?

I have 0 mapping skills otherwsie I would jump in.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy