Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Candida Ancog
can a twich Ableton user explain how to map Ableton so the 'performance mode" buttons on the twitch change the performance pads. So I can have it like say 4 sets of 8 pads/
Nicki Fromme
Originally Posted by DigitalTiger
You can replace them, there are Phillips head screws on the top surface and they can be replaced with innofaders.
replacing the channel faders and cross fader with innofaders is like 300+ dollars which is the cost of the unit. there must be a cheaper solution.. i just need a picture of the potentiometer and the pin placement for the board . do they look like the ones from the VCI 100?
Eva Scuderi
Originally Posted by mikevad
Grunching, sorry.

I was looking through some of the used gear at a local music shop, and I saw a used twitch selling for ~100. The condition of the controller looked pretty good for a used unit. I'm considering picking it up as a backup controller, but I play on traktor. I was wondering if you guys could help me out:

-Is this a fair price for the unit fair?
-Is the overlay/flow of the controller good for traktor?
It's quite good deal for me. And yes the overlay is useful for Traktor user
Jon Raffi
Now that you have mentioned it. I believe i am gonna start looking for them as well.
Donella Bentch
Any news about a coming Twitch MK2 ?
Here in Germany the main stores does not list it anymore.
Sook Kitaoka
Geez, I don't remember, but I seem to recall (almost) all faders being pretty much the same. I know it has that pin-in-hole style connector, but not much else. You can replace the Twitch faders with anything that will fit (some faders don't because of the shallow hole).
Nicki Fromme
You can replace them, there are Phillips head screws on the top surface and they can be replaced with innofaders.
replacing the channel faders and cross fader with innofaders is like 300+ dollars which is the cost of the unit. there must be a cheaper solution.. i just need a picture of the potentiometer and the pin placement for the board . do they look like the ones from the VCI 100?
Sook Kitaoka
Nicki Fromme
does anybody have a picture of the cross fader and the channel faders? i want to replace some but i don't have the unit my self with me. i wast to buy one but i want to make sure i can get the parts.
Oren Rodziewicz
I'm looking at getting twitch or pioneer's ddj-sb but leaning more towards twitch for basic mixing and for use with ableton and serato's the bridge.

I don't care about the volume output as I'd primarily use it for home use. My main thing is, how it works now with serato dj, the bridge and the remote app for ipad? ableton being the MAIN, main thing. Launching and moving between scenes/clips and effecting clips individually FROM twitch or would that require an external device like ipad or something like from novations Launch line? as I would like to live edit and extended versions of my own tracks made in ableton.
Eva Scuderi
Originally Posted by mikevad
Grunching, sorry.

I was looking through some of the used gear at a local music shop, and I saw a used twitch selling for ~100. The condition of the controller looked pretty good for a used unit. I'm considering picking it up as a backup controller, but I play on traktor. I was wondering if you guys could help me out:

It's quite good deal for me. And yes the overlay is useful for Traktor user
Kristi Killingworth
Grunching, sorry.

Eva Scuderi
Wanna share my story here....

Twitch is my favorite controller I have ever used. I also have owned Mixtrack Pro, NS6, and VCI-400 before I got Twitch. Anyway, now I only use it at home because of its low output volume problem. I have seen many users said that they just turn the gain knob of a club mixer to get the output level they want, but sometimes it isn't an available choice.

I was in that situation when I was during the gig last April in Songkran Festival (Water playing festival in Thailand ). We had to play outdoor and the sound volume weren't loud enough. The sound engineer also refused to change any setting, which he told me that the manager didn't allow him to make any changes (He just sitting there playing Angry Birds on his iPad all the time lol).

On that day my team were the last team playing. We was shocked after seeing the mixer, which the gain knobs of all channels had been turned to the max, also the master volume. This is probably the worst situation of Twitch's user imo.

Here is what I had done trying to get the output volume matching with my friends (They used CDJ, DDJ-SX, and Traktor S2):

1. Turning Traktor master level to its max -> Still get nowhere near the others
2. Adding Gain of each deck, until reaching the max -> The volume is still lower than the others
3. Turn off Limiter -> Now I can match the volume, together with adding distortion to my beloved track. The sound quality was very bad.

So I ended up doing 1 and 2 and kept my job done sadly. Not only the volume, but the sound quality is the worst I have played. No need to talk about clippings. The VU Meter had hit the red since the start of the festival.

Anyway, what other people said is still true, Twitch's low output volume is not a critical issue for most evening club's sound system. But in some rare situations, you will be in trouble...

I just bought Traktor Z1 and X1 mk2 to replace my Twitch, and the sound quality I get is much better imo. However, I still missed the interface and the workflow of Twitch with my custom mapping.

I'm hoping that Novation will release the new version of Twitch with optional power supply soon.

Sorry for my English though
Vickie Scheier
I've had my twitch for about 4-5 months and I love it. It is my first controller as I am relatively new to the digital age of djing. I took my 1200s out of storage recently after over 10 years. Needless to say, the landscape of dj set ups has changed dramatically from 10-12 years ago and I am playing catch up. I got SSL hooked up to my 1200s and I got the twitch through a DJTT member trade. I had a NI X1 with my DVS set up but had to get rid of it. Recently I started mapping the twitch to SSL as a midi controller to add another dimension. It works great but I haven't found a good mapping that I feel comfortable with. So my question is, has anybody else mapped their twitch to control SSL with their DVS set up? If so, what mapping do you use? I'm sorry if this has already been posted. I tried searching for it but had no luck. I have a SL1 set up by the way.
Neoma Picklesimer
What's your latency in Traktor? above 20ms?
What's your setting on the driver? 256 , 512 or higher/lower?
Are u running PC or MAC?

If PC, check these 2 links out:
http://www.djranking s.com/2009/07/1...e_windows_djs/
http://blog.dubspot.com/optimize-you...ic-production/
Margot Stevinson
I'd like to bump my question posted in June if that's ok - see above please - cheers
Margot Stevinson
B]General Enquiry for anyone who'd like to comment.[/B]
I'm running Traktor on my Twitch with the 'Novation USB ASIO Diver' - not sure if this is the best driver to load for this, but I'm getting poor reaction times from the hot cue pads etc., certainly much slower than when I was using Itch (which I wasn't too keen on that's why I changed).

If you feel this is the best driver set to use - what would you suggest the setting are for the best results and if you have a better driver set idea? - please could you give me a pointer.

Thanking you in advance of your replies.
Tommy Thiner
Originally Posted by jhoward06
Haha I get that 100% but it's the internet at work really. People post over on Serato/Novation like they plug it in and it whispers which brings up a bit of concern.
I use to own a Twitch & although the output isn't as loud it's def. not a deal breaker. The lower output is due to the controller being usb powered. If the unit had an ac connection the output would be much greater. You do have to turn the gain up more then usual but I never found the controller to not need the dB's that I was looking for.
Cora Younginer
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
I still don't get why people complain about the output. That's literally what the gain knob is for. How do people believe us vinyl DJs handle a crappy record?

Haha I get that 100% but it's the internet at work really. People post over on Serato/Novation like they plug it in and it whispers which brings up a bit of concern.
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by MeetsMandy
Thought that would be the reasons, would this make the mixer on the twitch redundant?
Not even redundant since the controls on the Pioneer can't be used to control anything in Itch...it's literally just acting as a through for your Twitch's audio. I mean, sure you can adjust the volume fader to affect overall output, that's about the only thing the mixer'll do to your output
Kiyoko Wellisch
I still don't get why people complain about the output. That's literally what the gain knob is for. How do people believe us vinyl DJs handle a crappy record?
Donella Bentch
I'm looking to purchase a Twitch I believe relatively soon. Is it true that when using Traktor it has a louder output than in Serato ITCH? I'll likely want to use Traktor anyway but I found that online and it made me scratch my head. Also is the output REALLY that big of a downside? I see a lot of mixed answers, some say yes and some say no. If I plug into a vacant mixer channel and kick the gain up will I be able to come in at about the same sound as the club CD decks? Are there any other issues I should know of before looking to buy? Thanks
Traktor has louder output than Serato. If you plug it to an modern Mixer with powerful Pre-Gain Amp
Wynell Muma
Thought that would be the reasons, would this make the mixer on the twitch redundant?
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by MeetsMandy
Noobish question here, Can someone tell me all the pro's and cons of me running my novation twitch through a Pioneer DJM-300 mixer.
The software I use is Itch! It's took me ages to find a group of people who use the same controller, no one on the internet seem to have an answer for anything regarding the twitch
Pros - you can boost the signal

Cons - I dont see any.
Wynell Muma
Noobish question here, Can someone tell me all the pro's and cons of me running my novation twitch through a Pioneer DJM-300 mixer.
The software I use is Itch! It's took me ages to find a group of people who use the same controller, no one on the internet seem to have an answer for anything regarding the twitch
Cora Younginer
It was an old post on the Serato community s but it went nowhere. Apparently some guy routed audio through his soundcard on accident for iTunes and it was blaring, but in Serato is wasn't as loud and hitting the limiter. I found it this morning on Google. I guess if its REALLY that bad of an issue I can use my ADJ2 but I'd just prefer to have an all in one solution. Thanks for the quick reply.
Breanne Penge
is the output REALLY that big of a downside? I see a lot of mixed answers, some say yes and some say no.
I say no, never had a problem at a club or at home.

If I plug into a vacant mixer channel and kick the gain up will I be able to come in at about the same sound as the club CD decks? Are there any other issues I should know of before looking to buy? Thanks
This is why I haven't had an issue, I usually plug into a vacant channel mixer, or an input on some head.

Though at home, I go into my PA and can still crank it up to annoy the neighbors. I can't comment on the traktor/serato output difference if there is one. Never heard that before.

:P
Cora Younginer
I'm looking to purchase a Twitch I believe relatively soon. Is it true that when using Traktor it has a louder output than in Serato ITCH? I'll likely want to use Traktor anyway but I found that online and it made me scratch my head. Also is the output REALLY that big of a downside? I see a lot of mixed answers, some say yes and some say no. If I plug into a vacant mixer channel and kick the gain up will I be able to come in at about the same sound as the club CD decks? Are there any other issues I should know of before looking to buy? Thanks
Zena Multerer
Originally Posted by ayanB
Hm... In my output channel routing I have output monitor output master and output recording. In all drop down menu I have only 2 options: 1: line out L 2: line out R and can be choosen just once. iI've tried all combinations but no results. I have my audio settings on build it soundcard: Twitch.

I have itch installed but I prefer traktor because of great fx.
I believe you have to set your soundcard to novation one. And then go to your controller mapping and change the input and output to Twitch.
Tonisha Alders
Have you loaded the Novation drivers?
All seems OK now. I switched to a PCI USB3 card.
Sook Kitaoka
Have you loaded the Novation drivers?
Tonisha Alders
Hi. New user here. Had the Twitch for over a week and loving it. However I've had stability issues since the last firmware update which kicked in a Saturday when I launched Itch. Anyone else have issues? Basically I had flickering LED's on the pads for a bit then it went away. Now today during a mix in VDJ the Twitch suddenly just powered itself off and then came back on. But I had to relaunch VDJ to get it to work again. Also from day one if I take the USB cable out while in Itch etc Windows 7 hangs and I have to power off the PC and reboot.
Tonisha Alders
Yo guys. Just got my Twitch and trying to get it setup with VDJ. I've hit an issue with using the mic. I read the info about how it should be done and you have to set it to deck 3 in 4 deck mode. However none of the effects work. If I set the mic to deck 1 or 2 the effects work fine. However it takes over the music that's playing (I.E. You cannot have both running). The only other way is to speak over one deck whilst the other is playing music. But I should be able to use effects on decks 3 and 4. It does not work. I can hear my voice but just cannot use the effects.

Any ideas?

BTW the mapping for the Twitch in VDJ 7.4 is incorrect and the old mapper downloadable on their site does not work either. So don't bother trying to use it. Just let VDJ detect the Twitch. To use the loop roll function in VDJ make sure to change the pad parameters loop_roll instead of loop and make sure there is a space before the : for it to work with taking your finger off the pad or it will playback continuously until you hit the pad again (preference really).

Loving this controller
Tashia Vista
thats pretty badass, i guess there's no going back to serato though once youve stuck it on?
Jayme Biechy
Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

Audrey Pinda
Just ordered a Twitch. Probably wasn't the best financial decision, but I wanted something I could tool around on easily when not using the 1200's w/ Serato...

I'm pretty excited honestly. Will give me a good way to play tunes over friends places who don't have tables, be a lot easier to bring around. If a gig doesn't have tables or CDJ's? Well, I try not to take those... but now I'll be ready. And I'm excited to play around with it. I've thought it looked neat since it first came out.

We shall see. Either way I got a good deal (pricematched w/ 4 payment plan through zzsounds.com) and I'm looking forward to it.

Not planning on giving up the turntables for regular gigs, but this should be fun to use when I don't want to lug everything around
Francine Mcdougal
Mac, tried that. Talked to Novation yesterday and we confirmed it's a defective unit.
Donella Bentch
Mac or Windows? Install the latest USB-Driver V.2.5 from Novations Website
Francine Mcdougal
Hey everyone! Ordered a Twitch from a fellow DJTT member. Plugged it in and I get the KITT lights... but no recognition on any program. I've tried installing drivers, etc. no success. So bummed. Does anyone have any ideas?
Kiyoko Wellisch
I have literally no idea. It's a problem you solve by turning up the gain knob on the club mixer or turning up your amp at home. People have been doing this with quiet records forever, that's why the gain knob is even there :P

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy