Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Larita Smaga
Evanb:

Download Itch 2.1 public beta (it's the best version yet).

Plug in.
tatana sterba
Out of the box with itch how well does the twitch work? How much setup time is involved
Barney Hiscox
Hm... In my output channel routing I have output monitor output master and output recording. In all drop down menu I have only 2 options: 1: line out L 2: line out R and can be choosen just once. iI've tried all combinations but no results. I have my audio settings on build it soundcard: Twitch.

I have itch installed but I prefer traktor because of great fx.
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by ayanB
Hello!
I've just bought twitch yesterday and I've encountered some problems in traktor. (I don't like itch yet). I've downloaded novation maping for traktor and I've found out that PFL knob is not working. I mean he colors red and traktor shows that I'm playing deck trough phones but I don't hear no sound in my phones. If I turn fader up I hear sound in my phones. But if I level it down and pres PFL button I can't hear nothing :S

Any ideas of what is happening?
Thanks
Hey, you need to fix your output channel routing in Traktor, it should be 1-2 master, 3-4 cue. Also make sure that you are in internal mode.

If you have not done so yet try installing the latest Itch 2.1, its still Beta but its running great for me!!

Has anyone else found Itch 2.1 more stable then Itch 2.0??
Barney Hiscox
Hello!
I've just bought twitch yesterday and I've encountered some problems in traktor. (I don't like itch yet). I've downloaded novation maping for traktor and I've found out that PFL knob is not working. I mean he colors red and traktor shows that I'm playing deck trough phones but I don't hear no sound in my phones. If I turn fader up I hear sound in my phones. But if I level it down and pres PFL button I can't hear nothing :S

Any ideas of what is happening?
Thanks
N I
This is hilarious. I was clearing out my old bookmarks, and had one set for this thread, at page 3 ha ha... took a solid 30 minutes to browse through all the new posts.

I'm so happy to see so many pleased Twitch users, I'm still very much in love with the machine and I to have been using the Chris Cartledge article for some interesting remapping, to top of my already tight loop and one hit sample deck configuration for the C and D deck.

I still haven't found a way to change the sensitivity of the touch strip though, I find myself using the mousepad on my laptop because the strip is too rough and quick.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
The mapping is rubbish. Nice as a starter point but serious remapping required imo to get decent results in Traktor. Not completely satisfied yet but getting there.
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by DaveRukus
There is traktor mapping, I haven't tried it yet. But will soon....anyone here have a twitch an running traktor successfully?
It works ok, but the effects don't work for groupings and the pitch control doesn't have the acceleration, making it kind of annoying when adjusting it.
Stacey Buggie
There is traktor mapping, I haven't tried it yet. But will soon....anyone here have a twitch an running traktor successfully?
Kandra Fagler
I have just played with the twitch extensively the other day
Unfortunately the shop had an older version of twitch (not 2.0)

The hardware felt okay, the knobs felt really stiff (and not too nice) but the touch strips are surprisingly okay to use, still wont compare to the jog resolution of the S2/S4 but for basic nudging it actually works okay

The only thing is as a traktor user I dont believe I can ever get used to using serato again, I switched from serato (sl1) to traktor over 2 years ago and now that Im a traktor user its really hard to get used to the serato software (both itch and ssl)

I would be really interested if novation came out with a controller that is built for traktor (instead of the twitch which some said really shines with the serato itch software)
Pat Chaim
great vid!
he also has another one thats good!
Ninfa Larranaga
anybody seen this? crazy shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4mb3Ukx8U
Hipolito Scionti
I aint got a twitch... or ableton.

But here's a vid showing twitch with ableton

http://youtu.be/eLbibADLa80
Kiyoko Wellisch
It's just really boring in comparison to what you could make if you put even a little bit of effort into it. I mean uses those pads for beat gridding tracks, seriously? They couldn't be bothered to implement anything more exciting than that?
Kandra Fagler
another question for twitch owners: may i know what is wrong with the traktor 2 twitch mapping? From the novation youtube video it looks pretty usable?

am believeing to get a twitch and use it with traktor and also try out itch
Sook Kitaoka
Originally Posted by kevz718
Agreed - itch here too.. Great for nudging and stuff like that..

Scratching is a no go of course
I suppose that 'might' be true until we figure out how to unlock velocity sensitive movement of the touch strips. I've had my Twitch for a little over a month and I believe I understand enough about what's going on to start tweaking what I don't like about the pre-sets (like Loop Roll settings mapped too long to be an effective Glitch tool).

P.S. Someone asked how we like manual beat matching with Twitch. Reply: This is a really strong part of the nudge option in Itch. In Traktor Pro, I don't know why I'd use it because if I've gridded everything nicely previously, the Synch (Auto Beat Match) option simply works (especially with Tone Lock on).
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Mojaxx
Nice one.

I'm currently carrying mine in the front of a USD Courier Bag Deluxe, and it's a great fit but I do worry about the knobs. A friend has owned a Twitch longer and the master FX knobs are all way looser than they used to be, he blames transporting it.

On an unrelated note... I bought some of the DJ TechTools fader caps having read on here that they fit the Twitch... They don't. They're too loose, you can knock them off horizontal really easily and then the faders don't move smoothly.

They're a lovely product but I wouldn't buy them for a Twitch.
Hmm.. This is odd.. Ive got the faders on the xfader and the 2 fxfaders and they fit great.. I havent had them come loose at all.. The faders seemed like a great improvement on the fxfaders. I am likely taking the xfader one off tho as i realized that rubber and xfaders are not for me. Need something slippery on the xfader.

Just recently saw a nice fader cap made from metal that looks like itll fit anything as its got a little set screw on it. If the djtt ones dont work, u could try those. Theyre like 7 bucks tho. I ordered one to mess around with.

And the twitch knobs in general are horrible compared to other knobs. They just dont feel right.. I REALLY wish the djtt knobs fit nicely on twitch cuz its begging for upgrade.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by jprime
The Touchstrips are fantastic. I'm on Itch mind - not Traktor.
Agreed - itch here too.. Great for nudging and stuff like that..

Scratching is a no go of course
Kandra Fagler
has anyone tried opening of the twitch and see if the faders are easily replaceable?
Cliff Lohman
Posted this on the Serato community but thought it worth posting here too...

I use decksavers on my Pioneer gear and I'm very happy with them.

I've got a Twitch now, and I believe a flightcase would be excessive for it, but I'm worried about the faders and knobs getting damaged in my bag.

Have sent a couple of messages to Decksaver asking them to hurry up and get a Twitch one released, but it would be really helpful if some other users could let them know there is demand for it.

Their twitter is @decksaver and their Facebook is Facebook.com/decksaver

Thanks!
I have a bag thats for the vci100 or 300 and its pretty nice.. I believe udg makes it. Its got a red vestax logo on it. 50-60 dollars. Good for travel and can be shoved inside a luggage if need be.
Cliff Lohman

I've got a Twitch now, and I believe a flightcase would be excessive for it, but I'm worried about the faders and knobs getting damaged in my bag.

Have sent a couple of messages to Decksaver asking them to hurry up and get a Twitch one released, but it would be really helpful if some other users could let them know there is demand for it.

Thanks!
I have a bag thats for the vci100 or 300 and its pretty nice.. I believe udg makes it. Its got a red vestax logo on it. 50-60 dollars. Good for travel and can be shoved inside a luggage if need be.
remy deroche
i'm using traktor. its fine same as a touch wheel. nudging is swiping left or right.
Breanne Penge
The Touchstrips are fantastic. I'm on Itch mind - not Traktor.
Kandra Fagler
Twitch owners: how do you find the touch strip for manual beat matching? Always wondered how well they work
Nana Mohs
Originally Posted by DigitalTiger

Maybe someone can direct me to the UBER-Tweaker section?
Sook Kitaoka
I love my Twitch, it sounds great and it gives me so much control over the live stream that I've found myself making "Happy Accidents" on purpose. I couldn't ask for a better controller (using Traktor Pro 2) but I wish some of the "selling points" (like the Slicer Mode and Volume/Effect Slider toggle) were available on Traktor as well.

I'm hoping to find other people to discuss how our 'Twitch tweaks' are coming along. I'm rather confused when it comes to mapping the "Touch Strip" sensitivity and assigning the trigger buttons in the various modes.

Maybe someone can direct me to the UBER-Tweaker section?
Geraldo Ligus
I've been eyeing them for a while and saw they're going for $340 on ebay so I couldn't resist. Can't wait for it to get here!
Breanne Penge
What a stellar piece of gear - I am absolutely loving mine

: rave :
Larita Smaga
Nice one.

I'm currently carrying mine in the front of a USD Courier Bag Deluxe, and it's a great fit but I do worry about the knobs. A friend has owned a Twitch longer and the master FX knobs are all way looser than they used to be, he blames transporting it.

On an unrelated note... I bought some of the DJ TechTools fader caps having read on here that they fit the Twitch... They don't. They're too loose, you can knock them off horizontal really easily and then the faders don't move smoothly.

They're a lovely product but I wouldn't buy them for a Twitch.
Nilsa Erben

I take mine to London and back on the train in a Swissgear backpack (along with a Thinkpad and MBP), I just put put in a neoprene laptop bag. Decksaver would be nice though and I made a comment on the request on the Facebook page.
Larita Smaga

Thanks!
Breanne Penge
Had a great evening exploring Twitch last evening . I don't get the audio fuss - mine sounds nice and loud, so no problem there.

Slicer is pretty fun, just getting used to all the modes available.

Had one issue though - hopefully someone can shed some light on this:

I use SSL on a regular basis, and read that itch would automatically detect my crates from SSL. However, the crates that showed up in itch look suuuuper outdated. I see old crates I deleted ages ago, and my latest SSL crate configuration has not been mirrored by itch. Suggestions for that?

Otherwise - game on
Berna Reaka
Originally Posted by Arbite
I'll get there eventually. Still working on my mapping but it's nearly done. I've got the effects section only controlling two effects groupings, with the rotary controlling dry/wet, and the endless controlling the effects parameters. I use the wasted four buttons on the left below the effects selections for pre set effects groupings, so I can change them up on the fly. The ones on the right I just use for dedicated single effects turn ons such as beatmasher, reverb etc...

The Twitch buttons don't really work well for midifighter style, because there is a very slight delay between pressing the button and traktor responding. It's a devil for cue point juggling.
I should have an instant gratification type effect preset + trigger on the 4 bottom effects pads sooner than later.

Also I was super annoyed with the hold-shift-for-gain situation so I've already mapped the filters to gains and have the values reset when you turn on the filter button.

Will upload a mapping once I get the instant gratifications done.
Kiyoko Wellisch
But that happens all the time. People don't seem to get mad when a new, better controller comes out.

They'll only be pissed off if the only thing that changes is the sound card and it's not marketed as a new product, which won't happen as there's more money in new products you can build hype for.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Why would there be outrage?
Lol.. u know how ppl get..

- they buy a product today and its got shortcomings that piss them off
- shiny new product comes out in a year that fixes shortcomings
- old product owner is pissed that the problem is fixed on new shiny product and feel entitled to something that resolves their product.

I guarantee u that especially with the twitch sound issue - if they introduce twitch 2 with the issue fixed, there will be a tidal wave of hate on twitchs community . People will demand that they be able to trade in their old units for the new one or a dozen other trade-in type demands.

Not saying its right or logical believeing.. but this just seems to be how things work.

U dont believe that twitch owners will be hating the second they catch wind of an improved-sound version of a twitch?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Why would there be outrage?
Cliff Lohman
I guess they screwed up with the power supply (or lack thereof).. they should have cut back on the fancy kevening rider lighting just a lil bit and routed the power to the sound. Im not an engineer or anything but that seems to be the cause of the sound issue according to them.. maybe its BS who knows. But they really missed an opportunity here.. This could have been a GREAT controller if they had just done a FEW thing differently:
1. filter knob in itch (wtf?)
2. soundcard - whatever they needed to do here to fix the sound output - route the power differently or put a better soundcard in and charge an extra $50-100 if needed.

Anyways.. if ur using this professionally in a club, ur going to be able to route thru a house mixer which should give u all the juice u need sound-wise.

But if theres no house mixer to go thru - theres no way u could use this professionally. Its a fun controller no doubt and I love it for having a compact and functional layout that I can take anywhere with little hassle. Two plugs (usb + RCA out) and its off and running.

I cant see any realistic ways of them fixing existing model for current owners. Maybe we'll see a new twitch 2 someday with lessons learned (4 deck version?) but i can only imagine the outrage thats going to come from current twitch owners if/when that happens. Hopefully they do something in the form of hooking current owners up with something but I wouldnt hold my breath.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah but that's my point, it's the same device redesigned with a whole bunch of different features. It's very clearly a different controller. It's a 2.0 not a 1.1

It's not going to be like a mixer where because the life span is much longer they will change something and the only way you'll ever find out is by looking up the reference number, like the Ecler Nuo 2.0 and the crossfader upgrade.
Arcelia Siebeneck
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
I don't believe I agree, controllers seem to have really short life spans and once the hype wears off they get replaced. Obviously I don't really have access to the facts and figures but that's the way it seems to be.

It seems more likely that we'd see a Twitch version 2 (with another cool name and new cool features) rather than a Twitch version 1.1.
plenty of midi / dj devices/controllers have had mk2 reissues... off the top of my head:

Technics 1210 mk2, mk3, mk5, etc
Vestax VCI-100 mk2
DJ Tech iMix mk2
M Audio Axiom 61 mk2

and of course, Novation have a history of reissuing the same hardware with small upgrades:

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...llers/sl_mkii/

and

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...zero_sl_mk_ii/

and

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/piano-k...oller-keyboard

I don't believe a soundcard update to the Twitch would be that difficult to implement for Novation... it just needs a PSU input on the main PCB to drive an amplifier. I guess it depends on how well the original Twitch sells...
Kiyoko Wellisch
Ba da ba dum tish

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy