Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by dookiex
Again, when you first start it, NOTHING is synced. You NEED to press the sync on the channel that you wish to be the Master tempo FIRST and then hit it again on the slave deck. After that, whatever track you bring in, you just have to hit the sync on that deck to get that track to sync whatever is still playing in the live mix (this is if you turned the sync off before loading the next track). Now, if you didn't disengage sync, whatever you load into the deck would be tempo matched but not grid matched. If you want to grid match it, you need to hit the Sync button again and it will snap the slave track to the grid of the master tempo track. This of course will cause a jump in audio because you're SNAPPING GRIDS rather than nudging the track (you can disable the snapping of grids altogether by going into the settings and switch to SIMPLE SYNC mode which will just match tempos).

**** Let me make this SUPER clear: If you have SMART SYNC turned on in the settings, hitting that SYNC button on the slave deck while the two decks are synced will ALWAYS cause a jump in audio because you're NOT NUDGING the track, you're SNAPPING GRIDS (aka, jumping the grid of the slave to match the grid of the master, keyword JUMPING). There's a BIG difference between tempo syncing and beatgrid syncing ****

You also have to remember, if you are putting a new track on the MASTER tempo channel, that is NO LONGER THE MASTER TEMPO because it's NOT the channel that is currently in the live mix. Whatever is playing last becomes the MASTER and whatever deck that you put a new track on becomes the SLAVE.

So, let's make this super clear:

Let's say you start it off with Deck A being MASTER and Deck B being the SLAVE. When you put a new track in Deck A, Deck A now becomes the SLAVE and Deck B becomes the MASTER. Reason being, Deck B still has something playing in the live mix thus the logic is that you don't want to change the tempo of what's currently playing and just want to match what you're bringing in to match whatever is currently playing NO MATTER WHAT CHANNEL the currently playing track is on.

So, with all that in mind, you might be wondering to yourself "Ok, then why the heck would I want to use Smart Sync then if the thing will just tempo sync when I play the incoming track and if I hit the sync button, it's going to jump in audio because it's snapping the beatgrids?" Well, if you have Itch set up to play tracks on load (either play from the beginning of the track or from the first cue point, you can select this in the settings), THAT is where the Smart Sync will be theoretically useful since it will match both the tempo and the grid of the incoming track and play it on load (basically, you should not be hitting that Sync button at all unless there's a drift, and if there's a drift, it's still better to use the good ole nudging rather than hitting the sync button).

Here, seriously, just go and read the manual: http://serato.com/manuals/itch/softw...ids#smart_sync
you dude cheers for the help, the manual that came with my twitch had 2 short paragraphs on sync and didnt have anything on the different types of sync.
Nilsa Erben
No need to guess, there's one one page of midi controller covers on their website and Novation and Twitch don't appear there. Add a comment to the new thread on the wall of their facebook page, I did.
Pat Chaim
im guessing still no decksaver?
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by Ps2Maniaco
but in traktor the Audio6 or Audio2 Solve the gain problem or not?
You can use an external soundcard with Traktor BUT, to be perfectly honest, just get a headphone amp if you're really that concerned. Not a cheap and noisy headphone amp, but a clean and relatively higher end one that is made to be able to drive something like a pair of HD-650 headphones. They are much more compact than a Audio 6 interface, you can find ones that runs on USB as well as standard batteries. Basically, you're just using it to amplify the signal from the Twitch unit itself, thus you still get to keep your booth out, mic and aux in, as well as headphone outs working on the unit.

To be perfectly honest though, I would find it pretty hard for the Twitch to ever not be loud enough playing at an actual venue with their own sound system. If you find it sounds too low, just raise the gain on the PA at the venue, you have PLENTY of headroom. Now, if you're a mobile DJ bringing your own PA that is already a little underpowered, then yeah, you might find the output to be a little low on the Twitch.
Malvina Plecker
Originally Posted by khemfusion
Ciao, io uso Twitch da circa un paio di mesi e mi trovo molto bene, okkio al mapping di Traktor che fa pena! Ad oggi non ho trovato un tsi decente...
Altro consiglio, se devi suonare in un locale senza mixer o senza scheda audio comprati un mixerino da palco per amplificare il segnale.
Nono siccome siamo tre ragazzi a suonare abbiamo un DB4 ma l'output senza un ulteriore scheda audio
Birgit Myrda
Hello everybody! I'm an italian guy. Its my intension to buy a Novation Twitch because i want to practice controllerism. I know about the output gain problem ( i want to use twitch in small pub gig or small club ) My question is: can i use thw twitch combined witch Audio 6 (or Audio2) with traktor or Serato ITch to solve output gain problem??

Sorry for my very bad english!
Ciao, io uso Twitch da circa un paio di mesi e mi trovo molto bene, okkio al mapping di Traktor che fa pena! Ad oggi non ho trovato un tsi decente...
Altro consiglio, se devi suonare in un locale senza mixer o senza scheda audio comprati un mixerino da palco per amplificare il segnale.
Chasidy Heckenbach
yes - as you'd be using the audio2 or 6 for the output, not audio output of the twitch at all.
Malvina Plecker
Originally Posted by thisisian
Yes you can with Traktor, but not with Itch.
Latia Sotak
Yes you can with Traktor, but not with Itch.
Malvina Plecker
Hello everybody! I'm an italian guy. Its my intension to buy a Novation Twitch because i want to practice controllerism. I know about the output gain problem ( i want to use twitch in small pub gig or small club ) My question is: can i use thw twitch combined witch Audio 6 (or Audio2) with traktor or Serato ITch to solve output gain problem??

Sorry for my very bad english!
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by fdawg
I agree and I believe you miss understand the problem I am having. I am having to press sync again on the master as this is the only way I can get the slave to sync. Pressing sync on the slave channel does NOTHING, it doesn't even match the tempo of the master. So each mix I have to press sync on the master which syncs.the master to the slave, causes an audio jump on the master output and sounds bad. At no point does pressing sync on the slave do anything. Maybe I am not explaining myself properly
Again, when you first start it, NOTHING is synced. You NEED to press the sync on the channel that you wish to be the Master tempo FIRST and then hit it again on the slave deck. After that, whatever track you bring in, you just have to hit the sync on that deck to get that track to sync whatever is still playing in the live mix (this is if you turned the sync off before loading the next track). Now, if you didn't disengage sync, whatever you load into the deck would be tempo matched but not grid matched. If you want to grid match it, you need to hit the Sync button again and it will snap the slave track to the grid of the master tempo track. This of course will cause a jump in audio because you're SNAPPING GRIDS rather than nudging the track (you can disable the snapping of grids altogether by going into the settings and switch to SIMPLE SYNC mode which will just match tempos).

**** Let me make this SUPER clear: If you have SMART SYNC turned on in the settings, hitting that SYNC button on the slave deck while the two decks are synced will ALWAYS cause a jump in audio because you're NOT NUDGING the track, you're SNAPPING GRIDS (aka, jumping the grid of the slave to match the grid of the master, keyword JUMPING). There's a BIG difference between tempo syncing and beatgrid syncing ****

You also have to remember, if you are putting a new track on the MASTER tempo channel, that is NO LONGER THE MASTER TEMPO because it's NOT the channel that is currently in the live mix. Whatever is playing last becomes the MASTER and whatever deck that you put a new track on becomes the SLAVE.

So, let's make this super clear:

Let's say you start it off with Deck A being MASTER and Deck B being the SLAVE. When you put a new track in Deck A, Deck A now becomes the SLAVE and Deck B becomes the MASTER. Reason being, Deck B still has something playing in the live mix thus the logic is that you don't want to change the tempo of what's currently playing and just want to match what you're bringing in to match whatever is currently playing NO MATTER WHAT CHANNEL the currently playing track is on.

So, with all that in mind, you might be wondering to yourself "Ok, then why the heck would I want to use Smart Sync then if the thing will just tempo sync when I play the incoming track and if I hit the sync button, it's going to jump in audio because it's snapping the beatgrids?" Well, if you have Itch set up to play tracks on load (either play from the beginning of the track or from the first cue point, you can select this in the settings), THAT is where the Smart Sync will be theoretically useful since it will match both the tempo and the grid of the incoming track and play it on load (basically, you should not be hitting that Sync button at all unless there's a drift, and if there's a drift, it's still better to use the good ole nudging rather than hitting the sync button).

Here, seriously, just go and read the manual: http://serato.com/manuals/itch/softw...ids#smart_sync
Lorine Krattli
I agree and I believe you miss understand the problem I am having. I am having to press sync again on the master as this is the only way I can get the slave to sync. Pressing sync on the slave channel does NOTHING, it doesn't even match the tempo of the master. So each mix I have to press sync on the master which syncs.the master to the slave, causes an audio jump on the master output and sounds bad. At no point does pressing sync on the slave do anything. Maybe I am not explaining myself properly
Clinton Voran
thanks for the reply. I appreciate what you are saying about Sync but to me to have to press the sync button (on the channel that is playing) to mix into the next record seems odd, both sync buttons are actaully already on but I have to press it again (on the channel playing) because the one I want to mix into the "master" will not sync up. It is the exact reverse of how traktor does it. also when you press sync on the "master" channel even though its alreayd on and lit it up it causes the "master" channel to jump the audio whilst it sync's with the track I want to mix in. It seems odd to me, its the same as if I was djing with vinyl I would have to adjust the pitch of the master track to mix in the second track, you would never do it, you always adjust the pitch of the record you want to mix in if that makes sense. I must be doing something wrong.

ableton options are huge, just need to get my head round it a bit first.
The way it works if I recall correctly is that when you set one channel as a master, then sync the other channel, when you load something else in the original master channel, that channel is no longer the master channel anymore, it's actually the slave channel. There's a logical reason for this. The logic behind it is that the last thing you're playing should always be the master to what you're bringing in. On vinyl it's different because the whole process is manual. For Itch, it works in a very logical way because it's automated and it's also software. Basically Itch automates the process of adjusting pitch if you have sync on using the rule of whatever is coming in becomes the slave and whatever is still in the live mix becomes the master.

Think about it, what you're bringing in no matter if it's on the slave or master channel, SHOULD become the slave channel (you don't want to change the tempo of what is currently playing obviously). So if you're bringing in a new track on the current master tempo channel, the original slave channel becomes the master tempo channel (because it's the channel that still has something currently playing). Why? Think about it from a standard DJ POV, you usually bring in a track and cue it up before you let it into the live mix.

As for you hitting that sync button on the already lit master channel. The behavior is that when both decks have the sync button lit, whenever you hit that sync button again, it basically nudges the track on whatever deck you pressed the button on to align to the nearest beatgrid mark. It's really not rocket science and not to sound like a dick but I believe you should seriously consider reading the manual :P

Another thing to remember is that there IS a difference between Simple and Smart Sync. One just matches the tempo whilst the other will line up the beatgrids. If you don't want that jump in audio when you hit that sync button, switch to Simple Sync.

Everything in Itch is designed to facilitate standard DJ mixing workflows thus if you believe about how the workflow of a DJ typically works, it makes sense. Such as the syncing behavior. What's incoming will always sync to what is currently still in the live mix (because you typically don't want to change the tempo of what is currently mixing, also along the same lines, this is why you typically don't want to mix in a track that has more than 5bpm's of tempo difference, gives you a smoother mix).

Btw, if anybody finds that my information is incorrect, please let me know, I've read that manual the first week I've had Twitch but since then, I don't really believe about how to operate the controller or the software anymore, the workflow has become more or less second nature at this point.
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by dookiex
Actually, that is the correct behavior of Itch. You need to set the channel to sync and then when you hit sync on the other channel, it syncs it to the channel you've set as the master tempo channel. You have to look at it from a software perspective. If you have two channels ready to go, the software is not going to magically know which channel is the master, thus when you hit that sync button on the first channel, you are basically telling the software "Hey, this is what I want to set as the master, please sync the other channel to this one." The software also doesn't automatically sync when you load the other channel for a good reason as well. The reason for this is that you don't always actually want the other channel to sync automatically thus it leaves it to the user to specifically tell it to sync the other channel to the master channel tempo.

As for Ableton, LOTS of great things that you can do with Ableton + Twitch. For one thing, that touch strip can be set up to act as 4 buttons or a knob/fader type control. You can imagine the flexibility such a choice in mapping can provide.
thanks for the reply. I appreciate what you are saying about Sync but to me to have to press the sync button (on the channel that is playing) to mix into the next record seems odd, both sync buttons are actaully already on but I have to press it again (on the channel playing) because the one I want to mix into the "master" will not sync up. It is the exact reverse of how traktor does it. also when you press sync on the "master" channel even though its alreayd on and lit it up it causes the "master" channel to jump the audio whilst it sync's with the track I want to mix in. It seems odd to me, its the same as if I was djing with vinyl I would have to adjust the pitch of the master track to mix in the second track, you would never do it, you always adjust the pitch of the record you want to mix in if that makes sense. I must be doing something wrong.

ableton options are huge, just need to get my head round it a bit first.
Clinton Voran
I am still getting sync issues and I believe maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough.

everything is beat gridded well and the sync button lights up but to get the 2 tracks in sync I have to press sync on the channel I already have playing out. so I have to sync the record currently playing to the one I want to mix in which is the reverse of how it should be!

anyway I am going to try it out with the traktor mapping and may just have to sack Itch off desite loving the performance modes.

has anyone used Twitch with Ableton yet? if so whats its like and are their any other good vid tutorials other than the novation one?

overall (despite the sync issue) I am loving the twitch!f
Actually, that is the correct behavior of Itch. You need to set the channel to sync and then when you hit sync on the other channel, it syncs it to the channel you've set as the master tempo channel. You have to look at it from a software perspective. If you have two channels ready to go, the software is not going to magically know which channel is the master, thus when you hit that sync button on the first channel, you are basically telling the software "Hey, this is what I want to set as the master, please sync the other channel to this one." The software also doesn't automatically sync when you load the other channel for a good reason as well. The reason for this is that you don't always actually want the other channel to sync automatically thus it leaves it to the user to specifically tell it to sync the other channel to the master channel tempo.

As for Ableton, LOTS of great things that you can do with Ableton + Twitch. For one thing, that touch strip can be set up to act as 4 buttons or a knob/fader type control. You can imagine the flexibility such a choice in mapping can provide.
Lorine Krattli
I am still getting sync issues and I believe maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough.

everything is beat gridded well and the sync button lights up but to get the 2 tracks in sync I have to press sync on the channel I already have playing out. so I have to sync the record currently playing to the one I want to mix in which is the reverse of how it should be!

anyway I am going to try it out with the traktor mapping and may just have to sack Itch off desite loving the performance modes.

has anyone used Twitch with Ableton yet? if so whats its like and are their any other good vid tutorials other than the novation one?

overall (despite the sync issue) I am loving the twitch!f
Temika Yelle
flag
Chasidy Heckenbach
damn that's cool...
Pat Chaim
^very nice indeed!!!
Johnetta Olewine
Moldover. Twitch. Nice stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CynCz3mP-4
Breanne Penge
Once in a while I find it does a shit job at auto gridding it. Occasionally I find it won't synch because of a poor analyzing job. When this happens, I remove the grid, tap in the tempo of the song again, and set the grid again from scratch.
This sorts it for me.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by Arbite
You can't. But I suppose you could have the booth output in one mixer channel, and the master in the other. Then you could have the booth permanently on cue... therefore outputting the two channels into an external hardware mixer.
Well, depends. I was talking about routing the Ableton audio from an external soundcard (or the headphone out of the computer) into the Aux in on the Twitch and then affecting the audio with the onboard FX on the Twitch. The Aux in has it's own gain so effectively, you have a third channel coming out of Twitch basically.
Lorine Krattli
yeah Sync is on on both decks and its the latest version, yes they are all beat gridded correctly . I will try the simple sync to see if that work.

for some reason it will not let me sync the track I want to mix in, I can only sync the track currently playing to the one I want to mix in whicha s you can imagine is pretty annoying. It must be something I am doing (from my traktor days) that doesnt work in Itch. Its like Itch is doing the reverse of what I want to do when using Sync.

I can beat match them manually using the tempo knob and lining up the grids manually but that was really the reason why I got the twitch, it was so I could get more into the "controllerist" side if things by hitting sync and getting funky on the performance pads.
Tatum Ansaldo
And sync needs to be turned on on both decks
Breanne Penge
Have you actually sret a grid on the song you are trying to synch?

Line the tune up with the first beat and hit the set button

Just a shot really....I know it won't synch if you don't have a grid set up.
Tatum Ansaldo
Have you got the latest version? I haven't had a chance to try it yet but iirc it has a 'simple sync' mode accessible from the settings window that works pretty similar to traktor sync.
Lorine Krattli
I have tried reinstalling itch and I still can't sync the track I want to mix in with the track already playing, I can only sync the track already playing to the one I want to mix in as explained above. Looks pike I will have to take it back.
Lorine Krattli
soemthing isn't quite right with either Itch 2.1 or my Twitch but I just cannot use the sync buttons as they do not work. Well they do work but not how they should do. Hopefully someone might be able to help me...

basically imagine I have a tack on channel A playing and I want to mix in a track from channel b. I prep it in my headphones press play and hit SYNC on channel b but it doesnt do anything (apart from the light on the sync button comes on), it doesn't adjust the tempo or line up beat grids. The only way I can get the 2 tracks to sync is by pressing the SYNC button on Channel A which then brings everything in SYNC. I then mix out Channel A and have a track playing on B, I now want to mix a new track in from channel so again I cue it in my head phones and press SYNC on channel A BUT pressing it does nothing (the light comes on so the buuton is working) so to sync the 2 tracks I have to press SYNC on channel B!

so bacially if I want to mix in a track using sync I have to press sync on the channel I already have playing rather than the track I am mixing it which I can work around but occassionally causes jumps in the track playing.

Am I doing something wrong or should I take my Twitch back?
Kiyoko Wellisch
I guess that'd work
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
I wasn't aware you could route separate decks out of separate soundcard outputs in twitch... You sure you can?
You can't. But I suppose you could have the booth output in one mixer channel, and the master in the other. Then you could have the booth permanently on cue... therefore outputting the two channels into an external hardware mixer.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I wasn't aware you could route separate decks out of separate soundcard outputs in twitch... You sure you can?
Clinton Voran
Hi guys, just wondered if there is any way of using external effects with Itch as the stock ones are pretty bad. What I mean is, for example could you route the audio into abelton (I have seen Bridge but looks a bit ott) and use ableton effects? I presume you can use VST's or plugins with Itch.
What you can do is do it via analogue. Route the audio into a mixer with onboard hardware FX and apply the FX via the mixer.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Nope, you can't use any plugins with itch, sorry dood.
Lorine Krattli
Hi guys, just wondered if there is any way of using external effects with Itch as the stock ones are pretty bad. What I mean is, for example could you route the audio into abelton (I have seen Bridge but looks a bit ott) and use ableton effects? I presume you can use VST's or plugins with Itch.
Birgit Myrda
Hello people, just ran into this little device wich i believe could help out with the output issue without being too intrusive......and its cheap......

http://www.htd.com/LGB-1#
Clinton Voran
Cheers guys. Can you sample on the fly from either deck a or deck b or can you just play prepared samples
You have to prep them. I haven't found a on the fly sample recording like you can do with Virtual DJ.
Lorine Krattli
Cheers guys. Can you sample on the fly from either deck a or deck b or can you just play prepared samples
Clinton Voran
Shift + Hot Cue to access the sample decks. 1-6 are your samples, 7 and 8 are your sample deck switches. You get 2 sample decks per channel for a total of 24 samples at your disposal. The play modes for the samples are one shots, hold to play, on/off, and all are sync-able. You can load anything you like into the sample slots (as long as it's in a Serato compatible format file). You can use the SP6 like a rudimentary Ableton clip launcher if you like. Just remember, you can't adjust the EQ and filters for individual clips as the clips are locked to the channel so if you EQ the channel or use FX on the channel, it's going to affect everything that is playing out of the channel.

Theoretically, if you set up your samples right, you can pretty much have a drum machine at your disposal all on just the Twitch controller (believe of it as a Maschine Mikro or an Akai MPC minus velocity, or Korg nanoPad,etc.).

If you use Ableton anyway, alternatively you can route the Ableton audio back in through the Aux on the Twitch and that acts like a 3rd channel (but no mixer controls apart from just the gain control on the Twitch for Aux input), you can use Itch FX on the Aux independently if you'd like (the audio gets fed in through the Aux, back into Itch, and spit back out through Itch). Just keep in mind that since it's Aux, there's no syncing so you'll have to manually beat match.
Breanne Penge
No - you hold shift and press hot cues....now you are in SP-6 mode and can fire at will with both hands.
Pads 1 - 6 fire samples, pads 7 and 8 are for switching banks.
Lorine Krattli
Can someone give me the low down on the sp6 sample? I haven't had chance to have a play with them yet. I am sure I have read you have to hold shift down then use hot cue pads? Does this mean you have to have shift held down constantly whilst using them?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy