Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Sublim&All
At the left it actually states "estimate shipping and tax"
So I'm a bit confused whether the $47.35 is the shipping + tax, or just shipping costs.
it's not going to include any customs tax that u might get hit with when it gets imported into your own country afaik.

edit: i was too slow
Lorine Krattli
Just ordered 2, realized I just wanted it and friend of mine wanted one as well

Looking at the ordering again:

At the left it actually states "estimate shipping and tax"
So I'm a bit confused whether the $47.35 is the shipping + tax, or just shipping costs.
Import tax/VAT will not be calculated until in reaches the destination country (well thats how it is in uk) so wouldnt show up on the billing page of an American website.
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by SherpaPsy
Right now: 390 U.S. dollars = 253.823625 British pounds - lloks like a steal, though adding shipping and the nasty VAT would likely soon evaporate the difference between the US price and what you can pick one up here for, which is:
Nilsa Erben
Right now: 390 U.S. dollars = 253.823625 British pounds - lloks like a steal, though adding shipping and the nasty VAT would likely soon evaporate the difference between the US price and what you can pick one up here for, which is:
Lorine Krattli
well I played around with my new twitch yesterday and so far I am loving it. It took me a few minutes to get to grips with Itch (I am used to using TP2 but wanted to try Itch out) but after that I was mashing buttons and jamming fader fx and having a blast.

only down points for me are the EQ knobs are very stiff especially the Hi EQ on Channel B and it is true that the output volume of the soundcard is very low, even compared to my Numark Omnicontrol it is very quiet. When I start to use it to gig with I will definitely by a small line mixer as suggested by Novation as it really does need the extra boost.

Overall though it is awesome!
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by vanaema78
You will be hit by your'e local import taxes.
Anything outside the EU will probably hit by local import taxes,
anything from the inside of the EU will be tax free.
He is buying from the us so will.get.hit for local import taxes when it arrives in destination country. Still might work out.cheaper though
Edwina Fagel
You will be hit by your'e local import taxes.
Anything outside the EU will probably hit by local import taxes,
anything from the inside of the EU will be tax free.
Viviana Tarno
Originally Posted by fdawg
wont you get hit with tax?

I paid
Lorine Krattli
I may order one toevening , $399 is about 315 Euros over here, which is a freakin' bargain:eek:
wont you get hit with tax?

I paid
Viviana Tarno
I may order one toevening , $399 is about 315 Euros over here, which is a freakin' bargain:eek:
Lorine Krattli
right add my name to the list, I just went and got a Twitch on my lunch break after considering it for a few weeks. I just quit smoking cigarettes so its my present to myself and motivation to keep of the cigs!

Hello fellow Twitch-ers
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
should work without much problem. I would upgrade to 4G of RAM though.

cheers mate, it actually has 4gb of ram (although on 3 usable).
Viviana Tarno
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
1. It's just a soundcard. You use it like any other soundcard
2. It's just a midi controller. You use it like any other midi controller :P
3. I assume you mean the pad like buttons- yes they send midi data (and there is several banks too) so you can map them in traktor. Again it's just a midi controller, nothing special.
4. It's a midi controller so you could map it to control functions in whatever DVS you pick. Both traktor scratch and serato support midi mapping and you could use it as a FX/sample controller if you want
Thanks! Sounds like an awesome option for me, especially with the DJTT deal I got sent to me few days ago... $399 is a bargain for such a controller!
Lisa Lochotzki
should work without much problem. I would upgrade to 4G of RAM though.
Lorine Krattli
Originally Posted by fdawg
I am looking at a Twitch but waiting to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, in the meantime will Twitch/Itch run on my oldm lappy (which currently runs TP2, Omnicontrol and Launchpad with Instant Gratification mapping) - http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/no...5730Zsp2.shtml
anyone? I am getting "twitchy" and might get one on my lunch break but wont bothered if it wont work till i get my MBP
Kiyoko Wellisch
1. It's just a soundcard. You use it like any other soundcard
2. It's just a midi controller. You use it like any other midi controller :P
3. I assume you mean the pad like buttons- yes they send midi data (and there is several banks too) so you can map them in traktor. Again it's just a midi controller, nothing special.
4. It's a midi controller so you could map it to control functions in whatever DVS you pick. Both traktor scratch and serato support midi mapping and you could use it as a FX/sample controller if you want
Viviana Tarno
Due to portability issues, maybe I'm going to replace my NS7 with a Twitch but I have some questions:

1: am I able to use the soundcard of Itch as external soundcard for my pc/mac? I do this all the time with my NS7, would suck if I have to miss that
2: when I may decide to use Traktor, is it possible to hook up a X1/K2 or anything? If so, how?
3: when using a Traktor mapping, is there any use in the touchpads? Can they be mapped in any way?
4: I may someday get myself a DVS setup, would it be possible to link the Twitch with this setup and map it as a drumpad/FX/whatever controller? I presume, if so, this is only possible when using Traktor Scratch?

Thanks a lot!
Lorine Krattli
I am looking at a Twitch but waiting to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, in the meantime will Twitch/Itch run on my oldm lappy (which currently runs TP2, Omnicontrol and Launchpad with Instant Gratification mapping) - http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/no...5730Zsp2.shtml
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by DigitalTiger
That almost sounds like a Crossfader ramp mapping thing. Some Turntablists prefer a harsh drop-off so that they can get a manual "slam" without having to move the crossfader all the way across to the other side. Have you been able to try this out on the newly released Itch 2.1?
The person with the xfader problem, that's definitely something hardware related as opposed to software. There's actually nothing in the fader curve settings that would make the cutoff that extreme and completely lop sided.
Sook Kitaoka
Originally Posted by Idlemind
I've had my Twitch since October. I basically bought it to play around and for gigs in tight spaces. Since October, I've done about 10 gigs with it, not to mention all the sessions on the couch in front of the TV.

I noticed almost right away the output limiter would kick in almost all the time. I used it with powered speakers, so it might be less of an issue but the overall solution is to connect it to another mixer or pre-amp (kinda pointless)

I was glad to see the crossfader was replaceable, I wanted almost immediately to put an innofader or something in there, but there is simply no room. The fader feels cheap and loose. I generally do the "shake test" and put the fader in the center and hold the mixer with both hands and shake to see if it moves.

I also immediately loved the pads and the touchstrip, but hated most of the knobs. The EQ and trim knobs were tight to turn and would be a pain if you like to tweak in the mix. The actual knob feels strange to touch as well. (maybe its me)

After a software (and firmware) update (to 2.0) My crossfader is know off center. the best way for me to explain is with a corny text diagram

Normal X Fader (A) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 (B)

My X Fader (A) 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 1 1 (B)

I contacted Novation and after downloading MIDI Monitor and providing some logs, they told me I need a new fader. It seems like downgrading the firmware should be the first fix, but I'm not sure how to even do that.

So I'll be Twitchless for like 2 weeks til the shop gets a replacement fader,

Does anyone know where I can get one? I'd change it myself if I had one.
That almost sounds like a Crossfader ramp mapping thing. Some Turntablists prefer a harsh drop-off so that they can get a manual "slam" without having to move the crossfader all the way across to the other side. Have you been able to try this out on the newly released Itch 2.1?
Danial Sawn
Hold the shift and press hot cues. Pads one through six control the samples, while 7 and 8 activate the other sample decks, for a total of four. This means that pad 7 and 8 on the left pads activate sample decks one and two, while the other pads activate decks 3 and 4. This totals 24 possible samples.
Breanne Penge
What's the deal with using the SP-6 in ITCH 2.1 now with Twitch.....hold the Shift button while it's in Hot Cues mode or something...?
Can anyone shed some light?
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by kevz718
If u havent seen it already.. Chck out skratchworx.com as they just did a video of v7 with twitch i believe
Saw that, was just wondering if anyone on DJTT had tried it.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Arbite
Anyone here tried using it in tandem with other Itch controllers?

Really considering trying it out with a v7.
If u havent seen it already.. Chck out skratchworx.com as they just did a video of v7 with twitch i believe
Danial Sawn
Anyone here tried using it in tandem with other Itch controllers?

Really considering trying it out with a v7.
Birgit Myrda
I also immediately loved the pads and the touchstrip, but hated most of the knobs. The EQ and trim knobs were tight to turn and would be a pain if you like to tweak in the mix. The actual knob feels strange to touch as well. (maybe its me)

I had the same issue with the knobs myself so i went with these instead

Maile Dekerlegand
http://community .novationmusic.com/viewt...hp?f=52&t=1361
Magan Frericks
I've had my Twitch since October. I basically bought it to play around and for gigs in tight spaces. Since October, I've done about 10 gigs with it, not to mention all the sessions on the couch in front of the TV.

I noticed almost right away the output limiter would kick in almost all the time. I used it with powered speakers, so it might be less of an issue but the overall solution is to connect it to another mixer or pre-amp (kinda pointless)

I was glad to see the crossfader was replaceable, I wanted almost immediately to put an innofader or something in there, but there is simply no room. The fader feels cheap and loose. I generally do the "shake test" and put the fader in the center and hold the mixer with both hands and shake to see if it moves.

After a software (and firmware) update (to 2.0) My crossfader is know off center. the best way for me to explain is with a corny text diagram

Normal X Fader (A) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 (B)

My X Fader (A) 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 1 1 (B)

I contacted Novation and after downloading MIDI Monitor and providing some logs, they told me I need a new fader. It seems like downgrading the firmware should be the first fix, but I'm not sure how to even do that.

So I'll be Twitchless for like 2 weeks til the shop gets a replacement fader,

Does anyone know where I can get one? I'd change it myself if I had one.
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by oliosky
anyone had any major build issues with their twitch now that they have been on the market a while?

still looking to pick one up i believe
Very happy with mine. Output volume is fine, not that big an issue since it seems to get plugged into a mixer or amp anyway.
knobs a bit stiff, hopefully they loosen up. Faders are great, buttons are fantastic, and I am very pleased with Itch 2.1
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by oliosky
anyone had any major build issues with their twitch now that they have been on the market a while?

I'm very happy with mine, but you need to know what you are buying....

Major pros:

A. Very portable, i use a UDG Traktor bag and it fits perfectly
B. Very intuitive, i get to concentrate a lot more on the music
C. Very responsive, both buttons and touchstrips
D. Very solid, both software and hardware
E. Great fun!!! Main fx, fader fx, hot cues, slicer ecc...

Major flaws:

A. Low output, must be plugged into a mixer
B. Low quality volume faders, they feel terrible
C. Smooth EQ knobs???? (i changed mine after a week)

Thats my 2 cents after owning for about a month....
Johnetta Olewine

Betsy Orsillo
looking for a flight case for this... odyssey hasn't officially made one for the twitch but i can probably get a case that fits some other controller. any one know if its close a vci-100 or s2, s4?..
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by mistaright
hey i have been having issues with the headphone jack, i went to use my twitch today and nothing was coming out. i tried all sorts of knob and switch configurations but i got nothing. im a noob so this could be an insanely simple issue, so ill take any advice you're offering, please help
Itch or Traktor?
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by Mojaxx
Evanb:

Download Itch 2.1 public beta (it's the best version yet).

Plug in.

Play.

It couldn't be simpler. It's a beautiful thing!
FTW. Itch is wonderful!
Hiram Messmer
hey i have been having issues with the headphone jack, i went to use my twitch today and nothing was coming out. i tried all sorts of knob and switch configurations but i got nothing. im a noob so this could be an insanely simple issue, so ill take any advice you're offering, please help
Birgit Myrda
Originally Posted by BLAKNITE
I need a decksaver!
I know!!!!!! They made the decksaver for the ergo before the twitch!!!! WTF!

But I gotta say i had one of my best gigs last evening with Twitch and Itch, played a 3 hour set without any problems, 2.1 is super solid! I was actually a bit nervous to use it since its still beta, but it turned out to be a LOT more stable than 2.0.....
remy deroche
i've been using my twitch for about 3 weeks, just getting the swing of it. using it with traktor and a triggerfinger for my sample decks. i've had to reprogram some of the controls and functions to get it to how i like, but its totally do-able. as far as output, haven't had any problems with clubs or shows so far. used it tonite and i still have an afterhours to play in 2 hours, so we'll see how that goes. i'm pretty tired tho... happy new year twitch users and controllerists alike!!
Pat Chaim
I need a decksaver!
Larita Smaga
Sorry for double post.
Larita Smaga
Evanb:

Download Itch 2.1 public beta (it's the best version yet).

Plug in.

Play.

It couldn't be simpler. It's a beautiful thing!

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy