Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Lenard Yorita
actually, the more i look into it the more Itch seems to suit me style of playing. I moved from Serato to Traktor so why not to Itch now.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
No probs, you are more than welcome to it when it's done.

I do love the Twitch in Itch (amazing program and map) but I love timecode more.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Box mappings are always weak

Still yeah certainly try out itch if you have a twitch- It's free so there's no reason not to
Lenard Yorita
that sounds great - thanks. i was planning to use it without an external mixer but your mapping certainly sounds worth testing in that set up.

in the meantime i might try out Itch, which is looking like the easier option than Traktor. the more i read the more the out of the box mapping seems to be pretty weak.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Hi,
no it doesn't but i've started a mapping with fader fx on the channel faders. It uses fx bank 4 in single mode with instant press parameter settings set to fx pads and x fader set to parameter 3 amount for some expression . I use my Twitch with an external mixer though so if you're still wanting to use the channel faders normally then the map would be no good. Changed browser functionality too as it was rubbish in the original mapping. Moved the filter down to the fx select encoders and mapped the army of me sweep to the original filter pots. Still lots to do and only finding an hour here or there to devote to it. Will gladly share it with you when it's done and i'm happy it's bug free if it's any good to you.
Lenard Yorita
Hi, i've been searching for an answer on this but haven't found it.

I really like the way the faders pull down for the wet/dry on FX in the Itch version of Twitch. Does the Traktor version work the same with the supplied TSI? I've not had success with mapping so i'd rather not delve into that unless i had to. Not sure if I fancy moving from T2 to Itch though - i guess i could give it a try.

thanks,
James
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by frags10
Just ordered one of these bad boys to use with TP2. I am currently coming from an S4-- but, I am on my second one, and both of them have had messed up volume faders after less than a month. No joke! NI replaced the first one under warranty, and then when I got the second one the same thing started happening on a different channel after 2 weeks of use.

So I started looking for something different, preferably more compact than the S4 because it was sometimes a pain setting it up in a cramped booth. I was not completely sold on the Twitch, but at such a low price, I figured it was worth the risk. I noticed that I did not usually use the loop decks on my S4 (usually just used those buttons as extra hot cues), and I am not into scratching, so the Twitch seems to meet my needs fairly well. Also I will probably use my Korg nanoKontrol in conjunction to have better control over decks 3 and 4, and the the effects.

I am slightly concerned about the volume issue that people have been mentioning, though. I regularly play at clubs where DJ's crank the volume into the reds all evening long. I dont really need the booth out, so i was believeing I could finagle some sort of cable setup to add the booth out and master out together to get more volume. Has anyone tried this with good results? Will the 2 outputs be in exactly the same phase? Worse case scenario, I'll just use a separate sound card that is louder.

Excited to try this thing out!
If you are worried about the lower output which to be honest isn't such a major problem, (I've used it in clubs already), and you will be using TP2, I'd suggest using an A2 or A4 etc..

Using an external sound card will solve any output issues you might have with the Twitch. But one thing to remember is that the external sound card will only work with TP2 not in Itch.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by frags10
I am slightly concerned about the volume issue that people have been mentioning, though. I regularly play at clubs where DJ's crank the volume into the reds all evening long. I dont really need the booth out, so i was believeing I could finagle some sort of cable setup to add the booth out and master out together to get more volume. Has anyone tried this with good results? Will the 2 outputs be in exactly the same phase? Worse case scenario, I'll just use a separate sound card that is louder.
novation says u get an extra 6dB if u combine the outputs.
Bebe Hanawalt
Just ordered one of these bad boys to use with TP2. I am currently coming from an S4-- but, I am on my second one, and both of them have had messed up volume faders after less than a month. No joke! NI replaced the first one under warranty, and then when I got the second one the same thing started happening on a different channel after 2 weeks of use.

So I started looking for something different, preferably more compact than the S4 because it was sometimes a pain setting it up in a cramped booth. I was not completely sold on the Twitch, but at such a low price, I figured it was worth the risk. I noticed that I did not usually use the loop decks on my S4 (usually just used those buttons as extra hot cues), and I am not into scratching, so the Twitch seems to meet my needs fairly well. Also I will probably use my Korg nanoKontrol in conjunction to have better control over decks 3 and 4, and the the effects.

Excited to try this thing out!
Willette Nestingen
Originally Posted by turboant
I
Anna Jenny
because when you play cues in any dj software you don't need to modulate the volume with the pressure... you're doing that with the volume fader and it seems quite redundant to have pad pressure override the volume fader
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Why would you put pads on a controller and not make the velocity sensitive...?
Probably cos velocity sensitive pads cost a bomb and are less tactile than launchpad style ones.
Patrica Giancaterino
I'm just happy they don't click.. super inconvenient
Kiyoko Wellisch
Why would you put pads on a controller and not make the velocity sensitive...?
Tatum Ansaldo
nope.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Serias? Do they click? D:
Tatum Ansaldo
The twitch's pads aren't velocity sensitive, and they are quite similar to the launchpad ones.
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by Croma
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being really horrible and 1 being not a problem at all) how would you rate the sound output? I've read about it not being very loud but I was wondering how big of a deal it is? Thanks!
I'd rate it at about 3.

Yes the sound output isn't as loud as say the S4 or S2, but nothing that couldn't be rectified. Actually the last time I played with my Twitch, I was playing with another DJ who was using his X1 and Audio 8 on a DJM 800. His output on his X1 and A8 was louder than the Twitch's, but I just turned up the gains on the mixers channel, and it was fine, no clipping, no distortion or anything.

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker at all if thats what you worried about.

Although to be honest I have been looking at the S2 recently, not cos I don't like the Twitch, on the contrary, but cos I'm a Traktor fanboy, and even though I do like the Itch software, I prefer Traktor, and having the S2 would just be more convenient for me. Yes I know that the Twitch has a Traktor mapping, but I must say I didn't like it very much. I had the S4 previously and loved it except for its size, hence me selling it, and getting the Twitch. Now with the S2 released it looks like a good option for me.

Ok enough rambling!

Originally Posted by jprime
Date I pre ordered it: Sept. 19th.

Date my local Long & McQuade music store says it will arrive now: Nov. 15th

want. /mini rant over.
Damn man, thats bad, I've had mine for almost 2 months already.

Originally Posted by Zhao
Are the twitch's buttons the same as the launchpad's?
I'd love to tell you but I've never played with or seen the Launchpad before, but I can tell you that the pads are great and work very well.
Patrica Giancaterino
Thank god lol the launchpads buttons are far from ideal for rapid cue point juggling and button mashing. Are you saying they're velocity sensitive as well?
Kiyoko Wellisch
I believe the twitch has drum pads rather than launchpad style buttons (that look like pad). This means they won't click but they are sensitive to how hard/fast you hit them. (edit- turns out I'm wrong, maybe. to some extent. read on)

On the other hand I'm drunk and last time I used a twitch I was more interested in the faders so I can't be 100% sure.
Patrica Giancaterino
Are the twitch's buttons the same as the launchpad's?
Tatum Ansaldo
For those that didn't see, twitch now has official support for ableton live:

http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage....skratchworx%29
Susy Gauger
Any chance of mapping midi fighter esque effects controls on the 16 pads on the bottom ( possibly in slicer mode, i dont know about anyone else but I dont utilize that feature much ).
Breanne Penge
Date I pre ordered it: Sept. 19th.

Date my local Long & McQuade music store says it will arrive now: Nov. 15th

want. /mini rant over.
Thaddeus Scamp
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being really horrible and 1 being not a problem at all) how would you rate the sound output? I've read about it not being very loud but I was wondering how big of a deal it is? Thanks!
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by SherpaPsy
I've been using mine for a few weeks with Traktor and its working fine, I use it in my hotel room, without speakers, so its all through the headphone cue.
I seem to be having nothing but issues with mine. After updating the USB drivers it failed to work with Itch, so had to wipe all the drivers and itch from my PC. To top that off 2.0 doesn't want to install properly, it hangs on the install, getting stuck on the updating drivers part. It was stuck there for 2 hours before I just stopped it. The one time when it did install, it refused to recognize the Twitch.
Nilsa Erben
Originally Posted by Arbite
I ended up updating the USB drivers and fiddling with the ports. Got it up and running for a while before it stopped outputting sound through the Twitch.

Need to work on the mapping though, no headphone cuing, and the effects don't work very well. A couple of weeks and will hopefully have a decent traktor mapping for it. Until then Itch 1.8 it is. (2.0 doesn't seem to like the twitch). 1.8 certainly does help with beatmatching on the fly, it's gridding/auto bpm is terrible.
I've been using mine for a few weeks with Traktor and its working fine, I use it in my hotel room, without speakers, so its all through the headphone cue.
Danial Sawn
Originally Posted by Jip
The instructions provided for setting up traktor are a bit wrong. Got mine up and running eventually, bit annoying. My issue was the ports stated in instructions didn't match up to what I could see in traktor
I ended up updating the USB drivers and fiddling with the ports. Got it up and running for a while before it stopped outputting sound through the Twitch.

Need to work on the mapping though, no headphone cuing, and the effects don't work very well. A couple of weeks and will hopefully have a decent traktor mapping for it. Until then Itch 1.8 it is. (2.0 doesn't seem to like the twitch). 1.8 certainly does help with beatmatching on the fly, it's gridding/auto bpm is terrible.
Aliza Sorbello
Originally Posted by Arbite
Recently picked up mine. Working fantastic with serato, but having trouble with Traktor. Imported the TSI file, changed audio out etc...

Still not working though, after several restarts and much fiddling.
The instructions provided for setting up traktor are a bit wrong. Got mine up and running eventually, bit annoying. My issue was the ports stated in instructions didn't match up to what I could see in traktor
Danial Sawn
Recently picked up mine. Working fantastic with serato, but having trouble with Traktor. Imported the TSI file, changed audio out etc...

Still not working though, after several restarts and much fiddling.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Side note- why not just hide decks C and D and then map their EQs + faders to some badass effects combos and things? :P
Bertha Fathy
Hopefully not a necrobump...But I'm going to see if GC will be able to let me test this and the S2 out. I was an S4 owner for a while, and loved it...But I wasn't really getting the full 4 deck and FX use that Traktor provides. The S2 and Twitch seem to be my best options for higher quality 2 deck mixing. There are some cheaper options out there, but I'm believeing I'll settle on one of these two units.

Has Itch 2.0 fixed the BPM issues some people complain about? And can any of you Twitch users give me some thoughts from a "use and abuse" stand point? It's always best to get the opinions of people who really push their gear to the limit!
Jenna Eggler
Wish there were some more maps around for this, or I had the knowledge to map it myself. So much potential for Traktor! I've had mine a week now and as much as I've tried to love Serato, I still feel much more comfortable using Traktor.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
In a Raved up Rowing Club. Broke the gear down at the end of the evening and came back to find salt water all over the Twitch. All sorted now though :-)
Rosina Gholami
Originally Posted by D-Kem
Hi all,
as some of you will know from the other thread my Twitch died the very first gig it was out due to rowers and water!!
Good news however, Novation are replacing it so i will be up and running again shortly and can continue work on my Traktor map. I will be using mine with timecode, 2 midifighters and possibly the VCI100se too. Not decided if it's controller overkill yet but some testing to be done.
Were you DJin on a boat or something?
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Hi all,
as some of you will know from the other thread my Twitch died the very first gig it was out due to rowers and water!!
Good news however, Novation are replacing it so i will be up and running again shortly and can continue work on my Traktor map. I will be using mine with timecode, 2 midifighters and possibly the VCI100se too. Not decided if it's controller overkill yet but some testing to be done.
Deanna Holbrooks
bump, we need more info on mapping guys
N I
I finally had time to sit down and properly configure the sample decks in TP2.

Now I have one hit samples on the right side, and loops on the left side. I've mapped the one hits to the top right row of the "mpc style" buttons, and the loops to the bottom right.

I'm trying to expand my effect potentials now so now I want to use the left buttons to create some instant orgasm effects, similar to the Midi Fighter.

What are you guys doing?
Nicolas Dales
I bought mine today!
I've used it with Itch and it's pretty cool so far
Breanne Penge
Mine should be in next week. Gawd, the waiting is painful.... tell me more awesomesauce stuff about it plz

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy