Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Kellie Myrum
I follow ya. It all make sense but you're still using CC there note that I want to map this for my DIY controller that has no knobs. One press of the button and boom - value copy to other virtual knob.

LOLZ
Ja Baily
You can if you want, to create a midi note out of a fader in any point here is how.

Map your fader
Make an output of the same comand manually to a free CC set controller range minimum for your button 0 state and your controller range max to be your button state 1 / uncheck blend so your minimum range will be 0 and anything between up to your max might be state 1

Maybe I should make a video with FX.
Ja Baily
Now i undestand what you meant, and found out that this is going to like you

All modifiers that i was using were trigered by two buttons. The trick doesn't need modifiers to work. What is moving the knobs is the Deck Post-Fader Level (L+R) maped to a CC and that output (is the same that a led need to work) is interpreted by traktor in the other device as an income CC that control EQ Hi, Mid and Low of both decks in relative inverted mode. So when level of deck A is sending out, that out is read like an incoming signal from a knob in deck B EQ's.

I only use modifiers to:1- enable or disable the whole trick and 2- switch from presets of predefined values; with that i meant that if you active sidechain for deck A lets say activating M1=1 and then select a estate of M2 for enabling a preset for the trick; that presets consists in activate only one behaviour of the EQs simulating diferent sidechain parameters.
Kellie Myrum
Similar yes but not exactly what I have in mind. You're still using fader CC massage to trigger modifier values and my point was on using button (note) to send output value between decks. In theory, modifier shouldn't be necessary for triggering this MIDI massage. I'll look deeper into this tomorrow

Also this method would be extremely effective for using effect parameters.
Ja Baily
Originally Posted by Stewe
to copy for example deck volume value from deck to another but using button?
I believe this might be similar.

Here i got 6 EQ knobs in my second midi device that act in knob-relative-inverted mode when M1 state is 1 (3 EQ's of Deck A) and when state is 2 (3 EQ's of Deck B). When M1 state is 0 (default) all 6 Eq's act like suposed.

The master control in my device 1 is "Deck Post-Fader Level (L+R)" out of teh opposite deck that you'r activating the sidechain for (now when M1=0 nothing happends, M1=1 level meter B control sidechain A, M1=2 level meter A controls sidechain B) with full controller range and a midi range of 40-127 (so when fader of oposite sidechained deck is low it dont activate the sidechain).

Sidechaining thru different presets could be done adding a 2
Kellie Myrum
Pretty cool stuff Dilan

Can you use this method to copy for example deck volume value from deck to another but using button? Talking about routing MIDI back to Traktor using virtual cable in single generic device. It's been a while now since I massed with this concept but you have triggered some ideas for me.

Also posting a vid or two showing your mapping in act would be nice.
Ja Baily
I call it: THE MASTER CONTROL

Here is a trick i've been using in my last mappings and never seen before in the community .

Because have you ever wanted to map a certain comand to only a portion of the signal a control can generate?
I meant, for example, creating master knobs that can triger up to 127 unique midi notes and can control slave knobs with whatever range of the fisical fader you want (for example mapping: FX Param1 to CCx/0-40 | FX Param2 to CCx/41-80 | FX Param3 to 81-127 and so on if you wnat to embed more controls).

It might sound a little bit abstract but i want you to be open minded using this trick so i'm not even going to make more "control specific" examples.

The trick basically consist in telling traktor to activate certain functions with midi notes trigered by a state o position range of another parameter in traktor.

FIRST YOU WILL NEED:

- A controller to test it (this trick is not working for keyboard mappings since you can't create outputs in them)
- A MIDI BUS utility (this is a virtual device to route midi, it has 1IN/1OUT ports and every message that comes thru the in port goes thru out)
- 2 new generic devices in traktor controller manager.
- Time (Im sure aplying this may take you long mapping sesions)

Once you got your midi bus runing (I use the default one in mac's "midi studio" [not shure about the name of the utility]) you have to go to 1 of your new devices and set the IN-Port to your midi controller and your OUT-Port to the midi bus IN.

In the other device set the IN-Port to your midi bus OUT and your OUT-Port to your midi controller or whatever monitoring method you are using (in my case, my mpd32 dont have sofware responsive leds so I route the OUT-Port of the second devide to Touch OSC, so i can see how things are going from my phone)

Now that you have your devices routed lets fall in deep mapping:
-First select a fisic control from your controller, that will be the parameter that trigers all the madness. And i say parameter because the mapping reacts to a position of a knob or button in traktor, not in your controller. So keep in mind that what you will be doing is trigered by a "master" control that needs to be maped first.

-Then select that parameter and create an out comand from it, now you have a "led" type of signal. Manually map the comand to a CC that you want embeded in the master parameter, select the range that you are mapping the control to and the range of values that the CC will produce with range sliders. With this out comand you are setting a CC to act like a normal smart knob in your other device that is already trigered by other comand (not your controller) using an out of your firs device.

You're done with embeding 1CC into an existing maped parameter, so now you have a knob or fader that control a comand at it's full range and another control that only get active in a selected range of the master control with custom range behaviour also.
To include another function in the same master control you need to repeat last point with a diffent CC and with different ranges for every single control you want to asing later (now you are just defining CC's or Notes activated by the master control not the final functions you'll map to them)

- Lets move to our second device. I hope you made a lot of sub CC's out of the master control you chosed in traktor so to avoid conflicts i recomend mapping manually. Now create a control to be asigned to a region of the master control. Do that by simply mapping the desired control to the defined CC for that region.

- Map the others CC's you defined to fill with functions the main control.

You're done.

This is the introduction to make it work; i'll be posting more stuff with this trick including how to implement conditional modifiers and midi sidechaining.
I've been using this thing for 2 or 3 months now and i feel pretty confident about the response and posibilities that offers.

Hope you liked it.
Dannette Town
will share when i clean it up.
thanks again
Kellie Myrum
Of course, if you are relatively new to bit advanced mapping drawing some sketch to keep your work organized can't hurt anyways. Especially when warping head around few mappings (updates/edits), it's good way to learn and remember where you're at.

Make sure to share your result in community

Cheers,
Dannette Town
got everything working ok now thanks to you stewe really appreciate your help. i will probably create a new map as this was my first time mapping an was a bit trial an error and things are a bit messy, would you recomend drawin up sum sort of plan first?
Kellie Myrum
You said something about effect parameters working with only one direction so it makes me believe your jog is sending two notes (one direction each) instead of standard CC. All cool.

Jog touch:
-Modifier (hold)
-FXon (hold)
-FX select (direct)

Jog turn:
-FX parameter dry/wet, Knob 1,2,3 (condition of hold modifier)
Dannette Town
i use a hercules 4mx. i dunno wat you mean? the jog turn is listed as cc 036, cc 037, cc038, cc039 decks a,b,c,d
Kellie Myrum
What controller do you use? Is it sending one CC?
Dannette Town
yeh i tried it a few different ways cant get it to behave properly every time you hav to flick the jog to get the parameters to respond. id say its sumthing simple that im doin or not doin. could you maybe show an example of how you would do it? would be much appreciated as iv givin up on trying things, thanks man
Kellie Myrum
Did you map your effect parameters to jog turn?
Dannette Town
thanks man,
just tried that, dunno if i did it correct. i mapped a hold modifier to the jog wheel and all the effects buttons and knobs, this is what happens. when i press down, the effects come but when i turn the wheel nothing?? if i flick it...like a backspin i get the parameters to change but thats no good. i messed around with the encoder values but no joy. any idea what im doing wrong?
Kellie Myrum
Map a 'hold' modifier to jog touch and dedicate it's value for FX parameters modifier conditions. This way effects will modulate only while jog is on hold.
Dannette Town
hey guys an girls. another quick question
i am trying to map my jog wheels to act as superknobs or "superjogs" for chained effects.
i want it so when i hold down the jog it turns on the 3 effects, when released they turn off and when turning the jog while holding down it adjusts 3 parameters and wet/dry.
my problem is when i map this i can only adjust parameters when the jog is not being pressed? any1 know of a solution for this? i tried a few things but no joy.
thanks in advance
Dannette Town
oh ok suppose il just hav to live with it for now. thanks man
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by kellier
dont no if its about mapping but everytime i load traktor the display has sum effect buttons active??
Same here. It's Traktor's call it 'bug' - seen other people noticing this behavior too. This didn't happen with older versions than 2.5 and I believe it got something to do with NI changing the way FX units are designed in newer versions.
Dannette Town
thanks stewe
that was exactly wat i was looking for,just mapped deck a il do the rest tomorow as i said im only new to mapping but if you know wat your doin the possibilities seem extensive, iv a lot to learn
i hav 1 more question for now if you dont mind? dont no if its about mapping but everytime i load traktor the display has sum effect buttons active?? do you know how i deactivate them and save it so when i load traktor the next time they wont be active???
thanks for being so helpfull
Kellie Myrum
No worries, that should work. Let me know ether way.
Dannette Town
thanks man il have a look now
Kellie Myrum
Make more sense now. You are looking for four bank modifier mapping: http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=55271

After you map each of four values to unit on buttons make sure to follow modifier values for each unit and add it in modifier condition slots for corresponding FX unit.
Dannette Town
il try to explain because maybe you know an easier way of mapping what i want.
so i have 8 buttons i would like to map,4 on deck a and 4 on deck b,i want each 4 buttons to act as the 4 buttons for effects on each channel in traktors mixer. i also want when i press any of those buttons to be a toggle modifier to allow me to controll the effects parameters in the effect bank corresponding to the button pressed with my eq knobs. i hope this makes sense to you.
Charline Dye
Stewe I have a TSI of just the key parameters by themselves (no other mapping commands) mapped to my Oxygen 49, your friend would still have to hit learn and change all the CC's to his Axiom though. I believe I have a small video on how to do this with the TSI, as I did this for someone on YouTube who couldn't figure it out. Hit me up if you want them.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by VanGogo
Here's a how to video I did on this a while back.
Nice! My buddy sent me your video and asked me to help him map it to his Axiom 25 and since I don't have one I made this video wit full range of key adjustment for a thread in general discussion where I've looked for help on achieving this - no luck thought.

Just shared it here as well if somebody find it useful. Now with your 'how to' it's all in loop
Kellie Myrum
thanks for the quick reply
what do you mean? can it not be done with 1 controller im new to mapping and im totally stuck
Yes. You can add multiple devices and map it all to just one controller. It's the only way to add another eight modifiers to tsi.

if i map the 4 toggle modifiers to the same buttons as mixer effect buttons 1-4 on deck a when i do the same on deck b when i press the buttons it turns mixer effects on when modifier state= 0 ? is there a way to configure the modifier to work properly
Not sure what you're trying here...
Charline Dye

Here are all the parameters I've used in vid if you are interested to map it for your controllers:

Here's a how to video I did on this a while back.
Dannette Town
thanks for the quick reply
what do you mean? can it not be done with 1 controller im new to mapping and im totally stuck, if i map the 4 toggle modifiers to the same buttons as mixer effect buttons 1-4 on deck a when i do the same on deck b when i press the buttons it turns mixer effects on when modifier state= 0 ? is there a way to configure the modifier to work properly
Kellie Myrum
hey djtt
i have a question. im tryin to map effects on a hecules 4mx. i want to map 4 buttons to turn mixer efects on 1-4 and also act as modifiers so i can use my eqs to control parameters of each effect bank 1-4.i will use 4 toggle modifiers but how can i map the same on deck b without it being conflicting or using more modifiers
Add new generic device.
Dannette Town
hey djtt
i have a question. im tryin to map effects on a hecules 4mx. i want to map 4 buttons to turn mixer efects on 1-4 and also act as modifiers so i can use my eqs to control parameters of each effect bank 1-4.i will use 4 toggle modifiers but how can i map the same on deck b without it being conflicting or using more modifiers
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
I like, Shall add to the UltimateFx thread, I will make a new section known as... Miscellaneous Fun Stuff! Im going to this out to a keyboard...
Assign all commands for target device so you can add focus selector to use this on all decks.
Valeri Millstein

Here are all the parameters I've used in vid if you are interested to map it for your controllers:

I like, Shall add to the UltimateFx thread, I will make a new section known as... Miscellaneous Fun Stuff! Im going to this out to a keyboard...
Kellie Myrum

Nedra Cheff
Agreed! At least three modifiers.

This. One hundred times easier

*Edit*

Here is base:
Thanks for the help guys, i did consider adding a fourth button to turn on effect, and then using the current 3 just to set values but in my workflow it doesent quite feel right.
It just means i can only roll up through the values or down not both. I'll probably just live with that, thanks again.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
i tried it but i believe it can't be done with just one modifier
Agreed! At least three modifiers.

you'll need two or just a fourth button to turn on the effect much easier in my opinion.
This. One hundred times easier

*Edit*

Here is base:
Era Roka
i tried it but i believe it can't be done with just one modifier, you'll need two or just a fourth button to turn on the effect much easier in my opinion.

At a point i thought i succeeded but unfortunately the effect didn't turned off if you just pressed 1 or two buttons

good luck!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by midinoob
here r tutorials but idk if its what you want it to do but it might help
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/02/0...treet-fighter/
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/02/0...ced-modifiers/
I believe he is looking for something different than connecting modifier conditions in a row and in only one direction.
Camelia Slivinsky
here r tutorials but idk if its what you want it to do but it might help
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/02/0...treet-fighter/
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/02/0...ced-modifiers/

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy