Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Stewe
Something in particular?
No, I just Like being able to see what others have come up with. Maybe we should make a thread of actual parameter collections so people can then use them as a starting point.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
Works great have any more?
Something in particular?
Valeri Millstein
Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Delay
Add in > FX Unit > Unit On / type-button / mode-toggle
Add in > FX Unit > Button 2 / type-button / mode-toggle
Add in > FX Unit > Button 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0
Add in > FX Unit > DryWet / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 1 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.600
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 2 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.400
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
Add in > FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Single
Add in > FX Unit > FX Store preset / type-button / mode-trigger

Make same FX unit assignment for all commands.
Works great have any more?
Valeri Millstein
Amazing thread!
Kellie Myrum
Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Delay
Add in > FX Unit > Unit On / type-button / mode-toggle
Add in > FX Unit > Button 2 / type-button / mode-toggle
Add in > FX Unit > Button 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0
Add in > FX Unit > DryWet / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 1 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.600
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 2 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.400
Add in > FX Unit > Knob 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
Add in > FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Single
Add in > FX Unit > FX Store preset / type-button / mode-trigger

Make same FX unit assignment for all commands.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by joeschmo
Got it!!

i would have never been able to find that my own, underneath the never-ending nested menus.. !!
i looked everywhere!!
The interaction mode that comes up by default when you change the type of controller to Button is Inc, and that doesn't allow one to select the list of FX... which is why i never saw them.

Thank you!!!
Come to right place then! You are welcome.
Travis Jeronimus
It's easy to map multiple effect selectors to same button/knob - if I understand correctly you question?

Add in > FX unit > Effect selector
type button
mode-direct
value-select effect from list
Got it!!

i would have never been able to find that my own, underneath the never-ending nested menus.. !!
i looked everywhere!!
The interaction mode that comes up by default when you change the type of controller to Button is Inc, and that doesn't allow one to select the list of FX... which is why i never saw them.

Thank you!!!
Kellie Myrum
Thank you for your reply.
I do see you can see the "FX unit Modifier" can be set to single or group.. but i still don't see where you can assign the list of installed FX to another modifier or button.
I don't see the list of FX anywhere..

The way NI is developing Traktor's MIDI mapping tools looks suspiciously like the very unpopular and cryptic Reaktor core, which pretty much requires one to know a lot of DSP to do even the most simple tasks.

I don't know why NI are so reluctant to let users script their mappings, instead of hiding the whole thing under this horrid and cryptic chains of menus.. (much like Reaktor) yuk...

no wonder why Reaktor pretty much failed (and was indeed abandoned for several years) where Max / MSP took off and became very popular.

Thanks!
It's easy to map multiple effect selectors to same button/knob - if I understand correctly you question?

Add in > FX unit > Effect selector
type button
mode-direct
value-select effect from list
Travis Jeronimus
Ni have joined group and single FX mode into one page indeed. Only way Traktor can know which mode are you talking to is to dedicate modifier condition group/single or to map FX mode button-direct to button or knob.
Thank you for your reply.
I do see you the "FX unit Mode" can be queried to be single or group.. but i still don't see where you can assign the list of installed FX to another modifier or button, depending on the value of this modifier..
I don't see the list of FX anywhere..

<rant>
The way NI is developing Traktor's MIDI mapping tools looks suspiciously like the very unpopular and cryptic Reaktor core, which pretty much requires one to know a lot of DSP to do even the most simple tasks.

I don't know why NI are so reluctant to let users script their mappings using text based tools, instead of hiding the whole thing under this horrid and cryptic chains of menus.. (much like Reaktor) yuk...

no wonder why Reaktor pretty much failed (and was indeed abandoned for several years) where Max / MSP took off and became very popular.

doing complex scripting, using menus, sucks!
another thing that reminds me of reaktor is Traktor's horrible documentation of their MIDI mapping or lack there of..
</rant>

Thanks!
Kellie Myrum
Hi,

First of all, let me thank everyone who has posted much useful information in this thread.

I wanted to ask anyone who may know.. in Traktor 2.5+, NI did away with the FX Group, and replaced it with FX Unit.
Unfortunately, i am trying to map different FX chains to a few knobs like many of the existing video tutorials, but i am unable to do so, as it seems the ability to map specific FXs to knobs or buttons has disappeared.
Is there a way to map FX now, the way you could map them before, in Traktor 2.6?

Thanks
Ni have joined group and single FX mode into one page indeed. Only way Traktor can know which mode are you talking to is to dedicate modifier condition group/single or to map FX mode button-direct to button or knob.
Travis Jeronimus
Hi,

First of all, let me thank everyone who has posted much useful information in this thread.

I wanted to ask anyone who may know.. in Traktor 2.5+, NI did away with the FX Group, and replaced it with FX Unit.
Unfortunately, i am trying to map different FX chains to a few knobs like many of the existing video tutorials, but i am unable to do so, as it seems the ability to map specific FXs to knobs or buttons has disappeared.
Is there a way to map FX now, the way you could map them before, in Traktor 2.6?

Thanks
Beata Barata
Untitled-1.jpg I can do midi map the first four lines (red ) like a - (Add in > Remix deck > Slot Capture/Trigger/Mute - remix deck3 slot 1-2-3-4 ) how map slot 5-6-7-8 (green ) ??
Lashawnda Devenny
Hi Guys !
Hope you're well!
I've a question. I use APC40 for all traktor control stuff.
After updating the Traktor to 2.6 version, the leds on my mapping doesn't stay "on" when i put on it. The light is off.

Someone have the same problem?

Thanks for your help !
Kellie Myrum
I'm glad that helps
Echo Kreilick
Ok, cool thanks, I knew it had to be something simple like that.
Kellie Myrum
Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Filter
Echo Kreilick
Hey guys, this is probably a bit of a noob thing but I can't seem to find it. But I have a launchpad and an X1. I have instant grad mapped on the launch pad for decks A and B, and I want map the effects back on to the X1. Because I tested the instant grad mapping, by changing the effect and then hitting the effect on the launchpad and it does change back. So I'm asking, how do you map in an effect to change when you hit the button? Like I want to add filters to the bottom to knob on the X1 for deck A and B. I've tried to figure it out. Thanks guys.
Nana Mohs
Originally Posted by fuzzywussti
Done! Thx very much man, really useful advice!

I always made my top LED red, next one down amber, then yellow. The next 5 down are just green. Helps me keep an eye on my output without always having to look at the screen.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 3dask
how map samples on deck c ??1.jpg
Add in > Remix deck > Slot Capture/Trigger/Mute
Beata Barata
how map samples on deck c ??1.jpg
Kellie Myrum
You are welcome! I'm glad you sort it out.
Mervin Blandy
Tweaking controller range for monitor level LED output should do the trick.

From down to up:

-Button 1 / 0.000 - 0.050
-Button 2 / 0.000 - 0.120
-Button 3 / 0.000 - 0.350
-Button 4 / 0.000 - 0.480
-Button 5 / 0.000 - 0.680
-Button 6 / 0.000 - 0.760
-Button 7 / 0.000 - 0.875
-Button 8 / 0.000 - 0.970
Kellie Myrum
Hi! I need help... how can i map the novation launchpad right buttons with the master output meter to make a cool effect with the music playing?
Tweaking controller range for monitor level LED output should do the trick.

From down to up:

-Button 1 / 0.000 - 0.050
-Button 2 / 0.000 - 0.120
-Button 3 / 0.000 - 0.350
-Button 4 / 0.000 - 0.480
-Button 5 / 0.000 - 0.680
-Button 6 / 0.000 - 0.760
-Button 7 / 0.000 - 0.875
-Button 8 / 0.000 - 0.970
Mervin Blandy
Hi! I need help... how can i map the novation launchpad right buttons with the master output meter to make a cool effect with the music playing?
Kellie Myrum
To map Flux mode follow this steps to add command at Assignment Table from Controller manager:

Add in > Deck Common > Flux Mode On / enable learn / press desired button / disable learn
-type of controller - Button
-interaction mode - Toggle
-make deck assignment

Add out (LED) > Deck Common > Flux Mode On > repeat learning process
-type of controller - LED
-interaction mode - Output
-controller range - first slot=0 ; second slot=1
-make deck assignment
Louvenia Ligman
noob here, how do i map buttons to switch between a/c & b/d?

specifically, i am failing to make this 4 deck http://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/513

i have tried to duplicate the first 2 decks and edit device targets in hopes it would magically work but i am lost tbh
Kellie Myrum
First button - M1=1
-Duplicate it and set modifier conditions to be M1=1, mode-direct and value-0. This way when first bank is active modifier's value is 1 and because you dedicate condition of M1=1 next time you press the same button lLED will go off and bank should become disengaged. Now repeat this same step to rest of banks by using different modifier conditions that are mapped to each of the buttons.

Other way to do it and more simple one is to map another spare button to M1=0 and by pressing it modifier should go to zero and turn off any of banks which is currently active.
Sydney Krattli
Stewe, you are on the ball with all this stuff. many thanks bro. The part i am currently having trouble with is the having toggle-able pages. if i have to duplicate modifiers on the same button to create a toggle (e.g.: the first - value = 0 modifier conditions m1=1, the second value = 1 modifier conditions m1= 0 ), how do i interwine two or four modifer values so only one modifier value is selectable at a time. Current issues i have are all led enabled modifiers just come on and stay on, all turn on or off together, etc. cheers
Kellie Myrum
I suggest you to make yourself a big cop of coffee and start adding modifiers from link I posted

Once you have those pages/banks working you can map all those features from VCI performance mode.
Sydney Krattli
APC40_Unopen_Top.jpg
is it possible to map the 8 buttons to behave as pages, either being cues, gratify effects, grid effects and slicer effect, while only using a single modifier. the pages also need to affect either deck a or deck c on the left and deck b and d on the left. cheers, sorry for the big first question
Kellie Myrum
It requires one modifier with four values:

4 bank settings: http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=55271

I gave example with modifier #1 but you can pick any other. Just make sure every of modes got corresponding modifier conditions dedicated.

slicer - M1=1
grats - M1=2
cue - M1=3
grid - M1=4
Sydney Krattli
APC40_Unopen_Top.jpg
Is it possible to map the 4 pages of 8 buttons ("slicer" "cues" "gratify" and "Grid" on the picture) without using a modifer, or just one.
Kellie Myrum
It doesn't matter if it's plugged or not from my experience with bcd. Just follow those steps it told you and make sure that midi In and Out ports are not set to "all controllers" instead you need to set it to controller that's corresponding to mapping you are importing. Import numark mapping > set numark as In/Out and vice versa for akai mapping.

Both tsi files should not clash since they come in different Generic devices, other words, It won't in-write into existing mapping and rather it will be in separate generic device which are working simultaneously.

One thing that counts are midi channels and there are 16 midi channels. With every of this channels traktor can communicate independently which means that it can be plugged up to 16 controllers total if every of it is mapped in different midi channel. Point is to make sure your mappings aren't mapped in same midi channel because if those controllers are sharing some of midi massages there could be conflicts and you should re-map akai in that case.
Oscar Sheredy
I need to do that with BOTH plugged ?

And how I select the controller AND the pad in the global settings ( the button the the right of the little import botton ) ?

And I need to export the tsi file, and import it again ?

Both tsi files won't clash ??

By the way, thanks for the help
Kellie Myrum
Instal Numark tsi from big Import button (bottom screen) and for second tsi use Add button from device menu. When you set things right, use Export buton to save both mappings in to one tsi for further reference.
Oscar Sheredy
Can someone help me with my Traktor mapping ? I have an Numark Total Control, and an Akai LPD8. I mapped the pad to work with Traktor, but I couldn't use both pad and controller together. I have the tsi file for both, But I don't know how to put them together in Traktor. What I want to say is that or I use the controller, or the pad, I can't work them together. Can someone help me ?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Kensic
now you're speaking my language. yea the idea was awesome....but not practical in real life situation.

yea i just moved on from that idea and use the traditional shift button delete motion.....i my mind....I HATE USING SHIFT BUTTONS...i avoid shift buttons....just because sometimes i need both of my hands
One hand shifting is easy for me, I have long fingers
Julian Ispas
now you're speaking my language. yea the idea was awesome....but not practical in real life situation.

yea i just moved on from that idea and use the traditional shift button delete motion.....i my mind....I HATE USING SHIFT BUTTONS...i avoid shift buttons....just because sometimes i need both of my hands
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Kensic
no it jumps right when u press/hold the button.

for example... I'm almost the end of the song, and beginning to cue in the next song. so i just want to delete hotcue #2 (located near the beginning of the song) for the heck of it. so i press and hold the button *it jumps to hotcue #2* then i hit myself in the head...."CRAP! i just want to delete it, and now i just messed up my mix" lol
Oh, I thought you wanted one auto deleting hotcue for cue juggle on the fly and deleting it short after that so you can eventually use it again in same track but for different part of song, vocal or whatever. This way you need to believe ahead and the last time you use this hotcue you actually hold it so it can be deleted. For what you want to achieve you need one shift button that can tell that hotcue not to jump while shift is on hold but that could be out of point because you regular use shift anyway for deleting some hotcues.
Julian Ispas
Yea man, I thought to share it here

I'm pretty sure that in my video it doesn't jump back to hotcue after deletion.

Cheers for this idea
no it jumps right when u press/hold the button.

for example... I'm almost the end of the song, and beginning to cue in the next song. so i just want to delete hotcue #2 (located near the beginning of the song) for the heck of it. so i press and hold the button *it jumps to hotcue #2* then i hit myself in the head...."CRAP! i just want to delete it, and now i just messed up my mix" lol

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy