Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Kensic
haha nice, this came up before when i asked if we can delete the hotcue with the same button as the hotcue button. this as a draw back is that to delete it you have to press/hold the button for the modifier to count up then delete.

well it jumps back to the hotcue part, which u dont want to if you're already at somewhere else in the song. but i do like the idea.
Yea man, I thought to share it here

I'm pretty sure that in my video it doesn't jump back to hotcue after deletion.

Cheers for this idea
Julian Ispas
Originally Posted by Stewe
Self-deleting hotcue in Traktor:

haha nice, this came up before when i asked if we can delete the hotcue with the same button as the hotcue button. this as a draw back is that to delete it you have to press/hold the button for the modifier to count up then delete.

well it jumps back to the hotcue part, which u dont want to if you're already at somewhere else in the song. but i do like the idea.
Kellie Myrum
Self-deleting hotcue in Traktor:

Dorcas Bassignani
too true sir, too true

since getting my contours though my crazy mapping days are behind me, i believe it's cos i don't to force them to do more than designed for...
Kellie Myrum
Not just that but it's what is meant for. I can line up eight values before reseting and map eight hotcues or samples with various effects depends on each modifier state increment. From there I can engage some jog FX as well or give that ModCon to some other buttons or faders. Real DJ's could use more knobs like we bedroom DJ's
Dorcas Bassignani
ah, so just lazy macro effects? real djs use more than one knob/fader!!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by BradCee
that's cool, but what would you use it for?!
For smart fader. With toggling modifier 0-1 each time knob is moved from start=0 I have modifier conditions for two sets of combo effects on single knob/fader. I got this idea after reading thread in general discussion about returning to previous set of effects after using a smart knob. You can use one button to bring old preset of effects or map it on fader/knob so it can load those next time it's turned from start.
Dorcas Bassignani
As some of you might know settin toggling modifier to fader will not work with same settings that are used when mapping it to button. We need to use trick there

that's cool, but what would you use it for?!
Kellie Myrum
As some of you might know settin toggling modifier to fader will not work with same settings that are used when mapping it to button. We need to use trick there

Kellie Myrum
With mappings I linked you can do both, browsing with jogwheels and full control over four FX units you can check it out. It is other thing if you want to learn how to map it by yourself?
Edris Nemoto
thanks I havent a clue how to do it all but never mind I`ll find someone!!!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by perryp35
hi do you know how to map a bcd3000 to traktor pro, everything works apart from the sound fx and browsing using the jog wheels.
Can't believe somebody else on this community still uses it... Except of me ofc

Double deck focus: http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=429
Four deck with fader FX: http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=206
Edris Nemoto
hi do you know how to map a bcd3000 to traktor pro, everything works apart from the sound fx and browsing using the jog wheels.
Matt Hanberry
Wow what an amazing thread, thanks for all the great tips!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by salsero316
if you can..i would really appreciate it!!
Nice! If you are about to create a diagram make sure you use good resolution pic. Also make sure to double check all codes before uploading.

Cheers
Kina Abesamis
Think you can create image with diagram of midi controls? Note and CC. I don't have that controller but I could make you simple 4 deck mapping if I have all those codes and then upload it here so you can test it out.
if you can..i would really appreciate it!!
Kellie Myrum
i have a little bit of knowledge on mapping..i get confuse on certain parts..gonna name a few...the fx,the the led screen on my quad and the loops and hot cues.
Think you can create image with diagram of midi controls? Note and CC. I don't have that controller but I could make you simple 4 deck mapping if I have all those codes and then upload it here so you can test it out.
Kina Abesamis
[QUOTE=Stewe;523304]Do you have some basic knowledge how to create a mapping?[/QUOT

i have a little bit of knowledge on mapping..i get confuse on certain parts..gonna name a few...the fx,the the led screen on my quad and the loops and hot cues.
Kellie Myrum
i tried looking...but have not seen a mapping for the mixdeck quad..do you have any suggestions??
Do you have some basic knowledge how to create a mapping?
Percy Delcolle
@salsero316 Found one, not sure will it work for you: http://traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingview.aspx?id=405
Percy Delcolle
@Eric Zone - Have you added LED outputs for all those commands?
Actually, found a way for fixing almost all of the problems, but still don't know how to create that some kind of superfader which I explained in the previous post.
Kina Abesamis
i tried looking...but have not seen a mapping for the mixdeck quad..do you have any suggestions??
Kellie Myrum
dont have much time to program all the buttuns...what should i do??
You should look for mapping...
Kina Abesamis
dont have much time to program all the buttuns...what should i do??
Kina Abesamis
connecting and having it play out...
Dorcas Bassignani
hi there...im having a problem mapping my mixdeck quad to traktor pro 2???
in what way?
Kina Abesamis
hi there...im having a problem mapping my mixdeck quad to traktor pro 2???
Kellie Myrum
@Eric Zone - Have you added LED outputs for all those commands?
Percy Delcolle
Hi, this is my first post on this community and I hope I will get some kind of respond.

Today I got my first piece of kit (after using pirated Traktor Pro with nothing more then a keyboard and a mouse for about a year, don't come from a very rich family actually). I'm an author of a mapping for keyboard that was featured in this article on djranking s (really proud of that, I have over 3000 downloads on TraktorBible).

So, today I got my AKAI APC20, beautiful piece of gear . I've spend a lot of hours believeing what I should buy (Kontrol X1, AKAI APC20 and Mixtrack Pro were the controlers I considered for my really low price range).

Of course, I imediately wanted to custom map it and use it with Traktor Pro 2.

Now, I have a few questions:

1. How to create a some kind of super fader?
All of my faders are currently set to the middle. Basicly, what I want to do, is lower the frequencies when I lower the fader, and, when I increase the frequencies back to the original state and put the faders back in the middle, if I decide to go up with faders, I don't want to increase the frequencies above 0. I want to control the effects instead. Now, I don't know is this possible and how to do it. I have a basic knowledge about mappings, but this is more of an advanced feature.

2. A lot of problems with the LEDs.
a) I mapped master tempo to the button, but I don't know how to map the LED so it turns on when the master tempo is on, and turns of when I turn off the master tempo.
b) I watched a tutorial about mapping the LEDs to hotcues, but, I ran into a problem. I mapped the Hotcue states to eight different buttons, so I'm guessing they should turn on if there is that cue point in the loaded track, but they don't, and, even if they do, they turn off after I trigger them. I don't want that. I want them to stay on even if I press them (if there is a hotcue on that place of course). Same problem with sample decks. I want LEDs on if there is a sample in that sample slot.
c) Problem with colors - don't know how to set a controller range and a MIDI range so they change a color to... Let's say red for an example.
d) I want some LEDs to be on all of the time, no matter if I press that buttons or not, but, don't know how to do it.

That's about it. I'm hoping I'll get some kind of help so I can solve at least one of my five problems.

And sorry if my english is bad, it's not my primary language.
Dorcas Bassignani
Originally Posted by edeoldi
@BradCee: It might interest you, that you only need one modifier to control for both decks A and B.
Example (Sync button):
Code:
mod=0 -> sync neither A nor B
mod=1 -> sync button A
mod=2 -> sync button B
mod=3 -> sync button A and B

enable sync A (if mod=0) -> mod=1
enable sync B (if mod=0) -> mod=2	
enable sync A (if mod=2) -> mod=3
enable sync B (if mod=1) -> mod=3

disable sync A (if mod=1) -> mod=0
disable sync A (if mod=3) -> mod=2
disable sync B (if mod=2) -> mod=0
disable sync B (if mod=3) -> mod=1
that actually didn't come to mind tbh.. hmmm... nice work

The Blend option tells Traktor to also send out values between the Min and Max. If unchecked, Traktor sends out the Max value whenever the value is larger than the Min value.
yeah, that, best used for things like vu meters, or anything where you want a different intensity of light. tbh i can't believe of many useful examples. did once use it with a crossfader for no good reason, lol
Kellie Myrum
The Blend option tells Traktor to also send out values between the Min and Max. If unchecked, Traktor sends out the Max value whenever the value is larger than the Min value.
Johnsie Zike
so when in normal play mode mod=0?

how are you mapping these? is it with using the out functions for play, cue etc...?

as a work-around with leds for displaying layers/button modes it's easier mapping the mod condition, so in your case that all the buttons turn red in cue mode, e.g when mod1=1 by just setting a modifier output on all the buttons

on the normal play layer do this for the mod1=0 condition. for the play button you can add the additional condition that play=yes (or however it is worded)

so lights on if mod1=0 and playing
and lights off if mod1=0 and not playing or mod1=1 and either playing/stopped

on the sync button however, i don't believe a sync condition exists, but you could use an additional mod2 for this toggling between 1 and 0 based on condition mod1=0 on the first modifier

so lights on if mod1=0 and mod2=1
and off if mod1=0 and mod2=0 or mod1=1 and mod=1 or 2

assuming you have enough mods left, as you'd then need mods 3 and 4 for deck b to do the same
Did you specify correct modifier conditions to both layer LED's outputs? In hotcue layer M=0 and other layer M=1. I assume you use toggle modifier?
Thanks to BradCee and Stewe!
I had already given a thought the workaround through modifiers, but hoped to find an easier solution.
Nevertheless, I just spent about 6 hours mapping the sh** out of my K2 and finally: it works!

@BradCee: It might interest you, that you only need one modifier to control for both decks A and B.
Example (Sync button):
Code:
mod=0 -> sync neither A nor B
mod=1 -> sync button A
mod=2 -> sync button B
mod=3 -> sync button A and B

enable sync A (if mod=0) -> mod=1
enable sync B (if mod=0) -> mod=2	
enable sync A (if mod=2) -> mod=3
enable sync B (if mod=1) -> mod=3

disable sync A (if mod=1) -> mod=0
disable sync A (if mod=3) -> mod=2
disable sync B (if mod=2) -> mod=0
disable sync B (if mod=3) -> mod=1
One more question for the experts: what's your experience with the "blend" option in traktor. Is it really as arbitrary, as it seems? I ran into a few problems with the LED feedback; sometimes enabling the "blend" option solved the problem, sometimes it didn't, although the command structure was exactly the same?! Weird..

Thanks
edeoldi
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by RobotsCantDance
I have an issue with a custom 3 deck mapping for a VCI-100. I have 3 knobs in a row with a button underneath each (that have LEDs). What I have set up is knobs 1,2 and 3 all have ArmyOfMe's reverb sweep superknob assigned to them and route decks A, B and C to them respectively (deck A and C use FX Unit 1, B uses FX Unit 2) while the buttons trigger the button 2 of effect united 3 + 4, ie the "freeze" effect. Now I can get the LEDs in the buttons to light up when the freeze effect is activated, but as deck A and C both use the same FX slot, both lights A and C will switch on when only one of the decks is being effected. I tried to work around this with a modifier assigned to the knobs, but this results in the light staying on even after I turn the knob all the way back (so both FX1 and FX3 are off), and I have to slightly turn on and off the knob very quickly to turn it off, which is a pain and might lead to issues of FX being applied when I dont want them too.

Anyone have any idea? I get that this was very long winded so I might have to record a Stewe style video haha!
Set M1=1 (direct) to knob A and set M1=2 to knob B. Now give on/off condition to LEDs by using this modifier
Tona Khy
I have an issue with a custom 3 deck mapping for a VCI-100. I have 3 knobs in a row with a button underneath each (that have LEDs). What I have set up is knobs 1,2 and 3 all have ArmyOfMe's reverb sweep superknob assigned to them and route decks A, B and C to them respectively (deck A and C use FX Unit 1, B uses FX Unit 2) while the buttons trigger the button 2 of effect united 3 + 4, ie the "freeze" effect. Now I can get the LEDs in the buttons to light up when the freeze effect is activated, but as deck A and C both use the same FX slot, both lights A and C will switch on when only one of the decks is being effected. I tried to work around this with a modifier assigned to the knobs, but this results in the light staying on even after I turn the knob all the way back (so both FX1 and FX3 are off), and I have to slightly turn on and off the knob very quickly to turn it off, which is a pain and might lead to issues of FX being applied when I dont want them too.

Anyone have any idea? I get that this was very long winded so I might have to record a Stewe style video haha!
Dorcas Bassignani
Hey all,
i encountered a problem, while mapping my Xone:K2 and trying to partially simulate the "Layers" feature.
Here's what I'm trying to do:
Normal State
Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-13 um 17.58.07.jpg
After pressing the "Switch Layer" button
Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-13 um 17.55.04.jpg
I mapped my controller to give LED feedback,
i.e. the play button blinks red, when Deck is playing; the Monitor Button lights up red, when monitor is toggled on the deck; sync button lights up in green; etc... - I did this by utilizing the standard OUT commands.
When pressing the "Switch Layer" button, I would like ALL BUTTONS to light up in red, to give me a visual indication that I am currently in the "cue point" layer. This is also possible, using the standard OUT commands.
HOWEVER:
when switching back from the "cue point" layer to "normal" layer, the LED's behavior does not switch back to "normal" mode (blinking red play button, green sync button). I tried to "inverse" the LED OUT commands, when the "Switch layer modifier" goes back to 0, but all it does is that it turns off all the LEDs.
so when in normal play mode mod=0?

how are you mapping these? is it with using the out functions for play, cue etc...?

as a work-around with leds for displaying layers/button modes it's easier mapping the mod condition, so in your case that all the buttons turn red in cue mode, e.g when mod1=1 by just setting a modifier output on all the buttons

on the normal play layer do this for the mod1=0 condition. for the play button you can add the additional condition that play=yes (or however it is worded)

so lights on if mod1=0 and playing
and lights off if mod1=0 and not playing or mod1=1 and either playing/stopped

on the sync button however, i don't believe a sync condition exists, but you could use an additional mod2 for this toggling between 1 and 0 based on condition mod1=0 on the first modifier

so lights on if mod1=0 and mod2=1
and off if mod1=0 and mod2=0 or mod1=1 and mod=1 or 2

assuming you have enough mods left, as you'd then need mods 3 and 4 for deck b to do the same
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by DJ Zoo
Thanks again Stewe!
Kellie Myrum
Hey all,
i encountered a problem, while mapping my Xone:K2 and trying to partially simulate the "Layers" feature.
Normal State
i.e. the play button blinks red, when Deck is playing; the Monitor Button lights up red, when monitor is toggled on the deck; sync button lights up in green; etc... - I did this by utilizing the standard OUT commands.
When pressing the "Switch Layer" button, I would like ALL BUTTONS to light up in red, to give me a visual indication that I am currently in the "cue point" layer. This is also possible, using the standard OUT commands.
HOWEVER:
when switching back from the "cue point" layer to "normal" layer, the LED's behavior does not switch back to "normal" mode (blinking red play button, green sync button). I tried to "inverse" the LED OUT commands, when the "Switch layer modifier" goes back to 0, but all it does is that it turns off all the LEDs.
Did you specify correct modifier conditions to both layer LED's outputs? In hotcue layer M=0 and other layer M=1. I assume you use toggle modifier?
Ira Osak
Hi Zoo, I look in your mapping now and see that you have mapped "Delete Hotcue" output for all hotcues and since this command effect to whole deck and not specific hotcue you wanted to. Delete it. Find some other alternative, you can always download someone's mapping which has properly mapped LEDs and then try to replicate same settings in to your mapping.
Thanks again Stewe!
Johnsie Zike
Hey all,
Normal State
HOWEVER:
Werner Kust
have you booted the apc in dumb mode?
Phew, quite a while ago since I was on the community s and so many new posts! :O
Yes, it is in dumb mode, as I wanted to have full control over all buttons. (My problem is described in post #320 on page 32.)

There is probably a way to sync a virtual knob to the APC40, but it goes beyond MIDI, I suppose. Or somebody knew the Ableton Live code snippets and how they work with the knobs, because in Live it works perfectly. But I cannot understand that...Akai states the APC40 to be a MIDI controller...I don't know. :/

Thanks for the reply, however!
needforseeed

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy