Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)Reply
Official Novation Twitch Owners Thread(?)
Posted on: 25.08.2011 by N I
I thought we, owners of the Twitch could gather all the info, tips, TSI's etc regarding the love bunny that is Novation Twitch.

So, I've been pining for thing machine since I first saw it months ago and I've had it on pre order for about 2 months. I finally got it yesterday and even took it out playing on the first day, with Itch. I wanted to give Itch an honest chance during a sturdy 6 hour set.

Needless to say the first thing I did this morning was to download and mod the Traktor Pro 2 mapping. The only thing I've done so far is to replace play/pause with CUP and changed beat sync to tempo sync and replaced toggle with hold so I don't have to double click to just sync the tempo, not the track. But I see other things I want to change soon as well, I believe the Twitch will be for me, what the VCI100 was for Ean.

I must say this is what I've been waiting for since I started feeling limited and tired of the VCI100 2 years ago. Now that I know how bad subwoofers mess up the jog wheels performance in a club, I will undoubtedly never get another controller with jog wheels again. Not to mention the shear amount of real estate you lose on your controller.

The only thing right now that I haven't been able to figure out is how to make the touch strip more sensitive. I want it to move less fast, so I can nail the cue point perfectly.

Other than that, the build, the feel, the buttons and knobs (some of the knobs have a bit too much resistance, but like any woman, they'll soften up eventually, wait, what?), it all feels great, light weight but sturdy.

Go on, tell us what you believe of it and if you're working on some creative mappings.
Tatum Ansaldo
@turboant nice video! I wish I understood resolume lol.
Candy Vardy
Hey guys, super stoked, I finally got my Twitch in the mail yesterday after waiting almost a month for it! :eek:

So far I'm loving it, busy reading up on Itch online at the moment trying to learn as much as possible.

Now I can finally call myself a proud Twitch owner!
Dom Davis
I
Kecia Wnukowski
I've just watched some random videos about the slicer mode. This is really sexy. And for once that's something I wish Traktor would have. It is a very nice and good sounding feature.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
The xone DX has one. I believe the xone 1:d was intended to be set up to have one too.
I've been saying it's the way forward for ages. I wanna see one deck controllers with them.
even my lowly hercules mk2 has them admittedly u can't push them in to get a different resolution... i hated that about the mk2 when i first got it - but like having a couple of encoders on it now - not that i use it at all often now...
Nilsa Erben
Very much so...only played with it for a couple of hours, need to sit down and go through the manual carefully..compare Itch and Traktor, but I believe I'm liking Itch at the moment.
Laurice Migneco
Yeah man, right behind you in the suit!

Enjoying your purchase??

Cheers
D
Nilsa Erben
Originally Posted by S4racen
And that means they can be quantized as well don't it Sherpapsy... all demo'd by a guy who's not a professional dj! lol

Cheers
D
Hey! Were you there? I was the fellow who walked out with a huge bag filled with a twitch box at the end
Laurice Migneco
And that means they can be quantized as well don't it Sherpapsy... all demo'd by a guy who's not a professional dj! lol

Cheers
D
Nilsa Erben
Originally Posted by DJSooter
Anyone tried mapping the samplebanks in Traktor to the 8 deckbuttons allready?
As I mentioned in another thread, the fellow doing the Novation Itch Seminars in the UK has mapped cue 5-8 to the sample decks, just to show it can be done.
Tamekia Stroker
Anyone tried mapping the samplebanks in Traktor to the 8 deckbuttons allready?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
It's great in ITCH, I can tell you that much. I'm actually amazed it's taken this long for a controller to come out with an endless relative pitch control, it just makes sense.
The xone DX has one. I believe the xone 1:d was intended to be set up to have one too.
I've been saying it's the way forward for ages. I wanna see one deck controllers with them.
Neoma Picklesimer
It doesn't exist. Slicer is a software feature of ITCH. People are working on mapping it, but as of now it's not possible.
And u own one? Whatcha doing here?! Get back behind your Twitch and tweak that Traktor mapping!
Delmar Swamy
you know.. its funny, Im subscribed to this thread... yet I could only hope of owning a twitch XD
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
I'm curious, how good the Slicer-mode is working in Traktor with Twitch...

Owners have an opinion on this?
It doesn't exist. Slicer is a software feature of ITCH. People are working on mapping it, but as of now it's not possible.
Neoma Picklesimer
I'm curious, how good the Slicer-mode is working in Traktor with Twitch...

Owners have an opinion on this?
Brook Hoschouer
Hey Double G, if you are looking to buy X1, it may be a good idea to check the prices on Junodownload. I know that they have just put the X1 on a discount.
Deanna Holbrooks
Originally Posted by Bunford
would it be worth getting the X1 as a supplementary controller to the Twitch or is the Twitch enough to control everything you need in Traktor?
Thats what iam about to do cause the fx on the twitch aren't bad but i feel limited so the x1 would make life easier and give you more real estate to use for other mappings If your order from B&H Photo you get a free case too all for 200$ and plus free tp 2 so WIN WIN WIN

...and once those precious traktor mapping start coming out, that even make use of the slicer too, then the twitch will be orgasmic to use for traktor users.

BTW good on ya guys for not turning this twitch thread in a argument unlike the other one
Brook Hoschouer
Jip,

I still haven't got my Twitch unit, but from past experience, units with this kind of switching usually have soft takeover. That practically means that nothing happens until the previous state is met.

So, in your case, it would mean that while moving the fader, nothing would happen until 80% is reached and then the control would take over and start to make changes to the parameter.
Aliza Sorbello
Kaek makes a good point. I cant seem to find anything about it anywhere.

If for example you have:

Deck A - Set level to 80%
Deck C - Set level to 50%

If you then switch back to deck A and slightly move the fader up, is your level on deck A set to 51%?

Probably a bit of an extreme case but theres no information I can find to explain what would happen. You could end up with erratic jumps in volume if you used 4 deck mode.
Tatum Ansaldo
Damn, at some point soon I will get around to trying the Twitch out with Traktor guys but right now I'm so snowed under with work that I have very little free time! emil_brikha looks like he's got it covered though.
May Artman
Originally Posted by Bunford
I'll be getting my Twitch very soon! Not sure whether I'm gonna use Itch or Traktor yet. Got Traktor Pro 2, and that's what I'm used to but I'm intrigued by Itch and the slicer.

If I do continue to use Traktor, would it be worth getting the X1 as a supplementary controller to the Twitch or is the Twitch enough to control everything you need in Traktor?
"enough" and "everything you need" are very subjective. A single X1 is "enough" to play a set in Traktor. Its more about your preferences, so you'll have to take a look at what you can do with it (just looking at the buttons/knobs/faders available and how you want them mapped) and decide for yourself.
Olene Minyard
I'll be getting my Twitch very soon! Not sure whether I'm gonna use Itch or Traktor yet. Got Traktor Pro 2, and that's what I'm used to but I'm intrigued by Itch and the slicer.

If I do continue to use Traktor, would it be worth getting the X1 as a supplementary controller to the Twitch or is the Twitch enough to control everything you need in Traktor?
N I
Kaek: It works great, the little I've tried it. I'm a 2 deck kind of guy, with a sample deck on the side, so I'm eventually just gonna remap those 8 numbered buttons to correspond with a C or D deck in sampler mode.

Jip: Just map the sample deck buttons to the 1-8 buttons and you're set. Looping is premapped in the original tsi and you use the 1-8 buttons to change the loop size.
Aliza Sorbello
How does this work with sample decks and looping in traktor?
Candy Vardy
Mines still on order.

They told me it was going to be shipped yesterday, but now they told me today or tomorrow...WTF

I'm starting to wonder about this online store...

I do not recommend musicstore.com!
Monroe Vandeslunt
Can anyone tell me what it is like to use 4 deck mode on the twitch?

I saw an official twitch vid on youtube showing that each deck can be switched to decks C & D in traktor but with only 2 channel faders how do you adjust each decks levels?
Brook Hoschouer
Thank you Emil! I believe I am sold. I just need to wait for the local distributor to receive their batch of Twitch units and you will have another member in the Twitch community.
N I
I believe the output is plenty loud, nothing extreme but nothing I noticed anything strange about.

Headphones, I can impossibly comment on because I use in ear monitors, so I never need to crank it.
Brook Hoschouer
What about the sound level? There were complaints the sound card's output is not loud enough. What about the headphone output? I am usually playing breaks and drum'n'bass = extremely loud sound system in the club, so I need a loud headphone output on my controller.

I could still use another soundcard and have the Twitch as a midi controller only, but since it already has a sound card integrated, it would be good to carry one item less to the clubs.
N I
Tripnotic: I can easily say that the Twitch is a wet dream come true. It's what I've always wanted to have with Traktor and coming from VCI100 > Traktor S4 and now Twitch, I couldn't be more happy. No lag, no glitches, no bugs, the only thing I want to improve is the sensitivity of the touch strip, to make it move slower to be able to set the cue points with better precision.

The mapping with matching overlay is flawless so far, I just remapped a few detailed functions as mentioned above but I can seriously not find a flaw on this machine. It's light weight but sturdy, soundcard is really nice sounding and all the buttons and knobs feel like they can stand some beating.
Brook Hoschouer
Oh, it looks like I finally found the thread I was looking for. I need a new controller and liked the concept of s4 (minus the jog wheels, the size, the availability of just 2 FX units per deck and the price) and was seriously considering to get a Faderfox DJ3 (or two of them for access to 4 decks without much switching). Than Twitch was announced, but info of its usability with Traktor was nowhere to be found.

Now when I saw the S2, I believe the decision is imminent - I just need to hear the first hand experience of DJs who are using Twitch with Traktor, since I really don't want to use Itch. So, how is it? Responsive or not (there seemed to be significant lag on the promo videos)? How is the Novation provided mapping? After studying it on paper, it really makes sense, but how is it when you actually use it?

Anything you found annoying (other than the obvious a/c b/d switching)? Any hidden problems?

Thank you!
Kecia Wnukowski
It's great in ITCH, I can tell you that much. I'm actually amazed it's taken this long for a controller to come out with an endless relative pitch control, it just makes sense.
I thought it was the case for a long time on the 1d,2d,3d,4d and DX. Well, usually you mapped this function on the endless encoders on those unit and it's clearly the case on the Dx isn't it?
Annalisa Shogren
If only I could scratch. I suppose technically I could also run SSL and ITCH in parallel if I wanted to. Hmmm... possibilities.
Such hassle.
N I
I love what they've done with the pitch control and touch strips, freeing so much real estate! The pitch knob is great because one click, when moved slow, is 0.01 bpm adjustment, but twist the knob faster and it shoots away really fast, works exactly the same in Traktor, with same precision.
Tatum Ansaldo
Suppose I could also use Traktor and have it all in one, I just seem to be going through a bit of a Serato phase atm.
Breanne Penge
I was believeing about that - would be nice to use SSL for scratching....but I'll stick with a traditional record until SSL and ITCH finally merge like in my dream the other evening ...
Tatum Ansaldo
If only I could scratch. I suppose technically I could also run SSL and ITCH in parallel if I wanted to. Hmmm... possibilities.
Breanne Penge
Drool. want so bad.

Twitch --> mixer <-- 1200 for scratching

Win.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by jprime
How is the pitch control knob? I was curious how this would perform

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy