Denon Dn Sc2000

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Denon Dn Sc2000Reply
Denon Dn Sc2000
Posted on: 19.11.2010 by Denyse Waterland
recently bought a sc2000 but im having trouble with it.
im not sure if its the harware, my software (Traktor) or the tsi file i got from the denon site.
Basically the deck change button, pitch slider, cue and play pause work fine. the track select knob if also fine. but the platter only works with deck b, when deck a is selected it seems to control the first effect on effect deck 1. the hot cue buttons dont seem to work at all, though the LED's light up and it is sending a midi signal, the little icon at the top of the traktor screen lights up. the effects controls dont work, but are also sending a signal, same with filter.

If anyone has any advise id be happy to hear from them, hopefully i just cocked up the setting up of the controler..
Lisa Lochotzki
I sure get 1 or 2 K2, not sure what i'll sit around it. 1,2,3 or 4 X1. Sure enough a pair of SC2000 would do a nice & compact setup.
Tillie Sliman
Really hoping to drop a Xone K2 in between two of these for the ultimate mobile/modular setup... anyone else planning on doing the same?
Lisa Lochotzki
Reduce the pitch range in VDJ (if at all possible) would help. Instead of +/- 20 use +/- 8 ... something like that.
Corey Ganer
Just bought it today.
Man, this thing is High Quality!
One question, is there a way to make the pitch slider a bit less sensitive? I use VirtualDJ (works brilliantly BTW) and in order to change like 0.02 of the pitch you have to make sooooo small movements...

PS: I have installed the firmware update.
Denyse Waterland
Originally Posted by HarryK
So, to any DN-SC2000 users out there, how's long term performance? Any problems hardware or software related?
its built like a tank, still going strong after over a year of heavy use
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by HarryK
So, to any DN-SC2000 users out there, how's long term performance? Any problems hardware or software related?
Nope, still works fine and had it ages
Corey Ganer
Cristi Sucha
Yeah I also looked into the Denon SC2000s but the only reason I didn't get them is because I got an amazing deal on a VMS4. I wanted to use timecode so I do that now with the VMS4. If you have a a soundcard go for it! One of the opinions I got when I asked about them was "I would go for two Denon SC2000s over a S4 any day" which really made a big impression. Those are really great controllers and I bet you'll really like em once you get them. Especially sense you're getting two which control 4 decks.
Walter Streacker
Probably found a super deal for the DN SC2000 so will try them anyway... will pay the couple much less than what I would pay the S2... and I already have a soundcard and a mixer... so... will let you know my impressions. Will likely also upgrade to TSP2 and use them with it...

Any feedback about the previous questions is still very very welcome.

Thank you!
Walter Streacker
Originally Posted by exokinetic
Okay, after a couple weeks fiddling with BOTH devices (X1 and DN-SC2000) I can say this....

I still would not be able to decide if I could only buy one....heh.

The pitch fader, and jogwheel on the Denon are very crisp, and a serious godsend for DJ transitions, where I might have to mix my track into an analogue source, with no from of digital BPM detection (all ear baby).

But the indented rotary encoders for the FX knobs on the Denon really kill me.

I meen, Denon designed those encoders to be solely for effects...

When it is indented like that, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get clean "sweaping" with the encoder (as compared to the APC encoders which have no indents, and allow a very natural sweep through the parameter band they are set to)...

Very sad panda, so I still use my X1 in my setup with two Denon's (becuase I am lazy, and I use the 4 deck mapping for playing 2 decks, so I never have to switch between the deck layers on the Denon, heh).

I was really kinda expecting the two Denon's to replace all the funtionality the X1 had, but those FX pots on the X1 are a MUST for the filters that I love.

SO....

In conclusion, for me, if I could ONLY HAVE ONE, it would be the X1.

But if your in a situation where you use the effects on the mixer, or dont use many effects at all, but you come from a very traditional beatmatching background, the Denon is probably for you.

/end rant
Hi Everyone, but especially Exokinetic ,

I am deciding between an S2, a reloop Jockey master edition, 2 Reloop Contours and 2 Denon dn sc2000 to be used with Traktor Pro (probably upgrading soon to TP2).
I already own an X1 which I use with an analogue mixer... but I wanna go back to jogwheels...
So the idea was to stick on a controller which could lead me back to when I used cdjs... one for each side of the mixer. so the choice would be either the Reloop Contours or the Denon DN SC2000... the first ones do not have a pitch fader, which I was really looking into... the second one, besides the freezing problems and fader problems which should be solved by now with the firmware update (please can anyone confirm), have something I don't like, which is, as Exokinetic says in the quoted post, the "neverending" rotary clicking encoders for FX... coming from the X1, this is really a pain in the ass. These encoders force you to actually watch the screen, while with the "normal" rotary faders of the X1, you can just look at the controller... furthermore they cannot give the "continuous" feeling of the rotary faders which are installed on the x1... and this, I already know, is something I am going to terribly miss... especially for filters.

So Exokinetic, the question is, did you manage to substitute the encoders? is everything smooth now with the new firmware?
I was wondering if installing the new DJTT super knobs would be an option...

Please can anyone give me a feedback?

thanks

Luca
Lisa Lochotzki
I thought I said, but yeah the LED feedback seems to "fix" it. not cool in club environment at all
Faustino Stringfellow
not sure what to suggest now, other than the obvious (there's a thousand threads on optimisation, DPC spikes, etc.)

One thing to try and rule out though is the LED feedback to the SC's... in Traktor turn off the output in the controller settings.

If this is the issue, then at least we know where the problem is likely to be.
Lisa Lochotzki
1) Audio card have it's own dedicated USB. Always had, will always have.
2) All controller are connected to a powered usb hub (D-LINK H7 or Vantec)

Even if I use only a simple audio 2 + an SC2000, the problem may happen from time to time... not more often, not less.

Why so many? My RGAS problem
Faustino Stringfellow
I can't understand why he has six controllers connected .... i have more than enough control with an S4 on it's own .... the times i use the SC's it's with a analogue mixer, turntables and an ADJ8 ... I also have a miniature rig with faderfox DX's ..

three completely separate systems all with a purpose...

the idea of all those controllers connected baffles me , and as alientek quite rightly says ....how can he power them?

For me the SC's are about as perfect as you can get, zero problems now that the fader wobble has been addressed in the new FW.

I would strongly suggest it's the users setup that's at fault rather than the Denon SC2000.
Jack Narva
DJKeyWee

Not sure if it may help, but it may be that with all of those USB devices connected, there may not be enough power available on the USB bus. I did not see if you mentioned how many SEPERATE USB busses (or hubs) you are using for that many devices. I know the power requirements for each SC2000 is 500ma, each X1 is 400ma, and each LPD8 is 100ma. Not sure about the others but I believe those have their own power supplies anyways.

If a bus does not have enough power, it will stop providing power to a device (usually one that was plugged in first & already powered) to provide for the one that was plugged in most recent, or it may stop providing power over the bus completely. I have seen when a bus is at or near its limit, glitchy behaviour happen. USB audio is one of the first things to show it too.

Also, with all of those devices (especially the audio interfaces) stacked, bandwith on the bus can become an issue. Regardless of how fast (USB 2) it is, it still has a limit to the data it can transfer at one time. When it reaches its limit, it gets glitchy too. For example the audio (the constant) is playing and things are fine (but close to bandwith limit) you then hit a button on the SC2000 sending a command that added to everything else exceeds bandwith limit. While it recovers almost instantly, it is enough that the audio signal will be interupted and then pop or dropout.

Just a few things to believe about when using that many devices. Hope it helps. If not sorry to see the SC2000s not working for you. I have several controllers myself, and the SCs are rock solid for me, so I know they work well. Hope yours will too!

Peace...
Lisa Lochotzki
Oh boy, I know we're use to see noobs mistake but that's not my case. Thanks for your concern anyways.

What I say, whatever how many controller I attach to my setup, 6 being a really normal setup, and whatever the soundcard I use, I experiment this behaviour. If I remove the SC2000 from the equation, problem's gone.

Yes all legal stuf I have, and yes the latest TSP 2.1.1 version. Running Traktor since 3 years now, only this silly DENON give some weird thing.

Will check this "Send Monitor State" thing. Sure it's still there somewhere, not sure if it's in some mapping though. What's the purpose of this command BTW?!?

EDIT: Seems I have my answer about the send monitor state
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=30154
Donella Bentch
Maybe it
Faustino Stringfellow
let me get this right, you connect the following ....

4 x X1's (4 devices) + mixtrack + 4 x LPD8's (a further 4 making 9 controllers) + an APC80 (10 devices) , and your soundcard is AD2 and ADJ4 and ADJ8 .?

I don't believe that would ever work ....

However if it's a simple ADJ8 plus 2 controllers (like most of the world), disabling the output would turn off the LED's.

This WAS a problem back with TSP 1.2.7 and the use of the command "send monitor state", but since traktor 2 was launched it's gone away.

Without insinuating anything, have you got the latest legal version of trakor, your machine is optimised for audio, it exceeds the minimum specification for trakor 2 and realtime audio ... cleaned up your USB ports etc.
Lisa Lochotzki
Nope, not at all. Disable the output port solve the problem, disconnecting them solve the problem, it's not either a power issue... If I plug all those bellow
my 4 X1,
a mixtrack,
my 4 LPD8,
my APC 80
I don't have this issue. When I plug one or 2 DN-SC200 I have the issue... but erratic. Not on all tracks... still weird.

It's not a big POP, just annoying.

Further test I've made and problem is still there:
Internal/External Mixing
Audio 2/4/8 with latest or older driver
Played with all driver latency whatever else setting
With/Without USB HUB
still, problem is there... not constant, erratic, but there... and annoying.

Now that i've lost something like 24hours to test it, and wait almost a year for a simple firmware upgrade... I'll wait another year to get the next one. I don't care too much. It just annoy me...

Last thing I may try, buil my own TSI from scratch...

Next!
Faustino Stringfellow
the pops are coming from your Audio device, the Denon can't make noises, it's a controller. The pops are probably from having too low a latency in the audio panel. Traktor 2 is a resource hog, lesser computers will have problems it seems.

I have two connected with an Audio 8, using TCV on my laptop, i was using it last evening without problems. Audio 8DJ set at 44.1khz, 64, 1ms USB. I use the Denons for deck 3/4 control, effects and loops. TCV controls the loading on deck 1/2 (but it looks cooler than buttons).

Don't give up
Lisa Lochotzki
Yeah it fix some problem, but there's still some. I have some click/pop while loading track.... back on the shelf..
Faustino Stringfellow
the new FW fixes a few little problems, but it's not Traktor specific, it would also affect Serato, Torq or any other MIDI program.

There's also a traktor 2 .tsi in there as well, but it's optional
Erma Genta
Sorry for the started question but i have not update to traktor 2

do i have to download the new firmware ?
Homer Selgado
Interesting...

Me and a friend share a set, using them on two separate laptops.

On my friends laptop on the default 0 sensitivity they can be kind of irritating, sometimes they wont pick up touch info unless you are touching another part of the case with your other hand... Like you have to ground loop yourself to the metal body, its really weird. But turning the sensitivity up completely solved it *shrug*.

We are both on pretty comparable machines, both windows 7 pro 64 bit...

Odd, they work perfectly on the default sensitivity on my computer...
Faustino Stringfellow
Jog interval time

As far i understand it, it's the frequency that the jogs send their position information.

I understand it has been further editable due to problems with vista and slower machines, you will need to increase the interval time (believe of it like latency / buffering).

To edit it you need to follow the manual.

Adjusting the touch sense sensitivity
The unit can control the sensitivity of the touch sensor for the JOG
wheel in 9 steps (-4 to 0 to +4).
Gudrun Orlov
Hi all.

I've done a little work adding dimmed status for all leds, based on the newly released 2 decks mapping by Denon. No improved functions for now, like in the previous viper9711 version (track end, loop in, ...).
I have not the time to extensively test it, so there may still be some glitches.
Don't hesitate to give feed back !

Thanks.

@viper9711 : if you see this, could you explain me the way you do for loop in status on. I can't set it without loop out. Thanks.
Homer Selgado
So... does anyone know exactly what "Jog Interval Time" is referring too?

The new firmware apparently "Improved the function to choose" this "Jog Interval Time" in a range from 3ms to 20ms...

The reference to time leads me to believe it does not concern the jog pressure sensitivity setting, but rather to something else entirely...

I am just having trouble figuring out exactly what that something else is...

Any thoughts?

Other than that.... WOOT!

Awesomesauce!

And other ridiculous words of exclamation.
Faustino Stringfellow
c'mon guys we waited almost a year for this update, be grateful for what you have. At least the FW fixes the issues we've moaned about. The tsi is okay, the hotkey dimming was nice but it's not the end of the world is it? Some people want the world on a plate and do nothing to get it themselves.

At least I can start to use them again without fear of fader wobbles and skips. The T2 mapping isn't perfect ... i would like to see WHO they ask for development ideas, DJ's or techies in a lab ...
Lisa Lochotzki
I had dimed buttons in my previous mapping, it's possible. 50% or something, nothing you can control by traktor like the S4/X1 though... it would have been soooooooooooo neat
Emeline Coraggio
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
And it works really well! Pretty well documented too!

Thanks Denon!

I would have like to see some dimmed LEDs things though... oh well, time to do it by myself I guess
I remember reading from a denon rep that the LEDs are fixed voltage = no dimming :/

You guys should convince me to upgrade to traktor 2 lol
Lisa Lochotzki
And it works really well! Pretty well documented too!

Thanks Denon!

I would have like to see some dimmed LEDs things though... oh well, time to do it by myself I guess
Andreas Burchette
at last!!!
Terresa Ranganathan
No need for that, just logon to our site and stay updated:
http://www.dm-pro.eu/en/software/login/
Emanuel Manche
firmware denon sc 2000 link 1.25[ame="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HNS7HJKL"]MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service[/ame]
Branden Wentler
lolstep^^
Emanuel Manche
ja ja very good
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by mixman_dj
New firmware and new Traktor 2 tsi will be released within the next 2-weeks. (target)
Thanks for your support and hang in there...
I put this into google translate and this is what came out:

Emanuel Manche
finally a good answer and it seems safe to moderately serious denon

Re: hello denon

Sent: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm
To: mixman_dj

mixman_dj wrote:denon hi greetings from Ecuador look, all my life I purchased Denon products and never had been so many problems such as sc 2000 and worse than no solution given,
I would like you to tell me in the most restrained or not going to get a firmware has already been a year and nothing
in advance thank you very much

New firmware and new Traktor 2 tsi will be released within the next 2-weeks. (target)
Thanks for your support and hang in there...
Antonetta Wikel
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Oh neat, looks like the firmware update actually exists after all
I'll actually believe it when I see it, this has been the MO for months now.
Agustin Swithenbank
Originally Posted by viper9711
No Cue Points=Dimmer Mode, Active Cue Points=Bright Mode
Don

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy