Behringer CMD Series

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Behringer CMD SeriesReply
Behringer CMD Series
Posted on: 05.05.2012 by Pennie Cyriac
Hey DJTT community,

Does anyone know when the Behringer CMD series units are going to be available? I'm looking forward to trying these out.

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/01/2...s-on-a-budget/
Kiyoko Wellisch
Ooh er, I actually quite like that.
Kellie Myrum
Looks pretty cool to me even with out all that printings.

Untitled 90.jpg
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by djbuzzard
That is their saving grace but what do you do in the meantime while shipping it back and waiting for the replacement? Meanwhile, back at the ranch, mine started fading after minimal use (less than a week). I have other DJ gear that has never faded this much, this fast...
Could be worse, could be the NI Z2
Princess Scholin
Originally Posted by Aleeeeeks
Paint coming off is such a minuscule flaw though. And Behringer has a 3 Year warranty so all we gotta do is send it back and VOILA, new controller. Simple as that
That is their saving grace but what do you do in the meantime while shipping it back and waiting for the replacement? Meanwhile, back at the ranch, mine started fading after minimal use (less than a week). I have other DJ gear that has never faded this much, this fast...
Silva Oatis
Thanks for the dimensions. I am seriously considering getting one in the near future and may have a flight case that may hold it. Going to measure the case
Darrin Cervera
And after some weeks of post office delays and mass confusions, finally I have the CMD Studio 4A.

First impressions: It
Kellie Myrum
Javier Rowinsky
Paint coming off is such a minuscule flaw though. And Behringer has a 3 Year warranty so all we gotta do is send it back and VOILA, new controller. Simple as that
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I'd prefer the paint to come off my controllers... I hate being told what a button/slider/knob is meant to do
Shanelle Corre
Originally Posted by hellnegative
The 1st edition nanokontrollers from korg had the same issue. I didnt complain. I paid 60 bucks for it. As I wouldnt complain paying 100 for these. If it still functions flawlessly than paint just isnt a big gripe. If that were the case Id bitch about every pioneer mixer Ive stepped to thats been in a venue for longer than 6 months.
Each to his own. Atleast you stand by your nick
Emelina Chillson
The 1st edition nanokontrollers from korg had the same issue. I didnt complain. I paid 60 bucks for it. As I wouldnt complain paying 100 for these. If it still functions flawlessly than paint just isnt a big gripe. If that were the case Id bitch about every pioneer mixer Ive stepped to thats been in a venue for longer than 6 months.
Verlene Geevarghese
Qho really cares if it rubs off?
A lot of people would, especially if it's brand new. I can appreciate people who like worn looking gear, but I'd venture a guess more people don't than do.
Shanelle Corre
Well, it looks worn and damaged. Soon I can't even read what the words say on the knobs.
Emelina Chillson
Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
Why are people having that issue in the first place? They JUST released.
If there was a run of product where (for instance) the paint formulation was incorrect, this kind of thing can happen. We have our own factory, but we don't mix our own paint. It could also be caused by improper curing, or even the formulation of the poly bags the CMD controllers ship in. Right now it's too early to tell. But again, this is a warranty issue if you experience it.
Alena Horten
Originally Posted by nem0nic
If you have a unit that is showing excessive wear on the silkscreen, that's going to be a warranty issue. I would follow through with service. And make sure that you're registered your product, so there's no problem with your 3 year coverage.
Why are people having that issue in the first place? They JUST released.
Diogo Dj Dragão
If you have a unit that is showing excessive wear on the silkscreen, that's going to be a warranty issue. I would follow through with service. And make sure that you're registered your product, so there's no problem with your 3 year coverage.
Shanelle Corre
Will there be a replacement program for the poorly printed faceplates on the 4a? Unit swap offer? Anything?

I'm not using my unit much, but the printings looks like it's 5 years old.
Rose Schneeberg
Could anyone make a video/tutorial on how to set up the studio 4a's soundcard in traktor, it would be really helpfull!
Logan Lassey
The Micro is targeted more towards the consumer market, where there will be an expectation that the unit include jogs. That's the main reason the Micro has them.
Sure, I get this. Obviously you guys have to design products which you believe will sell to the target market so I understand the decision.

Where else are you going to find a $69 effects controller that gives you touch sensitive jogs, faders for dry/wet (and filter), and plenty of buttons to set modifiers for deck switching, etc?
This is true, although I can't imagine too many users doing this with it. That's gotta be an even smaller target market than DJs who don't want jog wheels.

Overall though nem0nic I gotta say congratulations to you and Behringer for these controllers - the quality and the price point is pretty amazing. I am sure I'll be picking up an MM-1 at some point based on my experience of using the Micro.
Kellie Myrum
When you stop believeing about the Micro in a traditional use case, it becomes very powerful.
And that stands for any controller out there. That's the power of controllerism.
Diogo Dj Dragão
One final thought: having used the mini jog wheels on the CMD Micro I have to say I really can't see the point of them.
The Micro is targeted more towards the consumer market, where there will be an expectation that the unit include jogs. That's the main reason the Micro has them. But believe about it like this. Where else are you going to find a $69 effects controller that gives you touch sensitive jogs, faders for dry/wet (and filter), and plenty of buttons to set modifiers for deck switching, etc?

When you stop believeing about the Micro in a traditional use case, it becomes very powerful.
Logan Lassey
Got my CMD Micro a few days ago...

First impressions were very good. Quality is top notch and the knobs and faders feel very good. Buttons are a little on the hard side but feel very durable. It is also quite weighty.

However, I believe I have decided its not right for me, for two reasons;

Firstly the size. It's actually a fair bit bigger than I expected. Width is 15 inches (not 14 as stated earlier in this thread) and its really deep. One of my main criteria for buying this was that it was really small and could be taken everywhere, but for me it is not small enough for that. At the size it is I would rather have the MM-1 which is not actually that much bigger but is way more functional (for me).

Secondly is software. I bought this to use with DJ Player on the iPad ( don't believe it works with any other iOS software). I had never mapped anything on DJ Player, and I had naively assumed it would be as powerful as Traktors mapping, which it is not. Hence I assumed I would be able to map something as a shift key and use each physical control for multiple things, but this can't be done. Also the browsing controls are not mappable in the app so they are not used.
Of course none of this is the controllers fault, but buyers who intend to use this on the iPad should be aware of these limitations.
It's worth noting that there has been mention on the DJ Player site of overhauled midi mapping later this year, so that may address these issues.

So anyway, personally I feel this controller is much better suited to use with a laptop and something like traktor.
For my ultra-compact iPad setup I believe I am going to use the DJ2GO instead which is smaller and has very similar functionality.

One final thought: having used the mini jog wheels on the CMD Micro I have to say I really can't see the point of them. It's not that they are bad quality it's just that I don't see the point of such small jogs. No one is going to a scratch on them and so their only use is scrubbing through tracks, which could be done with a much smaller encoder knob. Currently the jogs dominate much of the space on the unit but are pretty useless. I would like to see them replaced with an endless encoder for scrubbing and three knobs for EQing instead.
Kristofer Krauel
Just change the MF channel output to CH8 and you're golden. Of course this will only give you triggering, but should work fine.
Cool! I looked into mapping them myself but man it looks complicated. This is a God send!!! Cheers bro.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Am I right in believeing the DC-1 sends the same midi notes as the midifighter classic? So the button commands should work with my midifighter?
Just change the MF channel output to CH8 and you're golden. Of course this will only give you triggering, but should work fine.
Kristofer Krauel
This is just a heads up that we now have our Remix Deck mappings available for the DC-1 and the LC-1.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/DC-1...k_TSI_v1.0.zip
http://www.behringer.com/assets/LC-1...k_TSI_v1.0.zip
Am I right in believeing the DC-1 sends the same midi notes as the midifighter classic? So the button commands should work with my midifighter?
Diogo Dj Dragão
This is just a heads up that we now have our Remix Deck mappings available for the DC-1 and the LC-1.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/DC-1...k_TSI_v1.0.zip
http://www.behringer.com/assets/LC-1...k_TSI_v1.0.zip
Lucinda Keill
Virtual Dj mapping is up for the Studio 4a http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/1606..._Studio_4.html
Ricky Vansaders
Originally Posted by Stewe
No worries mate,

I'll look into this mappings and get back to you with more input if possible.

i believe the issue may be with the remote-scripts for ableton in general, because none of the "automatic" functions are working at all despite following the install instructions to a T. i'm wondering if it's because i'm using live 8?
Ricky Vansaders
No worries mate,

appreciate it, man!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by spencio
thanks again, but i don't believe it's possible to manually enter a CC value in ableton. basically you highlight a virtual function, then move a physical knob / button on the controller, and that is how the mapping is accomplished.

since there is no "button / knob" for the meter on the cmd-mm1, i have no idea how to assign that value to anything when midi-mapping.

thanks for the tips on the cc values of the output meters though!
No worries mate,

Ricky Vansaders
Nice!

Now it's been a while from last time I've mess with ableton but you should be able to manually type in the CC value at MIDI mappings tab. Enable midi, click on output meter and assign to any LED button. Go to mappings tab and try to re-assign the note manually from there.

Hopefully that help.

thanks again, but i don't believe it's possible to manually enter a CC value in ableton. basically you highlight a virtual function, then move a physical knob / button on the controller, and that is how the mapping is accomplished.

since there is no "button / knob" for the meter on the cmd-mm1, i have no idea how to assign that value to anything when midi-mapping.

thanks for the tips on the cc values of the output meters though!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by spencio
Right on, man.

one step closer!

my issue is that i'm using ableton, so i have no idea how to map a cc value that i can't click on while in midi-map mode. am i just missing something outrageously obvious?

thanks for your help!
Nice!

Now it's been a while from last time I've mess with ableton but you should be able to manually type in the CC value at MIDI mappings tab. Enable midi, click on output meter and assign to any LED button. Go to mappings tab and try to re-assign the note manually from there.

Hopefully that help.
Ricky Vansaders
Both LED strips have individual MIDI assignment. When mapping them make sure to assign in CH1.

Right on, man.

one step closer!

my issue is that i'm using ableton, so i have no idea how to map a cc value that i can't click on while in midi-map mode. am i just missing something outrageously obvious?

thanks for your help!
Kellie Myrum
Both LED strips have individual MIDI assignment. When mapping them make sure to assign in CH1.
Ricky Vansaders
CH1

Left: CC 80
Right: CC 81
can you kindly elaborate on that slightly, please?
Kellie Myrum
Kellie Myrum
CH1

Left: CC 80
Right: CC 81
Ricky Vansaders
Hi everyone,

quick question here. just got my CMD-mm1 in the mail, and i'm loving it for the most part. I'm using it primarily with ableton, and have the newest version of live 8 that exists, and have the Midi remote scripts installed in the correct place so that i can select the mm-1 as the control surface and input / output in the midi-sync tab, however, the VU meters do nothing, and none of the mappings that were supposed to be "automatic" do anything either.

it's not a huge deal for me b/c i mapped everything manually in about 5 minutes, but i would really like to get the VU meters working. any ideas?
Hipolito Scionti
MIDI range

min=0
max=1

max=2 (flash)
Nice one badman!! I liked your mapping btw

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS