Behringer CMD Series

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Behringer CMD SeriesReply
Behringer CMD Series
Posted on: 05.05.2012 by Pennie Cyriac
Hey DJTT community,

Does anyone know when the Behringer CMD series units are going to be available? I'm looking forward to trying these out.

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/01/2...s-on-a-budget/
Rose Schneeberg
Thanks Stewe
Rotary caps are fitting perfect. However the rubberized faders can become a bit loosed after some time playing with them. If you're looking into adding Chroma faders make sure to grab glow-in-dark ones which are fitting great.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Dj Didz
Do the chromas work well on the Studio 4a?
Rotary caps are fitting perfect. However the rubberized faders can become a bit loosed after some time playing with them. If you're looking into adding Chroma faders make sure to grab glow-in-dark ones which are fitting great.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by DarkFoxDK
Looks like the knobs are the same as on the modular ones, so I'd assume so.
Yup, they are.
Rose Schneeberg
Great! I'll go get me some
Looks like the knobs are the same as on the modular ones, so I'd assume so
Mohammad Bouquin
Originally Posted by Dj Didz
Looks like the knobs are the same as on the modular ones, so I'd assume so.
Rose Schneeberg
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by DarkFoxDK
Well, I have pretty slim fingers, and I could just have one on the cue mix knob, the rest I wouldn't be touching much during a set any way.
You're all set then. Grab it and love it!
Mohammad Bouquin
Originally Posted by Stewe
P231013_00.15_[01].jpg

I would not recommend super knobs on MM-1 for a fatty finger dude. There's a 1.2 cm space in between them.
Well, I have pretty slim fingers, and I could just have one on the cue mix knob, the rest I wouldn't be touching much during a set any way.
Kellie Myrum
P231013_00.15_[01].jpg

I would not recommend super knobs on MM-1 for a fatty finger dude. There's a 1.2 cm space in between them.
Mohammad Bouquin
Originally Posted by Stewe
This came in mail today. The Chroma Caps fit CMD perfectly
Do they fit the four knobs at the top of the CMD MM-1 as well? I use the cue mix knob quite a lot, and the standard knobs look a bit fiddly.

Also, how is the spacing between the super knobs?
Silva Oatis
The CMD studio 4a looks solid. Price and warranty is selling me on getting one. Well thought out design
Belen Wermes
Originally Posted by trz303
BCF-2000 are nice but too big.
Have 3xMM-1 linked together is a pretty compact rig for 12 channels midi mixer and 5x knobs for each channel.
Too bad that Ableton is not as easy as Traktor to implement in a template (hard to handle stuff like vu-meter, modifiers etc...)

does anyone have a 3x MM-1 setup working? that sounds amazing if it works

i've been looking at the VCM-600 as a replacement for my UC-33e, but these CMD MM-1s look really cool too - especially if you can link a bunch of them together.
Diogo Dj Dragão
DPC Latency checker should not be used on Windows 8 : it gives incorrect results.
Again, DPCLC is fine - even in Windows 8 - for determining if an audio dropout corresponds to a DPC spike. Using it in this way gets other things (like incorrect ASIO buffer settings) out of the way. For this application we're not concerned with the baseline latency measurement. The user already owns their computer by the time they install our driver. We only care if audio dropouts the user experiences correspond to DPC spikes.

If you're looking for a tool to determine if a new computer is going to be a good one to run real time audio software, then LatencyMon is the right choice. In that application, the baseline is what you care about.
Lisa Ellerby
DPC Latency checker should not be used on Windows 8 : it gives incorrect results.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by makar1
Why not hand out Apple stickers to all those users having trouble then? Are you implying that you know better than your hero...
LatencyMon is fantastic for drilling down into specific processes and getting to the bottom of DPC issues, but DPCLC is perfect for clueless users that need a generic visual indication of their problem. And that represents the majority of users that contact support regarding audio dropouts. If we determine that it is likely a DPC issue, at that point we would use something like LatencyMon or Xperf.
Lucinda Keill
First of all I'm not having the problem anymore and most of the people I advised have had success with my recommendations. With more than half of the masses using pc's let's try and figure out whats causing the problem. I'm a huge supporter of the CMD line and want to help as many fellow users I can. Also thanks for the LatencyMon recommendation, it is more detailed.
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by KingCast
I'm a PC user well because I know better and hey I like Unix based OS' as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna pay 40% more for a computer because it has a picture of a fruit on it.
Why not hand out Apple stickers to all those users having trouble then? Are you implying that you know better than your hero?

LatencyMon provides more detail on what exactly is causing DPC problems, whereas DPC Latency Checker may have problems with Windows 8:

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
Lucinda Keill
Originally Posted by nem0nic
To be clear, you've been at the receiving end of a lot of emails about a problem with user's Windows computers. There is nothing about the Studio 4a that causes DPC spikes. Turning off networking (especially wireless networking) has been a common fix for Windows audio dropouts for almost 10 years. I remember writing online guides for users of the original Final Scratch and the 1.1 software update.

EDIT - CMD Fun Fact #1
The Studio 4a ASIO driver was written by Thesycon, the same company that makes that DPC Latency Checker app you're using. When writing the driver spec, we stipulated that it be bundled into the 4a driver as well, to help users troubleshoot their own computers.
Correct this is a PC / Windows problem.

I'm a PC user well because I know better and hey I like Unix based OS' as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna pay 40% more for a computer because it has a picture of a fruit on it. So for the rest of us that either can't afford or just simply don't want a mac I would like to be able to help.

Absolutely no offence to you nem0nic, you know you're my hero!
Diogo Dj Dragão
Hey guys, I've been on the receiving end of allot of emails looking for advice on what seems to be a popular problem with the Studio 4a.
To be clear, you've been at the receiving end of a lot of emails about a problem with user's Windows computers. There is nothing about the Studio 4a that causes DPC spikes. Turning off networking (especially wireless networking) has been a common fix for Windows audio dropouts for almost 10 years. I remember writing online guides for users of the original Final Scratch and the 1.1 software update.

EDIT - CMD Fun Fact #1
The Studio 4a ASIO driver was written by Thesycon, the same company that makes that DPC Latency Checker app you're using. When writing the driver spec, we stipulated that it be bundled into the 4a driver as well, to help users troubleshoot their own computers.
Lucinda Keill
Hey guys, I've been on the receiving end of allot of emails looking for advice on what seems to be a popular problem with the Studio 4a. I myself had it when I first got my controller but soon after found a quick fix. So for me, (First with Virtual DJ) my problem was that I would start my set and about a minute in the audio would cut out and the controller would become semi unresponsive. The faders would still move in the software but that was about it. I have since been told that similar frustrated users who ran into this problem could jump start there audio again by going into config > sound setup and re- apply there settings and the audio would start working again for a short period of time before going out again.

So I ran the latency checker and I realized my network was the culprit. My network is huge and allot of data was being shuffled all over the place, so all I had to do was disable my network and I haven't had a problem since. When I have a gig I don't have internet anyway so it's only a problem when I'm practicing home.

Additionally all these users who've had these problems myself included would have a similar problem in the Deckadance software as well. During sets the audio would drop out for ,what I would say is, about a half a second randomly from time to time.

Like I mentioned earlier, once I realized my network was interfering, disabling it has since remedied all these problems at least for me.

I also make sure that these troubled users are working on machines that can handle the software and controller and in most cases they can but because I also had this problem I'll list all my relevant specs to exclude some of the usual suspects:

My rig:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz Processor
Samsung 840 Series SSD
2 Radeon HD 6570 running in crossfire
8 GB RAM
Running Windows 8 Pro OS
Virtual DJ 7.4 Pro (Authentic)
Deckadance 2.24 (Authentic)

Now hopefully someone has some useful input on how to aid users on how to fix these problems but in the meantime I'll post what I'm pretty much emailing all of them to help them out. This is more relevant to VDJ but if it works it solves both platforms problems. (in most cases it works):

Ok first things first. download and install the "CMD_Studio4A_ASIO_Driver.zip" here http://www.behringer.com/assets/CMD_...SIO_Driver.zip
Next match my settings here

Next, run the cmd studio 4a latency checker, in most cases it will be a hidden icon on your task bar (bottom right for windows) it will be the CMD Studio 4a Control Panel icon, open that up and there should be a tab called tools and there you will find the latency checker.

In the latency checker, green is good, yellow is ok and red is bad. It will tell you in that message box under the bar graph, something like "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs" if your system is ok, or "some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time" if your system is bad. If you're seeing that second message then you'll know you have to disable something.

First try disabling your network and restarting your dj software to see if that fixed the problem like it did in my case.

If disabling the network didn't help try and disable some devices one at a time and see if by disabling any one device if it will bring your latency checker to just green and yellow bars.

Hopefully that helped
As usual any help is greatly appreciated,
Steve
Lucinda Keill
Well final email just came in and like I thought the first thing I told him to do is the one he ignored, so yes he forgot to put the definition xml in with devices and the map xml in with the mappers, so problem solved. Thanks for everyone's help on this!
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
The download comes with an installer, you just need to click it to run and it will install the files in the correct folder. I'd say he is using a pirated version. But it's not really any skin off my nose tbh.. if they like it eventually they will buy it or be limited to not getting any good downloads or intensive support on the VDJ Forum, usually they're met with the attitude "register first and then I'll tell you" by some of the community members. I pretty much answer any question where it looks like an attempt has been made to understand the problem, but I love challenging script or skinning question and will answer them everytime... /rant

But yes, I believe that is the location on mac, although I don't use mac either, It shouldn't be hard to locate the VDJ folder though, from there it's just the devices and mappers folders as you have shown him.
Lucinda Keill
His latest response:
hi steve,yes i go to that section but it say keyboard only and when i press scan it comeout with midi so i choice that midi but still my controller not responding. pls advive thks
In which I responded the following:
You have to put "BeCMDSTUDIO" file goes into the Device folder.

MAC HD/USER/MY DOCUMENTS/VIRTUALDJ/DEVICES paste the "BeCMDSTUDIO".xml here, this where the definition files are installed.

& the "Behringer CMD Studio 4A mapping" in the mappers folder.

MAC HD/USER/MY DOCUMENTS/VIRTUALDJ/MAPPERS paste the "Behringer CMD Studio 4A mapping" xml here, this where the mappers files are installed.
Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that, like I said I have very limited knowledge of macs. As far as if he's using a valid copy of VDJ, he's been dodging the question so I'm assuming it's a pirated copy. I should probably stop helping him, but so many people reach out to me because of my youtube review that I feel bad not helping a little like so many people have done for me.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
That's what I would have said ;-) It won't get built into the software until a new release from atomix comes out.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Ok details are coming in slowly but this was his last response:

I'm now asking him if he sees the CMD studio 4a map under config >mappers
While you're at it, ask him if he's using a legit copy of VDJ. If so, he'll have no problem grabbing the mapper off the community s.
Lucinda Keill
Ok details are coming in slowly but this was his last response:
Hi Steve, thank u for quick reply. Im using macbook pro 10.8. When im using deckadance my cmd controller works fine, only on VDJ pro 7 version mac not working. It's show only studio 4a in config audio, but my cmd controller not responding,pls advise. Thks steve.
I'm now asking him if he sees the CMD studio 4a map under config >mappers
Lucinda Keill
I'm waiting to hear back from him, I emailed him a whole laundry list of questions so we would know how to proceed, thanks for responding!
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
can you define "can't get it to work". Do you mean it won't connect the midi to the software, or the sound is not working? or something different
Lucinda Keill
Hey guys, are there any Studio 4a users out there that use VDJ on a mac? I got a user that can't get his Studio 4a to work and I have very limited knowledge of macs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pic of his audio set up

20130928_164421_zpsd2b13560.jpg
Lisa Ellerby
Originally Posted by synthet1c
your probably better off getting a behringer bcf-2000 for using in ableton... it has 8 motorised faders and 8 led bar encoders, that means that if you change the value on screen or change the parameter the fader is controlling the bcf will move the position to match. A very handy feature when mastering multiple tracks or eq bands.
BCF-2000 are nice but too big.
Have 3xMM-1 linked together is a pretty compact rig for 12 channels midi mixer and 5x knobs for each channel.
Too bad that Ableton is not as easy as Traktor to implement in a template (hard to handle stuff like vu-meter, modifiers etc...)
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
your probably better off getting a behringer bcf-2000 for using in ableton... it has 8 motorised faders and 8 led bar encoders, that means that if you change the value on screen or change the parameter the fader is controlling the bcf will move the position to match. A very handy feature when mastering multiple tracks or eq bands.
Lisa Ellerby
Sweet ... my Ableton will enjoy it for sure ;-)
Diogo Dj Dragão
Well it means that it's probably impossible to have 2-3 MM-1 working together to have 8-12 channel mixer in Ableton as far as they are all on the same channel .... ??

Anyone tried ?
Every MIDI controller ships with a default MIDI channel set. In this way, the MM-1 is the same as every other MIDI controller ever made. And like most other MIDI controllers, it's possible to change the MIDI channel a CMD controller operates on.
Lisa Ellerby
MM-1 is CH5 by default for the shipping models. Here is the list...

- PL-1 -> midi output channels 1,2,3,4
- MM-1 -> midi output channel 5
- DC-1 -> midi output channel 6
- DV-1 -> midi output channel 7
- LC-1 -> midi output channel 8

Well it means that it's probably impossible to have 2-3 MM-1 working together to have 8-12 channel mixer in Ableton as far as they are all on the same channel .... ??

Anyone tried ?
Lucinda Keill
Here are all of the downloadable files for all of the CMD controllers...

http://community .behringer.com/showthrea...loadable-files

Thanks Craig, I should have seen that.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Unique Squared breaks down the DC-1 with Ableton Live + video...

http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/pr...h-andrew-luck/
Diogo Dj Dragão
Hey nemonic, any chance you can put up a link for the ASIO driver, my buddy can't download it from the Behringer website. Thanks for any help!
Here are all of the downloadable files for all of the CMD controllers...

http://community .behringer.com/showthrea...loadable-files
Kiyoko Wellisch
Hey nemonic, any chance you can put up a link for the ASIO driver, my buddy can't download it from the Behringer website. Thanks for any help!
I forgot that that 4A exits and got really confused why there's an ASIO driver on the downloads page for some class compliant midi controllers :P
Lucinda Keill
Lucinda Keill
Originally Posted by silky303
Cool . I will grab those maps and tweak them. I am hoping users won't miss the keylock and cue delete functions on those buttons. I am turning them into shift buttons.
I'm not much of a Traktor guy but it'll be cool to see what you come up with.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy