Behringer CMD Series

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Behringer CMD SeriesReply
Behringer CMD Series
Posted on: 05.05.2012 by Pennie Cyriac
Hey DJTT community,

Does anyone know when the Behringer CMD series units are going to be available? I'm looking forward to trying these out.

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/01/2...s-on-a-budget/
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by Paco Loco
If this is true then how is it possible to use an iPad in conjunction with a USB soundcard whilst at the same time powering/charging the iPad? (without using a Kontrol Z1)
You cannot.

If you have to use the Camera Connection Kit to pass Audio from the iPad (which you do with all soundcards expect the Z1 and specific iPad cards like the Apogee Duet for Mac) it is impossible to to power the iPad.

The iPad cannot be powered via the CCK.
Latashia Belau
Been spending a couple of hours getting my Traktor mapping done.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
This is what I got so far.

I wanted to make the DC1 like a Kontrol Z1, but apparently that's not possible due to mapping limitations. So believe I'll be skipping remix decks until full mapping for them is possible, and just use the DC1 for extra effects. The idea was to switch between remix decks and extra effects with the 'FX mode' button at the top, but for now I've only mapped the effects.

I'm quite happy with the feel of the controllers. They sure feel better than their price would lead you to believe.

Only too bad a few buttons don't seem to have controllable LEDs (like the left/right buttons on the MM1 and the deck switch on the PL1 for example). And my only other negative comment would be that the 'zero click' in the MM1 knobs is quite light.

Mapping the encoders on the PL1 was a challenge too, because I wanted half of them (FX) to be global and half of them (loop, beatjump, gain, key) to be dependent on the chosen deck.
But I managed to solve the problem with a modifier. The deck switch button sends out a midi signal, so I change a modifier based on that signal.

If anyone is interested I can share my mappings, but I doubt they're ideal for most people, I have some weird mapping habits from my previous controllers .
Logan Lassey
Originally Posted by makar1
A typical powered hub will likely not charge an Ipad as USB does not usually output power from a Type B socket.
If this is true then how is it possible to use an iPad in conjunction with a USB soundcard whilst at the same time powering/charging the iPad? (without using a Kontrol Z1)
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Paco Loco
I see what you mean.

But also I don't see why this wouldn't work if it works on stand-alone powered hubs (which I believe it does?).

Either way, would really appreciate you giving it a try. Thanks.
A typical powered hub will likely not charge an Ipad as USB does not usually output power from a Type B socket.
Logan Lassey
The Z1 charges the Ipad via a Type B socket
The fact that the Z1 charges the iPad is by far the most exciting feature it has. The rest of it is a bit "meh".
Logan Lassey
Originally Posted by nem0nic
When you connect the MM-1 to the iPad, you're connecting via the USB B type plug (the one that would typically go to your computer) - NOT one of the "powered" ports.
I see what you mean.

But also I don't see why this wouldn't work if it works on stand-alone powered hubs (which I believe it does?).

Either way, would really appreciate you giving it a try. Thanks.
Alphonso Deitchman
The Z1 charges the Ipad via a Type B socket, but this is of course by specific design rather than what you'd expect from the standard USB spec. From reading the brochure the MM-1 does seem to have the necessary power supply specs for Ipad charging at least.
Lucinda Keill
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
How would you say the sound quality is?
So far I've only tried it on my home system, and it sounds great. I can only compare it to both the mixtrack pro and hercules rmx and I gotta say I the Studio 4a blows them both out of the water. I'll be hooking it up to my big pa system this weekend so I'll have a better answer for you then.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Thomann is in Germany... I'm in England... they're different countries
Thomann is the biggest M.I. retailer in the UK, but I totally get that you wanted to get your hands on them first.

I am hoping it will since the MM-1 is a powered USB hub as well, but I am not sure.
I haven't tested that yet, but I don't believe it's going to work that way. It makes sense if you believe about it. When you connect the MM-1 to the iPad, you're connecting via the USB B type plug (the one that would typically go to your computer) - NOT one of the "powered" ports.

The iPad also has some special power requirements that are outside of the standard USB power specification. But I'll try this at work and see if maybe...

(but I don't believe so)
Logan Lassey
Hi all.
I have a quick question on the MM-1 which I can't seem to find an answer to...
I want to use the MM-1 with the DJ Player app on my iPad. According to the DJ Player website it is compatible.
However, will it power my ipad if the MM-1 is plugged into the mains?
I am hoping it will since the MM-1 is a powered USB hub as well, but I am not sure.
Anyone tried it?
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
Apparently it uses the same interface as the BCD3000
Hipolito Scionti
Thomann has the CMD controllers right now.
Thomann is in Germany... I'm in England... they're different countries

Wanted to go in store and see em.

Might just order one of Thomann tho
Salome Latzer
Originally Posted by Drozas
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...m2dvCEhcG6L36X
Videos of how they work, interesting if you are believeing of buying one
Sorry I'm an idiot, I posted a song instead of the intended playlist (didnt realized because my post need mod approval) now its fixed
Alena Horten
Lucinda Keill
Made a quick review video, enjoy!

Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Don't believe they are out in the UK... believeing I want 1 x PL1 for sure... maybe 2.

Any idea when they will be in the UK? At like decks.co.uk or westenddj etc?
Thomann has the CMD controllers right now.
Javier Rowinsky
did a quick lil simple unboxing video for the studio 4A

shot it with a go pro really quick and chopped it up in 20 min.
going to do a proper review when i get back from edc
Hipolito Scionti
Don't believe they are out in the UK... believeing I want 1 x PL1 for sure... maybe 2.

Any idea when they will be in the UK? At like decks.co.uk or westenddj etc?
Diogo Dj Dragão
Seems like the unit is picking the USB voltage or something
That's probably what's happening.
Javier Rowinsky
messagepart.jpeg

it haaasss arrived!
Kellie Myrum
My MM1 is starting to give me a slight headache, don't know why this is happening but here it goes:

I've experienced this a couple of times before during a time I first got it but now it's doing it every time I pull out the power. This LEDs just stay at dimmed state no matter what until I pull out the USB connection...

Seems like the unit is picking the USB voltage or something
Latashia Belau
I just got mine in the mail today.
(MM1, DC1, 2xPL1)

Has anyone been able to figure out how to make the 8 top encoders on the PL1 dependent on the deck switch?

nem0nic responded to a tweet before I ordered them that this would be possible, but I'm getting Ch1 CC0-7 on each selected deck. All the other buttons change from Ch1 to Ch4.

The 'full manual on behringer.com' that's printed on the documentation in the box doesn't seem to be true at this point, so no luck there .
Diogo Dj Dragão
Official mapping for VDJ are currently being developed by cstoll and are pretty sweet so far. They will be out very soon by the looks of it. CMD controllers will be officially supported by Deckadance, FL Studio, VDJ, and Mixvibes Cross in the very near future. Traktor TSIs are available on the Behringer website. We expect to have Ableton Live scripts for the MM-1 / DC-1 / LC-1 available next week (the beta versions are pretty sweet). And there will be more applications supported soon.
Lucinda Keill
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
Darn, I believe that's the only CMD controller I 'dont' have.

The syntax [ deck_left ] at the start of the line usually works.
I got most of the mixer section mapped out but I won't be able to look at it till later. I'll see what I have done.

Member of the community called "synthet1c" is the MAN with VDJ syntax. He got me up and running with VDJ just a few months back.
Good tips, thanks for the advice!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Darn, I believe that's the only CMD controller I 'dont' have.

The syntax [ deck_left ] at the start of the line usually works.
I got most of the mixer section mapped out but I won't be able to look at it till later. I'll see what I have done.

Member of the community called "synthet1c" is the MAN with VDJ syntax. He got me up and running with VDJ just a few months back.
Lucinda Keill
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
I am for the Micro but it is a very personally specific mapping for karaoke usage. It would be of little use to anyone else.

Which CMD controller are you mapping?
The studio 4a, it's buggy though. I mean I only started a couple hours ago but Im running into problems asigning buttons, faders, knobs to there designated sides. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Plus for some reason the pitch fader is inverted, positive values on the controller end up controlling negative values in the software and vice versa. I havn't started controller definition files yet, hopefully later toevening .
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by KingCast
Anyone else working on a mapping and/or Controller Definition files for VDJ?
I am for the Micro but it is a very personally specific mapping for karaoke usage. It would be of little use to anyone else.

Which CMD controller are you mapping?
Lucinda Keill
Anyone else working on a mapping and/or Controller Definition files for VDJ?
Javier Rowinsky
Originally Posted by BCC
Does anyone know how to implement two CMD PL-1's in a setup.

When connecting mine only the one that gets connected first seems to work and the other just lights up in orange but without any function.

Attachment 18491
Wooowwww what a set up
Diogo Dj Dragão
Originally Posted by BCC

When connecting mine only the one that gets connected first seems to work and the other just lights up in orange but without any function.
There's no problem running multiple CMD controllers in OSX, so I'm going to guess that this is an issue with how you've set them up in Traktor. When you loaded the TSI, did you make sure to select the proper device (instead of ALL PORTS)?
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Hmm - I have 2.5 on my macbook & 2.6 on my desktop and I can exchange tsi's no problem.... weird
Is that with any of the CMD range though?
Originally Posted by Hartger
Same here with the DV-1 mapping. Had to update to 2.6 to get it to work.
Interesting. ???
Claudette Darnell

2013-06-20 22.38.41 HDR.jpg
Alton Kronberger
I have 2.5 still in my backups folder. Loading the 4A mapping does not bring up an error, but the Assignment Table is empty.
Same here with the DV-1 mapping. Had to update to 2.6 to get it to work.
Janyce Henningson
Hmm - I have 2.5 on my macbook & 2.6 on my desktop and I can exchange tsi's no problem.... weird
nayit ruiz jaramillo
That's odd. I'll check with the user to see if he has any more information.
I have advised that he update to 2.6 anyway.
Alphonso Deitchman
I have 2.5 still in my backups folder. Loading the 4A mapping does not bring up an error, but the Assignment Table is empty.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Well, I did them in the latest version of Traktor, but I haven't tested to see how backwards compatible they are.
Hmm, he is getting this "The TSI-Configuration is not supported by this version of Traktor" which suggests it is not backward compatible.
I don't have an install of 2.5 to test it on.
Katelyn Hoctor
Originally Posted by MaxOne
Are the pl1 platter controllers out yet anywhere in the uk?
Thomann have the in stock as far as their website states and seam to also offer the best price compared to other places which are yet to of received them (maybe down to thomman being based in Germany)
Hipolito Scionti
Are the pl1 platter controllers out yet anywhere in the uk?
Javier Rowinsky
Can't decide what I'm more excited about....cmd4a coming in tomorrow or EDC this weekend!!!

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy