Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Chasidy Heckenbach
sounds like mixer *is* a soundcard but only has one stereo pair, i.e: u can't route audio into each of the inputs separately. i guess it's designed to be used more as an old school analog mixer and the usb connection is an after thought just so u can use it as a 2 channel soundcard if needed.

since your mixtrack pro has 4 audio channels you can select those for decks A+B and connect those to the analog input of your mixer. i don't know if the mixtrack has 4 sets of phono outputs or whether you'll have to go from a mini jack from the headphone output for one pair - and how much that may affect audio quality or not. worth a shot tho.

so then you wouldn't be using any usb connection for your mixer at all
Marquetta Choisser
I selected ext mixing. Even if it shows in traktor that the mixer is an audio device I can select just "speakers left and speakers right" .. and when I had the mixtrack pro controller I could select mixtrack pro speakears 0, 1, 2 and 3. so now I don't really know if it the mixer really has a built in soundcard. That still it is not the real major problem because I selected external mixer and I "played" with the crossfaders, bass, treble and so on and it does not work.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by paultrifan
i asked recently the guys from numark and they said my mixer is not a midi controller and won't send any midi information so then, can your method still work? Because I really hope your method still works
yes - as this has nothing to do with midi - so long as when you select the mixer as your audio device it shows u have 8 output choices - two for each stereo pair input to the mixer

select external mixing in traktor + select the mixer as audio device and output routing + hide the mixer controls from the traktor display (since you won't be using them) + select headphone cue'ing from the controls on your mixer

then just use the levels + eq etc on the mixer itself - no need for any midi
Marquetta Choisser
i asked recently the guys from numark and they said my mixer is not a midi controller and won't send any midi information so then, can your method still work? Because I really hope your method still works
Chasidy Heckenbach
your mixer *is* your soundcard? then just select the mixer as your audio device and use traktor in external mixing mode. you dont need the internal volumes+eq in traktor if you have the external mixer. the website only says "USB computer connection for playing and recording with Mac or PC" but i presume if it's a 4 channel mixer it must show up as an audio device with 4 stereo outputs? then in external mixing mode u just select one for each deck. you wont see any controls changing in traktors mixer but u don't need them to as you're doing it in your own mixer. in the "Mixer" area of prefs u can disable "EQ + Fader" and also "Crossfader" which is how i have it setup as i do all that in ableton live in much the same way you'll be doing it in your mixer. it also gives more space for displaying the decks in traktor and i prefer it that way.
Marquetta Choisser
there is just one soundcard in the mixer. I don't believe I can use my ndx 800 as soundcards.
Chasidy Heckenbach
so long as your soundcard has two stereo outs then select "external mixing mode" in traktor, route each deck to the outs and wire them into channels A and B of your mixer. an Audio2 card should be enough for this (and cheap) if you don't have that many outputs atm. you didn't say what sound card you were using. or can the ndx 800's be used as soundcards?
Marquetta Choisser
I found out. The problem is that my mixer (numark m6 usb) does not send midi information so that's why I can not use it.. Is there any method to use my players together with this mixer on some kind of mixing software? [the players are working perfectly on traktor but the mixer won't work on any controller i guess]
Chasidy Heckenbach
you can't create (or use) custom mappings in traktor LE as far as i know (tho i've never used it personally). traktor just comes i believe with the setup wizard and ships with support for the controllers it came with. traktor pro is very cheap these days tho.
Marquetta Choisser
Hi guys. I have 2 NDX 800s (from numark, mixer also from there) and I want to map my M6 usb mixer but just won't work and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to map it so i can mix. The sound from the mixer soundcard can be heard, master also works but in traktor won't show the master fader going up or down. and if I move the bass mid or treble in traktor they won't move, they're not mapped. My players are working. I also have the LE version of traktor. Can you help me please? I don't know what to do, really
Chasidy Heckenbach
it is a pain in the ass for some reason they locked the xml down with traktor pro - before that u could edit the xml file so just do search+replaces and stuff. if you're on mac tho u have to hope that xtrememapping adds that feature in sometime. apparently they had thought about it but figured it would be too dangerous as people might edit more than they had intended.
Maisha Lemunyon
Thanks Z, that's a real bummer as I despise repetition and tedious tasks.

I wish wish wish we could modify maps in Excel or another streamlining software. How nice would that be...
Chasidy Heckenbach
nope - only one at a time... same goes for xtrememapping too - but there's more chance of them adding the feature in than NI imho
Maisha Lemunyon
Is there a way to modify MULTIPLE Ins/Outs at the same time?

Example: if you want to change a number of "delete hotcue" In's to Assignment: Deck A

Thanks.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by andrejgoshev
i want to map it
then that's the midi control u want i believe. i presume it acts on the 'active cue' the same way the gui does. so first select the cue (via your hotcue midi button or whatever) and then map some controls of "add in > cue/loops > cue type" with type=button, mode=direct for each type u want. or u could just have two that change thru each type or even map a fader.
America Caffrey
i want to map it
Chasidy Heckenbach
open the cue/beatgrid options below your deck, click on the cue u want to change and use the pulldown to the left of the trash icon. you'll see the options in there that u want. or do u want to midi map this? for that i believe you'll want "add in > cue/loops > cue type"
America Caffrey
nobody ?
America Caffrey
a bit of a nooby question, how to map: My first hotcue to be a "beatgrid" and second a "load marker" ?
Thanks
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Phi
No you shouldn't need another program besides Traktor. Just set a modifier on the knob with the type "fader/knob" and mess with the rotary sensitivity until it smoothly scrolls the modifier value between 0-7, Then just set up your FX to load and turn on (and off) at the different modifier values. If you need more than the 8bit depth of just one modifier, simply create a "ratcheting modifier system" to give you 16-64bits with two modifiers.
interesting idea. just had a quick go and have it ranging between 0 and 7. *sometimes* it jumps to 5 when it's at 0, could be a bad pot on my lpd8 but it doesn't then jump back to 0. this is with accel at 0% and sensitivity at 24% for a normal 7bit midi pot.

mine is hitting a value of 3 at zero ish with these settings, not bang on, but so long as u don't mind the mid point +/- quite a bit it could def be used for some things. what would ofc be more of a pain is assigning params to 0-50% and 50-100% as you'd have to add one control for every modifier value you need.

as for creating a higher resolution using a cascading set of modifiers - that's really not a great idea - i suspect u just mentioned it because it was technically feasible even if not at all practical. for one thing since u can't add ranges as modifier conditions this would make u have to add a whole heap of extra controls.

Originally Posted by Phi
Yeah, Traktor makes this nice and easy to do with modifiers.
this is totally untrue ofc... if they wanted to make it *easy* they would just have allowed controller ranges for a fader and also condition ranges - which would be rather neat and maybe they'll add to a future version.

i do like your idea for defining an action at 50% for a fader/pot that u can't otherwise do without the missing controller range.

once u move to using a sep app tho to do the routing between your controller and app(s) whether bomes or midimasher etc then the options u have for mapping really expand... and u can try out different ideas without spending a long time in traktors controller manager.

here's a simple example that connects an lpd8. adds a new message at 0% that is off otherwise, another at 50% and then a new fader that ranges from 0 to 127 in the lower 50% of the physical fader. a lot of extra functionality for not very much effort.

Code:
open_midi_device("lpd8", "lpd8", "LPD8", "LPD8")

superfader("lpd8", "fader5", 0, 0, 0, "fader5a", ON, ON)
superfader("lpd8", "fader5", 0, 63, 64, "fader5b", ON, ON)
superfader("lpd8", "fader5", 0, 0, 63, "fader5c", OFF, ON)
Angella Mosiniak
Originally Posted by MoonUn1t
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to create a macro knob where one effect kicks in at the dry position, another effect kicks in say 50% wet, and then a final to kick in at 100%? sorry if this is a stupid question im on my break at work right now and I thought I'd ask about how to do something like that before I try it at home toevening
Yeah, Traktor makes this nice and easy to do with modifiers.

Originally Posted by zestoi
easy to do with midimasher sitting between your controller(s) and traktor. there's no "controller range" option afaik for type=fader in traktor.
No you shouldn't need another program besides Traktor. Just set a modifier on the knob with the type "fader/knob" and mess with the rotary sensitivity until it smoothly scrolls the modifier value between 0-7, Then just set up your FX to load and turn on (and off) at the different modifier values. If you need more than the 8bit depth of just one modifier, simply create a "ratcheting modifier system" to give you 16-64bits with two modifiers.
Chasidy Heckenbach
easy to do with midimasher sitting between your controller(s) and traktor. there's no "controller range" option afaik for type=fader in traktor. if it had that, like it does out "out" types then u would be able to do it just within traktor i presume. u can use midimasher to just pass all data between traktor and your controller unmodified and just add in extra midi messages if needed for stuff like this

edit: midimasher does require some coding skills tho - if only simple ones. this config is one i did the other day for someone to fix the lpd8 issue of turning pad led's off when u want them kept on... http://midimasher.djism.com/lua/config/lpd8_ledfix.lua but apart from that just routes midi between the lpd8 and vdj.
Era Roka
Originally Posted by MoonUn1t
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to create a macro knob where one effect kicks in at the dry position, another effect kicks in say 50% wet, and then a final to kick in at 100%? sorry if this is a stupid question im on my break at work right now and I thought I'd ask about how to do something like that before I try it at home toevening
I don't believe so, but i've seen someone doing it with a piece of software between traktor and the midi contoller
Yuki Homeyer
Rosamaria Wehrung
It doesn't matter; the hardware or driver behaviour is in the way of keeping the backlight on after pressing the pad.
Hortencia Kasselman
Ehm. You did not choose interaction mode toggle, but trigger. Possibly thats the point!?
Rosamaria Wehrung
I wanted to map my AKAI MPK mini's drumpads to act as a loop cutter and keep the pad lighted while the loop was active. This turned out to be less straight forward than it sounds. The biggest hurdle was the hardware feature that the pads backlight would switch on when pressed, but also switch off when released. This meant being able to light an unpressed pad easily, but not to keep the pressed pad lighted. It would only flicker when trying to switch it on. Also, the invert function directly on the output message did not work.

Because the whole process of getting this to work caused such a headache, I decided to share it with you

Midi map settings:
First map the desired pad to toggle the loop. I use the CC toggle of the MPK mini turned on so that I can switch between cue and loop functions with the press of a single button, with my cue functions mapped to the normal bank of midi notes. This method also works with normal midi notes.
mod1.jpg

Second, you need to create a modifier which gets the value 1 when the pad is released and the deck has a loop playing. To make sure it fires when the pad is released, tick the invert box. The modifier condition makes sure this only happens when a loop is playing and the inc increases the modifier value by 1.
mod2.jpg

The third step is to make the modifier set back to 0 afterwards. Because of the behaviour of the hardware I did not bother to add conditions.
mod3.jpg

The fourth and last step is to switch the backlight on when the modifier is 1 and send it to the right pad.
mod4.jpg
Lucretia Bragwell
Hello there!

my name is lucas and i've been DJing with traktor pro 2 and a numark mixtrack for a year and a half now on PC with no issues. i recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro and have had nothing but problems getting my Mixtrack to sync correctly... the big problem is that i cant get the jog wheel to scratch properly :/

i have started making a whole new map from scratch, but as its the first patch i've ever made i feel i'm doing something wrong or using the functions. I've got everything working except for the scratching. the actual scratching itself works fine, the problem is that when i stop scratching the track doesn't carry on playing :/ the tempo meter on Traktor goes to zero after the scratch and stops the track...

this is the example

working slightly better.tsi

the template only has limited functionality as i can make everything else work other than the scratch function but it is as follows:

EQ's : standard
volumes: standard
sync, cue, play/pause : standard
scratch on: scratch function (ish)
scratch function off: jog wheel/ tempo bend

only deck A is routed because i didnt see the point in routing the other deck if i cant get the first one to work lol

any help would be awesome as i have a gig in just over a week :/

thanks in advance, Lucas
Julianne Zuzek
I have a problem with Traktor mapping outputs and the Akai APC40. I believe I know what the problem is, but wondered what people's solutions to it were, if any?

If I map one of the Akai's rotary controllers (relative CC) to one of the pots in Traktor, all is well and the controller controls the pot. Now, the APC40 has LED rings, so I want Traktor to feed back the values it has to the LED ring (if I load up a song with a custom gain, I want it displayed on the gain pot on my APC40). So, I set an output, set up the LED stuff for the APC40 (configure the LED ring using CC+8, set the message right, etc). The fedback works, but only if I move the controller really fast. If I move it slowly it jitters, and jumps. If I move the controller close to midway (value 64) it moves itself to 64.

I imagine what's happening is that the output is setting the control, which is in turn being set physically by my hand, and this duality ends up in a big argument down my MIDI channel until it equates to 64. The latency of the output getting to the controller after the input got there ernds up with the value converging on 64.

So. The problem's there, I can't set feedback to my LED rings without this problem.

How do you get around this? I've tried only sending the signal to the LED ring when I push teh track load button, but if I hold the track load button the same problem occurs, I have to punch it once to load the song, and punch it again real quick to avoid it adjusting all my pots.
Tawanna Duchane
Hello guys,
My name is Yuki and I is new DJ from Japan. I feel sorry to ask this question but I is still quite new to digital DJing. I have just purchase a Traktor Kontrol S2 and has question about mapping a certain effect to some button on mine controller..
Since I is usually mix only Psy-Trance I not find mineself using all 8 sample slots. I want to know if I can map the 4 sample buttons on Deck B to do as the following: Activate "Beatmasher 2" effect and have the buttons cycle through the values of the effect for some on the fly build ups. I am sure you have all seen Ean's youtube videos about creating buildups where he using the "Midi Fighter" and I found it great that he can use 4 buttons to activate this effect and cycle through the values.. Can anyone assist me to set up a similar map to the 4 Deck B sample buttons I never use?
Thank you very much in Advance for any tips or help..
Yuki
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by hhvdketi1
This thread should be stickied i believe. Great stuff mate, keep em coming.
oh joy... yet another bot reposting from page one of the same thread. ironically embedding images from ihatespam dot info... which then redirect 302 to hostgator with an affiliate id in of "ShE3Warl". so whoever ShE3Warl is... you sir are a twat.
Hortencia Kasselman
Hehe no.. I got Windows so pain.. :P Mapping could really be much more comfortable.. anyways I hope I
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Ryukyu
Ah, this is great news. I
Hortencia Kasselman
Originally Posted by zestoi
u don't have to do anything at all for that... a control in traktor will only be affected by a modifiers value if you explicitly add that modifier to it.
Ah, this is great news. I
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Ryukyu
I am pretty sure I am able to map this, my questions is about another thing. I want the rest of the functions on the controller, like linefaders, EQs, effect section 2 (which I use for Filter Deck A/B and Key Deck A/B) to work independent on all modifiers, so that I can use them even when I have the super button or effect section 1 enabled.
u don't have to do anything at all for that... a control in traktor will only be affected by a modifiers value if you explicitly add that modifier to it.

usually people have the exact opposite issue in traktor... where they magically want a new modifier to affect all the existing controls they've mapped - which won't happen ofc
Hortencia Kasselman
Hey there.

I have a question with a mapping for my controller. Atm I use the reloop digital jockey II IE and in addition novations launchpad. As I mapped my entire looping to the launchpad, I have 2x4 buttons left on my controller. What I want them to do is the following:

I want to use the former loop buttons (located next to the effect section) as modifiers that only affect the 4 knobs and the 4 according buttons of the effect section 1. So that when I activate button/modifier 1 e.g., I am able to control the parameters and buttons of the single effect section. When I activate button/modifier 2, I command the chained effect parameters and buttons and with button/modifier 3 I want to use the 4 knobs each as a super knob, where I control all 3 parameters of the advanced section at the same time.

I am pretty sure I am able to map this, my questions is about another thing. I want the rest of the functions on the controller, like linefaders, EQs, effect section 2 (which I use for Filter Deck A/B and Key Deck A/B) to work independent on all modifiers, so that I can use them even when I have the super button or effect section 1 enabled. How do I do that? Do I have to copy all commands and add the modifier to each command? If I do this this means a shitload of work because I would have to do this 6 times. There must be any chance I can avoid that!?

I hope I was able to describe my mapping problem properly. If not, please ask and I
Basil Forshee
I've got a 'problem'. I'm owning the Kontrol X1 and am busy mapping the MIDI mode to fit my needs. I took some of Photojojo's mapping, but extended it with deck focus (with LED's corresponding the decks). Before I want to throw it online, I came onto a few difficulties:

• I want to map the PLAY button on the X1 to Deck Play, and when the Deck is playing, I want it to function as the CUE button. (So it must jump to the previous CUE point and stop the music). I tried this, but it just didn't work out for me. The reason I want this, is because I've mapped the CUE button for other purposes and I don't want to use the Shift button.
  • Is it true that sometimes the X1 doesn't correspondent to what's happening? For instance, I've mapped the Hot Cue buttons for Hot Cue's in MIDI mode (just like in normal mode), but sometimes the LEDs keep flashing when there are no Cue points set...
  • For the Grid Marker, is it possible that you can map the MIDI Out for the LEDs, so when there is already a Grid set, the LED of the button is flashing, and if there's no grid, the button's not flashing?

I'll hope that anybody can help me out!
Soraya Burrs
i've got a bit of a problem, i've got maschine and my s4 i'd like to use maschine to add more cue points for beat juggling, now i had a mapping that i've put the ncc file into the controller editor, and the tsi file is imported into tp2. I had it working fine last evening but now i try it again this morning with no luck, it seems as if maschine is receiving input from tp2 but its just not able to send any presses i make on the pads etc back to tp2. any suggestions or advice?
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by jon6oy
Hey guys,

can anyone tell me what the best parameters are for the sensitivity of jogwheels in Traktor for scratching?

cheers
there is no "one best setting" since each controller has different sized jogs and send out a different number of relative midi 'ticks' per revolution. plus ofc it's down to personal preference. just have a play with the settings until u get something u like...
Saundra Deguia
Hey guys,

can anyone tell me what the best parameters are for the sensitivity of jogwheels in Traktor for scratching?

cheers

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy