Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Loralee Erban
believe you need a big ass laptop.... and then go into the layout settings in the manager and flick though diff options
Sherwood Jayasuriya
hello everyone,

i have a question but im guessing its an easy one to answer. how do i put que filters on the sample deck slots? i see images of other people using traktor pro 2 in wich the sample decks have filters and volume knobs, mine only has volume...

hope anyone can help!
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by mardogz
I know, not only in the digital DJ realm I get far too bogged down in the technical aspects and it takes away from the creativity, which is what it's SUPPOSED to be about!! Maybe someday I'll have things set to where I can just create... But I doubt that (my techie twiddle demon would never allow this)!
well that's definately another reason why i'm working on this app i could have just made do with the controls and basic mapping tweaks and even midikatapult and actually spent more time mixing... but nah... lol besides.... this is me trying to get back into dj'ing with quite a few years break from traditional dj'ing and music production and the reduced boundaries between dj'ing and live performance intrigues me...
Nella Meany
having said all that.... this is exactly the reason (well partly anyway) that i've been developing my own app to sit between traktor+ableton etc and my controllers
Well best of luck to you zestoi; maybe you'll conquer this issue. I may check around and see what I can drum up as far as just getting a simple print out of commands, but that would be all I could ever hope to accomplish. I haven't run into any barriers to speak of that necessitates anything further, but I run output thru another separate cubase rig to handle recording and some other issues, so I don't have to worry so much about Traktor as a "complete solution". I know, not only in the digital DJ realm I get far too bogged down in the technical aspects and it takes away from the creativity, which is what it's SUPPOSED to be about!! Maybe someday I'll have things set to where I can just create... But I doubt that (my techie twiddle demon would never allow this)!
Chasidy Heckenbach
what is the reasoning behind not letting us export or even just have a "print" button coded into the controller menu section I wonder? No, it's not bad... but it would be awesome to be able to look at and debug my tsi when I'm not using Traktor... i.e. at lunch when at work (during work... hehe), on vacation, just anytime you were away from your setup, but still wanted to line out your midi mapping or brainstorm of new controller ideas.
i have clue why really... tho if they made the format more 'human readable' then
they'd have to do error checking etc on the reimport etc - but that wouldn't be too much of a big deal. i believe in pre-traktor-pro the xml was modifiable. some of it still is - but the cool controller stuff isn't. it's still in the xml but in an odd encoded format.

having said all that.... this is exactly the reason (well partly anyway) that i've been developing my own app to sit between traktor+ableton etc and my controllers and handles all traktor mapping internally via one big traktor tsi i created that maps all the ins and outs to 'names' that the app/script can manipulate.
Nella Meany
Das shei
Chasidy Heckenbach
Hello DJTT!!
I can't seem to find any good answers on how to import a tsi file into an Excel spreadsheet. !
because u can't

it's an odd ascii encoded binary format stored within xml. afaik no one has been able to decode it - and even if we could and be able to recreate they'd probably change the format in a later update anyway....

the controller editor isn't ideal but you just need to sort on the columns that make the most sense and search through to find what you want to change.
Nella Meany
Hello DJTT!!
Enjoy this site tremendously. I've never posted before; I never really needed to. I can't seem to find any good answers on how to import a tsi file into an Excel spreadsheet. This is my task at hand, as I need to do this to build the best tsi possible for my new MPK mini, Using TSP2. This controller seems to have few pre-existing tsi files available for it. I have my own preliminary mapping, but need to modify it to get it JUUUST RIGHT! My nanoPad mapping is cool, for a nanoPad (on my second one, cool but flimsy). I have since found I need more control options within a set so... I now have the Traktor Bible (a big help!!!), and have gotten a few rather respectable tsi files such as Ean's Oxygen mapping, chosen for the similar format of the devices. Too many obvious differences to be able to just use it "as is", plus I need to modify the tsi for my own needs. It would be nice to just print a particular tsi file's commands out to inspect and study, as well as to be able to debug my own tsi when completed. It would be nice also if said tool would be able to import changes made in a tsi file back into the Traktor interface. That function would just be an added bonus, though. In my search, I have found where it appears that Rainer had developed a tool for this very function, but it seems it has been abandoned a while back. I don't feel it necessary to explain what a tremendous advantage it would be to simply be able to look at midi tsi file commands on a spreadsheet. If it were to be possible, (which it has to be, right? haha) there seems to be an issue that would arise with the "Button Options" field at the bottom of each mapping control. The value that corresponds to the control isn't carried up into the spreadsheet-style selection menu. I am under the assumption that this section is all that would be imported into an Excel spreadsheet though? One remedy I guess would be to notate that same value into the "Comment" field by hand, which IS carried over to the spreadsheet format. Any info on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks!
Charline Dye
Originally Posted by zeldaleft
Sorry, your videos are too basic and rather unhelpful. Of course I know how to MIDI map, and have been doing so a long time. what I DONT know how to do is the question i asked: save, map and then load custom FX parameters with a single button, as is done in both the IG and the deckalized mappings.
The playlist I directed you to is about basic beginner midi mapping in Traktor, and they are very helpful if you are just getting started.(and none of those are my videos)
I assumed, because you did not know how to map a "super button", that you could use these tutorials. My mistake, and I apologize if you were offended. The reason I made that assumption is because your question was about mapping something really simple. I didn't want to start throwing mapping commands at you if you didn't know the basics.

My videos are also basic stuff, but at least 2 of them would have answered your question, and I would have directed you straight to them if I had known you knew how to map already.
Petronila Mothershead
I had all that down, but didnt realize that if you set effect amount to button, you can then set the value (and preset the amount of the effect). i had previously only mapped fx to knobs n faders, and didnt know better. Thanks anyway!
Chasidy Heckenbach
Sorry, your videos are too basic and rather unhelpful. Of course I know how to MIDI map, and have been doing so a long time. what I DONT know how to do is the question i asked: save, map and then load custom FX parameters with a single button, as is done in both the IG and the deckalized mappings.
looking at his tsi is a good place to start....

you just need to map multiple controls to a single button. for this you'd want to map "Effect X Select" and "Effect X Amount" and "Effect X On" and then also enable it in the mixer with a "Effect Unit Y On" all to one button on your controller...

so you turn on the fx unit, select the right fx and setting and then also turn on that fx unit for the deck in question with a single button press...
Petronila Mothershead
Charline Dye
In the instant gratification mapping, it's set up so that certain buttons load and activate preset fx.

How do i set, save, and then map to midi my own fx settings?
Sounds like you haven't tried any mapping before. If not then you will need to do a little learning first. You can start by visiting my YT channel (link in sig). When you get there, go to my play lists and watch the list titled midi mapping.

Then save your current TSI. Then you can delete it in traktor, map away to learn how things work etc. If you screw up you always have your old saved TSI to fall back on. It takes some time to learn midi mapping in traktor, but is well worth it.
Charline Dye
Eans midifighter TSI's are located in the Midifighter Forum.
Marva Cupid
Hey fellow djranking ers
Can anyone tell me how Eans Mf is mapped in this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97Z9c1axRU

Hope you can help

thanks

Damon
Petronila Mothershead
In the instant gratification mapping, it's set up so that certain buttons load and activate preset fx.

How do i set, save, and then map to midi my own fx settings?
Tatum Ansaldo
Do you have the controller in/out ports properly selected? LED feedback can interfere with the midi messages and cause unwanted behaviour if the ports are set to 'all ports'.
Lilliana Luong
I have a numark mixtrack and I have each of the jog wheels mapped to "seek position" on traktor 2. They are both mapped the exact same way except for they control different decks, however; when I try to look ahead in a track with the deck A jog wheel it kills the sound to deck B. Yet, I can go through the entire deck B track without interrupting what's on deck A at all. I don't understand how they do different things while they are mapped the exact same. The track still plays but the volume fader on the other deck goes all the way down to zero, even though I don't touch the fader. It is like a kill switch for the other deck and it's both frustrating and confusing. Has anyone ever encountered this? I could export my tsi file if that would help.
Lilliana Luong
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
when you say it kills the sound, how exactly does it do that? lower the volume, pause the track?
The track still plays but the volume fader on the other deck goes all the way down to zero, even though I don't touch the fader. It is like a kill switch for the other deck and it's both frustrating and confusing.
Bernardo Soileau
Originally Posted by joostiisme
Make all the hotcue triggers with mod 1=0
Then they trigger the hotcues to play when you dont press the modifier, and delete the corresponding hotcue when you do press the modifier.
worked like a charm, thank you.
Demetra Pinizzotto
Make all the hotcue triggers with mod 1=0
Then they trigger the hotcues to play when you dont press the modifier, and delete the corresponding hotcue when you do press the modifier.
Bernardo Soileau
I haven't really wanted to ask around, but I've tried so many search terms that I am running out of ideas, so please bear with me if this was asked before.

8 hot cues mapped on 8 separate buttons. I set a different button as mod1=1. Now, what I want to do is when mod1=1 and a hot cue button is pressed it deletes the hot cue. I mapped the same buttons to delete hotcue when mod1=1, it'll delete the hot cue, but it also sends the track to the hotcue. Any help would be appreciate in making it not play the hotcue prior to erasing it.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance!

-Diego
Tatum Ansaldo
when you say it kills the sound, how exactly does it do that? lower the volume, pause the track?
Lilliana Luong
Originally Posted by purplebootyfox
Thanks. I have that figured out now. I have one more question though and this one seems more puzzling. I have a numark mixtrack and I have each of the jog wheels mapped to "seek position" on traktor 2. They are both mapped the exact same way except for they control different decks, however; when I try to look ahead in a track with the deck A jog wheel it kills the sound to deck B. Yet, I can go through the entire deck B track without interrupting what's on deck A at all. I don't understand how they do different things while they are mapped the exact same.
bump
Tatum Ansaldo
just delete the X1 mapping in controller editor and then unplug it and plug it back in again. It should automatically load the default mapping.
Lyman Fard
aa i meaned i want cancel my mapping and turn to kx1 orginal default fx.ss
sorry 4 my gramm
Lyman Fard
u save my day bro
i was digging almost nothing before u !!
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by mess
how i can remap my default KX1 Kontroller ??
plse help
In the controller manager in Traktor preferences. It's in the manual bro. For more in depth mapping advice, check out youtube and also http://djbrute.co.uk/?p=67
Lyman Fard
how i can remap my default KX1 Kontroller ??
plse help
Lilliana Luong
Originally Posted by kjeldbjerg
It's easy as heck.
If you have the Modifier-button setup so that when you press it, the value is 1, and when you don't press it the value is 0; all you gotta do is map the effect-thing to the button with the criteria "Modifier1=0" and the Kill-EQ with the criteria Modifier1=1 (or the other way around.
Thanks. I have that figured out now. I have one more question though and this one seems more puzzling. I have a numark mixtrack and I have each of the jog wheels mapped to "seek position" on traktor 2. They are both mapped the exact same way except for they control different decks, however; when I try to look ahead in a track with the deck A jog wheel it kills the sound to deck B. Yet, I can go through the entire deck B track without interrupting what's on deck A at all. I don't understand how they do different things while they are mapped the exact same.
Chae Gnatek
Originally Posted by purplebootyfox
I am trying to map my controller on Traktor 2. My issue is that I have three buttons assigned to different effects. What I want is to be able to also map those same three buttons to be used as kills for the high, mid and low EQ using a modifier. I have the modifier selected and I have mapped a modifier button. But when I hold the modifier and press the button, both the kill and the effect happen. Is there a way where I can make the assignment coming from the modifier the exclusive one. Or when I use modifiers will I always have to chain commands. It seems stupid. I thought that modifiers would be ways to double my control assignments.
It's easy as heck.
If you have the Modifier-button setup so that when you press it, the value is 1, and when you don't press it the value is 0; all you gotta do is map the effect-thing to the button with the criteria "Modifier1=0" and the Kill-EQ with the criteria Modifier1=1 (or the other way around.
Anna Jenny
it seems theres a really switched on group of people in this thread so i was hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem i'm having - i cant work out if im doing something wrong (or missing something simple) or its just a limitation of traktor?

what i'm trying to do is have a single key perform the same command multiple times - ie. the key '3' has 'cue/loop move' -> 'forward' mapped to it 3 times so it jumps forward 3 times. however it doesnt work and it only jumps forward 1 time.

clicking the > arrow in the cue/loop bar underneath the track display 3 times works and using the example above, i have the '1' key mapped to move forward 1 time, and pressing it 3 times also works.

long story short - why doesnt having the same command 3 times on 1 key work like you'd believe? if i have to press a key 7 times to move a loop forward 7 beats i may as well not even bother

i believe that should explain the problem but just in case i'm not making any sense i have another thread with a more detailed description of the problem and what i believe is causing it here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=30038

thanks for any help on this!
Dorcas Bassignani
Originally Posted by Cambriaused
Has anyone mapped the SAMPLE DECK section of traktor 2 to the APC40? I've mapped everything but that section. I need some advice or help. my goal is to map the APC 40 as close as I can to the S4 with my own flava of course
you mean press button > loads / press again > start/stop / press with shift > clears it?

done that on dicers

example using modifier 1

on load/play button map;
mod 1 > direct to 1 / condition m1 = 0
load from deck [x] / condition m1 = 0
slot start/stop > toggle / condition m1 = 1

on clear button (with shift)
mod 1 > direct to 0 / condition m1 = 1 + mod condition for your shift button*
clear slot / mod condition for you shift button*

for each slot repeat with the next available mod

*used dicer shift button myself

now when you load it will copy the loop from the deck and switch mod to 1, then as mod is 1 the button will start or stop the slot, and holding shift will reset the mod and clear the slot...
Lilliana Luong
I am trying to map my controller on Traktor 2. My issue is that I have three buttons assigned to different effects. What I want is to be able to also map those same three buttons to be used as kills for the high, mid and low EQ using a modifier. I have the modifier selected and I have mapped a modifier button. But when I hold the modifier and press the button, both the kill and the effect happen. Is there a way where I can make the assignment coming from the modifier the exclusive one. Or when I use modifiers will I always have to chain commands. It seems stupid. I thought that modifiers would be ways to double my control assignments.
Charise Ollom
Originally Posted by joostiisme
2: is it possible to give a row of LED's a VU meter function? So it moves to the audio level?
Here's how I did it on my LPD8:
1.From the controller editor select Add Out < Output < Master Level Left.
2.Map it to the first LED you want on.
3.Type of controller should be LED and set interaction mode to output if it isn't already selected.
4. You're going to want to change controller range from the default values, but first some background on how it works. The controller range is in charge of what values will light up the LED, in this case when the master level left will turn on the LED. With that in mind change the values of controller range from min 0 max 1 to min .25 max .5, now when your levels are anywhere between .25 and .5 it will light up the first LED.
5.Repeat for the rest of the LEDs you want to map and changing the values of the controller range for the new values you want it to light up as for example the next one would be min .5 max .75
6. Repeat for Master Level Right.
6.I also mapped clip to the fourth pad, which is in Add Out < Output < Master Clip Left/ Master Clip Right.

I hope that makes sense, if you don't understand just let me know.
Desirae Survance
Thanks for reply
Nana Mohs
Originally Posted by Leetx
I appreciate the response. I believe what I am looking for it a sorta traktor mapping cheat sheet.
I believe someone should make one, that shows traktor software interface and all proper controller management tags that go with each function in the with an arrow or numbered diagram.
Traktor 1

Traktor 2

Hope that helps!
Desirae Survance
I appreciate the response. I believe what I am looking for it a sorta traktor mapping cheat sheet.
I believe someone should make one, that shows traktor software interface and all proper controller management tags that go with each function in the with an arrow or numbered diagram.
Eddie Maina
Originally Posted by Leetx
With Trakor Pro 2 how can I map...

Sample Deck C Slot 1 play
Sample Deck C Slot 2 play
Sample Deck C Slot 3 play
Sample Deck C Slot 4 play

Sample Deck D Slot 1 play
Sample Deck D Slot 2 play
Sample Deck D Slot 3 play
Sample Deck D Slot 4 play

I have tried to learn the button and set the options to load up in the right sample slot and have managed to get 1 working and when trying the same thing but next slot, I can never get another one to work.
I really want to assign these buttons to my AKAI MPD 24 so i can use it for effects and and samples
maybe something in my map can help...
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=28845

using sample decks...
Desirae Survance
With Trakor Pro 2 how can I map...

Sample Deck C Slot 1 play
Sample Deck C Slot 2 play
Sample Deck C Slot 3 play
Sample Deck C Slot 4 play

Sample Deck D Slot 1 play
Sample Deck D Slot 2 play
Sample Deck D Slot 3 play
Sample Deck D Slot 4 play

I have tried to learn the button and set the options to load up in the right sample slot and have managed to get 1 working and when trying the same thing but next slot, I can never get another one to work.
I really want to assign these buttons to my AKAI MPD 24 so i can use it for effects and and samples

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy