Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.Reply
Traktor mapping tips, tricks and questions.
Posted on: 26.01.2011 by Demetra Pinizzotto
In another thread I added two small tutorials for mapping in traktor.
It seemed like a good way to show beginning mappers where to begin, answer mapping questions, and see what other people are mapping.
This way every one can get new ideas and learn how to map their own.

The format is:
title with subject
description of the mapping, (maybe a very short video to show it)

text explanation in steps
screen shots of the mapping window.

see my two tutorials down here.
Charline Dye
Not exactly the right community or thread, and because this is your first post it smells like spam.

If this is not spam, then I believe it's a waste of money. You can learn all the basics and more via YouTube, community s, etc.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Dj Crazy
I bought this software yesterday from a friend in New York, and I was wondering if any of the community members could check it out for me to see if it was an optimal product of choice when one needs to start learning how to Dj. Please let me know if you have any other opinions on any software programs that I should buy in order for me to get a handle on how things work when I start out. Here is the software: http://www.howtodjtoday.com/cb1.html?hop=ironman911
Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks
wow - people just embedding their affiliate links right in the posts now... should filter out links in content or sigs from users with less than a certain number of posts.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Rukks
quick question, should i have all my pads and knobs set to notes when mapping my maschine? They are able to be changed using controller editor.
makes no odds really, you can use notes or cc's tho it's more standard to use cc's for pots/faders etc and notes for pads. with apps like traktor etc it makes no real difference tho.
Lang Abriel
quick question, should i have all my pads and knobs set to notes when mapping my maschine? They are able to be changed using controller editor.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Bigtyme7
Nevermind I figured it ouT! (: so you'll make a mapping under the pad function for Deck A and then under the CC function you'll do the same thing except for Deck B?
yep - that's a pretty good plan. then 8 pads for deck A and 8 for deck B. when i last used my lpd8 direct with traktor that's what i did and used the pots for levels+eq. didn't need to use the internal banks in the lpd8 at all.
Cherryl Thyfault
Nevermind I figured it ouT! (: so you'll make a mapping under the pad function for Deck A and then under the CC function you'll do the same thing except for Deck B?
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Bigtyme7
So I'm now mapping some effects and what not to my Akai LPD8 in traktor. I put some of the mappings in focus instead of a specific deck however even when I focus on Deck B, the functions still only work for Deck A. Also, when I'm mapping I make a bunch of mappings on pad function on the controller and then after thats all filled up I switch over to CC function however the editor says it's the same exact thing...
i've never tried to use deck focus, i'd guess there could be issues with using effects that way. i find it easier to map explicitly for each deck+effect unit etc. more mappings but i find it clearer as to what the heck is going on.

as for the PAD verses CC thing... sounds odd. u mean in PAD mode u click learn and traktor shows "note XX" and when u click on CC mode on the lpd8 and then click learn in traktor and hit a pad it also shows "note XX"? it should be showing "CC XX" ofc... the XX can/might be the same, but it should be showing it as a CC and not a Note.

you can also use the akai lpd8 editor to check/change what notes/cc's get send out.
Cherryl Thyfault
So I'm now mapping some effects and what not to my Akai LPD8 in traktor. I put some of the mappings in focus instead of a specific deck however even when I focus on Deck B, the functions still only work for Deck A. Also, when I'm mapping I make a bunch of mappings on pad function on the controller and then after thats all filled up I switch over to CC function however the editor says it's the same exact thing...
Lang Abriel
I dont know what is going on with my maschine. I thought I knew how to map but apparently not. Now I can set all my hotcues and delete them but for some reason button 3 on maschine "3compare" sets it to play when hit, its not holding to cue like all the rest of the buttons.

It might have something to do with the controller editor but I'm not sure.

Didn't even get into led feedback after all the trouble toevening . Sad times
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by grollsn
well traktor is not exactly the easiest mapping environment. but i like the funky flashing buttons and stuff. for me midi without the lights is like a car without tires.
i love flashing buttons and leds but i'd rather edit a midimasher config file in notepad or something than have to use that bloody traktor controller editor one more time... it lets u do all the same stuff u can do direct from the traktor controller editor and much much more...

they have to improve the controller editor one day... maybe...
Beata Soulis
Originally Posted by zestoi
interesting.... but in german???

ah sure. well i'm a total traktor noob compared to that, but i do know a thing or two about midi

i don't map in traktor at all any more anyway - i use my midimasher...

sheisse,
Chasidy Heckenbach
interesting.... but in german???

@zestoi: i had no time to get involved here as i was mapping every evening for two years now
cheers
ah sure. well i'm a total traktor noob compared to that, but i do know a thing or two about midi

i don't map in traktor at all any more anyway - i use my midimasher...
Beata Soulis
This may be a premature question...
there are no studip questions, only stupid answers

you might want to check this link! it's a very basic version of traktor bible (by all means one of the most influential pieces of literature of the decade) and covers a very useful range of stuff.

couldn't put it in as an attachment as it is too big so i have to take the less elegant way:

http://foren.musik-meyer.net/vestax/...f186cc7f75d8b7

@zestoi: i had no time to get involved here as i was mapping every evening for two years now

cheers
Chasidy Heckenbach
This may be a premature question, but I was looking through other mappings and can't figure this out entirely.

I want to set 8 hotcues for deck A and B on my maschine controller.

I know how to set the hotcues and it was stated in this thread.

I don't know how to make an led active when a hotcue is stored...?

I also dont know how to set a shift button to toggle and delete the hotcues...?

Finally, do people prefer to have their hotcues play when pressed or do you like to have a dedicated play button to start and then juggle hotcues?

edit: found a good solution to the problem on page 9 but don't know how to make a led modifier/how to set it up.
* create a modifier like M1 that gets set to 1 when u are holding down your shift button, so "add in > modifiers > M1" and use learn as usual

then for each of your hot cue buttons...

* add the condition M1=0 to "select_set_store_hotcue"

* add the condition M1=1 to "delete_hotcue"

* for led feedback u map "hotcue_X_state"

if i have a lit hotcue button then i use it to trigger the hot cue and if empty it maps it - probably what most people do - esp since thats what the "select_set_..." behavour is.
Lang Abriel
This may be a premature question, but I was looking through other mappings and can't figure this out entirely.

I want to set 8 hotcues for deck A and B on my maschine controller.

I know how to set the hotcues and it was stated in this thread.

I don't know how to make an led active when a hotcue is stored...?

I also dont know how to set a shift button to toggle and delete the hotcues...?

Finally, do people prefer to have their hotcues play when pressed or do you like to have a dedicated play button to start and then juggle hotcues?

edit: found a good solution to the problem on page 9 but don't know how to make a led modifier/how to set it up.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by grollsn
hey guys

first i cannot say how much i appreciate threads like this. great work! unfortunately as threads get longer thing tend to get very specific on posts and "the big news" cede.

so here's one. with traktor's new update to version 2.1.1 they implemented something really cool which will reduce the amount of buttons you need and make your life much easier.
that's a pretty epic first post! thanks for the info - that looks pretty bloody useful! i kept meaning to have a look at what those primary/secondary controls were really for
Beata Soulis
hey guys

first i cannot say how much i appreciate threads like this. great work! unfortunately as threads get longer thing tend to get very specific on posts and "the big news" cede.

so here's one. with traktor's new update to version 2.1.1 they implemented something really cool which will reduce the amount of buttons you need and make your life much easier.

in the command section for the sample decks you can find two new options: primary play and secondary play.

how to map them:

choose a button, i call it "b" [for button ]
choose another button, i call it "s" [shift]

"s" will be set as a modifier in hold functionality

set "primary play" to ["b" - "s"] [modifier = 0]
set "secondary play" to ["b" + "s"]

assign both to the same sampledeck and repeat the process for any desired decks.

so what will happen?

it is pretty dope, believe me

if the slot is empty ["b" - "s"] will load a sample in the size of the selected loop-lengh from the deck directly above

if the slot is empty ["b" + "s"] will load a sample from the browser

if the slot is playing ["b" - "s"] will mute the deck

if the slot is playing ["b" + "s"] will stop the deck

if the deck is stopped ["b" - "s"] will start the deck

if the deck is stopped ["b" + "s"] will clear the deck

this leaves plenty of room for out-command "mute" combined with the modifier "sample-deck-state" = playing/loaded/empty. (my denon mc 6000 supports bright and dim...and blinking leds )

i hope this hepls. if any questions arise, don't hesitate!

cheers
Yolande Gudorf
Originally Posted by djackie
Question... how can i map my X1 so i can control c + d or just c as sample decks and still use it to control a+b as standard decks? as far as mapping goes i know sweet f.a so any help would be much appreciated
The best way is to map all (C-D) function through MIDI mode, so u can easily switch on the fly from regular (NHL) mode, to control of sampledecks
Malvina Dedering
does anyone have any experiance with mapping an mpk mini over a s4 that could lend me some help??
Brooke Brockmeyer
Hey, hello. I have a problem with the mapping process of my traktor 2. I tried a lot of ways but I
Myrtis Blanchfield
Question... how can i map my X1 so i can control c + d or just c as sample decks and still use it to control a+b as standard decks? as far as mapping goes i know sweet f.a so any help would be much appreciated
Charline Dye
I know it was in S4 software and TP2 not sure about duo, and not at home or I would check TP1. Check NI's feature comparison chart it might tell you.
Charline Dye
I know it was in S4 software and TP2 not sure about duo, and not at home or I would check TP1. Check NI's feature c
Ada Matzkin
Originally Posted by joostiisme
This is not really a mapping tip, but non the less very useful.
I did not know traktor had this feature till today.
Alot of people will propably know already but for everyone who doesn
Charline Dye
Originally Posted by Xtr3medeez
hey guys i have traktor pro and a numark mixtrack pro on my macbook and ive been having some trouble mapping my hotcues
please help!!! im new to mixing and djing and its really hard without my hotcues working hahaha
In controller manager, select the mapping you want to change (duh), add in, cue/loops, select set store hotcue, hit the learn button, puch the button you want it mapped to, turn off learn, select which deck you want the cue for, and select the number of the hot cue you want mapped.

Wa La
Charline Dye
Originally Posted by Kilown
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=33822

Just trying to Map my MFP Cue ....

I like to find out how to use a Shift key to make a Button SAY on ?
Make 2 of the same modifier on the same button. For one have the same modifier = 1, and the other with the same modifier = 0

ex. Modifier 3 | Global | Direct | (mapped to button "A") | M3=0
Modifier 3 | Global | Direct | (mapped to button "A") | M3=1

This should give your shift modifier a toggle type action
Ivette Chicca
hey guys i have traktor pro and a numark mixtrack pro on my macbook and ive been having some trouble mapping my hotcues
please help!!! im new to mixing and djing and its really hard without my hotcues working hahaha
Junko Alleman
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=33822

Just trying to Map my MFP Cue ....

I like to find out how to use a Shift key to make a Button SAY on ?
Iraida Herzik
Hello. Can anyone tell me how to map the tree browser to apc40. Im trying to have the bank select buttons be my tree expand and collapse. the cue knob to be the search wheel, and a way to load the song to my matrix buttons that I already have mapped out . Im using the HouseQ apc40 mapping.

THanks

Relly
Morris Hernden
First off i use a numark omni, korg nanopad, and i use traktor pro. I want to set up my traktor to run 2 decks and 2 sample decks. Im here for suggestions what would be the best way, what would be the easiest way. I am new to mapping so this is why i am here.
Thanks all!!!!
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by DJ RC
I would like to map my typhoon as a 4 deck controller... How do I map it so when I press shift+ deck A play it will play deck C, Is this possible and if so how? thank you
for each control for deck A add a modifier that has to be set to 0 - then duplicate the deck A controls for deck C but so that the same modifier has to be set to 1. then make it so pressing the 'deck A' button alone sets that modifier to 0 and pressing shift+'deck a' sets that modifier to 1.
Lanette Newgent
I would like to map my typhoon as a 4 deck controller... How do I map it so when I press shift+ deck A play it will play deck C, Is this possible and if so how? thank you
Lilliana Luong
Originally Posted by Jester.NZ
check your output routings ... monitor should be channels 3/4 .. if your phones are plugged into channel b on the a2 you should be sweet. another thing to check is the monitor mix and volume in traktor. monitor mix should be all the way to the left (aka you will only hear the second tune)
haha I am getting closer. I now have both decks playing through my speakers and my headphones. I am still unable to isolate any specific deck to my headphones however. Right now my outputs are as follows:
Output Monitor:
L 3 Out 3 Audio 2 DJ Channel B left
R 4 Out 4 Audio 2 DJ Channel B right

Output Master:
L Out 1 Audio 2 DJ Channel A left
R Out 2 Audio 2 DJ Channel A right

thanks for your help!!
Latoria Kavulich
check your output routings ... monitor should be channels 3/4 .. if your phones are plugged into channel b on the a2 you should be sweet. another thing to check is the monitor mix and volume in traktor. monitor mix should be all the way to the left (aka you will only hear the second tune)
Lilliana Luong
So I have been struggling to get my set up working smoothly, and it has been a frustrating process. I have a numark mixtrack, which I have mapped myself. I am running traktor 2 and I just recently purchased an audio digital interface (audio 2 dj). My computer only has 2 usb ports, so I have my midi controller and audio 2 dj interface plugged in. I have my speakers wired through my audio 2 dj, and also my headphones through the other line. I am mixing internally, and have the audio 2 dj as my audio device in settings, and audio 2 dj selected as my soundcard. I have music coming through my speakers fine, but i can't figure out how to route any music through my headphones. So I end up beatmatching all of my songs over the speakers and it sounds terrible for an audience. How do I get the track I am mixing in to be played solely though my headphones? All help greatly appreciated.
Charline Dye
None that I have heard of, but you are not the only one asking for this, so maybe some one will make one soon.
Letty Holechek
Hey, I just have a random question that has been circulating in my head for a while. I have a VCI-100se and Traktor 2 and I was wondering if there was any new mappings for the VCI for TP2. And if there is not there should really be one.
Charline Dye
At minimum, you need a sound card with 2 outs like the Audio DJ2, DJ I/O, etc. In Preferences you have to select the monitor and main outs of your sound card, then you can pre-listen by hitting cue.

I don't remember how it worked exactly, but Stanton had a headphone splitter with the SCS3 system, that worked around having to get a sound card. I believe by just running one channel to the head phones the other out and everything mono. Not sure, but look around stantons YouTube on setting up the SCS3 I believe it is in one of the videos and that might do the trick for you.
Sherwood Jayasuriya
thanks already solved the problem. just needed to change the layout to an external mixer.
i was wondering if in traktor pro 2 i could do this: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=14981 hearing the tracks by pressing the headphone button without a soundcard or external mixer. thanks
Charline Dye
Just go into preferences and change the sample deck size. You can configure different layouts and switch between them. The manual will tell you everything about it

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy