Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Brant Briski
i didn't say anything of the sort - as shown in the video, the first beta of the db4 firmware had infrabass and fundamental on it. both come from the hyper bass algorithm from ilive. fundamental emphasizes a different frequency group than infrabass - which is a sub harmonic exciter. i use hyper bass all the time on kick, toms, and occasionally bass guitar when mixing on ilive or GLD. it creates massive bottom where it might be slim.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by mix architekt
fundamental is not infrabass; you'll hear the difference instantly.
That's what I thought- I liked the demo of infrabass much more.
Judi Sissel
So what you're saying is there are new FX being released... Care to share anything else Mix? lol
Brant Briski
fundamental is not infrabass; you'll hear the difference instantly.
Judi Sissel
Maybe they'll release a full Hardware utility/tool to make the eq and efx sections user customizable....?
Tatum Ansaldo
Yeh fundamentl is just what they ended up calling it.
Loreta Altema
Originally Posted by Rexx
I remember seeing an effect call "InfraBass" that Andy Rigby-Jones did a demo on. Then when I bought the mixer I couldn't find it.
I believe they just changed the name to "Fundmentl", but i could be wrong..

Mark EG on "Fundmentl" @ 5:30'ish

Larae Knifong
Ya! I'm really excited for this update too. I remember seeing an effect call "InfraBass" that Andy Rigby-Jones did a demo on. Then when I bought the mixer I couldn't find it.

Remeber this vid?: (skip to 3:07) There's a loooong list of effects that I don't have yet. (6:43 InfraBass)

Branden Wentler
Along with a firmware update maybe they are adding some new EFX? Interesting
Amira Gotcher
Originally Posted by djproben
That would be an announcement from NI wouldn't it? Though I guess A+H would be announcing too. But yeah that tweet seems like something more than a firmware update. Then again, a firmware update could be a game changer depending what they do. Something that better integrates K2 + DB2/4 for example - I've been clamoring for the ability to store effects settings in memory and recall them with a button click. Or the ability to combine effects on one channel (and store combos in memory) - that too would be pretty exciting. Also a Send/Return hack is probably in the works though not really a game changer.

Either way I'm trying to cool down the part of my brain that's all "OMG OMG OMG".... Excuse me while I go sit in a bucket of ice until "soon".
I'm pretty sure it's a firmware update that will be announced at the BPM show in a few weeks as mentioned by mix architect. I'd like to see post fader fx but it sounds like there's more in store for us...
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by GeekGod
Yeah that is what I was believeing.... or certification???
That would be an announcement from NI wouldn't it? Though I guess A+H would be announcing too. But yeah that tweet seems like something more than a firmware update. Then again, a firmware update could be a game changer depending what they do. Something that better integrates K2 + DB2/4 for example - I've been clamoring for the ability to store effects settings in memory and recall them with a button click. Or the ability to combine effects on one channel (and store combos in memory) - that too would be pretty exciting. Also a Send/Return hack is probably in the works though not really a game changer.

Either way I'm trying to cool down the part of my brain that's all "OMG OMG OMG".... Excuse me while I go sit in a bucket of ice until "soon".
Rosina Steinkuehler
Yeah that is what I was believeing.... or certification???
Nereida Jasnoch
Mark EG is claiming a huge announcement soon for db4. Firmware or something else? https://twitter.com/DJMARKEG/statuse...30225724489728
What could possibly be added that's mindblowing ?
He seems a little too excited for just a firmware update. So I'm definitely interested.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Mark EG is claiming a huge announcement soon for db4. Firmware or something else? https://twitter.com/DJMARKEG/statuse...30225724489728
Danae Dumler
It's good to see A&H updating firmware often. Makes me feel good about draining my bank account! Latest word is I should have the mixer on Monday!!
Honestly this is the one thing that pushed me over the brink and got me plopping money down on this thing, even though I had a perfectly acceptable top-shelf mixer at the time. For digital mixers, firmware updates should be routine, and the really high-end ones ought to specifically seek user input and continue to add features and improve usability as Allen + Heath has done. I really hope they continue along this path as it is the main thing setting this mixer apart from other outstanding digital mixers that have been introduced in the past 5 years or so.
Rosina Steinkuehler
It's good to see A&H updating firmware often. Makes me feel good about draining my bank account! Latest word is I should have the mixer on Monday!!
Tatum Ansaldo
I'm REALLY hoping for a send return.
Tatum Ansaldo
Just to confirm that, it was earlier in this thread: http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...962#post499962
Lynetta Stanislav
Great can't wait to see what they have in store next
Tatum Ansaldo
yes, mixarchitekt said they would be releasing a new FW at BPM.
Lynetta Stanislav
Does anyone believe we will get any ideas about the next firmware update at BPM this year .
Kiyoko Wellisch
I want a mixer with both isolators + HP filter + LP filter.
Tatum Ansaldo
I just drained my bank account and will be joining the elite!! Hopefully my DB4 will arrive before end of week!!

Quite excited!!
Welcome to the fold! Try using the filter EQ mode, you'll never want to use anything else.
Rosina Steinkuehler
I just drained my bank account and will be joining the elite!! Hopefully my DB4 will arrive before end of week!!

Quite excited!!
Yevette Matatall
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Ah that sucks

well, saying there is no room is wrong in the sense that the dj booth is massive, its proberly 25 ft wide, its just that if I sat db4 next to svm 1000 then one cdj would be close and the other quiet far, a little cumbersome for my liking...

Photo's below, once when djm 2000 was installed, another when svm 1000.... svm 1000 was first, then when 2000 came out it went in only to be replaced be svm again as its really a nice mixer.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Ah that sucks
Yevette Matatall
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Why didn't you just route the DB4 into the other mixer? Be a lot easier, assuming there is space.
no space
Kiyoko Wellisch
Why didn't you just route the DB4 into the other mixer? Be a lot easier, assuming there is space.
Yevette Matatall
Originally Posted by Kd1011
Has anyone been tempted into taking their DB4 into a club?

I mean, it would suck to give up all the crazy fx and go back to a standard 800/900...

Maybe A&H included a bag for a reason?
yes, but I got a fright... An Underground club I play in bali has a massive 80,000 watts dynacord system... they have a SVM 1000 mixer installed.... anyway I had brought my db4 in a few timeson the offchance the tech guy might let us hook it in, after some time I came in early (3am) and it was just me some staff and another resident who was also keen to hear it, he looked at the back of the SVM1000 and asked if it would be easy, we already tracks playing and they were a few punters but not yet busy. I told him it was easy and the music would be down for maybe a minute. So I first go to transfer the booth out, I removed one cable but as soon as I touch it to my db4 it kills the signal and it goes dead..... I didnt expect that, that wouldnt happen at home, but then again im not playing on a $300k system at home either.... I shit myself...me and the other dj put said cable back to svm and have never spoke of it again..the idea of blowing something on that system scares me, at that time thats when i realised I really know nothing "nothing" about audio or sound tech.... can anyone say...

NEW FOUND RESPECT.
Larae Knifong
I just saw all the vids on youtube that Mark EG did on the effects, and honestly, it made me fall in love with the mixer all over again. Just curious to know what you guys believe.

Ciara Cuttill
Originally Posted by photojojo
Stop kidding yourself. Sell it all and buy the DB4 and maybe a couple cases of Ramen noodles.
this!!!!!!!!!! i heart my xone:92, but if i could get my hands on the db4 ... ohmahgerrrd!!!!
Kathyrn Sandbeck
Has anyone been tempted into taking their DB4 into a club?

I mean, it would suck to give up all the crazy fx and go back to a standard 800/900...

Maybe A&H included a bag for a reason?
Kiyoko Wellisch
And you gain the ability to play entirely without traktor, nice.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Just plug your TT into the soundcard inputs and plug a cable from the soundcard output to the db4 input. If you want to play vinyl then just select external input in the traktor track deck or plug the tt in directly.
This is correct but just beware that you will have a major volume difference in the regular vinyl vs the Traktor output. Really annoying to work around. Seriously, scratch certification needs to be revisited.

Another solution - clunky but it works - is get a couple of these: http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Switch-S.../dp/B004T8KZCM

You can switch between vinyl and timecode on these little boxes instead and route the right signal into the db4. Still have the volume problem but not nearly as dramatic.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Could further down the line have the audio 10 hooked up at home and the audio 8 in the gig bag
Kasandra Kreindler
I wouldn't bother with an A10. A10 also requires an AC adapter.
thats weaksauce... ya i have a feeling ill be keeping my audio 8 for a while then its been a workhorse
Romelia Stankard
I wouldn't bother with an A10. A10 also requires an AC adapter.
Kasandra Kreindler
Multicore cables are just splitters and splits the signal from the tt into the soundcard and then into the phono and line inputs so you can toggle a phono/line switch on a mixer.

DB4 isn't setup like this and just has one phono/line set of rcas per channel and the new NI and Serato cards aren't setup like this anymore either. New cards just have one output and the bypass happens in software.

You don't need to use multicores with an audio 8 and I wouldn't anyway. Just plug your TT into the soundcard inputs and plug a cable from the soundcard output to the db4 input. If you want to play vinyl then just select external input in the traktor track deck or plug the tt in directly.
awesome! thanks man, ya ive been waiting for an excuse to trash my multicore cables since i first bought TSP1, thought they were cool to make shit easy but the more i stare at em the more i cant help but believe they dont look that high of quality (all the othe NI stuff i have is awesome though) so im looking forward to making some custom RCAs (wanted the NEO D+ cables, but at that price i can make my own and buy the rest of the gear i want ) to make my setup look even better (if only the internal soundcard was scratch cert'd, make the setup so much cleaner...damn NI saying the sales werent high enough to cert it, BS but whatev im over it)

.....i know CSB .....

offtopic: just to verify, it would be more than useless to sell my audio 8 to upgrade to audio 10?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
I would be using just timecodes as the vinyl i have atm i dont play, but would like the option to play some when im done spending all my money on gear and can start building my vinyl collection up more, i feel like a noob asking this but what do you mean by software bypass, wouldn't you just switch the input matrix to analog on the deck you want to play vinyl on or am i missing something here? also, how would the RCA connections go? plug the TTs into the audio 8 then have RCAs going from audio8 to DB4?
Multicore cables are just splitters and splits the signal from the tt into the soundcard and then into the phono and line inputs so you can toggle a phono/line switch on a mixer.

DB4 isn't setup like this and just has one phono/line set of rcas per channel and the new NI and Serato cards aren't setup like this anymore either. New cards just have one output and the bypass happens in software.

You don't need to use multicores with an audio 8 and I wouldn't anyway. Just plug your TT into the soundcard inputs and plug a cable from the soundcard output to the db4 input. If you want to play vinyl then just select external input in the traktor track deck or plug the tt in directly.
Kasandra Kreindler
You would have to hook the audio 8 up with regular rca cables and not multicores and just use software pass through if you wanted to play vinyl or if you are just using timecode then don't worry about it.
I would be using just timecodes as the vinyl i have atm i dont play, but would like the option to play some when im done spending all my money on gear and can start building my vinyl collection up more, i feel like a noob asking this but what do you mean by software bypass, wouldn't you just switch the input matrix to analog on the deck you want to play vinyl on or am i missing something here? also, how would the RCA connections go? plug the TTs into the audio 8 then have RCAs going from audio8 to DB4?

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy