Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Tamela Batara
I'm loving mine. Still haven't upgraded to v2 yet though, although will probably do so this weekend.
Danae Dumler
Guys I need help. I can't decide whether the DB4 is the best mixer in the known galaxy, or just totally badass. Any suggestions?
Romelia Stankard
Busy past few days, I keep forgetting to check this out- need to try it when I get home today.
Jacquie Whipp
Not a fan of the new sounding filters, a little too much resonance and it sounds very digital and Traktor-ish, IMO. Setting the resonance to about 3'oclock gets it close to the old sounding 92-ish setting.

I believe having FX settings per individual effect would be a little overkill. I wouldn't want to set it up for each individual effect, or even effect type. I mean really, how often are you changing FX settings (classic, send, pre/post, etc.)? Even now, for me at least, settings per channel is not necessary. I have all my channels set as the following and don't plan on changing them.

FX Unit
Post Fade

EQ
Pre FX

On Switch
Pre FX

FX Mode
Classic
Trey Sliver
Loving the V2 update but here's what I believe is still painful to not have (unless i'm crazy and missed it but i've been reading around and pretty sure this is the case). We need to be able to have dedicated mixer settings, especially now with the new fader options, PER EFFECT. Each of the 4 track's FX types should have the ability to store different fx menu setups so when you click your delay on channel one, it recalls that you had it post fader/classic mode, and so on. As is it is now I feel burdened having to click around all the time to change. I would much rather take the time in one sitting to find the settings I know I will most likely use per effect, on each channel, and have it good to go.
Cliff Lohman
Little more feedback:
- the k2 xlink is pretty slick.. It kinda sucks that u need the k2 to do some of this but it is what it is.. Dnno how ud get the controls to do some of these things elsewhere but perhaps xone will come out with some other smaller solution someday.
- it gets me back the loop roll dry/wet control that ive missed..And slip roll is a nice bonus.
- but the bpm detect or whatever u want to call it still something that leves much to be desired. Normally, I can usually get a loop in sync for a minute if i try really hard. If i bring it down to a micro loop and then back up to a bar length, i can usually get it back in sync. But its just a pain in the ass.. Please give us something here or do some tutorials on how to maximize this feature.. I suspect theres some bpm option that works best (midi clock etc) but ive yet to find it.. The funny part is that the xone db4 bpm detect is usually spot on.
- anyways, my point witht the k2 is that u cant even easily keep a channels loop in sync with itself usng the k2 dry/wet fader... That just seems bizarre.. I kinda understand cross channel sync going off but wouldnt u believe the channel should stay in sync with itself for a while?

I am glad they started opening the xlink up like this.. Tis is originally how i expected the xlink would work with the db4 so im curious what else they come up with here..

Al in all, i give this upgrade 9/10!
Amira Gotcher
Originally Posted by ferluno01
I was unable to get that flat sound when turning them on.
you needed to set the filter resonance to around 1 o'clock (not sure if it's the same in 2.0). i couldn't tell if the filter was on/off.

i love the new filter resonance in 2.0 - i never had a problem with the 'old' filters but always thought that the wild setting wasn't particularly wild... it is now!
Cliff Lohman
Not crazy about the new filter resonance.. Too phaser-y / flange-y sounding when u hve resonance high..

They r quite a bit different sounding now right?
Lita Vavrina
Originally Posted by djanderz
it allows tails to come through after the fx button is switched to off instead of cutting the signal dead.
i use it on delays. keep the dry wet at 12 oclock and expression at 3 o clock position in send or hybrid mode and and hold the fx button 2 sec it will automatically switch to off after letting go.

what do u believe about the new filters?

Loving the filters now, not that I didn't before but what bothered me about them was that I was unable to get that flat sound when turning them on. I tested it by recording a song and turning the filter on and off and no matter how I tried to adjust the resonance I was always able to tell when I activated the filter. Prob not a big deal for some, but it just bugged me that I couldn't just leave the filter turned on until I wanted to use it without the sound of a song being changed.
Lynetta Stanislav
They seem good only had a 10-15 min play with routings on the fx channels , how are you routing everything .
Eldridge Abenoja
Originally Posted by neilmcm
Had a play around with V2 , what difference does the fx on button pre/post make
it allows tails to come through after the fx button is switched to off instead of cutting the signal dead.
i use it on delays. keep the dry wet at 12 oclock and expression at 3 o clock position in send or hybrid mode and and hold the fx button 2 sec it will automatically switch to off after letting go.

what do u believe about the new filters?
Lynetta Stanislav
Had a play around with V2 , what difference does the fx on button pre/post make
Cliff Lohman
The 2 new fx are nice.. Didnt believe id care for them much,., like saturator alot tho
Judi Sissel
Glad I am not the only one not able to try this out...
Romelia Stankard
Sweet, can't wait to try this out when I get back home from the weekend.
Tatum Ansaldo
Damn, just as I'm about to go away for the weekend!
Cliff Lohman
Well played xone..

This is exactly what this mixer needed to take it to the next level.. Its simply amazing now.. One of the most flexible things I've ever put my hands on.. Its getting pretty close to being perfect imo..

My thoughts after playing with it for an hour:
1. Post fader FX are huge and sound great with the delays.. I am very happy they got this into the db4 as this was def the biggest thing I missed from the dim
2. Pre / post EQ - also huge.. another big thing I missed from other mixers was the ability to sweep an echo using a filter + have it ring out.. This does the job and just sounds so good on this thing.
** However, Id love to see the 2 main filters be given the same ability (unless Im just missing something regarding these - I believe they are strictly at the end of the signal)
3. FX Button pre / post - yet again, huge for how I trigger fx..

Heres my current upgrade wish list - this is literally everything I could possibly want on this mixer. If it had all the below, Id consider it 100% perfect for me..
1. 2 main filter pre/post option
2. Looper nudging
3. FX preset functions - i.e. ability to duplicate the setting from channel to channel or the ability to somehow trigger a series of presets, etc.
4. FX LED Screen Improvements -
a) show the parameter name hints for each fx (i.e. if your on a delay, show HF, LF on the bar settings, etc. - maybe my memory is shot but sometimes I cant remember what parameters the DMG, MOD, etc fx are using).
b) allow you to see the BPM + the parameter bar without having to toggle (is there some purpose to making you toggle that Im perhaps missing here? It just seems like something that serves absolutely no purpose having to toggle imo).
c) navigation options - maybe a way to toggle the fx without having to go to a seperate screen - dunno if its just me but its a little annoying the way the menu works. Perhaps you could just hold the select button and scroll to jump from fx to fx.. I dunno not a big deal.
5. Send / Receive - I dont know how it can be done but this would be a big bonus if they somehow figure this out..
6. Midi control editor - some way to custom edit the types of controls and how they work in terms of the midi shift option along with LED feedback.

HUGE thank you to mixarchitekt + A+H for putting out such a massive update and building on a single product line (instead of just pushing out next models) - you guys do right by the customer for sure and are a clever bunch..
Vada Branyon
It's the 23th.

Let's get this show on the road!!

strongbad.jpg

Firmware 2.0 DB4

Firmware 2.0 K2
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Rexx
spooge cleaner
Definitely necessary when you use a mixer this sexy. I'm glad they're putting this in the firmware but I just keep a rag by the mixer as a workaround.
Larae Knifong
Nice! So becuase I'm such a nerd and can't read all that fast; here's the list of features from the video:

Advanced FX routing
classic/hybrid/send
pre/post fader fx
pre/post eq
pre/post fx on
infrabass
saturator
enhanced looping control
x:link pairing
spatial crossover
master output balance
midi setup
midi channel 1-16
midi clock generate
mic/line on all channels
usb post channel fader send (???)
enhanced filter resonance
spooge cleaner
Romelia Stankard
firmware teasers? ahhh just release it
Tatum Ansaldo
early christmas!
Lita Vavrina
Judi Sissel
Even while receiving midi clock from Traktor you've gotta be pretty precise. The looper does great for an in-loop flux mode though..
Danae Dumler
In my experience the loopers on the DB4 are basically useless. You have to be very precise to get it to work right and there's no nudging so if it falls offbeat you just have to let it play and beatmatch the next record in. If you're using Traktor, the looper is far better and more flexible. Hopefully the new firmware will do something to fix this but I wonder if the looper will work better with CDs than with vinyl (which is what I use).
Tatum Ansaldo
Seconded. I asked for it at BPM but there were still too many bugs.
Romelia Stankard
hey mixarchitekt- any chance you can share the v2 beta firmware here like you did with the last version?
Judi Sissel
I would much rather wait then have a 2k nexus fiasco.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Word on the DB4 is that we will see this update by end of 2012 now. http://xonecommunity .allen-heath.com/for...4-v20-firmware
Sha Books
Now that you pointed it out, there's actually no mention of it..he says you can set the loop on and off..but on a second thought it must mean that it toggles the loop on and off.
Cliff Lohman
When u say 'end the loop record' - do u mean being able to manually set the loop out point?

If so, which part of vid shows that?

Thnx for posting those vids
Sha Books
Here are new videos of the FW updates.

DB4

DB2

It looks like with the DB4 and K2, it's now possible to also use slip rolls, jump between the different loop lengths on the fly, and adjust signal ratio of the loop and incoming audio per channel.
Cliff Lohman
Any news on v2 firmware? Am dying to get my hands on the crossover function..

As for the looping, ur right - keeping them in time for a long time isnt the most intuitive thing... I believe with the k2 fnctionality starting to really be integrated - well see something in the future.. I like how pio put the nudge buttons on the rmx1000. That would make the db4 loopers incredible actually..
Sha Books
First I thought of getting the DB4, but after reading more about the loopers I'm leaning towards DB2. As I've understood, the loops can be started with the loop button but not ended, so creating loops of variable lengths on the fly is not possible. Another bigger issue seems to be that the loops don't stay in sync properly for minutes, so jamming with the loops for a comfortable time is not possible. Also, I've read that the loops aren't synced to be in time with each other, so this also diminishes the value of the looper.

I have the RMX 1000 which has an excellent looper, with a better algorithm than in NXS 900, so that it quantizes the loop with the incoming audio all the time to prevent any slippage. I can also pick up loops of any length and mix them together very creatively. I can use loops in Ableton and Traktor, to create loops longer than four beats, which is the limitation of the RMX. Still, I would value the loopers in DB4 as much to get it, if the sync engine would work as expected.

So, I'd appreciate some comments about the looper, so I can become a happy DB4/2 owner. Of course, there's the new firmware coming out, but I haven't read that it addresses the looper's functionality.
Kiyoko Wellisch
You guys are fiends :P
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by BuRdTuRd
Got a new credit card, no interest for 12 months, it's so hard not to buy this! Decisions decisions.
Do it! I got one payment left and 10 (out of 15) months to spare. The hard part is not yanking the limit back up after you pay it off... Ohhh nexus lol
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by BuRdTuRd
Got a new credit card, no interest for 12 months, it's so hard not to buy this! Decisions decisions.
Just do it, you already posted about it so it's too late and the decision is already made. $2200 from proaudiostar, no interest, you owe it to yourself to buy it.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by mix architekt
you'll find using sweep a lot more useful once the new firmware is released, pre fx eq and post fader fx make all the difference in the world for this application. while you're waiting for that you can try to click in beat fragments using the input matrix or input mode switch. but bigger rewards come with fw2...
This is huge.. I was always wishing u could change the paths for feeding the delays to make use of the filters.. Used the traktor filters as the workaround

Not sure i follow about the input matrix and mode.. Ill have to give this a try
Kamala Temple
Babette Poppiti
definitely top of our list after having played with it at bpm 2012! mixing heaven - the new fx sound just as good as the iconic xone filters!

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy