Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Romelia Stankard
You would have to hook the audio 8 up with regular rca cables and not multicores and just use software pass through if you wanted to play vinyl or if you are just using timecode then don't worry about it.
Kasandra Kreindler
Got a question for you DB4 experts, I looking at upgrading my Mixer eventually, and was going to go with the DJM-900 but the more I look at the DB4 the more im justifying the extra cost, but before i get my hopes up and all excited i need to know if my planned setup will work with the smaller amount of Inputs/Outputs on the DB4 compared to a conventional DJ mixer. I have 2x Technics 1200 MK5s and an audio 8 dj among other things, my main question is how would i hook the Audio 8 DJ up to the DB4 for my TTs for DVS without sacrificing the other two channels available on the mixer as i will need those for my other decks (plan on using Maschine and kontrol F1, might even pick up another MK5) I really hope i can have it work with this mixer as i really didnt want to go the DJM900 route anyways.

Thanks in Advance
Brant Briski
all things in time.
Romelia Stankard
It would be cool if more of the iLive fx were added to the db4 including stuff that may be more useful for live/production type stuff. I'm believeing when I eventually get some elektron gear like a machinedrum and maybe octatrack it would be great if there was a compressor/dynamics effect available. A drum machine on a channel and having a compressor on the db4 would be sick. (i realize the elektron stuff has compressors but I would still prefer one on the mixer, and maybe have a channel for a synth that could use it).
Kiyoko Wellisch
In heaven they have all the turntables.

Yes, all of them.
Romelia Stankard
Nah they have M5Gs in heaven.
Erich Vallabhaneni
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Well if we're in a magical fairy land where I can afford a DB4 may as well get some CDJ2000s as well ;P

edit: In addition to SC2900s. And PDX3000s.
2 CDJ2000's and 2 PDX3000's through a spy DB4...Isn't that the resident setup in heaven?
Sagi Ohayon
there is no official driver for the xone products and ml out yet. go back to lion or wait for the drivers...

on the a&h offial site you can read...

Allen & Heath + Mac OS X Mountain Lion

In anticipation of the launch of Apple’s latest update to the Mac OSX Operating System (10.8 ‘Mountain Lion’), please note the following:

The correct operation of the full, public release of this platform is not yet verified by our development and test departments. As a result, support for OSX Mountain Lion is not currently offered for Allen&Heath digital hardware, software applications, or third-party proprietary software used with our product ranges.

We cannot confirm a date for providing support for this platform at present, but note that full software testing and verification will commence following the official launch by Apple. As our test programmes are completed we will update this notice.

We hope this helps
Romelia Stankard
No idea- haven't upgraded to mountain lion yet and definitely want to wait a while until developers can catch up.
Lynetta Stanislav
Anyone got any issues with there Db4 and Mountain Lion , I can't see the mixer as my soundcard in Traktor . It was working walked away for 10 mins came back and Traktor had frozen , rebooted it then the Db4 wouldn't show up . Tried restarting laptop , changing cables but still nothing.
Carlee Pickard
Well if we're in a magical fairy land where I can afford a DB4 may as well get some CDJ2000s as well ;P

Don't forget about hookers & blow as well.
Kiyoko Wellisch

Rosina Steinkuehler
OK, that does it. If the DB4 doubles as a James Bond style snooping device I'm getting one.
Pairing it with some SC2900's?
Kiyoko Wellisch
OK, that does it. If the DB4 doubles as a James Bond style snooping device I'm getting one.
Danae Dumler
OK just had the weirdest experience with my DB4, it's been on all evening (we've seen issues before with leaving it on all evening ) and I was doing some work when suddenly very loud through my speakers came what sounded like one end of a cell conversation (most likely from someone in a car outside my apartment). Scared the living shit out of me; the content of the conversation made it even more eerie (it was a guy practically shouting "I'm serious, you can see her left and right butt cheek!"

Sounds hilarious but it really scared the crap out of me.....

So my question is, is this a hidden feature, and how do I control it?
Kathyrn Sandbeck
How do you guys rate the effects for use with stuff like progressive house and trance?

It seems every DB4/2 video has minimal or tech house in it, so I'm a little worried...

Still really want one though. :P
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by mix architekt
i'll be at bpm in october, and there will be lots to look forward to in firmware. ridiculous stuff that will continue to reward users like having a new mixer. the dsp is barely being tapped... just reference ilive for what is possible.
Will the firmware update include a possible update to X-link?
Loreta Altema
Originally Posted by djproben
You can do this now using the matrix, though it's a bit tricky and requires you to sacrifice a channel. But if it's important to be able to use both modes, run the same signal through two channels, one with ISO and one with Filters enabled, and then just switch channels when you want to switch modes. Not ideal but it does the trick.
Going to have to try this.. I have just been trying to do it where it isn't noticeable or since I rarely use more then 2 decks when dj'ing out I'll have an A/B set on iso and another a/b set in filter mode, but that takes up all 4 channels and doesn't leave me 3rd channel to drop samples/fx.
Romelia Stankard
I would bet post fader FX are in the next firmware.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Yeah the way killsend was engaged per channel by holding delay and then the menu knob to engage it on that channel then you could turn it off there (the way the manual says to engage it). I preferred that for sure.
Yep.. Ill bet theyll let u swap between all 3 modes in next update on an individual channel basis. Thatd be cool.

Manual still says u can do the per channel ks switch.. I thought i was retarded for a minute trying to still do it..

What mode did everybody wind up liking the best? The send mode grew on me after a while.. I use that one and sometimes turn on kill mode for a bit. I dont ever use the regular.

Ill probably get heckled in this thread but i dont even have my db4 at moment. I swapped with my boys djm900 for a few months.. I can def say that i feel super limited with the djm900 compared to db4. I do like certain things about the nexus tho. Just the overall mixing/faders on djm900 is nice.. I never really loved the db4 curves on line faders.. And post fader fx is something i miss even tho kill mode is cool in its own way.
Tatum Ansaldo
Even more excited about going to BPM now!
Romelia Stankard
Yeah the way killsend was engaged per channel by holding delay and then the menu knob to engage it on that channel then you could turn it off there (the way the manual says to engage it). I preferred that for sure.
Cliff Lohman
Mixarchitekt -

yep, the reason is that i used to like being able to do a quick on the fly switch to killsend and then turn it off. Now u gotta go thru menu which is a slight pain.

And i cant recall but i believe u used to be able to switch a single channel to killsend and leve the others on regular.
Brant Briski
i'm a bit confused as to the "original killsend" that's being mentioned. are you referring to the old method of switching modes vs the menu driven way it is now?
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by m00n
I can't wait to see what's in store.. Would love to see a "soft takeover" option for the EQ modes that way I can flip between ISO and FIlters without having to do a double knob twist pinky flip, lol..
You can do this now using the matrix, though it's a bit tricky and requires you to sacrifice a channel. But if it's important to be able to use both modes, run the same signal through two channels, one with ISO and one with Filters enabled, and then just switch channels when you want to switch modes. Not ideal but it does the trick.
Kiyoko Wellisch
What was the original kill/send mode?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Rexx
Are they bringing back the original kill/send mode from v1.0 firmware?
Yeah they really need to do this and have it as an option.
Larae Knifong
Darn. I was hoping they'd consider an app for the DB4. I got my hopes up after getting acknoledged by Greg on the Xone Forums.
Are they bringing back the original kill/send mode from v1.0 firmware? OK... no more questions from me...promise.
Brant Briski
they are not - there's an update being worked on for mixpad, then the gld app will follow. check with your local distributor for more details.
Larae Knifong
thanks! lots of modular synth action on those tunes and even the db4 was setup on an aux for some reverb duties.

i'll be at bpm in october, and there will be lots to look forward to in firmware. ridiculous stuff that will continue to reward users like having a new mixer. the dsp is barely being tapped... just reference ilive for what is possible.
I asked Santa for a MixPad app (like my iLive) for the DB4. Can you check to see if the elves are working on it?
Loreta Altema
I can't wait to see what's in store.. Would love to see a "soft takeover" option for the EQ modes that way I can flip between ISO and FIlters without having to do a double knob twist pinky flip, lol..
Danae Dumler
Very excited to hear this, and really loving the responsiveness from A+H on firmware feature requests and concerns. I wonder if we'll see a send/return option added somehow!
Lynetta Stanislav
thanks Mix Arch for the info , good to know that theres lots to come in the future , hope to see you at BPM .
Brant Briski
thanks! lots of modular synth action on those tunes and even the db4 was setup on an aux for some reverb duties.

Romelia Stankard
the bpm show :-)
Wow dude- gotta say Oblivion's March is huge.

http://www.beatport.com/track/oblivi...al-mix/3624994

Added to my cart, nice work.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I might be
Lynetta Stanislav
Are u going to be there fancy going this year.
Brant Briski
the bpm show :-)
Romelia Stankard
Not sure when/if we can really expect another firmware update or if they are working on anything.
Lynetta Stanislav
Does anyone have any ideas on what the next firmware update might bring.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy