Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Not that I can tell the release notes just has 1 line item in it for the USB 3.0 issues.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by GeekGod
New DB4 driver was released that supposedly fixes the USB 3.0 problems (on Mac). You can download it from the A&H support site.
was there anything else cool they added?
Rosina Steinkuehler
New DB4 driver was released that supposedly fixes the USB 3.0 problems (on Mac). You can download it from the A&H support site.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by balakoth
For Djs to stop flooding their sets with FX and learn to mix and or add something more dynamic to their set?
That's just it, the effects are nothing like your typical crap you find on a DJ mixer or in Traktor. It's less in-your-face stutters, LFOs and flangers and more like something you might actually use in production to add to a track.

The fact it doesn't have instant gratification noise buttons helps :P
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
why do u use traktor FX if you have maschine and ableton, using those FX you wouldnt effect the original signal versus traktor FX it does (main reason im getting away from traktor FX and wanting to get into a DB4)
My Traktor FX are routed through one of my send/return for post
Danae Dumler
Again the only thing that interests me is the ISO eq.. but ive been living without that for years
Filter EQ-ing is pretty damn sweet. Don't knock it till you tried it. The ISO is nice too but I've stopped using it and pretty much only mix with the filters now.
Kasandra Kreindler
I believe right there kinda sums up that the db4 really isnt in my need factory. The db4 wouldnt eliminate my k2s, just one audio card... Traktor has effects, Maschine has effects and ableton has effects, that I all use so no real need for the db4s.

Again the only thing that interests me is the ISO eq.. but ive been living without that for years
why do u use traktor FX if you have maschine and ableton, using those FX you wouldnt effect the original signal versus traktor FX it does (main reason im getting away from traktor FX and wanting to get into a DB4)
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by Rexx
I don't really mix anymore. I work in the Middle East with live instruments, that I play. I play arabic electro (if I can attempt to categorize it). I use my gear like a one man band. Almost everything is improvised. I say almost because I also use clips in Ableton to create the music. I use the DB4 like a central hub to keep the instruments and lighting synchronized. Truthfully, I don't use the FX on it much as I'm still learning them. I lack the confidence to use them on stage.

Before the DB4, I used the 92 in my rig, of course I had to add an FX unit, sound card, and 2 midi controllers. My sets haven't changed much.

I'm hoping to have something new manifest itself while I'm at home on hiatus for Easter. I really need to sit alone with the DB4. It's so hard to find the time.

The 92 is great! The clubs in my small town still use it. Even the DJM800. My audiophile friends love the 92 also.

Rent the 92 for the week, or go the the shop everyday, and see if you like it.

The DB4 is not necessary and it's not the holy grail, but when I look at it, I still get excited. And that's after 2 years of owning it.
I believe right there kinda sums up that the db4 really isnt in my need factory. The db4 wouldnt eliminate my k2s, just one audio card... Traktor has effects, Maschine has effects and ableton has effects, that I all use so no real need for the db4s.

Shawn Vanhaitsma
For Djs to stop flooding their sets with FX and learn to mix and or add something more dynamic to their set?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Jayvee
I don' t get what's so great about the DB4...

Please don't hit me
Having best effects processor ever seen on a mixer on each channel is quite something. What do you prefer?
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by ferluno01
Found this video just a bit ago on YouTube on how to use db4 as a "certified" mixer with traktor. Unsure if you can do this with a mac as this example is done using a PC.

Anyone have any luck trying this with a Mac?
Alease Fitch
I don' t get what's so great about the DB4...

Please don't hit me
Genoveva Bopp
Originally Posted by djproben
Do you have any videos of your in action? Your shows sound dope!
Plus 1
Danae Dumler
I don't really mix anymore. I work in the Middle East with live instruments, that I play. I play arabic electro (if I can attempt to categorize it). I use my gear like a one man band. Almost everything is improvised. I say almost because I also use clips in Ableton to create the music. I use the DB4 like a central hub to keep the instruments and lighting synchronized.
Do you have any videos of your in action? Your shows sound dope!
Tamela Batara
That is awesome. Can now use my official copy of Traktor. Yaaaaaayyyyyyy
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wow, sneaky sneaky. Wouldn't have guessed the check is so simple... Pretty awesome.
Lita Vavrina
Found this video just a bit ago on YouTube on how to use db4 as a "certified" mixer with traktor. Unsure if you can do this with a mac as this example is done using a PC.

Reda Pontoriero
I own the DB4 for 6 months now and I'm believeing to switch back to a 92. I miss the send/return option and a full channel input for my Maschine. In most cases I use the FX from Ableton or Traktor and not the FX from the DB4. Besides that I believe the most FX options in the DB4 are useless. And for a digital mixer I whish I can tweak more parameters like the frequency of the Isolater, chained FXs, etc. So for mixing like Liebing, Speedy J, Hawtin I believe the 92 is the mixer to go for.
Larae Knifong
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
That's an amazing run down. Thanks! I've looked high and low and only found the 92 in a shop to play around with. No DB4 unfortunately.
What style of music do you mix? I mix drum & bass 95% of the time and have seen Andy C flogging the filters on the 92, hence the reason why I'm looking at it.
Like this video at 2 mins 30 secs.
I don't really mix anymore. I work in the Middle East with live instruments, that I play. I play arabic electro (if I can attempt to categorize it). I use my gear like a one man band. Almost everything is improvised. I say almost because I also use clips in Ableton to create the music. I use the DB4 like a central hub to keep the instruments and lighting synchronized. Truthfully, I don't use the FX on it much as I'm still learning them. I lack the confidence to use them on stage.

Before the DB4, I used the 92 in my rig, of course I had to add an FX unit, sound card, and 2 midi controllers. My sets haven't changed much.

I'm hoping to have something new manifest itself while I'm at home on hiatus for Easter. I really need to sit alone with the DB4. It's so hard to find the time.

The 92 is great! The clubs in my small town still use it. Even the DJM800. My audiophile friends love the 92 also.

Rent the 92 for the week, or go the the shop everyday, and see if you like it.

The DB4 is not necessary and it's not the holy grail, but when I look at it, I still get excited. And that's after 2 years of owning it.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Andy C also uses the DB4, Traktor and vinyl now. There's a few videos floating around of him talking about it.
How right you are. Cheers mate.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Andy C also uses the DB4, Traktor and vinyl now. There's a few videos floating around of him talking about it.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
I have both. I would suggest going to hear them in person. Nothing beats hearing for yourself, but I'm going to try to describe them for you. I bought the DB4 when it first came out, to upgrade my 92. The filters were a little lacking that fine fine adjustment compared to the 92. Since the upgrade on the DB4, I find that they intensified the resonance, which I love. You can get that fine adjustment on the DB4 using the EQs. There's a learing curve, though to get the machine to do what you want. There's just so much to discover when shaping your sounds on the DB4. I use both the mixers when the occassion calls for it, but mostly the DB4...since everything is digital these days. I love my 92 with vinyls. Although with the new firmware on the DB4 - it gave me a new ear on my vinyls, almost like I was listening to a brand new track when using the Infrabass. The bass just punches me in the gut and hits me in the heart.

In my opinion, the 92 will get you just so far, it's for bare bones mixing... but the DB4 will let you go beyond and grow with you... until another piece of gear comes along.
That's an amazing run down. Thanks! I've looked high and low and only found the 92 in a shop to play around with. No DB4 unfortunately.
What style of music do you mix? I mix drum & bass 95% of the time and have seen Andy C flogging the filters on the 92, hence the reason why I'm looking at it.
Like this video at 2 mins 30 secs.
Kiyoko Wellisch
It does sound really very interesting! Personally I'd love a mixer that had both isolating EQ and a HP + LP filter on each channel. I believe when bitwig comes out (and I get some money) I'll run 4 decks externally and then have the filters internally with some midi knobs controlling them
Tamela Batara
I love the Filter EQ on the DB4. I always find myself using them over the ISO EQ.
Kiyoko Wellisch
To be fair I've never seen a DJ mixer with parametric EQ. :P
Joya Heiberg
The 92 does not have parametric EQ.
You know more about the Xone 92 than I do, and I own one.
Kiyoko Wellisch
As far as Isolation EQing goes, what are the feelings on a 3 band iso vs 4 band parametric then?
The 92 does not have parametric EQ.
Larae Knifong
Serious when I ask... but can you elaborate? What is the db4 offering me over one of the club and touring standards for years "for basic mixing" other than a crap ton of effects? (I feel a ton of sets are just effect laden showcases now a days as is)

Ive been researching to see if the db4 would be a better option, but after reading the little hitches in how it does its routing and inputs, the 92 still seems better suited to my needs of 4 decks and 2 separate channels for maschine and ableton clips. No flipping no switching, 4 band eqs.

I believe im trying to find someone to convince me lol. But honestly, I guess Im not seeing the complete draw to the system yet.

I know what you mean. I had a hard time deciding on purchasing the DB4 also. It's so damn expensive. I never found a post convincing enough to take the plunge. I'm not trying to convince you. Its tough for me to elaborate using my words. Believe me, I'm frustrated that I can't give a good description for you. The DB4 doesn't offer anything new... come to believe of it none of the gear out there does.

I've had the 92 since 2005/6 and I just felt I needed something more. I kept adding gear to my set-up. Every mixer or piece of gear is going to have it's quirks. Nothing out there is perfect. You have a tough decision to make... I don't envy you. If you can rent or borrow a 92, it's the only way to know for sure if it suits you. I've had my 92 for 7/8 years and I still use it.

The DB4 I'm still learning to use, and there's always something new to discover. I don't need to add a soundcard, an FX unit or midi controller, like I would with the 92. I don't flip and switch from analogue to digital during a gig. I have my sets planned out and I try to use the right tool(s) for the job. I use it with Ableton (clips I've created), to shape my sounds and transmit how I feel to the crowd. I stopped playing other peoples music in 2010. (Unless someone hires me to. LOL).

I'm not sure what you do with your music, but I believe you'll be happy NOT buying the DB4.
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Just sum the output from Maschine and Ableton software side and route them through a single input.
Means more midi controls assigned for adjusting levels and eqing ableton clips and maschine seperately :/ I guess I just like I have complete individual control over the two return channels on the 92 (aux 1 2, 4 band eq, cues etc)

As far as Isolation EQing goes, what are the feelings on a 3 band iso vs 4 band parametric then?

The only draw to me for the db4 is eliminating one audio interface and 4 cables. Other than that i dont gain much, I still need the audio interface from my other laptop. It looks like a cool kit, Im just no an FX jockie so my interest is limited. Besides cord savers and possibly the ISO eq, I guess Ill stick with my 92
Kiyoko Wellisch
The mic channel is a separate channel, it's not shared.
Kasandra Kreindler
The DB4 has 5 channels.
whaaaaaaaa, you reffering to the mic channel? (this is shared with ch1 AFAIK)
Kiyoko Wellisch
The DB4 has 5 channels.
Kasandra Kreindler
Just sum the output from Maschine and Ableton software side and route them through a single input.
if if he did that he would need 5 ch, as he wants 4 ch dedicated to 4 traktor decks, would you be able to use the input matrix in such a way to achieve this?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Shawn Vanhaitsma
In my opinion, the 92 will get you just so far, it's for bare bones mixing... but the DB4 will let you go beyond and grow with you... until another piece of gear comes along.
Serious when I ask... but can you elaborate? What is the db4 offering me over one of the club and touring standards for years "for basic mixing" other than a crap ton of effects? (I feel a ton of sets are just effect laden showcases now a days as is)

Ive been researching to see if the db4 would be a better option, but after reading the little hitches in how it does its routing and inputs, the 92 still seems better suited to my needs of 4 decks and 2 separate channels for maschine and ableton clips. No flipping no switching, 4 band eqs.

I believe im trying to find someone to convince me lol. But honestly, I guess Im not seeing the complete draw to the system yet.
Larae Knifong
So much damn information on this thread! After hours and hours of researching I am left with 2 mixers.
The DB4 & the Xone 92.
I have one burning question that I can't find answered on any community .
How do the filters on the DB4 compare to that of the analogue 92?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I have both. I would suggest going to hear them in person. Nothing beats hearing for yourself, but I'm going to try to describe them for you. I bought the DB4 when it first came out, to upgrade my 92. The filters were a little lacking that fine fine adjustment compared to the 92. Since the upgrade on the DB4, I find that they intensified the resonance, which I love. You can get that fine adjustment on the DB4 using the EQs. There's a learing curve, though to get the machine to do what you want. There's just so much to discover when shaping your sounds on the DB4. I use both the mixers when the occassion calls for it, but mostly the DB4...since everything is digital these days. I love my 92 with vinyls. Although with the new firmware on the DB4 - it gave me a new ear on my vinyls, almost like I was listening to a brand new track when using the Infrabass. The bass just punches me in the gut and hits me in the heart.

Adrienne Wilcoxen
So much damn information on this thread! After hours and hours of researching I am left with 2 mixers.
The DB4 & the Xone 92.
I have one burning question that I can't find answered on any community .
How do the filters on the DB4 compare to that of the analogue 92?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Kiyoko Wellisch
Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently running an SL1 with plans to upgrade to an SL4 or A10. Am I right in assuming you would have to choose either DVS or vinyl with the SL1 as there's only 2 RCAs per channel?
Yep but you could route the digital vinyl outputs into 2 channels and then use the other 2 channels for real vinyl, would work fine. This wouldn't be an issue with the SL4 or Audio10 as the thru on those shares the same output as the digital vinyl.

Originally Posted by xs2man
Input limitations?

You can have 4 line or 4 phono (or any combination in between, albeit 2 phono ins are software controlled), 4 digital ins, and 4 Stereo USB ins. I generally find that 12 decks are a little much for me. I mean, okay, you can only really mix 4 decks at a time, but you can connect 12 sources if you want.

Actually, I forgot, you also have an extra line input on the mic channel, so you could in theory have 4 1200's, 5 CDJ's and 4 Traktor decks hooked up at the same time.
Yes but you can only have 4 stereo analogue inputs at a time. 5 if you count the mic channel. For switch-able DVS with an SL1, Audio4 or any other cards without a direct thru that utilities the interface's preamp you need 2 stereo analogue inputs per channel. This means you can only run 2 decks of timecode on this 4 channel mixer with these cards.

Lots of people were very annoyed with A&H's decisions with the IO.

Originally Posted by djproben
So on the SL4 you can switch between real vinyl and serato just like you can with the A10 and Traktor? Is it a direct through (bypassing the computer)? hmmm I did not know this; the input limitations on the DB4 is my one major complaint with this mixer TBH.
I'm not 100% that it bypasses the computer but it does certainly use the same output. On the RANE site they say "Four software-switchable analog Thru connections for regular vinyl or CD." which makes me suspect it's not via the software though you need to switch it on and off via software due to the lack of hardware switches for it.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently running an SL1 with plans to upgrade to an SL4 or A10. Am I right in assuming you would have to choose either DVS or vinyl with the SL1 as there's only 2 RCAs per channel?
Tamela Batara
Input limitations?

You can have 4 line or 4 phono (or any combination in between, albeit 2 phono ins are software controlled), 4 digital ins, and 4 Stereo USB ins. I generally find that 12 decks are a little much for me. I mean, okay, you can only really mix 4 decks at a time, but you can connect 12 sources if you want.

Actually, I forgot, you also have an extra line input on the mic channel, so you could in theory have 4 1200's, 5 CDJ's and 4 Traktor decks hooked up at the same time.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy