Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Rochel Gleese
Well from what I've read a new not 100% legitimate copy of TSP2.5 can now use the DB4 as a scratch sound card.

Morally I believe if you own a TSP2.5 and an NI sound card you could use it.

Not that I own a DB4 but if I did
Rochel Gleese
you're probably right
Danae Dumler
I've heard three or four such stories, that's about it, all posted here. The stories get repeated on different threads so it sounds a lot worse than it is. I'm pretty confident the failure rate, if we knew it, would turn out little different compared to the stats from any other similar products.
Rochel Gleese
i hear so many awful stories of multiple failed units, must be costing them a packet
Tatum Ansaldo
I got mine b-stock here in the UK and it was a brand new replacement for a DOA that the customer didn't want any more. Basically the box was open and that was it.
Danae Dumler
yeah Pro Audio Star treated me fine I got mine brand new from them for 2100 shipped; the unit they sent was DOA and they took care of it, I had another new one within a week or so.
Judi Sissel
Thanks Xone! Thought I'd give them a call anyway. GL with it the production setup man, sounding good.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by DarioJ
http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...db4-mixer.html

Is the piece of mind worth the $700? I've heard nothing but great things about PAS....
god no, do not pay the new unit price

Also I would bet $100 they send you a new in sealed box unit for $2,199, they just say "b-stock" so they can advertise it for cheaper than the minimum advertised price. If you call them they will say they can send you a new one for that much, that's what they did for a few of us here and that's what I paid for a new one from them.
Judi Sissel
http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...db4-mixer.html

Is the piece of mind worth the $700? I've heard nothing but great things about PAS....
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by djdunamis
So instead of going through 80 pages, I'll just ask, did you go for the mixer? While A&H stuff is great, I passed on a Xone92 and went for an Ecler NUO4. Half the price and had lot of the same functions I was looking for.
Oh yeah, love the DB4.
Wallace Lawmaster
So instead of going through 80 pages, I'll just ask, did you go for the mixer? While A&H stuff is great, I passed on a Xone92 and went for an Ecler NUO4. Half the price and had lot of the same functions I was looking for.
Lita Vavrina
Originally Posted by mostapha
The more experience the better
Dorie Scelzo
The more experience the better……I'm still not convinced more options is always better.
Lita Vavrina
Originally Posted by mostapha
Exactly.

"resonance" causes a peak (increased gain) right around the cutoff point.

It's one of the reasons I hate the filter on Pioneer mixers: no resonance. It sounds really clean (if you watch your levels well) and kind of awesome to set an HP filter pretty low (30 to 70Hz ish) and play with the resonance. It's kinda like turning up a really high gain bass EQ that has completely different distortion and phasing characteristics from just turning up an EQ.

That's one thing I miss from having a xone.

And, btw, the DB4 is growing on me a bit. I still believe they got a lot of things wrong, and I wouldn't buy it for $2600 or whatever…but I'd enjoy it at a club.

Thanks, thats definitley a good thing to know as I was unaware of it. I will admit I dont feel I gave the mode enough of a chance but my next few mixes im going to force to stick to it. Hopefully I'll both gain a better understanding of the mode and my mixes will turn out better. Either way the more options under my belt the better.
Dorie Scelzo
Exactly.

"resonance" causes a peak (increased gain) right around the cutoff point.

It's one of the reasons I hate the filter on Pioneer mixers: no resonance. It sounds really clean (if you watch your levels well) and kind of awesome to set an HP filter pretty low (30 to 70Hz ish) and play with the resonance. It's kinda like turning up a really high gain bass EQ that has completely different distortion and phasing characteristics from just turning up an EQ.

That's one thing I miss from having a xone.

And, btw, the DB4 is growing on me a bit. I still believe they got a lot of things wrong, and I wouldn't buy it for $2600 or whatever…but I'd enjoy it at a club.
Lita Vavrina
Thanks very much for the response. I'll def give it a shot. I had tried using it before but when I would mess with the lows, when turning the knob from left to center position the bass would get low, high, then low again it was weird. Im, guessing that had to do with the resonance though. When I get home ill mess around more with it and stick to it while practicing and see what results come of it.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by djproben
I pretty much only use filter mode. Once I got my head around mixing like this, it's the only way I want to mix now. I've been spinning a lot of tech house lately and filter mode is a dream for that style; I imagine you'll feel the same way for deep house once you try it for a while. It's a little awkward at first since the default pass mode looks so much different from EQs (which are all centered). Start by just using the filters and leaving the resonance turned down, then when you're comfortable with that, start playing with the resonance knob too; it seems to give you a lot more precise control over the bass. Do yourself a favor and leave it in filter mode for a couple weeks - it's awkward at first but pretty rewarding if you keep at it; I feel like my mixes are so much smoother.
Are you... Me?

The send return idea was for an option to use the record out and one of the analogue ins as a send return, with a D/W selectable in the damage FX.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by ferluno01
Anybody have any advice or tips on making better use of the different EQ modes? I spin deep house and usually keep my eq on iso mode. Was wondering if anybody is making good use of filter mode specifically. Any suggestions?
I pretty much only use filter mode. Once I got my head around mixing like this, it's the only way I want to mix now. I've been spinning a lot of tech house lately and filter mode is a dream for that style; I imagine you'll feel the same way for deep house once you try it for a while. It's a little awkward at first since the default pass mode looks so much different from EQs (which are all centered). Start by just using the filters and leaving the resonance turned down, then when you're comfortable with that, start playing with the resonance knob too; it seems to give you a lot more precise control over the bass. Do yourself a favor and leave it in filter mode for a couple weeks - it's awkward at first but pretty rewarding if you keep at it; I feel like my mixes are so much smoother.
Lita Vavrina
Anybody have any advice or tips on making better use of the different EQ modes? I spin deep house and usually keep my eq on iso mode. Was wondering if anybody is making good use of filter mode specifically. Any suggestions?
Danae Dumler
^No but I have another problem if I leave it on all evening ; Traktor stops recognizing it as the soundcard and usually stops noticing the midi controllers too. Annoying and I can't decide if it's a traktor problem or a DB4 prob; either way I've made it a habit to shut it all down at evening which I guess is good anyway.

@fullenglishpint what's the send/return idea?
Cliff Lohman
Has anybody else noticed an issue with the vol meters after leaving mixer on for a long time?

It seems to stop reacting as quick as it should and will show different levels for the same looped beat..

A reset fixes but it happens again after a day or two..
Tatum Ansaldo
I really ought to get around to mentioning my send/return idea over there. Another cool thing would be to have an RMX style cut/add effect that you could apply to the EQ, using one of the awesome delays (I suggest ping pong).
Kiyoko Wellisch
That would be so so god damn sweet...
Danae Dumler
Probably not as much work as you would imagine since all the capabilities are already present and in use in the mixer's "mix" channel; I believe the biggest challenge would be interface and usability.
Romelia Stankard
Sweet, I sent in a ticket to A&H. Who knows it would be cool- probably quite a bit of work to implement but it's worth a shot.
Danae Dumler
Good idea; it's almost surprising it's not there already as one of the input matrix options.

One feature I really want is the ability to store and recall FX settings on the fly. I really believe the K2 should be made to do this, and there's some indication something like that might be in the works. The effects would be a lot more useful if I didn't have to remember roughly what settings sound the way I want them to.

The other thing I really really want but probably will never see is the ability to combine FX processors on one channel to come up with new effects combos, and then the ability to save the combo. It's a really nice feature in the Ecler Evo mixers.
Larae Knifong
that's cool! +1 on that.

That would save me an rca cable from the record output to a channel input.

They responded to my post on the xonecommunity s about having a Mix Pad app for the DB4 like my iLive. There's now thread going in there about adding new features.

They added your rotary idea, I'm sure they'll add your master routing idea too.
Romelia Stankard
We haven't had a good talk in here in a while

So I've got another firmware update idea that I believe could be really powerful- hopefully mixarchitekt reads this and I'll send a ticket to A&H

I got to believeing how it would be nice to have a master isolator and since there is no external FX loop routing I had a cool idea. I would love a firmware option that would allow one channel to be turned into a master FX and EQ section- basically you would turn on an option in the menu and channel 4 would resample the master output. This would allow you to apply FX to the master, loop the master, filter the master, EQ the master, and allow you to have a master isolator by turning on the isolator EQ mode for that channel. It would possibly disable the gain and volume fader for that channel or maybe not a master fader could be interesting.

Thoughts?
Joesph Kasian
Originally Posted by ekwipt
Fabric definitely has one

I believe MOS as well

But most of the big clubs have most of the top mixers on hand
MOS always have a mainly Pioneer set-up whenever I play there, although they do have multiply set-ups in-booth so his may be a posibility.

I just believe it is utterly pointless to learn amazing techniques and skills on something you may come across in a club once every few months, if that.
Tatum Ansaldo
Tekki I guess.
Danae Dumler
so who do we talk to about creating a new community for mixers?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Still, every secondary mixer should probably be a DB4 ;P
Tatum Ansaldo
I suppose that's a fair point. Shame.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I don't believe it would be a good idea to have a DB4 as your primary mixer. It's a sweet piece of kit but I believe the main mixer should be as easy to understand as possible- one thing DJMs really have going for them is their easily recognizable layout.
Tatum Ansaldo
Yeh I'm sure the big ones have every mixer you could believe of, but I'd be interested to know if any clubs have the DB4 installed as their only mixer where you'd normally expect to find a DJM.
Rochel Gleese
Fabric definitely has one

I believe MOS as well

But most of the big clubs have most of the top mixers on hand
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by D@VE!
Some UK clubs seem to have them installed.
Do you know of any in particular?
Felipe Rasper
Some UK clubs seem to have them installed.
Dorie Scelzo
The only people I've seen play on them probably bring their own.
Johanna Marckel
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Just curious, does anyone know if any clubs around the world that have a DB4 installed?
Nope... i only see the xone 92..

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy