Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by djproben
Actually I was believeing the multicore cables, which give you four outputs each for channels A and B (two for vinyl, two for timecode); the only way to use them on the DB4 is to take up all the analogue inputs (so channel A is decks 1+2, channel B takes up decks 3+4) -- no room for decks C+D, no room for Maschine (unless you use the Mic channel). Poorly thought out, in my opinion; for such an expensive mixer the cost of a few more RCA ports shouldn't have been a deal breaker. That's why I recommend the switcher - you put all four multicore outs into each switcher and one RCA cable (2 connectors) from each switcher to the DB4, and you use the external switcher to move between vinyl and timecode. Then you can still use decks C + D (which you would connect as you describe).

Of course, if you don't have the multicore cables, this can't be done anyway, since there aren't enough connectors on the Audio 8. But you can always make your own multicores pretty easily.

so regardless of possible firmware fixes to make this easier, and not wanting to use a switcher, would the only way to make this work is to use an audio 10 or would that not make a difference? i do have multi-core cables but i want to get away from using them. if audio 10 wouldnt work id either have to get a 92 or just forget about using vinyl without having to unplug / plug in gear to do so and just stick to timecode...
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
audio8dj_frontback_02.jpg
So i would plug my TTS in to ch a /b in's and plug RCA interconnects into the outs and those will connect to DB4 (ch1/4 or 2/3) then ch c/d would be interconnects to DB4, then i could plug maschine (trying to incorporate this and use it on the Mic/aux ch on the db4) through midi ?
Actually I was believeing the multicore cables, which give you four outputs each for channels A and B (two for vinyl, two for timecode); the only way to use them on the DB4 is to take up all the analogue inputs (so channel A is decks 1+2, channel B takes up decks 3+4) -- no room for decks C+D, no room for Maschine (unless you use the Mic channel). Poorly thought out, in my opinion; for such an expensive mixer the cost of a few more RCA ports shouldn't have been a deal breaker. That's why I recommend the switcher - you put all four multicore outs into each switcher and one RCA cable (2 connectors) from each switcher to the DB4, and you use the external switcher to move between vinyl and timecode. Then you can still use decks C + D (which you would connect as you describe).

Of course, if you don't have the multicore cables, this can't be done anyway, since there aren't enough connectors on the Audio 8. But you can always make your own multicores pretty easily.
Kasandra Kreindler
Well you've got to fill all of the DB4's RCA inputs in order to use both vinyl and DVS with the Audio 8 the way you're talking about, right? So there's no place to send decks C+D. And since Traktor (stupidly IMHO) can't talk directly to the DB4 when you've got the Audio 8 plugged in, you're out of luck. You can use C+D all you want but you can't hear them out of your DB4

External RCA switchers are a clunky but cheap solution - then you can use DVS and vinyl on A+B using your Audio 8 as you would a normal mixer, except instead of switching line/phono on the mixer, you switch RCAs on the external unit.
audio8dj_frontback_02.jpg
So i would plug my TTS in to ch a /b in's and plug RCA interconnects into the outs and those will connect to DB4 (ch1/4 or 2/3) then ch c/d would be interconnects to DB4, then i could plug maschine (trying to incorporate this and use it on the Mic/aux ch on the db4) through midi ?
Tamela Batara
Ha ha. Actually its blue, which is nice with the db4's vu meter.
Kiyoko Wellisch
You don't know your favourite colour?
Tamela Batara
Hmmm. Dunno about them questions personally. I did use mixrchitects tsi for Traktor when I first got it, and it was pretty good. But then I got my reloop contour (cheap) as I liked the idea of a platter, so never really used the tsi again for the db4.

Maybe someone else will be able to answer for you though.
Kiyoko Wellisch
DB2/4 owners! A few questions- When in midi mode can you light the effects buttons via midi input? + if so, does it remember the on/off state if you turn midi mode off and on again? Does the midi mode button send a midi note? What's your favourite colour?
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Delivery today....
Tamela Batara
Haven't thought too much about it. Probably use one for the extended looping control, and the other for triggering sample decks in Traktor or something. I already have my Reloop Contour controller for transport / track selection, so would probably continue using that.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by xs2man
2 x K2's. Although I am seriously considering 2 x CDJ2K Nexus'
what are your thoughts on how you would setup the K2s
Tamela Batara
2 x K2's. Although I am seriously considering 2 x CDJ2K Nexus'
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by xs2man
I only have two timecoded vinyl

Anyway, I am using the internal soundcard. But I am recording through channels 1 & 2 on the soundcard (or channel 1 on the mixer), so they are outputting the mix over the stereo channel for recording in Traktor, meaning I can't use timecode on that channel anyway. So I could only run 3 channels of timecode, and one real vinyl unless I use a different output for recording, which I am considering.

In general though, I find vinyl control over 2 Traktor decks enough. I then have my controller for control over C & D if I need them, whilst still allowing me a further 2 real vinyl decks. I am now stuck trying to believe if I really NEED a pair of CDJ 2000's to go with everything, or if I just pocket the coin and get one or two K2's.
or 2x K2's and a pair of CDJ2Ks
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah, believe you're right really. I'd just set it up that way because MORE IS BETTER even if I never used that many decks :P
Tamela Batara
I only have two timecoded vinyl

Anyway, I am using the internal soundcard. But I am recording through channels 1 & 2 on the soundcard (or channel 1 on the mixer), so they are outputting the mix over the stereo channel for recording in Traktor, meaning I can't use timecode on that channel anyway. So I could only run 3 channels of timecode, and one real vinyl unless I use a different output for recording, which I am considering.

In general though, I find vinyl control over 2 Traktor decks enough. I then have my controller for control over C & D if I need them, whilst still allowing me a further 2 real vinyl decks. I am now stuck trying to believe if I really NEED a pair of CDJ 2000's to go with everything, or if I just pocket the coin and get one or two K2's.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Why not use them all with timecode or real vinyl using the internal interface?
Tamela Batara
Yep. I am running 4 1210's on my db4. Channels 1&4 are running software preamps playing straight vinyl and 2&3 are running timecode.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
What's this RIAA hack I keep hearing about? I believe I read somewhere that you can now hook analogue devices into channels 1 & 4. I'm probably wrong but the option would be great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

DB4 has 2 hardware preamps and 2 software preamps. You can hook up 4 phono level preamps at once.

And so you know, line inputs are still analogue
Elizabet Sledz
Another solution, If you're using Stanton STR-150's.

Run the RCA from the Str150 into the Audio 8/10, and a single Digital RCA directly to the mixer. That way, you can still use four Traktor decks over timecode, and if you want to swap a deck to regular vinyl, use the matrix switcher to move from the Audio 8/10 to digital direct from the STR150.

Same deal with CDJ's if you are running timecode
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
how would i sacrifice C+D? i need those...
Well you've got to fill all of the DB4's RCA inputs in order to use both vinyl and DVS with the Audio 8 the way you're talking about, right? So there's no place to send decks C+D. And since Traktor (stupidly IMHO) can't talk directly to the DB4 when you've got the Audio 8 plugged in, you're out of luck. You can use C+D all you want but you can't hear them out of your DB4

External RCA switchers are a clunky but cheap solution - then you can use DVS and vinyl on A+B using your Audio 8 as you would a normal mixer, except instead of switching line/phono on the mixer, you switch RCAs on the external unit.
Kasandra Kreindler
Ahh yeah it works that way too but it's not nearly as nice as you sacrifice Traktor C+D decks to use it. A clunky but more useful solution is to use an RCA switcher on each channel and choose phono/line from the switcher. I've only found ones they make for video so there's extra ports but they work fine.
how would i sacrifice C+D? i need those...
Danae Dumler
Ahh yeah it works that way too but it's not nearly as nice as you sacrifice Traktor C+D decks to use it. A clunky but more useful solution is to use an RCA switcher on each channel and choose phono/line from the switcher. I've only found ones they make for video so there's extra ports but they work fine.
Kasandra Kreindler
Yes, you can use all the inputs for phono. It doesn't overcome the annoying lack of switchable phono/line inputs for those of us with older DVS cards, but it's pretty awesome if you want to rock four turntables!
i just have two TTs, i just wanted the ability to switch between DVS and vinyl ez when they are connected up to my audio 8, planning on getting cdjs to fill the other two decks
Danae Dumler
Yes, you can use all the inputs for phono. It doesn't overcome the annoying lack of switchable phono/line inputs for those of us with older DVS cards, but it's pretty awesome if you want to rock four turntables!
Kasandra Kreindler
So I'm right in assuming it allows 4 phono inputs?
if this is right, it sells me, 92 out of the running for me
Adrienne Wilcoxen
It's a feature of the firmware (since 1.2 maybe? It's definitely there in 2.0).
So I'm right in assuming it allows 4 phono inputs?
Danae Dumler
What's this RIAA hack I keep hearing about? I believe I read somewhere that you can now hook analogue devices into channels 1 & 4. I'm probably wrong but the option would be great.
It's a feature of the firmware (since 1.2 maybe? It's definitely there in 2.0).
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by DarioJ
I also just thought that if you have a K2 Hooked up and you have the looper section mapped as above you could still retain the looper functionality minus the display??? or have the dispaly switchable via a button on the mixer, K2 or preset values on the K2... I dunno, but I agree with us starting on new firmware talk.
Speaking of the K2, i really wanna replace my X1 with a K2 when i get my DB4 here within the next month or so and maybe add another but i have found little to no benifit to doing so besides the k2 looking better in the setup, im really hoping that A&H or we as a community can make the K2 more relevant and useful (either by itself, or when connected with a DBseries mixer) i feel like the K2 hasnt even been touched on what features and possiblities it can be used for when connected to the mixer or otherwise
Judi Sissel
I also just thought that if you have a K2 Hooked up and you have the looper section mapped as above you could still retain the looper functionality minus the display??? or have the dispaly switchable via a button on the mixer, K2 or preset values on the K2... I dunno, but I agree with us starting on new firmware talk.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I gotta admit A&H have gained a lot of respect for me for how they have been listening to the community and how they are constantly working on the DB firmware. I really gotta get myself one of these one day. I hope I can get the interface to play nicely with Linux

P.S. Is there a soft take-over when switching EQ modes yet?
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by DarioJ
I also don't find it a problem being there. Unfortunately its one of the features that I don't use (even though it was one of the reasons why I bought the mixer). I really believe they need to work on making the looper "tighter".

Actually, as of late (while moving to the rotary functionality) I've been believeing that the looper should be mapped with a secondary function, something more useful or ergonomic (in rotary mode). Almost every other piece/section of this machine has either a hold, press, menu or switch function.

Maybe I am just dreaming, or maybe my understanding of a FULL DIGITAL mixer is incorrect, but here is what I was believeing we can replace the section with.

Encoder turn- Effects timing
Encoder press and turn- Effects Frequency
Encoder hold and turn- Beat/Loop Count via LED display (Release to start counter)
This with a automatic channel selection would be nice.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to have, other then a full blown User Mixer Utility/Tool. The beautiful thing about this mixer is that it is Digital and between the users and developers we have the capability of improving this machine... I believe its time we start brain storming for 2.+ firmware updates...
Your on to something here, its been pretty clear that A&H has been embracing customer voices and feedback and including into firware updates, they want to make it better and are just as enthusiastic as the consumers to do so. if more ideas are voiced the DB4 is going to just keep getting better.
Judi Sissel
I also don't find it a problem being there. Unfortunately its one of the features that I don't use (even though it was one of the reasons why I bought the mixer). I really believe they need to work on making the looper "tighter".

Actually, as of late (while moving to the rotary functionality) I've been believeing that the looper should be mapped with a secondary function, something more useful or ergonomic (in rotary mode). Almost every other piece/section of this machine has either a hold, press, menu or switch function.

Maybe I am just dreaming, or maybe my understanding of a FULL DIGITAL mixer is incorrect, but here is what I was believeing we can replace the section with.

Encoder turn- Effects timing
Encoder press and turn- Effects Frequency
Encoder hold and turn- Beat/Loop Count via LED display (Release to start counter)
This with a automatic channel selection would be nice.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to have, other then a full blown User Mixer Utility/Tool. The beautiful thing about this mixer is that it is Digital and between the users and developers we have the capability of improving this machine... I believe its time we start brain storming for 2.+ firmware updates...
Tamela Batara
I never do, but then I rarely use them at the same time with my style of mixing to be honest. I usually set my EQ's before touching the fader.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Quick question to those who have a DB4. Do you ever find that the effects/looper section gets in the way when trying to control the faders and EQs at the same time?
Rosina Steinkuehler
Inside the driver zip file there was a file called firmware updater. Going from memory it was a dmg - extract it and double click with DB4 attached and click the 'write' button. Sorry I dont have a link.
Danae Dumler
Huh? Can you post links? I updated the firmware but I only updated one thing.
Rosina Steinkuehler
If anyone updates their DB4 driver be sure to run the included firmware updater - not to be confused with the V2 'firmware' this item updates the sound card inside the DB4.
Larae Knifong
Do you have any videos of your in action? Your shows sound dope!
I wish I had some videos to post. I'm always on stage. There was a guy that posted my stuff a couple of years ago, but was told to take them down. I'm sure my agent had something to do with that. She's pretty cut-throat and very pursuasive.

We will be producing my first album this year, just trying to get all the legalities finalized. Then there's all the advertising to worry about. For now I just have to wait... Hence the hiatus.

Getting an agent, I'm finding, is a blessing and a curse. It does allow me to have all the creative freedom I want. But all of this is another topic.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by balakoth
Well I believe you mean more "Out of the Box not in your face"... I dont have any of those issues with Traktor or Ableton, then again I dont use a beatmasher for instance by itsself etc. Effect Chains, Chains in Ableton, the combinations are endless so its suits me I suppose.
im sure having that extra laptop helps you with your FX as i can see some that only have one laptop would be frustrated with switching between ableton and traktor and might cause more latency or CPU load
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
That's just it, the effects are nothing like your typical crap you find on a DJ mixer or in Traktor. It's less in-your-face stutters, LFOs and flangers and more like something you might actually use in production to add to a track.

The fact it doesn't have instant gratification noise buttons helps :P
Well I believe you mean more "Out of the Box not in your face"... I dont have any of those issues with Traktor or Ableton, then again I dont use a beatmasher for instance by itsself etc. Effect Chains, Chains in Ableton, the combinations are endless so its suits me I suppose.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy