Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Yeah it'll work fine, wire it up like normal. Only thing people like me complain about is the way you cannot use multicore cables but that doesn't matter with the A10 or SL4.
So on the SL4 you can switch between real vinyl and serato just like you can with the A10 and Traktor? Is it a direct through (bypassing the computer)? hmmm I did not know this; the input limitations on the DB4 is my one major complaint with this mixer TBH.
Tamela Batara
As far as I know it shouldn't matter.

I have the 2 phono channels (2 & 3) running 1210's with timecode, and 1 & 4 running straight vinyl with RIAA on.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah it'll work fine, wire it up like normal. Only thing people like me complain about is the way you cannot use multicore cables but that doesn't matter with the A10 or SL4.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to double check before I drop a bunch of cash on this bad boy. Is it easy to hook up a Traktor A 10 or Serato SL4 soundcard to this and use 3 turntables? The line/phono shouldn't matter if it's working that way, right?
Jerica Haagsma
I have been using the DB4 for can't get the reverb to function in a way similar to pioneer mixers and traktor. I like to slowly build the reverb on breaks for a more intense build up. The DB4 is good at producing that big room sound, but how do I make it roar like other mentioned reverb effects?
Tamela Batara
Brilliant video. Thanks for that. Now to find
Tatum Ansaldo
I've made a video guide on setting up the send/return hack, hope someone finds it useful.

Lynetta Stanislav
I know you can use the t3 delay in traktor but was looking if its possible on the Db4 .
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by Konix
Are you trying to achieve that Richie Hawtin speed up/slow down delay type effect?
Originally Posted by neilmcm
yes something similar
If you're using Traktor, try using the Macro effect - 'Stretch (slow)'. Maybe map a Superknob with the macro effect and key, or transpose stretch?
Lynetta Stanislav
yes something similar
Jacquie Whipp
Are you trying to achieve that Richie Hawtin speed up/slow down delay type effect?
Lynetta Stanislav
I have been playing around with delay effects routings and settings trying to get delay effect similar to the Lexicon PSP 42 without any success , has anyone got any ideas .
Kiyoko Wellisch
This thread broke the 1000 post mark! Wowzer!
Jacquie Whipp

On a side note I noticed last evening when I press cue for listening to a track for mixing in and do any adjustments to the track or add effects the track audio doesn't change in the headphones is this normal or has it change since the firmware update . Not used the mixer much since the update thought you could hear any changes before.
Yes this was a change in the V2 firmware. You have to set the "EQ" option to Pre-FX now on each channel's FX menu if you want to hear EQ changes in your headphones/cued signal.
Lynetta Stanislav
Thanks Mix is this the way you have the Db4 effects chain setup.
Brant Briski
this is a misconception. nothing has been done away with.

a bit of vocabulary first:

pre= before
post = after
PFL = Pre Fader Listen

the cue system of the DB4 and pretty much all other dj mixers on the planet work on a PFL system. there is a good reason for this - we want to monitor the audio coming into the track before we bring up the fader. any thing inserted into the signal path before the fader will be heard in a PFL scenario. like prefader effects, your eq settings, etc...

when you use post fader effects, the effects are after the fader and thus not part of the pre-fader listen model of the cue. that is why you can not hear post fader effects on a PFL cue system. they're after the fader by design.

if you want to hear post fader effects before they're released onto the master bus what can you do? you'll need to find a mixer that has dedicated channels for the effects return and monitor that signal, with their level muted or all the way down.

this is possible on a xone 92 and dedicated mixing desks not intended for dj use. you'll retain the ability to chose between pre/post fader aux sends, and then be able to send to your effects post fader, route the effected signal back into one of the two returns, keep the return fader down, and cue it in the headphones.

so what to do in relationship to the db4 itself? take some time and learn the mixer and these new relationships that exist with effects and routing. start with the effects set to post fader, in send mode, with the eq and bypass pre fx. that is the ultimate in expressive. the effects respond to everything you do up stream.

do your homework, develop your muscle memory and create a language of your own with the effects. the more rehearsal you do, the greater the rewards on the show. the tools we use for art should allow one to move efficiently. there's no need to over believe it, spend too much time cuing... just express and move. bold moves get the biggest rewards.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by xs2man
Nah, post V2 firmware you could cue effects. I did it all the time as I would assign the source to a free channel and fine tune the fx parameters before applying it to the outputted signal. V2 has done away with this feature though.

oh wow, well they should implement it back in, wonder what they're reasoning was for taking it out
Tamela Batara
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
its the same on my Xone 42, i believe all A&H mixers do this
Nah, post V2 firmware you could cue effects. I did it all the time as I would assign the source to a free channel and fine tune the fx parameters before applying it to the outputted signal. V2 has done away with this feature though.

However, the V2 firmware does allow for post fader fx, so its give and take really. I prefer my fx post fader, but then I did find the ability to cue my fx a big plus.
Kasandra Kreindler
Is this the same on all Allen and Heath mixers or just the Db4 .
its the same on my Xone 42, i believe all A&H mixers do this
Lynetta Stanislav
Is this the same on all Allen and Heath mixers or just the Db4 .
Elizabet Sledz
http://blog.dubspot.com/traktor-to-a...o-route-audio/

I used this and got it working .

On a side note I noticed last evening when I press cue for listening to a track for mixing in and do any adjustments to the track or add effects the track audio doesn't change in the headphones is this normal or has it change since the firmware update . Not used the mixer much since the update thought you could hear any changes before.
The Cue takes the audio before any effects have been added to the signal. It's a bit annoying if you want to pre-set effects on incoming tracks, but it's been that way as long as I know.
Lynetta Stanislav
http://blog.dubspot.com/traktor-to-a...o-route-audio/

I used this and got it working .

Danae Dumler
I haven't tried this but can't you get Traktor to talk to Ableton over Jack (or soundflower) and then get Ableton to talk directly to the DB4? Traktor doesn't have to even know the DB4 is connected, does it? Neither program requires the sound card to be chosen in the MacOS settings (as far as I know).... Anyway I haven't tried it and it's not unusual for me to talk out my ass, so sorry if this advice is useless
Nohemi Arguedas
so I've recently discovered the DB4 is not able to be aggregated in the OSX audio settings...apparently due to the fact that it bypasses CoreAudio drivers and communicates with the OS kernel directly (to improve latency per A&H?). Forgive me if this has all been discussed earlier in this thread...I did a community search and didn't find much, but I'm trying to figure out a way to route traktor to Ableton using the DB4. Since I can't aggregate it with SoundFlower this seems impossible. I also can't seem to get Jack OSX to do the trick for me either, unless I'm missing something. Has anyone figured out how to get the audio from the 4 Traktor decks routed into into ableton, then rerouted out of the DB4?
John Aird
Originally Posted by DJXpoZur
For some crazy reason I find myself desiring the DB4 possibly a 92 with Audio 10 instead but I like the idea of the sound card built in, fx and looper on the DB4.

I have many setups. Rane 62+(2) Denon 3900's, Ecler Evo 4+Rane SL3+(2) Pioneer CDJ-400's, S4 and DDJ-SX along with two more CDJ-850's. I also have a Maschine MKII, APC40, F1 and a A&H Zed10FX mixer.

I have been working on producing more music and I would like the new soundcard/mixer to function as my bedroom studio as well as travel with me to some gigs.

I really like the idea of syncing traktor and maschine (or ableton) together and I have done it with my S4, but I am too limited with the output routing. My concern with the DB4 is that there is only 4 "soundcard" channels. I don't know how the workflow would feel like so I am asking those of you who have similar setups what you believe. My issue with the audio 10 and 92 is that is a lot of cables to fiddle with whenever I want to move it, no looper/fx.

Is (3) traktor decks and (1) maschine/ableton channel enough? I mean there is so much I could do with maschine and ableton that I may not need remix decks at all. It seems that the DB4 with 2 more stereo USB in's would give so much more flexibility.

I love the idea of using less USB ports with XLINK and I am curious if I could somehow use a K2 as a soundcard for Maschine or Ableton at the same time as using the DB4 for Traktor. If it can be configured, how would I cue the K2 through headphones?

I hope someone can follow along with my believeing and lend a hand, thanks.
xpozur
One idea is to map the K2 as a software mixer in Traktor and route the sound to one channel on the DB4. Then your free up some channels for Ableton.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah I was going to suggest JACK but then I don't really know about JACK on windows/mac so I kept my trap shut

JACK is awesome.
Judi Sissel
I tried to incorporate Maschine into my current Traktor setup, but for me, it was too much to add in at the time. Adding in Maschine does give a lot of more functionality depending on what you want it to do and are willing to do (mapping wise). I say this because it obviously gives you its native functions and/or ableton functions, but also lends its self to Midi mode.

What I did to you use Maschine:

DB4 - Traktor - 3 decks
Maschine - Audio 2
Channel - A = output 1 (Audio out) - B = output 2 (monitor)
Output 1 - plugged into channel 4 analog Via RCA
Output 2 - plugged into Mic channel Via RCA

I would presume that you can do the same with a K2 and a set of RCA to the DB4. You may be able to accomplish this with 'Jack OSX' using virtual connections.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by DJXpoZur
Is (3) traktor decks and (1) maschine/ableton channel enough? I mean there is so much I could do with maschine and ableton that I may not need remix decks at all. It seems that the DB4 with 2 more stereo USB in's would give so much more flexibility.
Some of us are still on three decks ;p

Honestly Ableton's so powerful you don't really need the 3 decks of Traktor. I'd certainly happily swap one traktor deck for an entire ableton session.
Vickey Fransway
For some crazy reason I find myself desiring the DB4 possibly a 92 with Audio 10 instead but I like the idea of the sound card built in, fx and looper on the DB4.

I have many setups. Rane 62+(2) Denon 3900's, Ecler Evo 4+Rane SL3+(2) Pioneer CDJ-400's, S4 and DDJ-SX along with two more CDJ-850's. I also have a Maschine MKII, APC40, F1 and a A&H Zed10FX mixer.

I have been working on producing more music and I would like the new soundcard/mixer to function as my bedroom studio as well as travel with me to some gigs.

I really like the idea of syncing traktor and maschine (or ableton) together and I have done it with my S4, but I am too limited with the output routing. My concern with the DB4 is that there is only 4 "soundcard" channels. I don't know how the workflow would feel like so I am asking those of you who have similar setups what you believe. My issue with the audio 10 and 92 is that is a lot of cables to fiddle with whenever I want to move it, no looper/fx.

I love the idea of using less USB ports with XLINK and I am curious if I could somehow use a K2 as a soundcard for Maschine or Ableton at the same time as using the DB4 for Traktor. If it can be configured, how would I cue the K2 through headphones?

I hope someone can follow along with my believeing and lend a hand, thanks.
xpozur
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by DarioJ
I know that . But can you have deck controls (in whatever SW) and use the looper functionality at the same time?

@NoieuNit - I am going to 'try' and finish my 3 deck/4 fx mapping for the X1/F1 combo. If you're interested I'll go over it more with ya.
ooh that sounds interesting, been meaning to make more remix sets and use more buttons and knobs on the F1 also been trying to get FX on my 3 and 4 deck so yes i would be interested!
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
You only need one K2 to control all the DB4 loopers.
I know that . But can you have deck controls (in whatever SW) and use the looper functionality at the same time?

@NoieuNit - I am going to 'try' and finish my 3 deck/4 fx mapping for the X1/F1 combo. If you're interested I'll go over it more with ya.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by Xonetacular

I just haven't felt any real need to get K2s over my X1s. The X1s work great and I hardly use the top knobs anyway so the extras on the K2 don't mean too much. If I didn't already have X1s I would probably get K2s just for the fun of it to have a matching setup.
i have one X1 and one F1 and am trying to figure out if i want to add another X1 or replace X1 with a K2 and maybe add another K2 but as you said the X1 is great, i love it, just unsure what i want to do, feel like i could make use of the extra buttons and knobs but dont know what id do as i enjoy playing on my TTs and not using sync so i rly only use some transport / FX / Looping features, maybe i could incorporate ableton live in using VSTs and other FX that dont make dry / wet with original signal sound better with K2 mapping but so many unknowns guess i need to focus on getting the DB4 before i decide anything else.
Romelia Stankard

I just haven't felt any real need to get K2s over my X1s. The X1s work great and I hardly use the top knobs anyway so the extras on the K2 don't mean too much. If I didn't already have X1s I would probably get K2s just for the fun of it to have a matching setup.
Judi Sissel
^^^ Yeah, but I believe it needs to evolve a little more. I believe (probably wrong) you'd have to have 2 in order to have full, uninterrupted, control over Traktor and the mixer's loop functions. I am biased though - I'm a big X1/F1 advocate .
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by joshmlevi
DB4 and X1
no K2? isnt there some awesome features if u have K2 in Xlink with the DB4?
Maxie Miltz
DB4 and X1
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Eizhauz
Kevz - thanks for the insight!

My other questions aren't related to this thread, will find somewhere to ask those. I thank you for taking the time.
Have you played with the DB2 at all? Any thoughts?
Nope havent had chance to play with db2 but it looks solid enough.. If price isnt an issue, i believe it comes down to whether ud want looper and fx as one per channel on db4 or whether u want the cascade/2 shared fx units on db2.. Both have pros and cons in my mind.. Otherwise, i dont believe theres huge differences outside if the fx layout..

Remember, u can chain fx from traktor into the mixer fx.. Not inly that but if u look at xone fx, ull see many are actually made up of multi fx.. Few examples:
- delays (have filter sweeps/pans on top of delays)
- damage (usually gater and noise style fx)

What kind of fx chaining are u wanting to do? My guess is u can do them (with or without traktor) once u get used to the db mixers routing and fx types..
Juliette Vensel
Kevz - thanks for the insight!

My other questions aren't related to this thread, will find somewhere to ask those. I thank you for taking the time.
Have you played with the DB2 at all? Any thoughts?
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Eizhauz
Just curious if anyone hear uses the DB4 purely in Midi mode as a main controller... or have you tried?
Also, to confirm my reading is correct, the filter system on DB4 is more on par with the 92 as opposed to the digital DB2 system.
Correct?
Lastly, the DB4 is one effect per channel (for all 4 channels). These are not chained? (a nice option on the DB2).

Background...
My dream mixer when looking into new gear a year ago was the DB2 due to its price point - the DB4 would have been the ultimate trophy. Now with it's update both sound even more appealing!
In the meantime to get my feet wet in the digital landscape I picked up a dirt cheap Xone DX, and while it is fun, I am growing weary of Itch, am frustrated that Serato DJ will not be supported, tired of their limited effects (they call that a reverb?!!!) and missed the Traktor's Black Friday discount on TP2 by one day (hoping for another price drop prior to Xmas). I miss the immediacy of flipping on and tweaking effects from my old system, but at least with that system I had effects on my CDJ's and also on my mixer, so having a lush reverb ready was always nice.

Anyone had experience with Xone DX mapped to Traktor? Difficult to map? I am aware there are mappings out there. May require a memory upgrade to my MBP (2+2 mb RAM). I am willing to try this route first to incorporate the multiple effects from its extensive library first....

... but I would be lying if I wasn't still pining away for a DB2 or a lottery-winning DB4!

Please advise.
- wouldnt recommend it as main midi controller but i def use the midi shift mode.. I use it mostly to control stuff on traktor that i dont use every minute.. Like deck tempos, sync on off, deck fx unit on off, key lock on off, etc. but depending on ur playing style - its perfectly suited to hotcues, play cue, etc. too.. But u lose access to xone fx while ur in shift mode.. I believe they implemented midi shift in a fairly slick way.. I also like djm900s for different reasons.. Al midi mixers ive used seem to get it half right.. I believe mixers moving forward should have at least a few dedicated midi buttons and leds if ur traktor certified. Im not a huge fan of shift pages..

- filter reminds me of 92 i suppose.. A bit different.. Maybe a lil wilder sounding

- fx are not chained.. U can possibly work around this i believe (if u use input matrix to feed to 2nd channel to apply that channels fx too). Im not positive tho. I chain from traktor fx to db4 fx.. And the 2 main filters are at the endof the chain if u consider those fx..
Juliette Vensel
Just curious if anyone hear uses the DB4 purely in Midi mode as a main controller... or have you tried?
Also, to confirm my reading is correct, the filter system on DB4 is more on par with the 92 as opposed to the digital DB2 system.
Correct?
Lastly, the DB4 is one effect per channel (for all 4 channels). These are not chained? (a nice option on the DB2).

Background...
My dream mixer when looking into new gear a year ago was the DB2 due to its price point - the DB4 would have been the ultimate trophy. Now with it's update both sound even more appealing!
In the meantime to get my feet wet in the digital landscape I picked up a dirt cheap Xone DX, and while it is fun, I am growing weary of Itch, am frustrated that Serato DJ will not be supported, tired of their limited effects (they call that a reverb?!!!) and missed the Traktor's Black Friday discount on TP2 by one day (hoping for another price drop prior to Xmas). I miss the immediacy of flipping on and tweaking effects from my old system, but at least with that system I had effects on my CDJ's and also on my mixer, so having a lush reverb ready was always nice.

Anyone had experience with Xone DX mapped to Traktor? Difficult to map? I am aware there are mappings out there. May require a memory upgrade to my MBP (2+2 mb RAM). I am willing to try this route first to incorporate the multiple effects from its extensive library first....

... but I would be lying if I wasn't still pining away for a DB2 or a lottery-winning DB4!

Please advise.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy