Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Brant Briski
you'll find using sweep a lot more useful once the new firmware is released, pre fx eq and post fader fx make all the difference in the world for this application. while you're waiting for that you can try to click in beat fragments using the input matrix or input mode switch. but bigger rewards come with fw2...
Tatum Ansaldo
Just played with sampling using the sweep effect in send mode. Set time to 4/1, D/W to half and feedback (expression knob) to maximum. The effect now samples whatever you put into it for one bar, with the input filtered by the sweep filter on the screen.

Be BLOODY careful though, with feedback on max it adds to the effect every 4 beats and nothing is lost, so even if you let it run a tiny bit past one bar on the input it peaks all over the place and makes horrible noises.

The EQ and fader are all post FX at the moment, so there's not a lot you can do with it, but it works. When you're done you have to turn feedback all the way down to 'empty' the effect or it'll come right back in as it was if you try to use it on a different track.
Cliff Lohman
Two ways that im comfortable doing... Warning, make sure ur careful wth levels and shit like that if ur doing this on a big system... Ad dont test it on a big system til ur possitive u can control the levels comfortably and wthout creating insane feedback loops..

Method one: i like this when i want to use rmx for drum loops on its xpad.
1. Xone menu - make sure u set hp mode to norm, clean on, auto mute on, auto cue off
- and booth set to TRIM (this is very important!!) - u need to lay with this to find whats right for u but i use -13.5
- booth also set to source phones
2. Wire xone booth out to rmx in
Wire rmx out to the mic line in on top of xone. Press the little button above it for line.
Change mic channel to CH1 with switch on top of xone
3. Put booth vol on one all the way down
Mic level all the way down and mic channel off
4. Set rmx in and out levels lower than 0 (til u get the vol chain adjusted right)
5. Play a drum loop on rmx xpad
6. Turn on mic CH ON button and take chan fader for chan1 up..
7. Aply xone fx and shit as usual (same with rmx)
------
8. Now, when u want to send xone chan 2 3 or 4 to rmx, u use the CUe red buttons on 2 3 or 4 to do so and take the booth knob on xone up to ncrease its output. Make sure ur hp cue is on cue side.

Other way to try is switch the mic chan to MIX and then u can basically save the trouble of spme things (but u lose xone fx)

Play with various configs like this til u find one that works for ur style of mixing. U obviously have to work around cueing and shit like that so see what works..

@@@warning make sure ur levels are low on all parts of the chain while testing or ull seriously blow something up@@@
Cliff Lohman
Ya, let me look how i wired it when i get home and ill explain.. Took a lil trial to get to a place where i was happy
Sha Books
Originally Posted by mix architekt
there are some tragic consequences that are not being addressed if send/return and bpm tracking are implemented.
Thanks for going through this. And if plugins are an option, there's plenty of routing possibilities inside Live for example.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah, the soundcard works fine for non-timecode stuff.

A&H Xone: DB4 - The ultimate VDJ DVS mixer :P
Mariano Godina
i dont believe its certified but it does work, i used it without timecode and it works fine. i use an X1 and an F1, i believe if you use timecode it doesnt work.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Wait, the DB4 is certified now?
Not to my knowledge - would be great to hear that it is.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wait, the DB4 is certified now?
Mariano Godina
Smart mixer for sure, traktor certified is always a bonus now. Really good fx. Can;t see it being in 995 of dj booths though, it's more for bigger dj's to put on their riders.
Sha Books
Originally Posted by kevz718
I have been using the rmx1000 alot lately - at first i was frustrated with lack of s/r but wound up putting it onto dedicated db4 channel and using the input matrix which grew on me quickly..
Can you explain a bit more how that setup works?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Yeah- I've always wished that people would keep the in built FX unit and the send and return separate.
Cliff Lohman
Well... That certainly answers the question!

Good info.. I dont have a huge need for s/r but sometimes wish i had it.. Was just curious more than anything.

I agree that between the loopers, fx, input matrix, eq/filt, filters that it can cover just about anything onboard..

I have been using the rmx1000 alot lately - at first i was frustrated with lack of s/r but wound up putting it onto dedicated db4 channel and using the input matrix which grew on me quickly..

I never liked the djm send returns because ud lose the fx unit in the process..
Kiyoko Wellisch
Nice post.
Lynetta Stanislav
Would be good if we get a video of how all the different routes work and sound with the different FX
Branden Wentler
if you've ever run a chain of devices with midi clock, the results are incredibly maddening - we had 5 computers all running off of traktor sync over a network with a bpm variance of 5 to 100 bpm! that's not just shoes in a clothe dryer, it's more like space time continuum manipulation in the hands of captain beefheart. even daw plus a midi drum machine and a single synth can maddening if not for alignment delays and the ability to re-edit.
Haha, this paragraph alone makes the read a trip down lol road.
Brant Briski
there are some tragic consequences that are not being addressed if send/return and bpm tracking are implemented.

there is no send and return on the DB4 because it has a wealth of effects for you to explore. this has been expanded considerably with new fx routing - allowing you to choose on a per channel basis pre/post fader, eq, and bypass relationships with those elements. it may not sound like much, but in application expands how the effects respond to what's being fed.

for instance, you can take sweep delay, set the filter to full bandwidth, set it to the longest delay time and max regen, then with the fader down and eq set to filter mode, you can open up specific frequencies on different beat intervals using the fader and have the delay repeat them back at you like a simple phrase sampler. this means you can introduce or break down a track beat by beat; using the filter mode eq allows you to sweep a range and have that answer back. filter mode allows you to magnify specific frequencies, and as you move the knobs while feeding the delay, those tweaky sounds from max resonance echo back. call and response are yours to explore.

but to be more specific to the implications of send and return - the latencies introduced put you into a world of hate. this is a digital mixer, so a send and return chain to the outside, analogue world means a minimum of 2 additional conversions - d/a on the send and a/d on the return. if you are using a digital processor - which most people will be - that will increase it by another 2 conversions.

the result is that if any direct signal post effects is mixed back in with the original, the latency (aka time offsets) will result in very audible phase issues that are unpleasant to say the least (the tops get swirly and the bass goes south on big systems). depending on the type of effect being applied, even a purely wet signal can cause some destructive phase issues that you may not enjoy. relative to your original source (turntable or cd player connected via analogue inputs), there may be 5 or 6 conversions added, all which can introduce undesirable artifacts at every stage, plus the already mentioned latencies.

(a quick aside - this problem exists with analogue mixers using digital effects on the aux bus as well. if your effects are not set to 100% wet, there will be phasing when mixed with the original source. even some analogue effects can create phase issues relative to how they're wired, though sometimes that is by design...)

there are 2 ways to correct this. the first is to apply an input delay to all channels not using the send and return so they are aligned with the post processed latent signal. the problem here is making sure that the offset remains consistent with the processor being used, and then it would need to constantly change the delay offsets to any channel that was then selected to use send and return. the results of the delay change are clicks and pops.

you can experiment with this scenario using ableton live's track offsets as an example. take your existing audio interface, create a send and return chain with an fx processor of choice, return the signal back into a track and then hear the results. track offsets in most daw's have the handy negative delay - which is simply an input delay applied to all other tracks than the one being moved into the negative domain.

the other option as done by pioneer on the djm send and return - is to mute the original source when send and return is selected. but this radically limited the use of the send and return for anything but being fully on and processed. if you want to dub using the send, you're out of luck other than having the track off and feeding back in the processed mix.

we offer insert sends of the ilive and gld for both input channels and output busses. but the same issues apply and in that scenario, we always have to question if all the trouble caused for inserting one processor is worth while.

if you can't sound amazing using the tools you've been given with these products, you've got bigger issues to consider. no amount of external processing is going to make up for that.

to continue the rain storm - if the latencies of send and return are a problem, generating midi clock off of an incoming source is setting up for an outright disaster. anyone who uses midi clock on a regular basis knows what a mess it is syncing multiple devices to a steady source. it only gets worse if that clock is changing in the slightest.

again - two applications on the same computer (traktor/maschine) using virtual midi ports with a constant clock still has you chasing alignment over time. if you take that same constant clock and send it out to other machines - computers, synths, drum machines, etc. the conversion processes introduces it's own warble to the signal, and sync again becomes a problem. and we're talking a lot of clock conversion with DB4 since you'd be taking the input, monitoring the bpm, sending through usb into the computer, then back out over usb converted to midi with more warbles to the rest of the crew.

if you've ever run a chain of devices with midi clock, the results are incredibly maddening - we had 5 computers all running off of traktor sync over a network with a bpm variance of 5 to 100 bpm! that's not just shoes in a clothe dryer, it's more like space time continuum manipulation in the hands of captain beefheart. even daw plus a midi drum machine and a single synth can maddening if not for alignment delays and the ability to re-edit.

even fixed bpm generation from the DB4 and a single computer has it's issues with multiple applications running. ableton and traktor process clock differently. send them both the same source and you'll see them responding at different rates. please try out some of these scenarios with a single clock source and see where you find success and chaos.

as such, that is why products like inner clock systems sync gen are on the market - it uses a special approach to find harmony between the devices and keep them running steady. david has a lot of great reading on his site to educate about the issues of clock sync. please read litmus test, questions, clock watch at a minimum... the whole site is incredibly informative.
Romelia Stankard
Pretty sure they just saw it as unnecessary as the mixer is built around 4 solid FX units.
Cliff Lohman
I always wondered why the db4 was built without a dedicated send return in the first place.. Was it because of the onboard fx? Or does that sort of thing add alot more cost? I never suspected that dedicated s/r was a teribly expensive thing to put in a mixer but i could be wrong..
Elizabet Sledz
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Mix architekt, Andy and I also discussed how to implement a send return. It's still something that's in discussion, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with the DB2. Of course, you'd have to assign it to an FX unit as opposed to having it per channel as it would be on the DB4.
Yeah I was believeing about it last evening . If the Line/Mic Switch is infact a software toggle, and not hardware, it may be possible to bypass the LF, HF and Gain of that channel before pushing the 'receive' signal into the master. It may open up the ability to use channel strip for both a Receive and Mic, but I imagine that a bypass may be unavailable.

As for the Midi Clock on the DB4, Hold Cue for the channel you want running the clock + Tap the Tap button? In the LED Screen, you could have the Channel Number next to the FX Name, flashing to indicate which respective channel the clock is running?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by photojojo
I briefly thought about making it The largest Xone DB4 thread on the internet
well, that wouldn't be wrong
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by JDFS
Question to the mods: can u change the title in Official XoneB4 topic or something?
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
something like that would be good
How's that?

I briefly thought about making it The largest Xone DB4 thread on the internet
Tatum Ansaldo
I was slightly disappointed to learn that the midi clock generator is not related to the BPM detection engines. You can tell the mixer to produce a midi clock at 128.0 BPM but you can't generate a clock that tracks the BPM of an external source. If anyone can believe of a good way of implementing that (ie which button(s) would you press to select which channel is running the midi clock) I'd be interested to hear.

Mix architekt, Andy and I also discussed how to implement a send return. It's still something that's in discussion, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with the DB2. Of course, you'd have to assign it to an FX unit as opposed to having it per channel as it would be on the DB4.

I must stress that none of this is fully confirmed as happening, they're all just ideas. We can all hope that the features in our wildest dreams get implemented, but don't expect it to be next week!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by JDFS
Question to the mods: can u change the title in Official XoneB4 topic or something?
something like that would be good
Basil Forshee
Elizabet Sledz
Just spoke to Andy Rigby-Jones. There's no official release date for the firmware and they're still ironing out a couple of bugs, but they're aiming for 1st November. I asked about a send return and he told me they are planning to implement it using the record out and aux in for a future update, and one's planned for early next year.
Do You have any idea whether they're looking at implementing that for the DB2 as well? Or as just a DB4 update
Amira Gotcher
Just spoke to Andy Rigby-Jones. There's no official release date for the firmware and they're still ironing out a couple of bugs, but they're aiming for 1st November. I asked about a send return and he told me they are planning to implement it using the record out and aux in for a future update, and one's planned for early next year.
That's good to hear, thanks for posting. So glad i chose this mixer over the DJM900 Nexus...
Tatum Ansaldo
Romelia Stankard
looks awesome. sweet.

when will it be available?
Danae Dumler
The Xone: DB2 V2.0 update adds the DB4 features: spatial crossover, Infrabass effect, master MIDI clock generator, and the master output pan control. Additionally, the new firmware offers users the unique ability to cascade the two FX units for even greater creativity. In cascade mode, the output of the X FX unit is routed through to the Y FX unit and any channel assigned to the X FX has dual processing.
OMG. This I need. Except I have a DB4; I assume they will figure out a way to implement this on the DB4 eventually? Being able to combine effects would be massive.
Finally, the Xone:K2 V2.0 firmware and the DB4 V2.0 firmware have introduced an exciting new integration feature.
I still don't trust the loopers with vinyl but this is exciting because it means better DB/X2 integration... Still hoping some day we will have a way to set an effect to sound how we want it, and then store those settings in memory to be enabled at the click of a button on the K2. Hope that's not too far-fetched

This is a great looking update; I'm looking forward to it (not available yet unfortunately).
Danae Dumler
Are you talking about the chrome paint chipping off on the "M"? That happened on mine too, and I've looked closely at 2 other DB4s, both pretty much brand new, that also had a bit of the chrome chipped off like that. It's not a problem it's just a tiny cosmetic thing, and mine is made in UK and it has the same issue.
Brant Briski
sorry, but that mixer is in perfect condition. it's the angle and some reflection in the video. if you look a bit further on at 0:33 you can see DMG is fine. i was just working with that mixer yesterday at the factory, which greg has been keeping spotless.
Kathyrn Sandbeck
Originally Posted by Rexx
You know what funny about this new video? At 0:24-27 the DMG button. LOL
I was actually hoping it was an old unit, but at 0:34 you can see it's one of the newer 'Made in China' units...
Larae Knifong
You know what funny about this new video? At 0:24-27 the DMG button. LOL
Amira Gotcher
Absolutely massive update.
Lynetta Stanislav
Was looking for the send/return feature as well but the rest looks very interesting.
Tatum Ansaldo
Damnit, no send return. Cool new features though.
Kathyrn Sandbeck
FIRMWARE 2.0 IS HERE!

:O

http://xoneblog.allen-heath.com/?Cat...eSeries&SID=50

Xone: DB4 V2.0 firmware offers more creative flexibility with an advanced channel FX configuration, which allows the user to determine where the FX section, EQ section and FX ON switch are placed in the signal path – including much requested Post Fade FX.

In addition, each FX section can be configured in Classic, Send or Hybrid Mode, to create a subtly different sound for each effect type. The new firmware also introduces a powerful new effect to the DB4’s extensive FX library – Infrabass – a low frequency enhancer that generates infra bass energy from the sub-bass spectrum.
The Xone: DB2 V2.0 update adds the DB4 features: spatial crossover, Infrabass effect, master MIDI clock generator, and the master output pan control. Additionally, the new firmware offers users the unique ability to cascade the two FX units for even greater creativity. In cascade mode, the output of the X FX unit is routed through to the Y FX unit and any channel assigned to the X FX has dual processing.

Finally, the Xone:K2 V2.0 firmware and the DB4 V2.0 firmware have introduced an exciting new integration feature. When connected via X-Link, all four of the DB4 loopers can be remotely controlled on the K2, enabling the user to mix between a loop and the un-looped track using the K2 faders, instantly changing the loop length using the momentary buttons, or changing the main loop length.
Loreta Altema
i didn't say anything of the sort - as shown in the video, the first beta of the db4 firmware had infrabass and fundamental on it. both come from the hyper bass algorithm from ilive. fundamental emphasizes a different frequency group than infrabass - which is a sub harmonic exciter. i use hyper bass all the time on kick, toms, and occasionally bass guitar when mixing on ilive or GLD. it creates massive bottom where it might be slim.

Ahhh, the only reason I thought they were the same was because i thought i heard in a video "harmonic *lose me in the technical jargon*" when talking about the fundamental, so just assumed they were the same..
Romelia Stankard
Right- I just meant I remember I wasn't sure if infrabass turned into fundamental but thought it sounded different and initially was hoping infrabass was on there.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy