Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread

Home :: General Discussion :: Xone: DB4- the official unofficial threadReply
Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread
Posted on: 18.10.2011 by Romelia Stankard
(former thread title Xone: DB4- convince me not to sell off my possessions and drain my bank account)

I mean it's just a mixer, nothing I should sell my S4 and some other expensive possessions for and drain my bank account completely for... right?

I am having a hard time with this decision. I know it won't make me a better DJ, yet it gives me the urge to make irrational spending decisions. Please talk me out of it.
Neville Blackinton
Originally Posted by DarioJ
http://youtu.be/qcKycHHHJj0?t=3m8s

I am pretty sure it does: 1-= 4 beats / 2- = 8 beats / 4- = 16 beats (in the LED display)

I'm not in front of the mixer to test if it does anything otherwise, but I am pretty sure its functional as listed above. Now if we could get it to do a phrase, I'd be pretty happy!
I watched the video and he says bars, but when I messed around with my friends DB4, and the LED said 4 = it was 4 beats, 2 = 2 beats etc.
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by Paka Ono
My only complaint is that I wish the sampler could hold 8 or 16 beats. 4 beats doesn't seem like enough.
http://youtu.be/qcKycHHHJj0?t=3m8s

I am pretty sure it does: 1-= 4 beats / 2- = 8 beats / 4- = 16 beats (in the LED display)

I'm not in front of the mixer to test if it does anything otherwise, but I am pretty sure its functional as listed above. Now if we could get it to do a phrase, I'd be pretty happy!
Neville Blackinton
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Thanks for the input, but that's exactly how I interpreted it as well, but it doesn't actually work that way.

Let's say I want channel 1 to cascade from effect X to Y, but I want channel 2 to only use effect Y. Well, I have to turn on Cascade Mode in the global menu first. If I route channel 1 to effect X, it behaves as expected by going through the X engine and then the Y engine. However, if I route channel 2 to Y, it still goes through X first. In fact, any channel routed to either effect will route from X to Y, so I actually can't just do what the manual says.

If I don't turn Cascade Mode on in the menu, then I can access each effect engine individually, but can no longer cascade. The manual, as you also interpreted, makes it sound like I should be able to access only a single effect engine even when Cascade mode is on simply by routing to Y only. But that's not how it's working.
Ahhh...

Does changing FX routing between Pre/Post fade have any effect on this issue?
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Whenever I put my DB2 in Cascade mode, I am able to route audio through effects engine X THEN through effects engine Y.
The DB4 REALLY needs this option.
Danae Dumler
My only complaint is that I wish the sampler could hold 8 or 16 beats. 4 beats doesn't seem like enough.
Agreed - I wonder if that has been suggested as a firmware update; I would assume it's possible and probably pretty easy to do.
Delena Katherman
^^ I believe you might be confused. If you only want the single effect of Y, why are you cascading? The whole purpose of cascading is to chain X & Y effects together.

What the manual is trying to say, is that you can still assign a channel to the single effect on Y while cascading another channel to X and Y.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the input, but that's exactly how I interpreted it as well, but it doesn't actually work that way.

Let's say I want channel 1 to cascade from effect X to Y, but I want channel 2 to only use effect Y. Well, I have to turn on Cascade Mode in the global menu first. If I route channel 1 to effect X, it behaves as expected by going through the X engine and then the Y engine. However, if I route channel 2 to Y, it still goes through X first. In fact, any channel routed to either effect will route from X to Y, so I actually can't just do what the manual says.

If I don't turn Cascade Mode on in the menu, then I can access each effect engine individually, but can no longer cascade. The manual, as you also interpreted, makes it sound like I should be able to access only a single effect engine even when Cascade mode is on simply by routing to Y only. But that's not how it's working.
Neville Blackinton
The whole reason Im in this thread, is because I was at a friends last evening and got to spend a decent amount of time messing around with his DB4 and man it's pretty damn sweet. If I had the budget I would def own one.

Neville Blackinton
^^ I believe you might be confused. If you only want the single effect of Y, why are you cascading? The whole purpose of cascading is to chain X & Y effects together.

What the manual is trying to say, is that you can still assign a channel to the single effect on Y while cascading another channel to X and Y.

Hope that helps
Delena Katherman
Since there isn't an "Official Unofficial DB2 Thread", I thought I would ask my question here since there is a lot of shared functionality between the DB2 and DB4. However, it's my understanding that the DB4 doesn't have Cascade mode, but maybe some of you can still help me.

Whenever I put my DB2 in Cascade mode, I am able to route audio through effects engine X THEN through effects engine Y. However, according to the manual, it should still be possible to only access a single effects engine (Y) in Cascade Mode:

"In cascade mode, any channel routed to FX-X can be processed by both engines, but the single effect on
the FX-Y engine can still be accessed by routing the channel to Y."

This isn't the case, though. When I put the DB2 in Cascade mode and route a channel to Y, it is still processed by both FX engines. Also, using the filter knob for X will alter the sound.

Is there a way to truly bypass engine X in Cascade Mode, as advertised? I've tried to get some help from the Xone community and through Allen & Heath, but I've received no response. Thanks for any insight.
Lita Vavrina
Originally Posted by uncletones
Hi

Was hoping you guys could clear something up for me about my DB4.

When I cue up Channel A in my headphone adjustments to the ISO/EQ/Filter comes through on the headphones, but does not for Channels B, C and D.

Have I missed a setting on the other channels or is this correct? (for mic settings maybe?)

Find it really handy in Channel A!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I have scoured the net for an answer!!

Thanks very much for your help.

uncletones
Do you have your FX settings setup correctly? Make sure it's set to EQ: Pre Fx
Jimmie Pekarsky
Hi

Was hoping you guys could clear something up for me about my DB4.

When I cue up Channel A in my headphone adjustments to the ISO/EQ/Filter comes through on the headphones, but does not for Channels B, C and D.

Have I missed a setting on the other channels or is this correct? (for mic settings maybe?)

Find it really handy in Channel A!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I have scoured the net for an answer!!

Thanks very much for your help.

uncletones
Danae Dumler
You're gonna have to change your avatar. And your name!
Romelia Stankard
so I might be selling my DB4...

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=73296

would still prob buy another eventually I just don't really use it right now
Kiyoko Wellisch
I'll give you
Basil Forshee
Bad idea to sell the DB4, IMO. I had that feeling too, with certain gear. "Why not sell it?" and then, a few weeks later, I come by to use it and am so glad that I haven't sold that certain piece of gear (yet)! Sometimes in a whole different way, with my BCR2000, for example. I used it to DJ with in Ableton, but it just didn't cut it. And a few weeks later, I mapped it to a squelchy 303 emulator in Ableton and boy, what was I happy I didn't sell it.
Yevette Matatall
Bad move, whilst you may not be using atm, you will again and if you sell it then what mixer are you going to use, more than likely a cheaper unit and it just wont cut it. Im sure the extra modular gear can wait a little longer, dont cut ofyour nose.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
man trying to resist the urge to sell my db4

I haven't mixed at home in ages and want to put that money towards more modular synth stuff. must resist the urge, I know I prob wouldn't buy another and would be mixerless....

tell me not to do it
SELL IT....to me
Romelia Stankard
man trying to resist the urge to sell my db4

I haven't mixed at home in ages and want to put that money towards more modular synth stuff. must resist the urge, I know I prob wouldn't buy another and would be mixerless....

tell me not to do it
Yevette Matatall
whats your effects setup on the channels look like, atm ive got

FX UNIT - Post Fade

EQ - Pre FX

On Switch - Pre FX

Mode - Send.
Danae Dumler
Weird; I found the page on it http://xonecommunity .allen-heath.com/for...r-1d-2d-4d-db4 but am still confused. If I already have Firmware 2.0 would this one actually be a downgrade? I installed the Mac drivers and everything seems to be working fine (I upgraded to Firmware 2.0 a while ago). If we're expected to install 1.2.0 over 2.0 why wouldn't they call it 2.1?

*sigh* anyway, everything works fine so maybe I just don't mess with it.
Vickey Fransway
It is an Audio Firmware upgrade to correct issues with USB 3.0 and maybe other things. Check the xone community s for more information.

x
Danae Dumler
So what's the deal with this Feb 2013 file? Is this more or less up to date than the Nov 2012 FW version 2.0? The readme on the 2013 file says it's Audio Firmware 1.2.0 but Driver 2.2.3. Which should I be using with my Mac?

Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 6.38.55 PM.jpg
Kiyoko Wellisch
Nothing DJ related, yet!
Basil Forshee
Well, I'd like to take the plunge. So, I'm preparing to go through a hell-of-a-lot of documentation!

We're talking about it because I also mentioned Ableton . What did you make in Python then? I'm curious.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I believe python was specifically designed to be newbie friendly so you won't have any trouble with it I'm sure.

So if Bitwig is Javascript only how come we're talking about python?
Basil Forshee
Bitwig scripting is only in JavaScript IIRC. Then again, I'm a newbie too so maybe Python isn't that difficult. But my needs aren't that demanding. Just a basic clip launcher, a Step Sequencer and some other basic things, like RGB feedback. That last one is the most difficult, I believe.
Kiyoko Wellisch
While I am a programming newbie the syntax for python seems much friendlier than Javascript. Fewer random bits of punctuation to accidentally miss :P

Hello world in python is
Code:
print 'Hello World'
It's like baby's first programming language

So can you do Bitwig controller scripting in python? I thought it was Javascript only?
Basil Forshee
So, after all my 'adventures' with DJ'ing in Ableton, Traktor and a Pioneer DJM-800 and Traktor and a A&H Xone 92, I've decided that the DB4 is still my mixer of choice... I'm utilizing different setups, but I'm always coming back to the mighty Traktor + DB4 combination.

The only problem is; I don't own it yet. But it's coming, in about a few months.

What i really like about the DB4 are the FX and possibilities with it. It's almost fully MIDI mappable and its Record Out via USB is so clean. I've played with it a couple of times now and am loving it more and more. I'm planning on using it with two Kontrol X1s, a Kontrol F1 and a Maschine. Still arguing (with myself) whether I simply should route the Maschine via Ableton into Deck D from Traktor (which I will utilize as a Remix Deck) or give it its own channel on the MIC Channel on the DB4.

Once Bitwig comes out, I'm planning on writing a JavaScript for the Kontrol F1, since writing in JavaScript is much easier than in Python (from the looks of it). PS what are your opinions about writing in JavaScript vs. writing in Python?

I'm also curious whether I should wait for an update of the Kontrol X1. A Kontrol X2 would be awesome, if it had the Xone-like USB linking capabilities (X-Link) or a build-in USB Hub. I don't know if RGB colors on the X2 should make sense, but it's a nice gimmick, just like on the Maschine MK2.

So who's utilizing the DB4 with Maschine or an Ableton channel like Dubfire?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wait- can you control the DB4 via midi input?
Abram Chapo
Has anybody done this with the DB4 using Midi (taken from another community ):

I am mapping via midi to act like "the bridge" and record mixer automation.*My solution to my original post. Set channels 1-4 at, say, 0db and keep them fixed. Then midi map DJ equivalent midi controls to channels 5-8.*At the end of the mix...*Ext in 1&2 records the live "as is" mix (audio DB4)*Tracks 1-4 record clip firing (done from my monome)*Tracks 5-8 capture all mixer automation, fader, Gain Hi, Med, low etc etc. I then combine tracks 1&5, 2&6, 3&7 and 5&8. I now have the full mix to edit in arrangement view.*I am new to the arrangement view, so this is a great opportunity for me to gain experience with post production and any editing.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
IMG_1384.jpg
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
pics!
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
I'm going to explore every option and search every site for a way to do it before dropping the Yen on an A10 or SL4

Just upgraded the firmware and am getting used to the layout of everything. So very awesome.
pics!
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by balakoth
I would highly doubt it.

HEHE Skull thats why I got out of traditional mixing :P Dont fall asleep with your new mixer!
I'm going to explore every option and search every site for a way to do it before dropping the Yen on an A10 or SL4

Just upgraded the firmware and am getting used to the layout of everything. So very awesome.
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
Got mine delivered yesterday and have hardly been off it. "Just one more tune, one more tune".
Seriously a beautiful mixer!

This windows crack you speak of, any chance that it would work for a Mac?
I would highly doubt it.

HEHE Skull thats why I got out of traditional mixing :P Dont fall asleep with your new mixer!
Tamela Batara
I don't believe it works for Mac because you are not able to change the name of the audio device. There are other ways to get round it I believe, but it requires using cracked software, which isn't recommended. Although I don't really know for sure, as I only use windows machines anyway.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I'm afraid I don't know!
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Or you could do the little trick to make Traktor believe that the DB4 is an Audio8DJ if you're on Windows. It was posted a few pages back.
Got mine delivered yesterday and have hardly been off it. "Just one more tune, one more tune".
Seriously a beautiful mixer!

This windows crack you speak of, any chance that it would work for a Mac?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Or you could do the little trick to make Traktor believe that the DB4 is an Audio8DJ if you're on Windows. It was posted a few pages back.
Danae Dumler
Oh just wanted to add, there's another way, but it's lame: don't use scratch; Traktor on decks A+B and vinyl on C+D; skip the Audio 8 entirely that way and you still have traktor on C+D switchable in the input matrix. But then you lose timecode of course, and that blows. Of course NI could make all these issues go away with certification but that's not happening.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by NoizeuNit
so regardless of possible firmware fixes to make this easier, and not wanting to use a switcher, would the only way to make this work is to use an audio 10 or would that not make a difference? i do have multi-core cables but i want to get away from using them. if audio 10 wouldnt work id either have to get a 92 or just forget about using vinyl without having to unplug / plug in gear to do so and just stick to timecode...
Audio 10 works apparently it's a switch on the hardware so you don't have to have multicores; same as using a switcher with the Audio 8 from what I can tell but far more straightforward.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy