Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HEREReply
Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE
Posted on: 06.05.2008 by
I want to start a thread where everyone can see all the custom gear that has been created by other djs here at Dj Tech Tools. Post a few photos of your set up and a brief description of what you did.
Genevive Shrontz
Originally Posted by Zhao
Oh man.. that is so sexy.. How long did all the sanding take? Jogs still have touch sensitivity?

Edit: Also, what's this additional controller you'll be using? Custom?
Sanding didn't took that long. I believe i was done withing a hour for the controller. For the knobs it took a little bit longer but i did that when the controller was drying from the paint.

The sensitivity of the Jogs is great. You do need to look out with painting them because yout don't want to lose sensitivity so I made sure i sanded al the old paint of the old jogs to decrease the total amount of paint that would be put on the jogs.

I believe that i will make a custom controller just seems more fun
Nydia Jaurigue
Originally Posted by 9voltsoul
built this to go with my NTC. can't decide whether to leave the top row silver or paint them to match the rest.

could u plz tell me where u got these big knobs? what brand?thanx
Patrica Giancaterino
Oh man.. that is so sexy.. How long did all the sanding take? Jogs still have touch sensitivity?

Edit: Also, what's this additional controller you'll be using? Custom?
Genevive Shrontz
So i just finished my VCI-100 mod.

I completely remapped the controller for basic mixing and the use of effects within Traktor. (Don't need the beat juggle functions because i will use another controller for that.)

Next to that it painted the VCI-100. For the people who want to know I did it it:

-Take apart VCI-100
-Sand everything with sandpaper 150
-Sand everything with sandpaper 400
-Clean from dust and fats
-Apply 2 layers of gray Primer ( I used Motip car Primer)
-Apply 2 coats of paint (Same here Motip car paint for metal)

I did not apply the 2 coats of extra varnish. But if you want to protect the paint at his best you can apply the extra varnish.

Let me know what you believe of the color sheme. (still need to apply the button descriptions though)
Random X
Originally Posted by buddha131
The only one i know of is the behringer ddm4000. not really what I'm looking for. Which other ones do you know of?

Edit: found a djtt article: http://www.djranking s.com/2010/07/2...led-dj-mixers/ , but all are over my budget..
There's an Ecler Nuo4 on the Buy/Sell community that's changing owner for $450 ono.

You might want to check that one out.
Wayne Washko
super clean 9volt, minimalistic looks good - don't change teh silver ones
Era Roka
silver looks good don't change it!
Candyce Parrinello
actually it's an a-pac arcade controller from ultimarc. yes, i could do another row of buttons. the wood grain is actually just a veneer that i could recut in seconds, so when i get another set of buttons i will redrill and snap them in.
Percy Keehan
Originally Posted by 9voltsoul
built this to go with my NTC. can't decide whether to leave the top row silver or paint them to match the rest.

i like it, whats the brain? looks like you can add another row of green ones and add leds if u use a midifighter brain.
Candyce Parrinello

Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by djproben
Obviously you can't fit an innofader or pro x fader in there.
I'll send you a photo...
Danae Dumler
if you can figure out what kind of crossfader is in the VCI-100 that's what I would use. Obviously you can't fit an innofader or pro x fader in there.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Just look through different mixers available and look for the ones that are midi capable, there's more out there.
Julio Tewell
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
There's tons and tons of mixers that fit that description
The only one i know of is the behringer ddm4000. not really what I'm looking for. Which other ones do you know of?

Edit: found a djtt article: http://www.djranking s.com/2010/07/2...led-dj-mixers/ , but all are over my budget..
Kim Heuermann
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
He just used the UMC32
Aw I see now thank you
Era Roka
Originally Posted by nigThewizard
you used a UMC32 and a MF DIY kit? how did you connect the two?
He just used the UMC32
Kim Heuermann
Originally Posted by s.craigie
My midi controller made with UMC32+ DIY kit. Really fun project (and very easy)! Props to DJTT for the buttons, knobs and faders.

you used a UMC32 and a MF DIY kit? how did you connect the two?
Kiyoko Wellisch
There's tons and tons of mixers that fit that description
Julio Tewell
Originally Posted by ichitaka
I would like to do this mod as well, and replace the crossfader. any advice on the xfader replacement?
Better question: Is there a mixer with replaceable crossfader that transmits MIDI as well?
Suellen Grenz

With icon icontrols circuit
Kirk Patil
My midi controller made with UMC32+ DIY kit. Really fun project (and very easy)! Props to DJTT for the buttons, knobs and faders.

I love this one! Great job
Charline Dye
Nice build! Makes me wish I had time to invest in a midi project.
Orlando Stadnick
Here is mine... based on a UMC32 (the old one).
Now waiting for some DJTT knobs to replace those (even if they feel great, I really like the soft touch), I want to try the ones from DJTT.

Pasty Klehn
Originally Posted by DJ_Pabloco
@s.craigie please tell me where you bought your rotary pots and faders from. Not the caps... but you know. I am going to build a controller similar to yours. Ive made a sketch but not on the computer. There will probably be a thread on it soon though!
I bought the rotary pots from the hale website:

http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

they are great, super smooth to turn with a good amount of resistance on them.

I bought the slide pots from sparkfun electronics however they are starting to get a bit loose. hale didn't sell them when i purchased everything but i have just seen that they now do. They look better (if looks count for anything!) so would probably give them a go.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I would but I don't use traktor!
Johnetta Olewine
sample decks brosef
Kiyoko Wellisch
I painted the face plate of my nanokontrol

Now if only I had a use for the thing.
Johnetta Olewine
i guess. Plus it makes me all ghetto and shit
Brunilda Kora
Whatever works. If it means taping your gear together, and plastering labels all over it, you should DEFINITELY do it if it makes mixing easier!!!

People get so precious about their gear . I say - hit it HARD with masking tape and marker pens if it means it makes it more usable!
DJ MENSAH
As long as it is practical, I find it cool. Do not diminish your work just because some-other did a better paintjob.
Johnetta Olewine
been trying to find some sort of setup that will utilise the traktor sample decks in vaguely straight forward manner. So I pulled some knobs and fader caps off my nanokontrol and lpd8, taped down some well placed duct tape and went about modifying a few nanokontrol maps out there.

Once I was happy with things I attached the nanokontrol to a couple of steel L-brackets so the whole unit sits over the gain knobs on my mixer for easy access.

Not in the same league as some of your guyses mods on here but hey, I actually use the sample decks now, when it was just a pain in the ass before.

Percy Keehan

@s.craigie please tell me where you bought your rotary pots and faders from. Not the caps... but you know. I am going to build a controller similar to yours. Ive made a sketch but not on the computer. There will probably be a thread on it soon though!
Patrica Giancaterino
Wow, 250 for even more functionality than a mf pro? I will definitely be building one of these in the near future
Pasty Klehn
That is way cool, if you don't mind, what was the approximate price?
I've been looking into a similar project.
to be honest, not as cheap as I expected it to be! I probably spent about $250 US but i would say about $80 of it was buying tools. The case was an old network switch i found at work, so that was free. Just ripped out the guts and filled the holes with putty. Only thing is its made of thick steel (super heavy, but makes for a more sturdy feel!). I had to spend about $40 in drill bits alone because they wore out so quickly, not to mention my drill could only handle about 5 holes on a full battery and it would die!.

although it was more expensive than I budgeted, definitely worth it. If i had to choose between my s4 and my homemade controller I wouldn't even believe twice about it - s4 would be gone! You will enjoy using a controller you make yourself so much more than something you buy.
Patrica Giancaterino
That is way cool, if you don't mind, what was the approximate price?
I've been looking into a similar project.
Pasty Klehn
Man that is absolutely sick!
Wanna fill us in on how its mapped?
Thanks man, its my pride and joy! haha.

I DJ in a duo and we use both this and the s4. I've played around with a few different mappings but at the moment i'm using it for effects and samples.

The 4 rocker switches on the top left turn on all 4 effects units on decks A,B,C,D.

I was using the instant gratification mapping on the 4x4 grid originally however I have now mapped my own version. Starting from the top -
3 yellows are different beat slicer values, black is delay.
Oranges are reverb, purple is tape delay, white is reverse grain.
Greens are beatmasher.
Blues are gater, purple is LFO.

The horizontal fader is effects dry/wet.
Left vertical fader is a build (iceverb, peak filter, reverb) - tutorial on youtube.
Right vertical fader is volume fader for deck D (I keep white noise stored in one of the sample slots).
4 pots(in the vertical line) are all different super knobs i have come up with.
Two pots at the top right are for master tempo and browse - and the white button in the middle is a shift (so I can reset the pot to keep scrolling - have to do this because the umc32+ doesnt support encoders).
Top right white button cycles through deck D inputs (sample, track, live input).

Then on the front panel I have another rocker switch. With this on it puts the controller into sample mode where the grid loads / triggers samples, pots are filters and so on.

I hope that all makes sense! If anyone is planning on making a controller I highly recommend putting some rocker switches in. You can just map them as modifiers and then you can completely remap the controller for each switch - believe of it as a shift key being permanently held down.
Patrica Giancaterino

Man that is absolutely sick!
Wanna fill us in on how its mapped?
Pasty Klehn

Blanch Grainer
My DJTEchtools Knobs arrived today. :-)

Gavin Rachor
Very nice.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy