Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HEREReply
Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE
Posted on: 06.05.2008 by
I want to start a thread where everyone can see all the custom gear that has been created by other djs here at Dj Tech Tools. Post a few photos of your set up and a brief description of what you did.
Kellie Myrum
Sweet! I'm glad you guys are digging it
Random X
Teh sexeh, Stewe!
DJ MENSAH
Reminds me of my early starts. Same story, hideous box, few controls, cheesy paintjob (glittery purple).
The v2 of the unit almost went out in flames as it was high/low voltage(220V mains and 5V from LPT) combo built into an old cdrom case. I still have it somewhere, should follow-up with a image.
Kellie Myrum
Called it Frankenstein - was build out of first buttons and materials I have found in my workshop. This pic is taken about 3 years ago... It's based on gamepad and Rejoice HID to MIDI converter, I made it just for modifiers in Traktor so I could send different states to my primary controller. That was a test unit actually which I've updated with other case and arcade buttons later on.
Evia Nitch
Its awfull, its hideous, its perfect!
Deangelo Boender
I like the looks of that controller, whats the story?
Kellie Myrum
Darcy Rehfeld
Originally Posted by Rukks
Quick question that someone may be able to answer. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to build a controller that I am planning. originally I was going to do it with multiple different components but now I am believeing of 'retrofitting' an akai LPD8

Could I desolder the pots and use push button encoders or atleast solder higher quality pots? Also could I replace the LEDs for the buttons with RGBs? Im just starting to get into this and want to get some parts in house to start messing around....but don't want to completely waste a purchase
What are you using as a brain for your retrofit? You can simulate RGB LEDs with a red, green and blue LED and a bit of programming. If you're ordering in bulk (say 10+ leds of each color) that might just work out cheaper than buying pre-built RGB LEDs.
Lang Abriel
Thanks for the response....I believe I found alternatives anyways thanks to ErikMinekus's spotting of parts. I stumbled on some sites that had a wide variety of parts that I was looking for.
Evia Nitch
If the Leds are one color, you can't drive RGB's. You can however use different colors, but results may vary.
Lang Abriel
Quick question that someone may be able to answer. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to build a controller that I am planning. originally I was going to do it with multiple different components but now I am believeing of 'retrofitting' an akai LPD8

Could I desolder the pots and use push button encoders or atleast solder higher quality pots? Also could I replace the LEDs for the buttons with RGBs? Im just starting to get into this and want to get some parts in house to start messing around....but don't want to completely waste a purchase
Kyra Ramquist
From a few of davydoff's posts I gathered these components:

• Teensy++ 2.0
  • 20x4 character LCD (any LCD with the HD44780 controller should work)
  • WS2803 chips (probably 3x to drive 17 RGB LEDs)
  • 17x Uila RGB LEDs
  • 17x Seimitsu PS-14-KN arcade buttons (these are 30mm, supposedly the Uila LEDs don't fit inside Sanwa buttons)

And I'm guessing:

• The rubber buttons are probably 2x Sparkfun's 2x2 button pads.
  • All the buttons are probably read with one or more shift registers, for example the 74HC165 chip.
  • Then the 4 pots, encoder and fader (seems to be 50mm) could be from Alps or any other known brand.

He also mentioned there's a "sophisticated MIDI-based 2gate-communication to the software", I don't know what that means So it would be awesome to get the Teensy code and at least a list of components from davydoff.
Rachael Tureson
can i please please be really annoying and inquire about whether you have time for a tutorial these days? *dying dying dying* - am beyond impressed. BEYOND.

Originally Posted by davydoff
I have no more time now but i will try to work on a tutorial in january-Febuary

Sally Walkowiak
Davy, you could sell that controller for whatever you wanted.
Janell Selser
Ok, So i said earlier in this Thread, that i was working on a new Controller..

Well I am done now:

Well that was fucken impressive, good job.
Arielle Posso
Originally Posted by MrFirpo
This is my recently finished mod of my Digital Jockey 2. Play, Cue and Cup buttons were completely changed and modified with 12x12 Omron B3F switches, and some led customization was made for better orientation in dark circumstances.

Cheers,

Mr Firpo

this is amazing... i want to do this to my Terminal Mix 4
Valeri Millstein

Well I am done now:

Shit man... You blew everyone out of the water with that.
Elvin Auda

Well I am done now:

would you be willing to build a second one and sell it to me if so how much
Deangelo Boender
The Polish Ambassador posted this video on facebook the other day! I should have known that you would be a DJTT member! Good publicity there, I look forward to seeing what you have next in store!
Omega Janton
Originally Posted by JSM
I was believeing the same myself, and as it's a teensy, the libs are already there for gyroscopes and accelerometers .... if he has a couple of inputs still available .
Guys,

I am really flattered by all your comments,

yes actually I have some inputs left unconnected...
I was already believe about including some more interesting stuff like a Infrared distance sensor...

But I thought lets keep it simple and see if it works ...

maybe in the next version ;-)
Evia Nitch
Well, that's easy! The MF pro is one sexy way of bundling together 16 buttons, but that's essentially all it is. 16 buttons...

I dare to say it is everything the MF should have been but isn't. It's got some tasty performance aids that will spawn creativity. I fail to get excited creatively with just a 16 button grid.

Just look at the Maschine, look at the new ableton controller (and this one!). They make an effort in getting your eyes off the computer screen!
Faustino Stringfellow
Originally Posted by sangesf
dare i say better then the midi fighter pro
I was believeing the same myself, and as it's a teensy, the libs are already there for gyroscopes and accelerometers .... if he has a couple of inputs still available ..it could be a midifighter pro 3D.
Elvin Auda
dare i say better then the midi fighter pro
Evia Nitch
I bow to the bodger!
Kellie Myrum
Great job!
Faustino Stringfellow
I'm also a teensy user, I'd be interested in looking through your code, I have teensy 2++ and the newer teensy 3 (this is good but has less connections, so a lot more muxxing is needed)
Era Roka
No I used a teensy ++ 2.0!
It is not as easy as a livid brain, it takes a lot of code to make it do what you want it to do!!

That would be soooooo awesome, if you could please do that!
Omega Janton
Originally Posted by JSM
I'm impressed with the LCD feedback, how did you do that ? Are you using a LiVid brain? I know it's possible to do with the teensy/ardiuno library, but i've not seen traktor commands on a functioning LCD.

well done!
No I used a teensy ++ 2.0!
It is not as easy as a livid brain, it takes a lot of code to make it do what you want it to do!!

Faustino Stringfellow
I'm impressed with the LCD feedback, how did you do that ? Are you using a LiVid brain? I know it's possible to do with the teensy/ardiuno library, but i've not seen traktor commands on a functioning LCD.

well done!
Tatum Ansaldo
Nice!
Breanne Penge
Looks awesome man
Omega Janton

Well I am done now:

Delorse Greentree
cool thanks. good to know. if you guys want any of ur gear done you can send ur parts in to humboldthydrographics.com
Kiyoko Wellisch
Nah, yours works fine dude, it was some other post which seems to have vanished.
Delorse Greentree
Sorry guys. Can yo not see the pics? Sounds like Toontown could
Shonda Soulier
FingerXpressions - that is sick!
Kiyoko Wellisch
Er- Images then!
Kellie Myrum
Invisible links
Kiyoko Wellisch
Broken links dude!
Brandy Lit
what a beauty!