Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HEREReply
Post Photos of Your MOD Gear HERE
Posted on: 06.05.2008 by
I want to start a thread where everyone can see all the custom gear that has been created by other djs here at Dj Tech Tools. Post a few photos of your set up and a brief description of what you did.
Lakeisha Allaway
Originally Posted by VanGogo
Wow that is some nice work!!!!

What do you plan to map the xtra controls to do?
Thanks! Its gonna look so much better when its done tho.

The upper four are planned to be used as external 4 banks mode.
(Havent really got that to work with the leds yet..)

The faders are FX dry/wet on the 4 different FX groups.
The most upper row of knobs are filters.
The other three rows are fx parameters.
It also houses a Audio4DJ soundcard.

But this changes from day to day as my mapping gets more and more complex.

Il put a more detailed thread up about it when its finished. =)
Charline Dye
Wow that is some nice work!!!!

What do you plan to map the xtra controls to do?
Lakeisha Allaway
Heres a first look at my DIY midifighter expansion.
It uses a Midifighter as a brain.

btw. Its not finished!

Madlyn Trocino
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
yeah it is pretty cool, i have two questions, does it feel strange that the jog wheels are lower than the mixer and are those the jogs of the icon idj ?
No it doesnt feel weird. I do want to eventually raise them to be on the same level as the 4MidiLoop by using some kind of riser, but I've used them live a couple of times at the height they are in the pic and it didnt feel weird at all. Ultimatly I want to build a case that houses the whole setup and everything would be the same level.
Jasper Frostad
Originally Posted by headsdeep
are you multiplexin on this
with a mega?

sorry about the late link on cheamore yah right

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arca...3mm/13138.html

fucking 37 cents each

not as good as the swana but i moded them to travel les

I wish I knew about these before.

I used an Arduino Uno with Spikenzie Labs 64 Button shield.

When I finish up the instructable, I'll have outlined exactly how it all works.
Shonda Soulier
Very nicely done!
Marva Cupid
yeah it is pretty cool, i have two questions, does it feel strange that the jog wheels are lower than the mixer and are those the jogs of the icon idj ?
Percy Keehan
beast controller. nuff said.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Dude, use the default font. It's so much easier to read.
Madlyn Trocino
Hey just wanted to post pics of my new setup.

I recently bought a 4MidiLoop believeing that it would be a solution to the dreaded "Layer" theory that drives me insane while playing Live. Perhaps I stand alone on believeing that "layers" are a drag, but I do believe "layers" interfere with the natrual work flow....especially while playing live.

Anyways I do love the 4MidiLoop, but its not the be all end all 4 Deck solution it boasts. First of all the Button are small and the Play & Cue Buttons are way to close to the Volume fader IMO. Also the Buttons are not the most responcive Buttons ive dealt with. If you dont strike them dead center they dont engage, and even if you do stike them dead center, but not hard enough, they dont engage or they will engage for a millisecond then stop. I can deal with this Button behaviar on most functions (Cue Points, Key Lock ect etc) but I CAN NOT deal with this problem on "Play" buttons. Addmittedly there is a learning curve with these Buttons, but still I dont believe getting use to these Buttons will totally enliminate the possibility that they might not engage. Its not fun to DJ live while believeing that there is a possibility that the "Play" Button might not engage properly when stricking it.

Also The 4MidiLoop doesnt have a good Jog Wheel solution. It does have deticated Endless Encoders that try to act like a Jog Wheel, but it is an Epic Fail if you are used to using the standard Jog Wheels that most Midi Controllers have, mainly because you cant spin the encoders in a constant way, you always have to stop then turn again as your fingers cant continually turn the encoders. For this reason....the Encoder Jogs pretty much suck.

So after much thought and research I decided to tackle the Jog Wheel problem first. I wanted 4 Jog Wheels to acompany the 4 Deck situation that the 4MidiLoop offers. So I ended up buying 2 ICON IDJ midi controllers and stripping them of everything but the Jog Wheels. Then went to EVERYTHING PLASTIC and got 2 Plastic top plates custom made to cover all the holes from the Buttons, Dials and Faders that I stripped out. Once the face plates were on, all that remained was dual Jog Wheels on both controllers. The ICON IDJ Touch Sensitive Jog Wheels are THE strong point of the contoller. I would compare their usability to the VCI-100 Jogs. The dials faders and buttons on the ICON IDJ are total crap and its not possible to get LED feedback from the buttons (even while using the included software). However you can use the included software to change Midi Channels and velocity etc etc, so thats pretty useful. Also if you make changes to the controllers with the software, they are feed to the controller and the controller then stays in the state you program it in without having to run the software again. Also there are several Buttons that have an "always on" state (which I covered with the top plate), as well as the Jog Wheels which have an always on State (Red & Blue) depending if the "touch senser" is engaged or not. When I custom made the top plates, I made sure to make seperate holes under the Jog Wheels where the "always on" LEDs where so the Jogs are always lit from underneath. This is great in low light siuations.

Next I tackled the Button problem by adding Arcade buttons to the bottom of the 4MidiLoop. For the brain of the Arcade buttons, I used a MidiFighter board that easily fits inside the 4MidiLoop. BTW there is PLENTY of room inside the 4MidiLoop for modding. Of course I couldnt fit an "assembled" MidiFighter inside the 4MidiLoop, so I just used the brain portion of the board and soldered wire from the board to each Arcade button and made sure to insulate the board so it is seperated from the 4MidiLoop board.

To drill the holes in the 4midiloop I used a step drill for metal. The trick was to make the drill speed slow and to take my time. But all I used was an adverage drill, no machine shop of press of anything. And for the template, I used the top of the MidiFighter for a guide to mark the hole size and spacing.

The final width of this this entire setup (including the Jog Wheels) isnt even as wide as an NI S4......

Here is pics of the finished project !!!!

Gordon Grissinger
are you multiplexin on this
with a mega?

sorry about the late link on cheamore yah right

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arca...3mm/13138.html

fucking 37 cents each

not as good as the swana but i moded them to travel les
Jasper Frostad
No, I'm in Saint Louis, MO.
Gordon Grissinger
are you in the bay area?
Jasper Frostad
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
God I want one of those hexagon keyboard things... Shame the axis costs so damn much.
That was literally the reason I'd built this. I'd say with everything, it cost about 300 bucks. But the cost was almost entirely from the 98 buttons and 200 feet of wire. It's also driven by an arduino.
Gordon Grissinger
sickness

are you in sf?
Gordon Grissinger
Originally Posted by ToS
What soudcard are you using for this beast?
so i go 2 m-audio delta 1010lts

but i made a neutric patch bay pannel
with a tiny tube preamp for each input

4 xlr mic inputs
12 line inputs

do you know how i can use the control voltage inputs and the digital inputs?

cant the cv in put become a foot switch? or somthing?
Kiyoko Wellisch
God I want one of those hexagon keyboard things... Shame the axis costs so damn much.
Charline Dye
Nice work!

I just don't believe you have enough buttons though.
DJ MENSAH
Originally Posted by tyfurious
WORD!
You can do 4-click flares on a chromatic kreboard?
Aside from my nasty personality, that seems like lots of work, and it is probably fun bashing off those colourful buttons. Tiz nice. Wastefull but nice.
Gilma Marchini
Originally Posted by mist-man
Jasper Frostad
Here's a picture of me testing out my Chromatic Scale Midi Controller. Still in a troubleshooting phase of the project, but it still makes some pretty fantastic sounds with the help a Thor patch in Reason. I thought it would be appropriate to show here, considering my MidiFighter was used as inspiration for the project. 24mm Sanwa buttons are truly the best.

I'm working on an Instructable and some videos of me playing this. Should be finished in about two weeks.

DJ MENSAH
What soudcard are you using for this beast?
Marva Cupid
im your mann mr.drumer.boy
only joking nut man that looks sikk as
Gordon Grissinger
this is a old 1950s travel record case.

the removable speaker box
i installed the midi fighter with 3 knobs 1 ir
i slider
i toggle and 3 other arcade buttons
in the lid i installed a 17" moniter

where the record player used to be i installed
a intel i7 mother board
2.5 tb hard drive
16 in out sound card
4x4 midi soundcard

can anyone in sf help me hook up slide pots to my system please

we also need a DRUMMER that can dj and press buttons or has perfect pitch hollar at your boy

Era Roka
Originally Posted by headsdeep
tec with tube preamp inside
midi fighter real glitchie on the analog can not make them work
homade windows i7 computer
16 inputs
4xlr inputs
2midi ins 2 midi outs
2 tube preamps

i am to stupid to get any slide pots hooked up
anyone in the bay help me out? please
can you pleasse post a better pic??
Gordon Grissinger
tec with tube preamp inside
midi fighter real glitchie on the analog can not make them work
homade windows i7 computer
16 inputs
4xlr inputs
2midi ins 2 midi outs
2 tube preamps

i am to stupid to get any slide pots hooked up
anyone in the bay help me out? please
Shonda Soulier
Originally Posted by HarryHope
Used an old buzz controller as the brain.

I'm using it for traktor.
basically as instant gratification (running controller mate, which allows me to send out extra midi notes when i press button in combination)

that illuminated button at the button, basically switches it from effects mode, to cue point mode haha with cue point 1 to 8 mapped as well as play, pause, sync and pitch bends.

all I really want to add now is maybe like a 4 way switch or a couple of switches to allocate to deck selection haha.

I'll post up a vid of it in action, it's rather fun :P
I've never seen this before. Pretty clever! Where on the Buzz controller are the analog connections for the knobs?
Kiyoko Wellisch
That's very cool
Buster Kiper
I tied it to the cue buttons because I always use a dual channel sound card and external mixer. Volume Faders control Filters and everything else controls FX parameters
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by cabdoctor
That's awesome, did you reroute a button inside to make the 4th one along the bottom? Which button?
Buster Kiper
Aracely Wosick
Just some cosmetic mods, have started to black out my vci300. Was finding the silver really annoying. So far have just used black spray paint and duct tape.
Ardell Semrad

basically as instant gratification (running controller mate, which allows me to send out extra midi notes when i press button in combination)

that illuminated button at the button, basically switches it from effects mode, to cue point mode haha with cue point 1 to 8 mapped as well as play, pause, sync and pitch bends.

all I really want to add now is maybe like a 4 way switch or a couple of switches to allocate to deck selection haha.

I'll look forward to seeing the vid : )
Darcey Kinnett

Marva Cupid
Originally Posted by rutierut
what's the brain???
+1

and what software, looks like ableton.
Era Roka

tada
what's the brain???
Darcey Kinnett

tada
Gordon Grissinger
if you are talking about the bass/guitar

2 arcade buttons(solid red and solid blue)
the blue cuts the bass signal and red cuts the guitar signal

then you know the other 6 arcade buttons are for
kick,snare,hats,open hats,crash and a short loop(sometimes)

there is a brake out box for the floor
i used ethernet jacks and cable it carries 6 buttons and a ground and power for leds

6 heavy duty stomp box type buttons 6 led

these buttons are for
start loop recording
connecting the loop

guitar fxs
bass fx
and the singers,keys,decks,rappers and horn players fx(delay
Marva Cupid
Warning, awesomeness might be to awesome for people to handle, proceed with caution.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
thats soo cool, what do you use the buttons for ?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy