The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by zimfella
they don't look like active speakers so probably lighter. Nice though
could be small active speakers
Leeanna Ayla
I would bolt rather than screw stuff to any of the Ikea options. This means you won't be able to use the hardware Ikea provides, but it wouldn't cats more than a few dollars to buy some bolts and washers instead.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
they don't look like active speakers so probably lighter. Nice though
Romelia Stankard
Wow this is pretty cool, I posted the renderings on Reddit and someone went out and built the design!

This is not mine, but we'll see if he has any issues, looks like the speakers are holding up fine.

Romelia Stankard
Man i still can't decide what to do, what do you believe of the last one?
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by bumtsch
How'd you add the extra overhang at the back ? Looks like the top is one piece.
There is about 3-4cm overhang at the front which looks good its not too much and a bit more overhang at the back but nothing supporting it at the back as it is well balanced and held down onto the expedits. I made sure that it was well balanced before i put any gear on it.

Janell Selser
Originally Posted by keithace
mine cost me less than 50 bucks...but go ahead and spend money on the "coolness" factor...it won't make you better...but you can tell everyone "i'm a DJ"...
Yeah you got me pegged. I spent $60 on 2 of the 4x4 expedits (the brown ones are $10 cheaper cuz they're ugly) painted and screwed them together. The tabletop was built with a cut up leftover bed headboard and used the footboard for the shelf. So for $10 more I have something nice and functional. For $10 less you have an unpainted MDF desk that is currently emitting cancer causing VOC's into your room and will delaminate and fall apart after a few humid summers. At least you believe I'm cool . Do yourself a favor and at least paint it to help seal in that toxic shit floating around in your room.

To the OP if you're looking to hide outlets and misc stuff they also sell these cabinet inserts

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10207689
They have drawers like this also. They also have a kit that comes with a hole cutting drill bit and plastic inserts so you can drop all of your cables down into one of the cubes cleanly instead of having everything running off the side or back of the desk. Make sure you tape off anything you're going to cut or drill into cuz the veneer will chip and split if you don't.
Delila Vandommelen
Originally Posted by Liambo
I then ended up with this:
How'd you add the extra overhang at the back ? Looks like the top is one piece.
Random X
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Do you have any idea what kind of threading the feet use? I'm believeing get a small threaded metal rod and screw the ends of two feet together to make a vertical bracket.
In m-classes you mean?

Originally Posted by photojojo
The biggest problem I see with most setups is height. The top of your mixer or controller should ideally be level with your belly button.
Just a little bit beneath that tbh, in between belly button and belt.

Than again, that's just me.

Just use headphones instead of wave riding it will be ok
LoLz.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by djproben
Actually the biggest problem I see with this setup is, how do you DJ without a FACE?
Just use headphones instead of wave riding it will be ok
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by earl panda
some history furniture
Antiques?

Danae Dumler
This is another idea. It looks pretty unstable though with all the shit stacked up so high on the back I would be afraid it would fall over. Thoughts? The guy is 5' 9.5" (me height) for scale.
Actually the biggest problem I see with this setup is, how do you DJ without a FACE?
Palma Hanslip
Just a picture progress on how my ikea DJ set up was completed

I was aware my speakers were far away so tried to believe of a way to solve it.

Solution being hiding my Techs as i was concentrating a lot on CDJ's..

I then ended up with this:

And my 'studio' area (Now have a RME Babyface in place and soundproofing under my VXT's):
Leeanna Ayla
ALWAYS use glue when assembling anything from Ikea. The legs are a very good idea!!
Romelia Stankard
Another idea using two adjustable legs to support the back shelf and monitors.

Romelia Stankard
cardboad eh?

Hmmm I guess I want something that doesn't use feet. i have an idea I'm going to model up...
Corrin Penney
I'm a bit concerned with wobble and the base of the expedit bending with feet or legs
I got a slightly larger version of the expedit which didnt need feet. It is literally the perfect height (91cm), but sadly they dont make it anymore

Regarding the wobble, its pretty significant, especially when youre scratching. Have you ever seen inside a piece of ikea furiture? Its literally 3mm mdf with cardboard inside :eek:

Having said that, many people have had success with them, including myself, and ive heard that when held together with 'gorrilla glue' they can be solid as a rock.

Another solution is to have a backboard on the unit, as you would with an ikea wardrobe. These really help the structural integrity of the units, and hide your wires
Romelia Stankard
I'm a bit concerned with wobble and the base of the expedit bending with feet or legs
Delila Vandommelen
Originally Posted by Doza
I have the same set up and I placed 3 sets of wheels (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60169977) on mine and its perfect since on 6ft too, no back pain here also there's locks on the wheels so its sturdy.
Yup, I got four of those wheels+assorted mounting brackets when I bought the thing. When done assembling but before putting much else than the decks+mixer on, I tried them on for size and it felt a bit too wobbly even with the locks. I'll have to try it again with more load on the shelves one of these weekends.
Johnetta Olewine
what about lockable casters/wheels? that should raise it up a bit. And make things movable.

As far as bracketing i'd run two brackets per end and probably 2 centre/shelf brackets and see how that goes.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by oliosky
the vertical pieces are 300mm post stirrups from the Australian equivalent of home depot. I've tried using a siingle expedit with monitors overhanging the back and it was fairly wobbly. OK if you have the setup agaianst a wall but not great standalone in the middle of a room.
Yeah I'll probably have this facing out into my living room so I guess I'll go with the double expedit idea.

How much bracketing do you believe I would have to do to get them nice and secure together?

Anyone have any other ideas instead of a bunch of capita feet to raise it off the floor?
Johnetta Olewine
the vertical pieces are 300mm post stirrups from the Australian equivalent of home depot. I've tried using a siingle expedit with monitors overhanging the back and it was fairly wobbly. OK if you have the setup agaianst a wall but not great standalone in the middle of a room.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by oliosky

So there it is. Love the fact I've pretty much used nothing but scrap wood, broken old furniture and assorted hardware to put it together. Sure its not the prettiest, but it has a bit of charm. And it doesnt make my place look like page 23 of the Ikea catalogue, because I know that I'm not an individual snowflake...

Oh and Gerty, that single expedit design with the angled monitor mounts will fall over. I knwo from experience.
What are those metal vertical pieces from/called?

Yeah it looks a little too unstable for me. You try it? I might just go with the second idea I'm just not sure about the feet on it and what brackets would be adequate to really secure the two together.
Leeanna Ayla
The biggest problem I see with most setups is height. The top of your mixer or controller should ideally be level with your belly button.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by tekki
Au contraire:

This is what I used in my old apartment, nowadays I'm planning something bigger.
Do you have any idea what kind of threading the feet use? I'm believeing get a small threaded metal rod and screw the ends of two feet together to make a vertical bracket.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Garygary1
and you dare "xonetacular"

I used to run a 4D and 2 1Ds back in the day

I would get a Xone DB4 but I kind of want a Mac-11...
Enoch Schlemm
Originally Posted by bumtsch
Ah, cheers for the Capita legs reference, I was looking for them in the catalogue a couple weeks back and couldn't find anything.
I'm using a single 2x4 expedit with everything stacked on top. At first, I wanted to put that on wheels but that would've been too wobbly, and I felt it'd be too high.
Being 6ft tall (I could technically rest my wang on the mixer, not that I'd want to, even if it's a Xone) I noticed some slight back pain after playing more often/for longer than an hour at a time recently. This means I gotta raise things up.
Considering using Capita legs which should be enough, but some of the comments here have me a little worried about stability. Not a big fan of adding an extra, deeper piece on top since I live in a small flat and I'm enjoying the reclaimed space from moving to the expedit and I don't miss having the laptop in front of me that much.
I have the same set up and I placed 3 sets of wheels (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60169977) on mine and its perfect since on 6ft too, no back pain here also there's locks on the wheels so its sturdy.
Johnetta Olewine
Here's my stand that i made out of all recycled material while i was "between jobs" earlier this year.

Started with an old chest of drawers that was destined for the trash and a piece of kitchen benchtop that was left over from a kitchen installation or some shit. Found some old broken skate decks that were still around from my misspent youth so I decide that two pieces would make a fantastic monitor/laptop stand.

Actually had to buy some post stirrups from the hardware store. $10 down
But at least now I can mount the monitors at ear height.

Bit of paint. Used an old spray can of satin black paint to create this masterpiece.

So there it is. Love the fact I've pretty much used nothing but scrap wood, broken old furniture and assorted hardware to put it together. Sure its not the prettiest, but it has a bit of charm. And it doesnt make my place look like page 23 of the Ikea catalogue, because I know that I'm not an individual snowflake...

Oh and Gerty, that single expedit design with the angled monitor mounts will fall over. I knwo from experience.
Tania Somppi
I'm pretty sure that's what most people would call a leg, mon ami

I don't believe balancing a speaker on 1 of them would be a good idea tbh
Random X
Originally Posted by Hippie
I can't believe they don't do straight capita brackets.
Au contraire:

This is what I used in my old apartment, nowadays I'm planning something bigger.
Chas Giraldez
two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's
and you dare call yourself "xonetacular"

Arcelia Siebeneck
I know this picture sucks and it's insanely messy but I wanted to share my workstation area:

basically the monitor screen and nearfield monitors are raised up by around 15cm from the top of the desk. They're sitting on a section from an old Futon bed base that I sawed into pieces. On top of that is just some old shelving unit that I use as a rack for studio gear/cables etc.

Yeah it looks really shitty but functionally it's perfect

edit: here's a nicer picture of under the Futon bed base:

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Retrow
Metal brackets on the bottom?
ikea capita feet
Lucienne Stenton
Metal brackets on the bottom?
Romelia Stankard

Another idea....

This one looks more stable I just don't know how I would secure the two expedits together.
Romelia Stankard
I have an idea for a straight stainless bracket.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00054564 one of those, somehow attach two together bottom to bottom so then you have a 13" straight leg with bracket on both ends.

it looks like the bottom is threaded so the feet screw out, maybe if I just took a straight threaded rod I could attach both together end to end.
Romelia Stankard
It looks like it is stable and does work. I haven't seen one with high monitor stands like I want though but found these on djf.

This is DJF user "The Baxter":

"TMorningstar":

"Dj Hi Def"
Delila Vandommelen
Ah, cheers for the Capita legs reference, I was looking for them in the catalogue a couple weeks back and couldn't find anything.
I'm using a single 2x4 expedit with everything stacked on top. At first, I wanted to put that on wheels but that would've been too wobbly, and I felt it'd be too high.
Being 6ft tall (I could technically rest my wang on the mixer, not that I'd want to, even if it's a Xone) I noticed some slight back pain after playing more often/for longer than an hour at a time recently. This means I gotta raise things up.
Considering using Capita legs which should be enough, but some of the comments here have me a little worried about stability. Not a big fan of adding an extra, deeper piece on top since I live in a small flat and I'm enjoying the reclaimed space from moving to the expedit and I don't miss having the laptop in front of me that much.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Hippie
I can't believe they don't do straight capita brackets. I'd just go with the angled ones then and bring the speakers forwards a bit so the centre of gravity of the speakers isn't so far off the back of the overall unit or double up on the capita brackets.
Yeah, i wonder if anyone else sells anything...
Tania Somppi
I can't believe they don't do straight capita brackets. I'd just go with the angled ones then and bring the speakers forwards a bit so the centre of gravity of the speakers isn't so far off the back of the overall unit or double up on the capita brackets.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy