The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Random X
Originally Posted by Michielygil
.. a temporary solution. So are those slipmats, I really don't like hardcore, but they came with the TT's (second hand).
Neophyte, damn son, that brings back memories. :P

I'll be going to berlin soon, a nice daytime mission to get me some funky stylii and slipmats.
Ah yeah, you'll be able to find really nice ones.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Tha Gooch
Did you believe about maybe trying these?
I looked at those but they are pretty ugly in person to be honest.
Janell Selser
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
I just need to figure out what to do for the front, I want to put a clear acrylic sheet in front and put the lights inside. I would want to dull it up though so it is opaque. Acrylic is expensive, prob $60 to get a sheet cut and then I would still need to scuff it up. Is there anything else I could use to get an opaque clear window effect?

I wonder what I could use if I wanted to cut 13"x13" clear squares of something to put in the front of each cube. Any ideas? My only thing there is how I would secure it inside each cube.
Did you believe about maybe trying these?
Corey Tronchin
To get them to fit you can't use the plastic washer right? I am just worried about the bracket/shelf tearing the expedit
true, you can't use the washer. But there's holes in the expedit itself anyway, so a little wearing of the shelf doesn't matter much i believe. And it won't tear i believe.

@poppinjay: I broke one of the bananas so this is a temporary solution. So are those slipmats, I really don't like hardcore, but they came with the TT's (second hand). I'll be going to berlin soon, a nice daytime mission to get me some funky stylii and slipmats.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Michielygil
Those bolts just fit, although it's definitely better to use some longer ones if you have them laying around. The expedit is hollow, but there's enough other forces keeping it sturdly enough (thank you 2 years of physics), plus the shelf is leaning against the wall too.

I wouldn't put turntables on the shelf though.

Yeah, I made the X1 casing myself, so I could leave a lot of wires plus usb hub inside of that box when going mobile, thanks
To get them to fit you can't use the plastic washer right? I am just worried about the bracket/shelf tearing the expedit
Kiyoko Wellisch
That looks really nice! Why the two different cartridges though?
Corey Tronchin
Those bolts just fit, although it's definitely better to use some longer ones if you have them laying around. The expedit is hollow, but there's enough other forces keeping it sturdly enough (thank you 2 years of physics), plus the shelf is leaning against the wall too.

I wouldn't put turntables on the shelf though.

Yeah, I made the X1 casing myself, so I could leave a lot of wires plus usb hub inside of that box when going mobile, thanks
Romelia Stankard
Looks good!

How secure did you find putting the angle brackets through the expedit top? I haven't done it yet but the stuff might as well be hollow and the bolts aren't long enough to fit through with the washer.

I'm probably going to use some longer bolts I got just to be safe...

Also that is a cool X1 stand did you make it?
Corey Tronchin
Inspired by this thread I thought it was time for a new (first) desk for my DJ gear, so I would have my normal desk back for.... well... normal desk stuff.

Here's the result:

Am really happy with the result. Especially all the logical room I have left now for additional gear (perhaps 2 Xone 1d's?) and the height, which is always an issue being 1 meter 94.
Romelia Stankard
I've been exhausted the past couple days so nothing really new, my turntables, speakers, and the rest of my stuff is getting delivered from NY on monday. I'll finish this in the next few days.

I need to look into finding an ipad mount so I can float it above my s4/decks
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by DigitalDevil
Bumping this to see how things turn out as I desperately need to fix up my furniture situation.
Ikea is calling your name... and from the looks of it, you probably live west of it any way lol
May Artman
Bumping this to see how things turn out as I desperately need to fix up my furniture situation.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by photojojo
Ikea stuff is about as far as wood can get from being wood. If you're bolting through you at the very least need some big washers on the other side and I would prefer a whole plate, but that might be hard to find without having to drill and cut metal yourself.
Yeah I have big 1" diameter washers. I may go look for a couple plates I can drill through, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if the washers aren't enough.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Flash101uk
Nice work man, looks like its coming along well! Hows the sturdyness if the expedits with the gorilla glue? Do they sway at all?

Unforunately this is ikea furiture for you. Its not a manufacturing fault, its hollow. 2/3mm MDF filled with cardboard. Ever wonder why its so light compared to a real bit of wood?

Using 4 bolts to hold stuff down and steady is a good call. You'll need some good bracing if your gonna put heavy, active speakers out on those slanted legs. . .
This section felt particularly hollow, like on one of the panels when I put the pegs in they wobbled around while everywhere else they fit snugly.

I'm not putting the speakers on slanted legs, I am using those straight tubes with brackets on each end and bolting them straight to the expedit.

I got some big washers that are at least an inch diameter. When I was screwing those leg frames to the expedits it seemed like all the screws I put in along the very edge of the unit gripped into real wood while the ones in the middle kind of just went through, so I'm going to see if I can bolt through near the edge and I might do a test hole somewhere else to see if that one side really is more fucked up than usual.

Other than that the whole thing is really really sturdy with gorilla glue and it is the perfect height.
Leeanna Ayla
Ikea stuff is about as far as wood can get from being wood. If you're bolting through you at the very least need some big washers on the other side and I would prefer a whole plate, but that might be hard to find without having to drill and cut metal yourself.
Bernadine Kolke
WIs there anything else I could use to get an opaque clear window effect?

I wonder what I could use if I wanted to cut 13"x13" clear squares of something to put in the front of each cube. Any ideas? My only thing there is how I would secure it inside each cube.
you can buy opaque acrylic, you can get all different colours, and you would just have just have to mark a line on the inside of the boxes which is the thickness of the acrylic your using and fix some cleats to just under that line and that will both hold the acrylic flush with the front and give you something to glue it to
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Flash101uk
Nice work man, looks like its coming along well! Hows the sturdyness if the expedits with the gorilla glue? Do they sway at all?

Unforunately this is ikea furiture for you. Its not a manufacturing fault, its hollow. 2/3mm MDF filled with cardboard. Ever wonder why its so light compared to a real bit of wood?

Using 4 bolts to hold stuff down and steady is a good call. You'll need some good bracing if your gonna put heavy, active speakers out on those slanted legs. . .
+1 on bracing 'wooden' ikea furniture.. Ull thank urself later
Corrin Penney

I'm not sure but one part of one expedit seemed like it is hollow like a manufacturing defect so that might be it in which case I won't want to bolt anything through, I might need to turn the unit around and try the other side.

Romelia Stankard
This is turning into quite an interesting project and I am getting pretty involved...

I gorilla glued the expedits, put on the leg frames and braced the two units together. I filled the raw open backs of the shelves and I just need to wait for them to full dry, there is like 3/4" of space that needed to be filled in each one to get it flush. I will have to bolt the speaker stands through the expedit and shelves through the brackets with 4 bolts in each since it just didn't seem secure when I tried running one bolt with a washer. I'm not sure but one part of one expedit seemed like it is hollow like a manufacturing defect so that might be it in which case I won't want to bolt anything through, I might need to turn the unit around and try the other side.

I plan on putting white adhesive shelving paper in the front cubes so it reflects the light better and I haven't decided I may end up putting a piece of acrylic over the front but I have spend enough money for now. I broke a drill bit enlarging the holes in my soon to be speaker stands for 1/4" bolts so I will finish it tomorrow when I get a new bit.
Some progress pics:

light strip will go under the shelf

flip down headphone hook on each side

The legs are rock solid, I was able to flip it over with all the pressure pivoting on the legs and it didn't budge. The whole thing is rock solid with the glue and brackets.

I can't get over how perfect the leg frame is, exact width and with 3 of them each leg is spaced the exact same distance apart across the length

I'm going to bolt these through both ends to be safe

http://imgur.com/ZuWE1&Whs5al&kPbb9&...9p&Uc5MP&2Xxx3

filled in, need to sand and paint

Romelia Stankard
Well, until next time my ikea project is coming together. That's a good idea for the next project. I might at some point make a flush cover for the top so the decks and mixer are sunken in (will prob switch over to a real mixer at some point.

I just need to figure out what to do for the front, I want to put a clear acrylic sheet in front and put the lights inside. I would want to dull it up though so it is opaque. Acrylic is expensive, prob $60 to get a sheet cut and then I would still need to scuff it up. Is there anything else I could use to get an opaque clear window effect?

Loralee Erban
Originally Posted by str80180
Just a thought here guys, Im a qualified cabinetmaker just wondering if any of you have considered taking a CAD drawing of your ideal dj workbench to a local joinery? These days most of these guys have CNC Flatbed borers, which will bore out all the pieces, drill screw pilot and dowel holes with accuracy measured in the 100ths of a millimetre, as well as much more choice and freedom when it comes to colour and size and design, and you can get it in a flatpack from them just like they do at ikea. I believe you will find that you are getting jacked at ikea, not only will it most likely be dearer, it will also be of a far lower quality of parts than your local joinery, and at the very least they should give you a free quote on a flatpack.

The cheapest way would to get a flatpack cut out for you, made from mdf board (sometimes called 'craftwood') and assemble and paint it at home yourself. but customization wise, the skys the limit (if the moneys limitless of course), you could build a circular booth if you wanted, theres some really cool laminates out now as well, postformed benchtops, 2 pac paint, hell you could get granite if you really wanted, drawers, cupboards, secret compartments, you could get your decks and mixer inlaid into the top like ou see in some clubs, just a few ideas...
Same here dude, im a carpenter and joiner. Love working with mdf even though its so unhealthy without proper extraction. If your creative though you can really do whatever you want, I was believeing about making a coffin case for all my dj stuff and insetting the nanos into it but kind of pointless since I dont bring all of my stuff with me to gigs. Surely people have fello dj's that are carpenters, If one of my friends said he was interested in making a dj booth id more then happily lend my expertise once he bought the goods.
Loralee Erban
Originally Posted by str80180
I would definitely take your sketches and measurements in and get a free quote though, nothing to loose by doing that, the new technology honestly makes stuff like this a 2 hour job for a joinery from start to finish. Ikea gets most of there business because no one who shops there looks elsewhere, you get what your given at ikea, and in my experence the local guys actually come in cheaper on flat packs, Support local businesses wherever you are
I agree, something basic like the same shape of the ikea desk, to be cut, detailed and sanded would prob cost about 100 quid for me to make one and take a couple hours. Then all that would need to be done is painted or finished however wanted. Big joinary shops could make it cheaper though due to mass purchase of sheets goods and the use of cnc routers meaning from start to finish it could be done in half and hour if the guys no what they are at.
Loralee Erban
Originally Posted by keithace
Mdf + saw + some thought + screws and gorilla glue > anything bought from a store
I agree 100% no matter the turn out its a more accomplished feeling . plus im a carpenter so I have to agree, when I back to England ill be making a new dj desk for the living room so will have to get creative, I fancy a nice solid timber table, maybe cherry or a walnut, will do drawings first though. loads of people on here seem to use sketchup
Cliff Lohman
that's uh... a lot of swivel arms
Sure is.. my space is limited and I needed just a little bit of desk space for regular 'desk stuff'. I thought about it for a long time and couldnt come up with any better way of having an on the fly adjustable setup without taking up my entire desk.. would love to hear alternatives to solving my space/adjustable needs?
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by tekki
Au contraire:

This is what I used in my old apartment, nowadays I'm planning something bigger.
lol - picked up some of those capita legs when I was at ikea 'just in case'. Looked like they had alot of potential for propping something up + providing more support (at the time I was trying to add a little support to speakers but I wound up using the Erby shelf c-clamp bracket.
Romelia Stankard
that's uh... a lot of swivel arms
Cliff Lohman

not quite finished yet.. need to move my monitor or something but getting closer.. any ideas for improvements?

Im a big fan of swivel + clamp arms as you can probably tell lol.

I used:
1. a griffin dual stand (this surprisingly was good quality and is rather flexible for setting up in different ways) - $69
2. Ergotron dual arm monitor (came with laptop tray) + somebody I know is creating a prototype attachment for it that should hold just about any other piece of gear - bought this used on craigslist for about $100
3. Speaker stands - had these from a while ago for my home theater system + reinforced them with 2 c-clamp shelf things from Ikea ($5 each)
4. Rolodex laptop riser - got from work to allow me to tilt my mixer up + down

There's a spot for my midi-fighter probably right next to the x1 - just need to go to home depot.

Once I move the monitor correctly, I'll be pretty happy with the setup.. I like it cuz I can play sitting down or standing up and basically all the major pieces can adjust their heights for the playing level.
Bernadine Kolke
Didn't believe of it but I have a feeling it would cost several times more to have it custom made around here.
I would definitely take your sketches and measurements in and get a free quote though, nothing to loose by doing that, the new technology honestly makes stuff like this a 2 hour job for a joinery from start to finish. Ikea gets most of there business because no one who shops there looks elsewhere, you get what your given at ikea, and in my experence the local guys actually come in cheaper on flat packs, Support local businesses wherever you are
Irwin Ney
hey ppl, loved the thread, keep the ideas coming... Soon I will need a table...

My wife is bashing me every day because I'm using the dining room table to put all my toys and cables :P
Romelia Stankard
Didn't believe of it but I have a feeling it would cost several times more to have it custom made around here.
Bernadine Kolke
Just a thought here guys, Im a qualified cabinetmaker just wondering if any of you have considered taking a CAD drawing of your ideal dj workbench to a local joinery? These days most of these guys have CNC Flatbed borers, which will bore out all the pieces, drill screw pilot and dowel holes with accuracy measured in the 100ths of a millimetre, as well as much more choice and freedom when it comes to colour and size and design, and you can get it in a flatpack from them just like they do at ikea. I believe you will find that you are getting jacked at ikea, not only will it most likely be dearer, it will also be of a far lower quality of parts than your local joinery, and at the very least they should give you a free quote on a flatpack.

The cheapest way would to get a flatpack cut out for you, made from mdf board (sometimes called 'craftwood') and assemble and paint it at home yourself. but customization wise, the skys the limit (if the moneys limitless of course), you could build a circular booth if you wanted, theres some really cool laminates out now as well, postformed benchtops, 2 pac paint, hell you could get granite if you really wanted, drawers, cupboards, secret compartments, you could get your decks and mixer inlaid into the top like ou see in some clubs, just a few ideas...
Romelia Stankard
wow long day... I got all the parts from ikea then the rest from running around to lowes and home depot.

Browsing around ikea I found some parts that allowed for some big improvements.

For the monitor stands I found something straight to use: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80184241/ I got bolts to bolt the other side through the expedit so I will be using those and a shorter main shelf. I got 4 of them in case I wanted to use two mounting plates on each one and do it like that since the mounting plate uses the same thread bolt as the foot, but I may return the two extras and just bolt through since it will look cleaner.

Now this is a big improvement, instead of using a bunch of individual legs that will snap off I found some metal frames with legs that will fit perfectly. Three of these along the bottom and it will double to secure the two expedits together on the bottom so I then will just put a few metal braces on the top and it should be rock solid, also will look a lot better.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/

The width is literally exact for two expedits.
Doug Bieling
Thinking about it, the design would probably work as I believe those shelves are solid wood as I've got the single stack version of them at my old house. As you were :-) get out and build that bad boy it will work like a charm, and look the dogs!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Tha Gooch
I believe that's a bad move, just screwing those feet in. They'll have to lift up the entire thing to move it around. If you try to slide at all the screws will tear out of the wood. I know from personal experience with my entertainment center.
Yeah that's my concern and why I'm going to do it a little different. I'm going to build a frame from 2x4s in a U around the front and sides with maybe a support down the middle for it to sit on with the back open for room for my feet to fit under.

Wood unless there is a matching ikea part that would do the job but I dont believe so. I guess I could cut down some shelves but I don't know.
Janell Selser
he added the feet
I believe that's a bad move, just screwing those feet in. They'll have to lift up the entire thing to move it around. If you try to slide at all the screws will tear out of the wood. I know from personal experience with my entertainment center.
Breanne Penge

Found an old table with cast iron fittings and removed the 2 legs. I then constructed the main box with Maple veneer and stained / distressed it a bit. I used #8 finishing screws and wood glue to hold the box together, and simply used the bolt pattern on the leg fittings to attach the legs to the box.
I used aluminum rods / bolts screws to create a folding laptop stand.

The bar I made from cedar
Romelia Stankard
he added the feet

Rosina Steinkuehler
Nice design!
Janell Selser
Originally Posted by photojojo
I would bolt rather than screw stuff to any of the Ikea options. This means you won't be able to use the hardware Ikea provides, but it wouldn't cats more than a few dollars to buy some bolts and washers instead.
+1.
Celestine Porebski
could be small active speakers
They're active, look at the power cords hanging down from them

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy