The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Brunilda Kora
That's a nice looking table - but it can't be usable? How can you scratch/juggle with the turntables that high, and that far away from you?

And if you don't scratch/juggle, why use Technics and a Z2?
Corey Ganer
How tall are you?
Allan Kinman
I had been searching for a proper setup for both production and Djing, without breaking the bank...nothing out there seemed to fit my needs, until 2 months ago I stumbled onto this thread. Inspiration was instant and came up with this, just completed today.

image_1364064978804215.jpg

image_1364073457137158.jpg
Random X
Originally Posted by johnnypepp
and putting it loose on the expedit is no option for me Tekki, because I have 20cm of worksurface that sticks out, and I fear for the lives of my little nephews when they come visit, the little monkeys
That is something I could imagine!

Originally Posted by eric.skiba
i couldn't find this anywhere in the thread (it is massive) but are there any parts discussing ikea studio desk hacks?
Please start looking, as I have discussed my production desk hack.
Mickie Pazzaglia
i couldn't find this anywhere in the thread (it is massive) but are there any parts discussing ikea studio desk hacks?
Norris Swartzfager
Originally Posted by soulslinga
You need to buy twice as many capita legs as you need, because you need two mounting brackets on each one to make it work. Need extra mounting brackets for the other side of the capita leg.
So I can screw off the foot of the capita legs, and screw on a another mounting bracket? thats interesting, was under impression from my limited time in the showroom that it was fixed at the end. I will def look into this, thanks.

and putting it loose on the expedit is no option for me Tekki, because I have 20cm of worksurface that sticks out, and I fear for the lives of my little nephews when they come visit, the little monkeys
Random X
I just attached it by screwing it to the shelf that needed to be added to the existing deck.

That is solid enough to put it on the desk, and you will keep it nice and flexible, in case you need to take the top shelf off.
Geraldo Priser
Originally Posted by johnnypepp
Hi guys, Ive got a question :

I bought myself a big expedit and a kitchen work surface. Sadly the straight capitas were no longer in stock, but I took a look at them in the showroom and I cant for the life of me understand how you can connect two surfaces to each other with this.

I know you can use the angular capitas with a bigger bolt but I really like the look of the straight ones, just like the desk they used in the ad. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Geert
You need to buy twice as many capita legs as you need, because you need two mounting brackets on each one to make it work. Need extra mounting brackets for the other side of the capita leg.
Norris Swartzfager
Hi guys, Ive got a question :

I bought myself a big expedit and a kitchen work surface. Sadly the straight capitas were no longer in stock, but I took a look at them in the showroom and I cant for the life of me understand how you can connect two surfaces to each other with this.

I know you can use the angular capitas with a bigger bolt but I really like the look of the straight ones, just like the desk they used in the ad. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Geert
Random X
Here's a IKEA Hacked production desk:

Lai Angerer
Hi All,

I am new to the community and it was indeed this thread that inspired me to join.

I took a trip to ikea today just to "have a look" with the view to recreate the stand built in the original post.

Brunilda Kora
They've probably withdrawn it after all the laptops/speakers/CDJ's that have been falling off of shelfs that were screwed into HOLLOW table tops!
Lannie Kutay
i was just on the ikea website and the capitia angled bracket is no longer sold on there. i called them and they don't have any in my local store.....hmmmm something weird going on here.
Lora Vandewark
I already posted this onto the end of my setup thread but as I took 90% of the inspiration from you guys I thought I'd share my homegrown desk!

I started with the Sefour desk (which I already owned) and added the largest LACK shelf Ikea stocked via the shelf's wallmount and some adjustable CAPITA brackets to take the stress off the wall. Being adjustable proved to be a great help as although the shelf was mounted straight, the adjustments meant that variations in carpet/table height were easily accounted for.

However, the standard Sefour desk was about 90cm too short. To counter this, I took a MIKA computer desk (which has the added bonus of leaving the doors off for vinyl storage and some drawers to store cables and connectors in), and mounted a VIKA AMON tabletop on top of some angled CAPITA legs. This bought everything to the same height (+/- a few mm) and extended the tablespace enough for all the kit. The gap in between the MIKA and VIKA also gave me a hide hole for a stereo amp, powered USB hub and router for all my Rekordbox needs. The gap underneath the MIKA also gives me space for record cases, a tower power supply and somewhere to stash my Saxophone!

The finishing touch was some folding hooks for some headphones, and a RGB LED strip for Maplins underneath the shelf to provide some functional lighting. Oh, and some vinyl sleeves!

All in all, the whole build cost about
Elijah Thigpen
Question for all those who have used the Ikea Capita legs: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...538/#/20054563

These only have the ability to be screwed on ONE end. Does anyone know f I buy twice the number of required legs, if I can mount the screw plate on BOTH ends?

Attached are the current plans.
Elijah Thigpen
Question for all those who have used the Ikea Capita legs: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...538/#/20054563

These only have the ability to be screwed on ONE end. Does anyone know if I buy twice the number of required legs, if I can mount the screw plate on BOTH ends?

Plans attached
Edwina Fagel

Getting ready with a base frame for my table.
Cant wait to finish it up.
Brunilda Kora
30 degrees was a typo... 30 degrees is no where near wide enough!
Shawnta Orenstein
Originally Posted by Patch
Unless you fix that to the wall, it will DEFINITELY fall over.

But it looks awesome.

Why not try angling the 2x2 expedits away from each other slightly, something like this:

Something less than 30 degrees would be good for turntables...
Now that looks nice this might actually look like a solution for me

//Buffaz
Brunilda Kora
Unless you fix that to the wall, it will DEFINITELY fall over.

But it looks awesome.

Why not try angling the 2x2 expedits away from each other slightly, something like this:

Something less than 30 degrees would be good for turntables...
Random X
Worked my image magic.
Rosamaria Bouthot
Hi guys!
This is my setup's plan...TT's in battle mode etc.Might be helpful!
It's made by only IKEA parts.

Hipolito Scionti
Thanks chaps

Hmmmm bit of a hassle though, was kind of expecting everything i bought to just work, bish bash bosh stylee.

How do i get longer screws, aren't they kind of attached to the bottom of the capita brackets?

Will the current length screws just fit through if i add some adhesive too? I'm only putting my lappy on it

Random X
Adhesive is much encouraged. Or going all the way through with proper bolting and metal holed-plates to ensure structural integrity.
Brunilda Kora
Yup. And use some adhesive as well.
Hipolito Scionti
So I'm doing this mod but it looks like the screw bit on the angled capita shelf bracket isn't long enough to go through the expedit top which is quite thick... Is this right? Do I need to get something longer?

Cheers
Mx
Palma Hanslip
Finally.. Only taken a good few years to do this! But the finished room looks good!
Cesar Bores
Ikea just released this video... about time they caught on...

Brunilda Kora
The problem with single depth Expedits, is that you can't have your TT's battle style.

BIG problem for a lot of us here! ;-)
Brunilda Enterline
Originally Posted by Liambo
No issues with this at all. Infact see the photo below is my setup the exact same minus the legs as i'm pretty much fine with the height they are.

If you want better pics i will grab some toevening .
Nice Booth, I'm planning to build nearly the same. Is your booth one or who Expedit depth?
I believe one is enough, but i'm not sure.
Edwina Fagel
Need some help with rack system.
Can rack strip be used so that the gear is hanging like vertically not horisontally?
Lanelle Panarella

My Ikea Dj desk. Simple and very inexpensive.Traktor F1 on the way...
Lou Geopfert
@tekki

The CAPITA legs on the base as well? I'm sure I will encounter the solution when assembling tomorrow after my purchases but I just want the clarification-setting electronics on something and I prefer to have it as stable as possible! :P
Random X
@Levant:
I recommend predrilling and using superglue/loctite or something similar for extra support!
Pam Stolley
Hoping to get my hands on this to work on my finger dexterity

Lou Geopfert
I came across this IKEA idea from djtt.com and have a few questions, and would really appreciate some help.

I plan on doing a single EXPEDIT bookcase, 2 CAPITA leg sets(is this necessary or can I get away with one set of 4? I would prefer the most stable and this item is cheap), one LACK tabletop and 2 CAPITA BRACKET sets(one to connect the LACK to the EXPEDIT and another for the monitors).

My question is the assembly, I am not very good with constructing things.

1)Will the CAPITA legs assemble to the EXPEDIT without any power tools? What do you recommend?
2)I plan on not using smaller LACK surfaces for my monitors. Is it possible to rest M-Audio Studiophile AV-40s directly on the bracket surfaces or should I create a small base for them? If I should create a base, do I get a piece of "sheet" metal from the hardware store and attach the bracket legs to them? What surface should I use to keep them there? I saw people suggesting velcro or carpet material(probably misquoting that).
3)I would prefer not to attach the monitor bracket legs to my LACK surface but directly to the EXPEDIT. This may not create a proper height for the monitors though. Should I just stick to the concept of placing them on the LACK surface for increased height? I like the look of them separate but however do not like the look of 'straight' stands and can't find a good 'angled' leg for them besides the CAPITA and this would give them an equal height to the monitor which may actually sacrifice aesthetic quality as well as DJing ability.
4)How easy are the DIODERs to install, and is it possible to make this look professional? Some of the pictures I've seen are breathtaking but I'm concerned with my handy-man abilities. Would these attach with glue?

Thanks for your reply, sorry I'm a complete dummy when it comes to this stuff. I just want to make one solid trip to IKEA(live far from one) and a pit stop at a hardware store on the way back and would really like to have a definitive shopping list so that I can master this thing on the first go!

EDIT:So after reading through 30 pages I completely forgot to reread the first post. You put a lot of good info on the bolts and such there, sorry for asking about things already explained.
Edwina Fagel
Any tips where to get a nice cheap VU meter and rack ears?
Nevada Edgette
Originally Posted by Liambo
Latest photo of all my gear .. Just finished making the shelving unit to hold the CDJ's/RMX.. Finally my TT's are closer to me again!
Sorry for crap quality (iPhone 5 then resized with Photobucket).

Damn, that's a super clean setup. I want a desk with that kind of space. My expedit is super cramped with all my gear.
Random X
Updated the images on the recent posts.
Palma Hanslip
Latest photo of all my gear .. Just finished making the shelving unit to hold the CDJ's/RMX.. Finally my TT's are closer to me again!
Sorry for crap quality (iPhone 5 then resized with Photobucket).

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy