The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Doza
is it possible to take a pic of the back of the stand to see how did you place the brackets?
you mean the capita brackets? I can't speak for him but I got some longer bolts from lowes (metric) and some washers and plates to secure it firmly. the included bolts are too short to fit any washer on too so I just wanted to be more secure.

Enoch Schlemm
Originally Posted by Michielygil
Inspired by this thread I thought it was time for a new (first) desk for my DJ gear, so I would have my normal desk back for.... well... normal desk stuff.

Here's the result:

Am really happy with the result. Especially all the logical room I have left now for additional gear (perhaps 2 Xone 1d's?) and the height, which is always an issue being 1 meter 94.
is it possible to take a pic of the back of the stand to see how did you place the brackets?
Cecily Mcgrady
Originally Posted by earl panda
i own an old secretary desk from the stasi (secret police in the gdr). you can elevate the middle section of it (there was typewriter under the plate that you could elevate so the upper plate goes up and this is where my mixer is) . pretty comfy, no back pain and some history furniture
You might also find some bonus microphones, if you are looking hard enough...
Romelia Stankard
finally found my real camera

Catalina Mickelsen
Ok guys so I went to Ikea and bought the bits and did it.i have some tips firstly by the single bookshelfs,they are only
Makkins Clifton
Hey V-Hoff,
Sounds good, let's do this!
Articles also summarize the information of a thread. No one really wants to dig through 17 pages nowadays.

@Tekki:
What's her name dude?
Random X
Hey Hedgey, my daughter wants credit for displaying her pink laptop.
Irwin Ney
Great post Hedge!
I wish you could find all those good community threads and make a post of each one of them... It's a waste to the general audience keep loosing such great info for not reading our community s as it seems to have soo much more info here than on the blog.
Makkins Clifton
@Ashigari: Xone used these studio monitor stands http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I put together a blogpost to make it available to a bigger audience.
If you weren't credited in the blogpost please send me a PM.

These are pictures of my DIY-desk:

Patty Mcgilbra
Xone: Did you just put the monitors on top of the wood plate or did you use any way to secure them there? I'd like to mount my KRK 5's like that but prefered if they wouldn't fall off (also being able to turn them around would be nice as I often play for some friends)
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Come on kids
So xonetacular... Can you give us a final run down of everything you used and price all together?
Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this model: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mout on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand you can bolt and screw in
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates.

optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

from lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. I forget the exact size but bring the capita bracket along and remember it is metric and the longest they have. You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through.

then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want somebrackets to secure the expedits together

oh and the headphone hooks which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/
Bula Ath
So xonetacular... Can you give us a final run down of everything you used and price all together?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Timmyboy
@Xonetacular

How did you attach the metal frames to the bottom of the expedit units?
I drilled about 8 extra holes in each frame (it is thin metal, easy to drill through), then just screwed it in with some extra screws. It only really screws in well along the edges of the expedits since the middle is hollow but is very secure.
Jonathan Lokey
@Xonetacular

How did you attach the metal frames to the bottom of the expedit units?
Roseline Canright
I'm going to have some pictures for you all hopefully by tmrw.
I'm making a table from all recycled wood i have laying around.

Build log-
3 panels of MDF
1 inch in diameter, dowel rods
5- 4 ft 2x4's

I made a coffin out of the MDF
Used the dowel rods to create a laptop stand.
Installing a blacklight underneath the coffin, and going to find some led's for under the laptop stand.

hoping to finish tmrw for y'all
Mariano Godina
I actually have my 2 X1's sitting on top of one of the X1 boxes, and my djm 900 next to them ontop of the other box - both boxes are wrapped in black cloth and well hidden, so the mixer and X1's look like they're floating.

Then i made myself a laptop stand for my mbp which sits next to them on the left.

I'll have to take a pic and post it.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by bartboy
Nice job Xone, I'm wondering what hook/braket that is that you used for the headphones.

Also the is 2 Expedit bookcases correct?
yeah it is two

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/
Halley Wurzer
Originally Posted by GeekGod
You all are making me jealous with these Ikea setups.. They look fantastic!

Wish there was a Ikea nearby.. Ordering these parts on the web store will cost more to ship than the actual parts themselves.
Westshester bra
Dana Ordinario
Nice job Xone, I'm wondering what hook/braket that is that you used for the headphones.

Also the is 2 Expedit bookcases correct?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by papo218
Sorry to go off topic, but both of you guys are from Miami?(Xonetacular/JoseIglesMusic)

I live in Miami too. Raised in Hialeah!

......and currently my setup is on a domino table!!!! LMAO
I'm actually in palm beach county. I'll probably be moving further south next year but I work in boca.
Rosina Steinkuehler
You all are making me jealous with these Ikea setups.. They look fantastic!

Wish there was a Ikea nearby.. Ordering these parts on the web store will cost more to ship than the actual parts themselves.
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by JoseIglesMusic
I saw that you lived in south florida so ... go to hialeah find on of those shitty dollar stores and get some domino tables they work perfectly for me
Sorry to go off topic, but both of you guys are from Miami?(Xonetacular/JoseIglesMusic)

I live in Miami too. Raised in Hialeah!

......and currently my setup is on a domino table!!!! LMAO
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
UPDATE:

everything is rock solid, speakers are damn sturdy
Nice job, Xonetacular.

Looks great!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Flash101uk
very sexy, man. What did you use for the LED lights under the shelf?
3x Ikea full color spectrum Dioder light kits. Each kit has 4 strips. I have one strip in each cube, 3 under the shelf,, and 1 under the S4. I have the light controls mounted in the front cube so I can change it up.
Corrin Penney
very sexy, man. What did you use for the LED lights under the shelf?
Carmelia Biven
Real nice man.
Kalyn Billodeau
Looks great!
Romelia Stankard
UPDATE:

everything is rock solid, speakers are damn sturdy

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe some industrial strength velcro on the bottom of the rockets would help to keep them from sliding. Just speculation though, if they get bumped they're coming down.
They don't slide at all. The KRKs have foam on the bottom and the metal top plate has foam on it. The top plate is from some floor monitor stands. The only way they are coming down is if they are pushed off deliberately. I would be more worried about the poll putting stress on the flimsy expedit top...

Not far in for solidness. You could bolt it straight through which should hold it. Hows the vibration coming down those poles? I have something similar but mine is made from a solid wood desk I used just threaded pipes and flanges to put up a single 4 ft wide shelf that houses 2 KRK8's and iMac. It's what I use at home but I get a little vibration coming through on my turntables.

I've never noticed any vibration. I run them through a sub on the floor which cuts the lows to the speakers out so I'm sure that helps.
Hillary Razdan
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
I saw that you lived in south florida so ... go to hialeah find on of those shitty dollar stores and get some domino tables they work perfectly for me
Loralee Erban
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe some industrial strength velcro on the bottom of the rockets would help to keep them from sliding. Just speculation though, if they get bumped they're coming down.
even carpet underlay might work well, and its sound isolation will be a bit better, wont vibrate completely through the unit, i used to have this stuck to the bottom of my old bass amp since I was playing a gig and kicked it off stage due to there being no rubber feet on it.
Leeanna Ayla
Dana Ordinario
Not far in for solidness. You could bolt it straight through which should hold it. Hows the vibration coming down those poles? I have something similar but mine is made from a solid wood desk I used just threaded pipes and flanges to put up a single 4 ft wide shelf that houses 2 KRK8's and iMac. It's what I use at home but I get a little vibration coming through on my turntables.
Romelia Stankard
If you've never seen a cross section of IKEA furniture I must warn you they are made from next to nothing. It's like a cross hatch of particle board. Most pieces are not solid particle board all the way through. Think of a cardboard box. If you peel of the top layer you see the little bumps then another solid plane. Thats what most of their furniture is built like. It makes it light and cheap to produce.

That's not say that is how all their pieces are manufactured but I guarantee if a piece is more than 2 inches thick it is made this way.
Yeah I am aware and it is unfortunate. It looks like my only option is to bolt through. I wish I did have a cross section of the top so i could see how far into the edge it is solid. That or I do something more involved to mount it which I'm not sure how I would do it.
Dana Ordinario
If you've never seen a cross section of IKEA furniture I must warn you they are made from next to nothing. It's like a cross hatch of particle board. Most pieces are not solid particle board all the way through. Think of a cardboard box. If you peel of the top layer you see the little bumps then another solid plane. Thats what most of their furniture is built like. It makes it light and cheap to produce.

That's not say that is how all their pieces are manufactured but I guarantee if a piece is more than 2 inches thick it is made this way.
Romelia Stankard
I'm going to go with this, just have to decide where to bolt through, I've got some inch washers for the bottom or I could use the same exact plate I can put on the bottom but ti would be hard to drill exactly straight down to get that to line up.. It was sturdy with those dinky clamps so I am confident it will work fine.

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Flash101uk
mounting those heavy rokits on long stands is gonna be precarious, especially on ikea stuff. How about getting separate, floor stands or wall mounts?
I definitely don't want to do floor stands. I have two length options available to try. One is similar and slightly shorter than the pipe in the pic and one is a bit shorter.

If I was screwing into something solid it wouldn't be an issue. I wish I could see a cross section of one of the ikea boards, I know the edges must have solid particle board or something and if I could get a secure mount it would be perfect.

Another option would be to glue/screw two shelves vertically for each speaker so you would have two columns holding up each one.
Corrin Penney
mounting those heavy rokits on long stands is gonna be precarious, especially on ikea stuff. How about getting separate, floor stands or wall mounts?
Romelia Stankard
still have been unpacking and no time to mount the speakers or shelves but i have been improvising

Romelia Stankard
Wow I just got all my furniture, turntables, vinyl, speakers, and gear from NY this morning.

I forgot just how big and awesome the KRK rokkit 8s are with the subwoofer. I haven't had a nice home setup like I was used to in like a year and it is some pure ear pleasure to practice with real subbass and vinyl.

I am wondering what to do with the monitors they are bigger than I remember and heavy. On my old desk I mounted them on metal pipe flanges but that desk was real wood. I believe I'm going to try to bolt through and then use these metal tops to bolt into the top of the table leg, hopefully it will be sturdy enough.

my old monitor stands which I now have (pics from my old setup)

I wish it was as simple as screwing into the expedit like that but for all intents and purposes I have to consider it hollow, so that means bolting through or my other option is getting a square of plywood or screwing into the lack shelves which would rest on top of the expedit with the stands so they wouldn't put any pressure on the expedit itself. I'm going to see if I can bolt the top metal speaker stand part to the ikea leg and see what happens.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy