The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Edwina Fagel
Few more work days and I'm finished with my table.
Suprisingly it turns out that I'm handling the woodworking stuff pretty good and I can't wait to share the results.
It really is something like Ikea Expedit Deluxe Edition. Haven't had so much fun for a while at DIYing.

Also, has anyone seen something like RCA female-to-female wall plate?

Something like this, but with female on both sides.
Brunilda Kora
Nice work, 0Notice.
Valeri Millstein
Built my own!

Sha Westermeyer
ikea rocks
i used this idea:
http://www.behance.net/gallery/DIY-IKEA-DJ-Booth/741519

and i put the top on one expedit unit and i have a nice dj booth in white
Betsey Mccollom
Hi Guys,

I was a bit sick of using my old office desk with a box on it for my Bedroom DJ Set up and so was searching online for some inspiration (IKEA, Office World, HomeBase, Argos)

I thought I would share what I found was a cheap and cheerful way to get what I believe looks pretty decent for a put together in an hour job!

I Used a plain black Vika Table top (
Toshia Gamper
Looks like i will be going to Ikea this weekend WITHOUT the wife
Elizabet Sledz
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/12...ent-workspace/ I saw this pop up on Lifehacker today and thought it was a pretty cool Ikea Desk hack
Linnie Picchi
Just put mine together last weekend. Used an existing desk it had and made my own top out of a 60"x17" piece of plywood, some scrap pieces from an old Harbor Freight car port and a piece of sheet metal from a Craftsman tool box. Combined that with some misc hardware and a couple strips of Velcro to secure my sound card and USB hub. Oh and a piece of vinyl for a mat on my laptop stand. All in all it was no more than an hour labor and $0 invested in materials as it was all stuff I had laying around.

Armando Chrystal
Originally Posted by funkytude
Thanks for providing brilliant ideas. Here's my contribution to the cause. Used
- 2 x IkeaExpedit: one as base and vinyl holder, the other as top bench. Other ad-hoc cuts to reinforce the LACK TV, hide the cable mess behind and create a bit rough but solid CDJ holders.
- 1 x Ikea LACK TV Table.
- 4 x Ikea Capita legs.

One comment: it's just slightly high for me (6.1 feet tall). If I had to redo everything from scratch, I'd remove the bottom part of the Lack table to have it overall 5 cm shorter. But the monitors height is perfect!
Attachment 13383Attachment 13384Attachment 13385
thats exactly how I need mine can you link that extra piece on top of the expedit? thanks
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by cheef
It's exactly the same as the one on the DJTT Ikea build page (shown in white on the image), aside from the shorter shelf and the addition of the straight Capita legs at the rear of the monitor stands.

The laptop stand I got from Amazon. It's a heavy beast, extremely well built.

sweet cool to see that one actually worked out like that
Kerstin Kurko
Thanks for providing brilliant ideas. Here's my contribution to the cause. Used
- 2 x IkeaExpedit: one as base and vinyl holder, the other as top bench. Other ad-hoc cuts to reinforce the LACK TV, hide the cable mess behind and create a bit rough but solid CDJ holders.
- 1 x Ikea LACK TV Table.
- 4 x Ikea Capita legs.

One comment: it's just slightly high for me (6.1 feet tall). If I had to redo everything from scratch, I'd remove the bottom part of the Lack table to have it overall 5 cm shorter. But the monitors height is perfect!
Edwina Fagel

Finaly bought some wood. 100€ for almost real wood for the whole desk.
Superb deal.
Hulda Ramprasad
Originally Posted by 0Notice
Cheef, I recently found you on Youtube, I thought your set up was super legit. Its kind of interesting to see you here too. I feel like a stalker.
Been posting stuff on there since the turn of the year. Yea the gear is great fun....
Hulda Ramprasad
Originally Posted by GullyB
You have a full product list? Including the laptop holder... Dope build.
It's exactly the same as the one on the DJTT Ikea build page (shown in white on the image), aside from the shorter shelf and the addition of the straight Capita legs at the rear of the monitor stands.

The laptop stand I got from Amazon. It's a heavy beast, extremely well built.
Valeri Millstein
Here's my home Ikea Expedit offering that I put together a few days ago. You'll also see how I got over supporting the heavy KRK Rokit 8's - I used the angled Capita legs at the front of both the shelf and monitor stands, but also some straight Capita legs at the rear. Very pleased with how it's turned out.

Cheef, I recently found you on Youtube, I thought your set up was super legit. Its kind of interesting to see you here too. I feel like a stalker.
Mandie Hermsmeyer
Here's my home Ikea Expedit offering that I put together a few days ago. You'll also see how I got over supporting the heavy KRK Rokit 8's - I used the angled Capita legs at the front of both the shelf and monitor stands, but also some straight Capita legs at the rear. Very pleased with how it's turned out.

You have a full product list? Including the laptop holder... Dope build.
Edwina Fagel
Gonna buy some wood tomorrow.
Can't wait to start building as I desperately need a desk for my suddenly arrived 2x1210 and vinyl.
Loyce Mekonen
Originally Posted by Patch
Abso-effing-lutely.
Brunilda Kora
Hardcore wood?

Loyce Mekonen
Originally Posted by photojojo
Still would be easier to add the slides while building instead wishing you had after. Another thing is if you decide to use Ikea for parts all the inexpensive Ekpedit tupe stuff is filled with cardboard so you couldn't cut slots for the monitor stands and getting screws to hold will be hard.
We don't have Ikea in Chile sadly, so it will built with real hardcore wood.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by The Pancaker
Thanks for the suggestion! Will keep that in mind! Not planning on putting a lot of weight on it though.
Still would be easier to add the slides while building instead wishing you had after. Another thing is if you decide to use Ikea for parts all the inexpensive Ekpedit tupe stuff is filled with cardboard so you couldn't cut slots for the monitor stands and getting screws to hold will be hard.
Loyce Mekonen
Originally Posted by photojojo
Those slides may wobble quite a bit after you put some weight on the top shelf and pull it out. You could probably stick a couple rubber door wedges in between the top shelf that slides out and the bottom part it's attached to so that it's a little sturdier. I would also probably use at least four slide rails evenly spaced.
Thanks for the suggestion! Will keep that in mind! Not planning on putting a lot of weight on it though.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by The Pancaker
For the slides I thought about the telescopic drawer slides but placed horizontally which would help a lot. That way I can have a somewhat streamlined desk without loosing real estate.
Those slides may wobble quite a bit after you put some weight on the top shelf and pull it out. You could probably stick a couple rubber door wedges in between the top shelf that slides out and the bottom part it's attached to so that it's a little sturdier. I would also probably use at least four slide rails evenly spaced.
Random X
Nice!
Loyce Mekonen
So this is what I came up with. I don't have Ikea here so in the end I'll just ask someone to make the whole thing for me. My reality is that I haven't got too much space in my room so I can't make a deep desk. I decided I could compromise with a 35cm deep desk with a sliding surface to let the stuff clear the top cover which is gonna be 25cm deep (the one holding the laptop and speakers [which won't be rokits until a long while lol]), which wouldn't allow access to the controls. For the slides I thought about the telescopic drawer slides but placed horizontally which would help a lot. That way I can have a somewhat streamlined desk without loosing real estate.

Some sketchup pics
(the stereo pictured somewhat represents the one I'll be using)

This image shows the slides

Hopefully I'll have pics of the whole thing in a month...
Teodora Hancharik
Originally Posted by protocollie
Sorry to bust into an old thread with a very vague question but I wanted to field this out to everyone and see if there were any ideas.

I have a really tall order to fill, which is basically that in my apartment, space is at a premium. I'm trying to build a setup that functions well enough as a production space as it does for DJing that comfortably holds 4xCDJ2000s and a DJM2000. I originally came up with something like this:

but have since realized (particularly after reading the comments here) that this is not going to be near sturdy enough to hold all the gear on it. The general idea was that the decks would be angled up and at a reasonably comfortable angle, but I could pull out the lower table with keyboard, midi controllers, etc when I was producing and still have a reasonably comfortable viewing angle to the computer. The more I look at this though, the more I feel... ehhh. Especially after reading all the reinforcement stories here this seems like a recipe for disaster.

So in essence what I'm left looking for is something ~75 inches wide that functions well for both sitting and standing. I know that's a tall glass, and if nobody has any suggestions I totally understand, though in that case it would be nice to have some suggestions as far as a low-impact, slim setup that would let me sneak a desk on the end.

I've seen some setups with the CDJs floating, or on stands, which seems nice but I'm not sure how that would work. Any thoughts from you guys would be great since you've all put in time and got experience

this will cause back problems.
Tatum Ansaldo
Moved this to show your setup and stickied it. Do carry on.
Hulda Ramprasad
Originally Posted by C.Lukas1
Very nice! I was recently tossing around the idea of building one of these, but was stuck in regards to the KRK 8s.

I was believeing of going with the 2x2 book shelf, larger raised table top, and independent monitor stands. Now seeing this, I may change my plans.

How deep is that? 2 of the 4x4 book shelves?
Yup, two Expedits.
Deangelo Boender
So I see a hell of a lot of cool desks in here, but nothing improvised! I found a huge ancient wooden ironing board at goodwill yesterday. It was covered in spider nests, dead wasps, and maple seeds, so I'm guessing that it came out of a barn or something. I dragged it back to my apartment and managed to fit it just right in front of my window. I'm believeing of putting a par can or something underneath it for some back lighting toevening !IMG_20121020_103433.jpgIMG_20121020_103511.jpg
Aundrea Lenore

Very nice! I was recently tossing around the idea of building one of these, but was stuck in regards to the KRK 8s.

I was believeing of going with the 2x2 book shelf, larger raised table top, and independent monitor stands. Now seeing this, I may change my plans.

How deep is that? 2 of the 4x4 book shelves?
Laurene Kestin
i'm about to start building a better dj and production area. luckily a friend is a rather good carpenter we've discussed using ikea brackets and such in this build. i don't know if we'll use actual ikea "wood". but i know this build wil be rather simple. i believe in the last discussion, we was talking about.

reset decks and mixer
2 x cdj shelves (angled inwards above decks)
1 x laptop / midi shelf (wider than cdj shelves with adjustable angle above mier)
3 x wide side draws on weighted runners (for midi keyboards and synths)
1 x central wide draw on weighted runners (for midi keyboard)
3 or 4 x regular desk sized draws but double depth(smaller midi devices and things like cd's etc)
9 x vinyl squares

i'll post a photo tutorial once complete. i'm hoping to keep it below
Edwina Fagel

Here's a quick sketchup I made. In real life the compartments will be about 10cm shorter and I will put some legs under it to achieve the required height.
Edwina Fagel
Originally Posted by tekki
I really don't believe you can beat this price/materials mark. I'd just suggest buying one.
Yes, this would be totally reasonable in most of the situations.
But I have some extra arguments: nearest ikea = 7h, I have to do 24h of work at school with wood,
the material would cost under 100€ and I could use top of the range gear .
Also I dont like furniture made of MDF at my home really. Not my thing.
But, if have anybody has good ideas, hit me up. I'm sure the Expedit isn't perfect.
Random X
Originally Posted by vanaema78
Hey,

I have some free time at school and I'm going to build a Expedits knock-off,
but I need some inspiration and tips with the dimensions and etc.
The only restriction I have is that it can't be longer in depth than 80cm or ~31 inches which should be plenty for technics in battle style.
I want to build it from cubes so I could store my records.
On top of it I would like to place a pair of technics, mixer and some other stuff.
I'm believeing that in hight it could be around 100cm or ~40 inches for a 6'0 or 185cm bloke,
the other plus with this hight is that I could build 3 cubes with that are tall enough for LP's and the thing would be just at the right height for me.
I have no ideas about the width tbh, something around 160cm or ~63 inches so it has room for 2x1200+S4+spare.
Any ideas or recomendations? How would you build your perfect DJ table?
I really don't believe you can beat this price/materials mark. I'd just suggest buying one.
Hulda Ramprasad

Romelia Stankard
hmm if building from scratch that's hard to say. if you woodworking skills are decent I would make it so the top part has a removeable upper portion with cut outs for all your gear so everything sits flush.

as for height- make it so that the top of the decks sit at about your belly button- that is ideal height for most people.
Edwina Fagel
Hey,

I have some free time at school and I'm going to build a Expedits knock-off,
but I need some inspiration and tips with the dimensions and etc.
The only restriction I have is that it can't be longer in depth than 80cm or ~31 inches which should be plenty for technics in battle style.
I want to build it from cubes so I could store my records.
On top of it I would like to place a pair of technics, mixer and some other stuff.
I'm believeing that in hight it could be around 100cm or ~40 inches for a 6'0 or 185cm bloke,
the other plus with this hight is that I could build 3 cubes with that are tall enough for LP's and the thing would be just at the right height for me.
I have no ideas about the width tbh, something around 160cm or ~63 inches so it has room for 2x1200+S4+spare.
Any ideas or recomendations? How would you build your perfect DJ table?
Laurence Calisto
Sorry to bust into an old thread with a very vague question but I wanted to field this out to everyone and see if there were any ideas.

I have a really tall order to fill, which is basically that in my apartment, space is at a premium. I'm trying to build a setup that functions well enough as a production space as it does for DJing that comfortably holds 4xCDJ2000s and a DJM2000. I originally came up with something like this:

but have since realized (particularly after reading the comments here) that this is not going to be near sturdy enough to hold all the gear on it. The general idea was that the decks would be angled up and at a reasonably comfortable angle, but I could pull out the lower table with keyboard, midi controllers, etc when I was producing and still have a reasonably comfortable viewing angle to the computer. The more I look at this though, the more I feel... ehhh. Especially after reading all the reinforcement stories here this seems like a recipe for disaster.

So in essence what I'm left looking for is something ~75 inches wide that functions well for both sitting and standing. I know that's a tall glass, and if nobody has any suggestions I totally understand, though in that case it would be nice to have some suggestions as far as a low-impact, slim setup that would let me sneak a desk on the end.

I've seen some setups with the CDJs floating, or on stands, which seems nice but I'm not sure how that would work. Any thoughts from you guys would be great since you've all put in time and got experience
Random X
Thanks.

It's this Vika Amon tabletop, 150cm by 78cm.

The legs are idd the Vika Moliden ones.

The only part I am not to fond about, is that the tabletop itself bends/leans/sacks through a little in the middle. (It could be that I have been overloading it in the past)
Romelia Stankard
nice is that the vika amon tabletop with the stainless fixed legs? I've been meaning to get one of those- I've run out of room on my slightly smaller vika amon side desk.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy