Who scratches here?

Who scratches here?
Posted on: 22.12.2011 by Len Lukawski
A couple of months ago I decided to start learning to scratch, properly. Not just pushing the record around and hoping for the best (which best describes the previous 17 attempts back in the day). I have consumed hundreds of hours of videos on Youtube, been reading books, signed up for Qbert's SkratchU and practice whenever I can which unfortunately is maybe half an hour a day. I am definitely off the blocks skills-wise but still in skratch primary/elementary school.

So who here scratches?
Are you beginner or Grandmaster?
What are you learning right now?
What's been the hardest technique for you to learn?
How did you or do you learn?
What's your setup?
What do you scratch to?
Would you like to go to dinner?
- I edited this list as I had a repeat question on setups.

Would love to hear people's stories and views on this!
Myung Belski
Originally Posted by hipnopath
With the PCV fader, how did you do all the wiring? Without a mixer around it, will the fader just cut really sharp?
There is actually a longer than usual cut-in, with a slight fade. DJGoldMonk recommended for me to put some hot glue on the fader's walls, just enough so that it cuts completely(same theory with the Vestax spacers and credit card mod). It works like a charm, but nothing like an innofader. It definitely is worthy to cut on though.

There is actually a couple things to keep in mind. First, the PT01 needle sucks. Buy these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/350571589186...84.m1497.l2649 .. They are cheap and awesome.

Second, You NEED a 7" skipless record because the torque isn't strong enough for 12". The Baby Skratchy Seals are perfect and come with 7" butter rugs: http://www.djqbert.com/product/skrat...uper-seal.html . They ARE 33rpm, not 45. Unfortunately, you wont be able to buy them until the summer, when they are back in stock. I saw a couple on Ebay, shipping from AU. I plan on making some 7" vinyl dubplates from CarveryCuts. I just need to understand how the hell you make a skipless record.

Here are some pics:

The fader box is bolted to the PT01. Wish I was a pro electrician.. I know I could make this thing a whole lot better. All I know is L, R, Gnd.. haha

I'm trying to make a routine with my other battery-op gear and make a vid somewhere remote next.
Myung Belski
HOLY SHIT THAT'S DOPE! Please release more specs or a tutorial! I've been looking at putting a fader in a PT01 since I'll never get a QFO, hah.
Thanks man. Yeah, I've had my eyes peeled on a QFO, but so hard to find. Here's the tutorial I followed to put a crossfader in the PT01, but meant for the handytrax: . I'll see if I can put a vid together on the other stuff I did to it. A dremel and some hot glue will be your best friend.

Originally Posted by djproben
What is the fader in? That looks like a separate box, I'd love to see a tutorial too
The fader is a Vestax PCV. The box is an enclosure I bought from Amazon. I made a cut out on the top for that Korg SoS, and can interchange with the MiniKP2.
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by smittten
So who here scratches?
I do

About 9 years in, still learning. GM one day

Deconstructing my style so I'm more versatile with foundation cuts and juggles so I can can do stuff forwards/backwards/left/right.

Boomerangs for traditional techniques but creating (or trying to create) new styles is always harder because I'm never sure if it'll be possible until I can actually do it.

Self taught from a few Q-bert and MMM videos and random scratch songs for first few years, and with the help of DJ community s. Eventually met some good Canadian DMC DJs and they helped me quite a bit.

What's your setup?
1200s or Str8-150s, and a Rane 62. I have a bunch of other stuff but Rane 62 is my favourite piece of gear , and 1200s are my babies for all around stuff. Str8-150s have an edge on 1200s in some ways though so I like them as well.

What do you scratch to?
Mostly stuff with breaks as the basis, like hip-hop and similar genres. Also dirty south/trap stuff sometimes.

Taco Bell?
Verona Spradlin
Originally Posted by dripstep

I started scratching at the beginning of last week. Not the greatest, but not bad considering that my baby scratches sounded awful and out of time a week ago.

criticism? positive, negative, constructive or not, I will accept all hah
Nice! Much better than me when I was at a week! Keep up those babies and transforms. Try to then master the chirp and get some chirp/transform patterns and you have a sold foundation for what you've got left to learn!

Originally Posted by 32Digits
I wonder what your thoughts are on

Baby chino..

I honestly don't like him, (not like his personality but the hype around him)
I don't like him either. DJ Sara or DJ Ryusei take the cake for child scratch DJs.

Here's another update for my journey to cut ambidextrously!

Myung Belski
Yeah, I was gonna follow that one first. It looks convenient just having the fader on the PT01. There's a video of him cutting on it on YT. If you decide to do the HandyTrax mod on a PT01, you splice-in the 3 wires of the fader(l,r,gnd) into the wires going into the volume circuits.
Verona Spradlin
Incredible. This looks a lot better then the other fader mod on a PT01 I saw on Skratchlounge.

Myung Belski
With the PCV fader, how did you do all the wiring? Without a mixer around it, will the fader just cut really sharp?
There is actually a longer than usual cut-in, with a slight fade. DJGoldMonk recommended for me to put some hot glue on the fader's walls, just enough so that it cuts completely(same theory with the Vestax spacers and credit card mod). It works like a charm, but nothing like an innofader. It definitely is worthy to cut on though.

There is actually a couple things to keep in mind. First, the PT01 needle sucks. Buy these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/350571589186...84.m1497.l2649 .. They are cheap and awesome.

Second, You NEED a 7" skipless record because the torque isn't strong enough for 12". The Baby Skratchy Seals are perfect and come with 7" butter rugs: http://www.djqbert.com/product/skrat...uper-seal.html . They ARE 33rpm, not 45. Unfortunately, you wont be able to buy them until the summer, when they are back in stock. I saw a couple on Ebay, shipping from AU. I plan on making some 7" vinyl dubplates from CarveryCuts. I just need to understand how the hell you make a skipless record.

Here are some pics:

The fader box is bolted to the PT01. Wish I was a pro electrician.. I know I could make this thing a whole lot better. All I know is L, R, Gnd.. haha

I'm trying to make a routine with my other battery-op gear and make a vid somewhere remote next.
Verona Spradlin
Danae Dumler
Very cool work man! And yeah that keychain fader looks fun too but way more useful the way you have yours set up with the Numark.
Myung Belski
Also, check this out: http://www.thudrumble.com/blog/skrat...e-frisk-fader/

I ordered one about a month ago, but just yesterday the guy making them just started making mine. You might be able to just buy that and wire it up without soldering and doing all the other labor. Not sure how the fader will last though. I gotta find an electrician to find a way to put my Innofader in it. I tried it, but it needs some sort of power supply to work.
Myung Belski
HOLY SHIT THAT'S DOPE! Please release more specs or a tutorial! I've been looking at putting a fader in a PT01 since I'll never get a QFO, hah.
Thanks man. Yeah, I've had my eyes peeled on a QFO, but so hard to find. Here's the tutorial I followed to put a crossfader in the PT01, but meant for the handytrax: . I'll see if I can put a vid together on the other stuff I did to it. A dremel and some hot glue will be your best friend.

Originally Posted by djproben
What is the fader in? That looks like a separate box, I'd love to see a tutorial too
The fader is a Vestax PCV. The box is an enclosure I bought from Amazon. I made a cut out on the top for that Korg SoS, and can interchange with the MiniKP2.
Danae Dumler
Verona Spradlin
Myung Belski
Congrats on all the success Vekked! You're dope man.

Here's a vid I just recorded on a portable skratch machine I just finished making:
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by smittten
So who here scratches?
I do

About 9 years in, still learning. GM one day

Deconstructing my style so I'm more versatile with foundation cuts and juggles so I can can do stuff forwards/backwards/left/right.

Boomerangs for traditional techniques but creating (or trying to create) new styles is always harder because I'm never sure if it'll be possible until I can actually do it.

Self taught from a few Q-bert and MMM videos and random scratch songs for first few years, and with the help of DJ community s. Eventually met some good Canadian DMC DJs and they helped me quite a bit.

What's your setup?
1200s or Str8-150s, and a Rane 62. I have a bunch of other stuff but Rane 62 is my favourite piece of gear , and 1200s are my babies for all around stuff. Str8-150s have an edge on 1200s in some ways though so I like them as well.

What do you scratch to?
Mostly stuff with breaks as the basis, like hip-hop and similar genres. Also dirty south/trap stuff sometimes.

Taco Bell?
Verona Spradlin
Originally Posted by dripstep

I started scratching at the beginning of last week. Not the greatest, but not bad considering that my baby scratches sounded awful and out of time a week ago.

Nice! Much better than me when I was at a week! Keep up those babies and transforms. Try to then master the chirp and get some chirp/transform patterns and you have a sold foundation for what you've got left to learn!

Originally Posted by 32Digits

Baby chino..

I don't like him either. DJ Sara or DJ Ryusei take the cake for child scratch DJs.

Here's another update for my journey to cut ambidextrously!

Awilda Boggie

Baby chino..

Yong Aptekar

Lilliana Perris
NICE!

Thanks for posting!!!

I need MUCH more practice....
Verona Spradlin
Nice to see younger DJs get into cuttin'! Keep it up! I got my decks at 16 (18 now) and I'm about to enter the DMCs this upcoming spring!
Elisa Zappa
I scratch i'm 15 and i've been scratching for a year and a half
I am intermediate but i hope to get as good as DJ Craze, shiftee, qbert, mix master mike. (list goes on)
I am learning the autobahn and drumming after learning the boomerang
I had a hard time learning flares but after that they become more natural.
DJ ANGELO he has the best free tutorials ever. but besides that just other videos on the internet
I use 2 Audio technicas atlp120 (technics clone) Numark x5 battle mixer, shure m447 and mixvibes cross software
I like scratching to trap, house and soft-core dubstep/ soft core glitch hop (tipper and bro safari are great to scratch to)
if you're ever in chicagoland dinner would be awesome
here is my first routine
Mabel Sumling
Originally Posted by Cybertrash
How on *earth* can you do that so fast?
lots of practice, lots of pain.
Ira Alsadi
My bad hipno, it's on the lounge.
Evelyn Navarijo
Originally Posted by Patrick Wayne
heres a transform tutorial i did 5 years ago.
How on *earth* can you do that so fast?
Verona Spradlin
Which video are you talking about?
Ira Alsadi
That vid is sick on DV Hipno. When is going public?
Mabel Sumling
heres a transform tutorial i did 5 years ago.
Verona Spradlin
I'm still cuttin'!

Len Lukawski
I seem to be in a cycle; Controllery Stuff > Scratchy Scratchy > Producey Producer > Rinse and Repeat.
Ira Alsadi
I haven't practiced much since April. School and the kiddos are keeping me busy. I still play around with combos but not much progress being made.
Evelyn Navarijo
How did this thread land up on page two?

Anyway, I believe I'll take up scratching again, got to get some practice going, I can manage stabs, transforms and chirps well enough, but I just can't make them sound good in a series or a combo :/
Lilliana Perris
Cheers for the vid!

Ellena Byerly
Verona Spradlin
Hah yeah. I really just wanted to see the benefits of "extreme record control". I'm slowly getting used it though. Crabs are still far into the future and fast two click flares/boomerangs are slowly coming together. Practice, practice, practice.
Lilliana Perris
I finally did it!

LIES!

You just inverted the video!!

LOL

Nicely!

I find that if I cross my hands over...and just use the same hands as I do for the left side...I am OK.

But its not legit!

Ginger Vinegar
[QUOTE=hipnopath;552342]I finally did it!

haha awesome man! thats exactly what i sound like now!!! except iv been working at it for about 2 or 3 months now and i just cant seem to get a good flow going. All i can do is the chirp scratch and the 3 click flare, only so many combinations i can do heh
Verona Spradlin
Originally Posted by DannyAK
you should do a video of you scratching right handed :P
I finally did it!

Caitlin Siddens
So who here scratches?
I stroke the vinyl quite a bit.

I can scratch enough to be dangerous. (Side note: From what I understand, "Grandmaster" is a title that's awarded. A DJ is "kevening ed", so to speak.)

I'm always working on drumming. Also, speeding up/becoming more comfortable with Qbert's "Prism Scratch".

Scratching (at all) on Tech 12's, heh. I started with Stanton straight-arm tables, T62's I believe. It's a whole different game, and much less forgiving without that needle wedged in there, though the finesse required has been a joy to learn. Hardest technique has to be keeping your enthusiasm in check, and learning to let the movements flow rather than rocking your guts out (I'm a Death Metal junkie)

I learned the most from paying for access to Qbert's Skratch University. The videos of technics, which feature slow motion playback (THANK GOD!), and the community of people, as well as access to his Master Classes really did help. I'll rehearse with a Logitech cam recording from overhead, and the decks routed into either Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6 or Live, depending on if I'm using a combination of timecode and vinyl, or purely vinyl. When I lose a flow, I'll note the time stamp, record a brief description into the mic as to what tripped me up, and keep going.

What's your setup?
2xTechnics 1200MK2, Mackie D.2 mixer (Isolators, FX Loop, + Infinium X-Fader=schwing), Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6+Audio 6 interface, Pair of Dicers, Kontrol X1, Various stomp boxes to route FX out from the Mackie through, Ableton Live 8 Suite, 2xOrtofon Concords-Qbert Editions.

What do you scratch to?
Instrumental tracks of some of my favorite songs, and sampled loops.

If you are not only paying, but it's the equivalent of an open bar, sure.
Nita Ague
So who here scratches?
I do

Beginner kinda

I'm learning to crab scratch

so far the crab is the hardest for me

I taught myself on my bro-laws set-up

What's your setup?
2x technics, denon mixer, serato and traktor

What do you scratch to?
I prefer vinyl and scratch to instrumentals

if were having crab!
Ellena Byerly
1. Are you beginner or Grandmaster?
-Guess I'm not sure where to place myself, I'll say on a scale of 1 to 10, 4.

2. What are you learning right now?
-Combinations and better timing.

3. What's been the hardest technique for you to learn?
-3 click flare

4. How did you or do you learn?
-I've watched other DJs in action, and usually mimic what I've seen.

5. What's your setup?
-1 Turntable + S4 Setup, 2x Turntable + Rane Sixty-Eight Board

6. What do you scratch to?
-Jazzy House, Hip Hop, and Funk

7. Would you like to go to dinner?
-Maybeeeee

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy