What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?Reply
What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?
Posted on: 10.10.2013 by Lawana Mileto
Just wanted to see what wax people had been spending their hard earned money on?

Myself, I picked up the new;

Delroy Edwards on LA Club Resource
Delroy Edwards vs Funkineven on Apron Records
Dungeon Meat/SE62 on My Love is Underground
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Thumper
Welcome back! How was Berlin?

Some nice buys there. Some very nice buys, actually. Nothing for me this week because I believe I'm going to have to spend a small fortune on fixing my computer up. There goes my fund for a new synth/ mixer.....
Berlin was so good, absolutely amazing city. Want to go back already, so many more record shops I didn't get the chance to visit. Was easy to get around, the underground is amazing makes it a breeze to get about. Where we stayed was real nice, we rented an apartment for the weekend, which overlooked the Berlin rooftops, will be going back next year.

Hardwax as expected was a quality shop with a great selection of House/Techno, Roatation's selection was a bit smaller, but still worth the visit, if not for the records then for clothes and other bits they sell.

Well I won't be buying anymore, well I say this now but you know how it is. But I do have to shell out on new stylus' after someone screwed mine up at last evening s gig.
Will Spinello
Welcome back! How was Berlin?

Some nice buys there. Some very nice buys, actually. Nothing for me this week because I believe I'm going to have to spend a small fortune on fixing my computer up. There goes my fund for a new synth/ mixer.....
Lawana Mileto
Some good buys being posted.

So here's what I've splurged my cash on in Berlin from Hardwax & Rotation Records;

Studio r
Delila Vandommelen
Good buys!

I actually need a replacement for Kat Moda. My copy got torn to shreds in a club years ago when I was a lil bit, err, worse for wear towards the end of my set. BIIIIIG old scratch across the A side. Not good. I'm amazed I didn't screw up the stylus.
Apparently there's been another repress (this one and a few other PM/Axis) some of which got to my usual store. In fact, there have been represses on these labels for months so finding mint copies for not too much should be easy !
Bethann Olortegui
Just picked up a few new ones (for me at least). Die Vogel on Pampa, Mr G Retrospective and the new TiNI release on Supplement Facts. Also got the Kompakt 20 Jahre compilation as it has a couple of classics on it that I'm now glad to have on vinyl
Will Spinello
Good buys!

I actually need a replacement for Kat Moda. My copy got torn to shreds in a club years ago when I was a lil bit, err, worse for wear towards the end of my set. BIIIIIG old scratch across the A side. Not good. I'm amazed I didn't screw up the stylus.
Delila Vandommelen
Received the STABLO 9998 japan edition I ordered on discogs as a gift to myself for my 30th.
except white marbled with a red label

Notable purchases from the previous batch are Jeff Mills's Kat Moda EP and Horror Inc's album on Perlon.
Passed on the latest MLIU because I'm tired of that style.
Will Spinello
Well, damnit. Just bought a copy of 'Sexuality' by Blake Baxter from Discogs. Apparently unplayed 1987 orginal release. Like I said, never used it before. If it all works out, and I'm sure it will, I guess I can kiss goodbye to my retirement fund.
Will Spinello
I'm not the world's biggest Ruskin fan but I liked this one. I don't usually go for 'proper' techno so much these days but it's nice to have a change, innit?

The thing about LIES is that they are almost too prolific. I believe they must be running at about two releases a month just now, and then some. If I just bought their stuff, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else.

When you off to Berlin? I like the place a lot but I don't believe I can be bothered with the evening life side of it now, as great as it is. Did all that on a stag weekend there a few years back. It says a lot about your average Berlinner that they still let Scots into the city after that.......One of the best places in Europe to chill, though. Going to Vienna at the end of next month. Never been before. Going to be clearing the mixes of the iPod to make room for Mozart, I believe.
Lawana Mileto
Redeye aren't sending my copy of the VerNon one until the Marquis Hawkes one is released. Couple of weeks to go. I'm trying to avoid buying any more LIES stuff for the time being; Ron Morelli's had enough of my money this year...

Ordered Firebomb by Rezzit on Trilogy Tapes and
'Jealous God' by James Ruskin. Should come tomorrow.

The Rezzit one is ace. It sounds like the sort of music I try to make - or would if I had any talent.
Nice pickups Thumper.

Havent bought any of the recent TTT ones yet, in my cart on discogs waiting for me to hit that order button.
Not sure if its the discogs account of TTT, but thats all they sell and for 8 quid a pop worth buying from them.

Haven't heard the Rezzit one, I'll have to check it out. Don't believe I've checked out the Ruskin one either.

By the time I get back should have the VernoN one. TBH i havent picked up that many LIES releases, although there's rather a lot I want, all stupid prices now though.

Probably have a rather large update of wax after Berlin.
Will Spinello
Redeye aren't sending my copy of the VerNon one until the Marquis Hawkes one is released. Couple of weeks to go. I'm trying to avoid buying any more LIES stuff for the time being; Ron Morelli's had enough of my money this year...

Ordered Firebomb by Rezzit on Trilogy Tapes and
'Jealous God' by James Ruskin. Should come tomorrow.

The Rezzit one is ace. It sounds like the sort of music I try to make - or would if I had any talent.
Lawana Mileto
Ok so the vinyl bug hit again, caved in a day before berlin and bought:

VernoN on Dixon Avenue Basement Jams
Legowelt on LIES

Oh well...

Here's to buying much more this weekend.
Joana Rabot

Got Eprom's Halflife album coming in the mail. Listening to the digital album that was just released. Absolutely mind blowing production value on this one. I was able to see Eprom live this year, and he blew me away with his live set. Can't wait to get the vinyl already!
Lawana Mileto
Yeah discogs is pretty good to find stuff you missed out on although there always a massive price hike on limited stuff. But you can pick up the occasional bargain.

Well didn't make it through the weekend without buying any vinyl, as I thought I'd have a little browse in the local record shop, although glad I did as I picked up a copy of Vakula on Leleka 02 infact, which I've been hunting for for a while, and for 8 wuid, currently going for about 30 on discogs so bargain really.

Also picked up a couple of old skudge records and Joy orbison on Hinge Finger.
Will Spinello
I've been informed by a friend that the 4 White Material releases might be getting represses in the near future. Don't know how true that is. Hope so. they deserve to sell loads.

How do you find Discogs? I've never bought anything from it before for some reason. I believe I subconsciously avoid it because I can see myself throwing down some serious lolly down on early Blake Baxter or Eddie Fowlkes releases. .

Crack. Yes. A rock of crack as big as the Ritz, in fact.
Will Spinello
Naple's Rubadub release was the record of the year for me, I believe, which is pretty good going as there have been some absolute corkers this year. I'm delighted that that Rubadub have started doing this sort of thing. My friend works for them and handles a lot of the distribution for some real, big names (you should see his phones address book. It's like an A-Z of house and techno aristocracy) and I love the fact they're really big on supporting the music and artists they believe are special, kind of like Hardwax do in Berlin. having said that, I fully expect to get an email from them tomorrow telling me they sold the last White Material ep, and would I like a refund instead! They're good lads, though. You'll never meet a bunch of people who know their stuff so well.

I have to admit that I'm not even a vinyl purist anymore but you got to support the artists you like, don't you? If we don't, who will? I've seen some special scenes in my time, and even though I barely go out anymore, I like keep an eye and and ear on it all. And I have to tell you, it does me good to see that there are young kids coming through who are every bit as nuts about dirty, wonky, nasty acid house and techno as me and my mates were way back in the early 90s.
Lawana Mileto
@Thumper

Haha yes, know what you mean about the problems with the mrs. I only seriously started buying again bout year and a half ago after not having bought any in years, and certainly is now obsessive!

Yeah looking forward to the next two Dixon Ave releases, last one was killer. believe there was issues with the mastering on the latest one and thats why 007 came out before 006. Vernon one sounds big, but after hearing the Marquis Hawkes thats gonna kill it.

Yeah Mad Disrespect is a great EP, though Naples has killed it on several other labels since, and here's hoping he signs plenty more tasty bits for Proibito. His one on Rubadub and Trilogy Tapes were amazing stuff, which reminds me I still need to pick up the last couple of the Trilogy Tapes bits.

Man I need that White Material EP, its big! I'll have to try find a copy!

If I didn't have Berlin coming up, I'd be all over the stuff thats come out this week, there's been a lot of it, but always the same this time of year. Hopefully can pick up plenty of new bits on me travels, plenty of shops to go digging through.

Did manage to pick up a few older bits of Discogs toevening though, namely: Brother G and Alex Danilov on Rawax, an old Rio Padice on Housewax,Professor Inc on Speshall, Funkineven Apron EP as I missed the repress and MGUN Upstairs Apartment EP.

Too much wax out!
Will Spinello
As for LA Club Resources, I can't remember where I saw the release schedule. I believe I read Delroy talking about the Gene Hunt one in an interview. As for the Jackson one, I either saw it online or my mate told me that. He does distribution for a lot of these guys in Europe so he tends to know. Been trying to hit him up for a copy of Naple's release on Probito but there's been some delay or other.
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by frequencym
My latest order from Toolbox came yesterday (minus one record that didn't make it into the package). Probably not anything anyone here would be into but.
Oh, I don't know. I just listened to the Tankorr one on Youtube. I can see myself playing that late on in a set with a bunch of old school movers. Probably have to pitch it down a wee bit though.

@Amadeus. The Hank Jackson on Mr Saturday Night is great. Their best release since 'Mad Disrespect.' I thought the Local Artist one was brilliant. I've been playing Mr Kiwis in and out of some banging Chicago tunes - it goes really nicely with Green Velvet's Preacherman....

Got an Email today from Juno that the new White Material EP had come out. I was at work at the time so tried to buy it via my phone. Between me getting the email, and trying to pay for it it went out of stock....that's about 3 minutes. Had a crappy day but that almost pushed me over the edge. Mad rush when I got a computer to get a copy. Should have one coming from Rubadub along with Dark Acid 3. Got the Kupfer/Vereker split on Russian Torrents coming too....

I've got to stop this. Just paid off my credit card about 30 minutes ago. It wiped my savings for this month. When I got back into it all a year or two ago, I told my GF there wouldn't be anymore vinyl......just Downloads.

Ah well, It's good to have a (deeply obsessive) hobby.

Lol. She's just reminded me I've got the next two Dixon Avenue releases on pre-order at Redeye as well!
Allan Neubert
My latest order from Toolbox came yesterday (minus one record that didn't make it into the package). Probably not anything anyone here would be into but.

Tommers - Future Frequencies 2
Tankorr - Neurotrope 25
v/a - Color Your Brain Black
bRz - LZN 3
Stije - Huppel 3
v/a - Hypnotik 10
Uncredited - Obs.Cur Blk Ltd 01

A picture of the labels/cover art:

1374164_389558567837163_9525705_n.jpg
Lawana Mileto
Both of those, by coincidence. Also, the new (actually old) Move D thing, a Tyree Cooper reissue which I meant to buy months ago. A copy of the remastered Divergence group (Regis and Female, I believe), which, again I meant to get months ago. The last Funkinevel 12, The Bookworms 12 on Anomia and the Bookworms/Greg Beato split 12 on Russian Torrent versions ( which is a splinter label of LIES by all accounts.) Should have Dark acid vol 1 on Clan Destine Traxx arriving tomorrow as well. Ordered it a while back from Phonica but they sent me the wrong one.

The new Delroy Edwards label look like it might be interesting. Gene Hunt and Hank Jackson releases to come next. Also, really looking forward to the next Probito release. The last two have been great; Naple's has been on a brilliant run.

The two Edwards 12s are awesome.

Spent a bit this week. Should probably tone it down next week, but there's the new DJ Qu, the Shawn O Sullivan on Avian, the New DJ Spider and a couple of others.....

Vinyl. It's worse than crack.
Thats some real nice pickups there Thumper! Deffo worse han crack.

Yeah looking forward to the next Proibito too, last Local Artist one was big, and Huerco S killed it on the first one.

Didnt know Gene Hunt and Hank Jackson would be coming up on LA Resource, deffo good news, though still need to pick up the last Hank Jackson one on Mister Staurday Night.

Had to keep it rather small this week, went a bit over the top last month. And I've got a trip to Berlin coming up.

Anyone know when the new Moodymann album is dropping, was suppose to be last month?
Petra Arra
bought this the other day at a local thrift shop. payed only $2 for it (as its $2 per piece) turned out it had 2 more battle break records along with it. cleaned it yesterday and it still worked its magic!

20131007_1611541.jpg
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by amadeus
Just wanted to see what wax people had been spending their hard earned money on?

Delroy Edwards on LA Club Resource
Delroy Edwards vs Funkineven on Apron Records
Both of those, by coincidence. Also, the new (actually old) Move D thing, a Tyree Cooper reissue which I meant to buy months ago. A copy of the remastered Divergence group (Regis and Female, I believe), which, again I meant to get months ago. The last Funkinevel 12, The Bookworms 12 on Anomia and the Bookworms/Greg Beato split 12 on Russian Torrent versions ( which is a splinter label of LIES by all accounts.) Should have Dark acid vol 1 on Clan Destine Traxx arriving tomorrow as well. Ordered it a while back from Phonica but they sent me the wrong one.

The new Delroy Edwards label look like it might be interesting. Gene Hunt and Hank Jackson releases to come next. Also, really looking forward to the next Probito release. The last two have been great; Naple's has been on a brilliant run.

The two Edwards 12s are awesome.

Spent a bit this week. Should probably tone it down next week, but there's the new DJ Qu, the Shawn O Sullivan on Avian, the New DJ Spider and a couple of others.....

Vinyl. It's worse than crack.
Tania Somppi
A few oldies I'd been after for a while ....

DJ Edge - Edge1
Rhythm Section - Atomic EP
Rhythm Section - Midsummer Madness EP
Tim Taylor - The Horn Track
Bethann Olortegui
for def. big record. looking forward to hearing more.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by matrick
YES! Just picked this up myself
Yeah, pure quality this, excited to see what happens with the Dungeon Meat label, big colab!
Bethann Olortegui
Originally Posted by amadeus

Dungeon Meat/SE62 on My Love is Underground
YES! Just picked this up myself

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy