What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?Reply
What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?
Posted on: 10.10.2013 by Lawana Mileto
Just wanted to see what wax people had been spending their hard earned money on?

Myself, I picked up the new;

Delroy Edwards on LA Club Resource
Delroy Edwards vs Funkineven on Apron Records
Dungeon Meat/SE62 on My Love is Underground
dan samo
Sounds like we're on the same page about a lot of things - PM me if you have a Soundcloud or a Mixlr or anything! Would love to hear some of these records that I missed out on put to good use
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by afxz
My last trip to the record store, I purchased:

Burial's self-titled first LP, for a fresh copy (no comment on the new EP - NO COMMENT)
Fishermen's excellent debut LP for SkudgeWhite, Patterns and Paths (one of my close friends has also released on this label, and I'll support it whenever I can).
Torn Hawk - Bad Deadlift, strange psychedelic guitar-dance from L.I.E.S. One of their weird curveballs that I picked up on.
Anthony Naples' P O T - gorgeous little jam EP. Will go with just about anything.

My favourite record purchase of the year was probably Prince of Denmark's 'The Body', or Felix K's 'Flowers of Destruction'. I also really enjoyed Kevin Drumm's 'Tannenbaum', and have been (re-)listening to many reissues this year: been a great year for Warp/R&S back-catalogue collectors!
My big regret of the years was not picking up 'The Body' when it was still availlable. waited so long it went out of stock at Juno whilst it was in my basket. I'm hoping for a repress because prices on Discogs have veered between plain stupid and Obscene. I haven't really had a chance to really get into his Traumprinz album yet - hopefully I'll get a chance to sit and listen to it over the Christmas break, with some choice refreshments..

Favourite record of the year was Anthony Naple's release for Rubadub. It wasn't groundbreaking in any way, nor was it the most original record I've ever heard, but it was so infectiously joyous I smile every time I hear it. There were three or four other releases that could've been the one, but I keep reaching for this.

Best label? That's a toughie. I would have said Proibito because every release has been a beast so far, and with the Austin Cesearr to come too they might well have a huge year next year. Semantica had a great one too - such an underated label. Not just hard techno. So much verging on mad experimentalism. and Opal Tapes had some brilliant releases this year -in particular I've been playing the album by Patricia a lot since I got it.

But I believe my label of the year is Trilogy Tapes. They have released some special records this year. personal favourites are the Tuff Sherm one, Naples and Eomac - but the best of the bunch was Firebomb by Rezzet. They've got some dynamite releases already lined up for the start of next year too - the one By Theo Parrish sounds like it might be quite special.
dan samo
My last trip to the record store, I purchased:

Burial's self-titled first LP, for a fresh copy (no comment on the new EP - NO COMMENT)
Fishermen's excellent debut LP for SkudgeWhite, Patterns and Paths (one of my close friends has also released on this label, and I'll support it whenever I can).
Torn Hawk - Bad Deadlift, strange psychedelic guitar-dance from L.I.E.S. One of their weird curveballs that I picked up on.
Anthony Naples' P O T - gorgeous little jam EP. Will go with just about anything.

My favourite record purchase of the year was probably Prince of Denmark's 'The Body', or Felix K's 'Flowers of Destruction'. I also really enjoyed Kevin Drumm's 'Tannenbaum', and have been (re-)listening to many reissues this year: been a great year for Warp/R&S back-catalogue collectors!
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Thumper
Wish you hadn't remind me about the Paypal thing....I've been told no more.....for now.

So my last buys of 2013:

Hank Jackson - Palee Hit - Proibito
Ron Morelli - Back Pages - Hospital
Tom Dicicco - No Sympathy - The Corner

I'm planning to load up on weird archive/soundtrack/experimental electronic stuff over Christmas but as these will almost all be digital that's it for the years wax..

Although I notice there's a pre order for a TX Connect one on Redeye.......

In the spirit of Christmas, anyone want to tell us what their best purchase of the year was?
Well that was also my last big haul before the end of the year, although new moodymann album should be out shortly which I need to buy.

Some nice pickups to round off the year there Thumper.

Now best purchase of the year, that's a hard one, gonna have to have a real believe about that one.

It's been a very good year for releases in general.

I'm going to add in another question, whats your favourite label been in 2013? And which label has been the most consistent?
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by amadeus
So with the magic of Paypal's new pay 14 days later, thought id take advantage and bought a few slabs,

SAM - Delaphine on Delaphine
Andy Vaz - I'm Not From Detroit on Chiwax Ltd
Duplex - First Day EP on Dolly
Roger Gerressen - Remixes on Fear Of Flying
Boo Williams - Technical EP on Chiwax Classic Edition
Various - Halal Prepared Vol 2 on Boe Recordings
Juxta Position - Juxta Position Vol 1 on Mistress
Rhythmus G - Rhythmus G on Rhythmus Gnther
The White Man & The Arab - Misanthropy EP on The White Man & The Arab
Hank Jackson - The Palee Hit EP on Proibito

Managed to last two weeks without buying any, quite impressed with myself, still plenty more I want though.
Wish you hadn't remind me about the Paypal thing....I've been told no more.....for now.

So my last buys of 2013:

Hank Jackson - Palee Hit - Proibito
Ron Morelli - Back Pages - Hospital
Tom Dicicco - No Sympathy - The Corner

I'm planning to load up on weird archive/soundtrack/experimental electronic stuff over Christmas but as these will almost all be digital that's it for the years wax..

Although I notice there's a pre order for a TX Connect one on Redeye.......

In the spirit of Christmas, anyone want to tell us what their best purchase of the year was?
Lawana Mileto
So with the magic of Paypal's new pay 14 days later, thought id take advantage and bought a few slabs,

SAM - Delaphine on Delaphine
Andy Vaz - I'm Not From Detroit on Chiwax Ltd
Duplex - First Day EP on Dolly
Roger Gerressen - Remixes on Fear Of Flying
Boo Williams - Technical EP on Chiwax Classic Edition
Various - Halal Prepared Vol 2 on Boe Recordings
Juxta Position - Juxta Position Vol 1 on Mistress
Rhythmus G - Rhythmus G on Rhythmus Gnther
The White Man & The Arab - Misanthropy EP on The White Man & The Arab
Hank Jackson - The Palee Hit EP on Proibito

Managed to last two weeks without buying any, quite impressed with myself, still plenty more I want though.
Will Spinello
I haven't been able to get into his LIES stuff too much either, occasional track here and there excepted.
dan samo
I want to like Marcos Cabral as one of the more interesting artists on the LIES roster, but I've been in a record store listening to his stuff on a platter on about 3 separate occasions now, and each time I fail to take it away in a little plastic bag. I really like his long-form album'ish stuff, but I just can't part with a tenner for it.
Olin Easley
Bicep - Making Love in Public Places

Well, I didn't buy it, it was a gift. A great gift.
Will Spinello
The 90's, aye... some great stuff. But also a lot - a LOT - of shite Whenever I dig in an old 90's crate I'll maybe find one gem per hour. And that's even with the current 90's jackin trax revivalism.
Yeah. It's very easy to look back on the 90s as an era of unfettered creativity. It wasn't. There were a LOT of terrible records. I should know: I own most of them.

Anyway, talking about terrible records I caved in and bought these:

Marcos Cabral - Lad of Tar - A Harmless Deed

Unknown Prankster - Sealion1 - Sealion

Borrowed Identity - Leave Your Life - Mistress
dan samo
Originally Posted by 3heads
I'm probably gonna be picking up some stuff from the 90ies soon. A friend of mine who's been DJing since the early 90ies wants to unload part of his record collection and I'll surely take some of his hands.

And as you guys are talking about classic albums, I recently remembered how awesome "Original Pirate Material" by The Streets was. One of my all-time favorites for sure, no clue why I didn't buy the vinyl back then (apart from the music I also really like the cover, perfect for putting it up on the wall), so I believe I'll pick up a re-issue soon. Also fits right in with all that garage-influenced house at the moment.
Won't bother with hiphop at the moment (too much electronic to worry about in the meantime), though I love that stuff from the first half of the 90ies, particularly from the west coast.
The 90's, aye... some great stuff. But also a lot - a LOT - of shite Whenever I dig in an old 90's crate I'll maybe find one gem per hour. And that's even with the current 90's jackin trax revivalism.
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet
LOL, that's why opinions are great...there's no right or wrong.

If you're curious I imagine the whole thing is on youtube these days. Morris Minor was created/played by the British comedian Tony Hawkes (fairly well known here - did a lot of the support roles in Red Dwarf, wrote lots of humorous books, not the Californian skateboarder.)

EDIT: A colleague just pointed out that the single was actually called the 'Stutter Rap'. we are both agreed it did, however, have to immortal line 'No Sleep till bedtime!'.

I'd better shut up now before I start writing about how kids TV in the late 70s and early 80s was the best ever...
Lakeesha Storman
Yeah, I don't know about that, but I liked it. They even had there own short lived TV series. It's not worth tracking down....
LOL, that's why opinions are great...there's no right or wrong.
Ming Devis
I'm probably gonna be picking up some stuff from the 90ies soon. A friend of mine who's been DJing since the early 90ies wants to unload part of his record collection and I'll surely take some of his hands.

And as you guys are talking about classic albums, I recently remembered how awesome "Original Pirate Material" by The Streets was. One of my all-time favorites for sure, no clue why I didn't buy the vinyl back then (apart from the music I also really like the cover, perfect for putting it up on the wall), so I believe I'll pick up a re-issue soon. Also fits right in with all that garage-influenced house at the moment.
Won't bother with hiphop at the moment (too much electronic to worry about in the meantime), though I love that stuff from the first half of the 90ies, particularly from the west coast.
Original Pirate Material is a classic. I need to pick that up on wax
Will Spinello

When I buy vinyl, it's only House and Techno - well, electronic music really. All other genres are CD (Usually). Mind you, with the exception of a bit of jazz, a lot of classical music and Tom Waits I don't really listen to anything EXCEPT House and Techno these days.
Ming Devis
Paul's Boutique is an amazing album, one of my favorite's the Beastie Boys's did, do need to pick it up on vinyl.

Raw Cuts 1/2 is a quality EP, believe 3/4 is my favourite though, MCDE is a talented guy.

Had a chance to have a go on the Analog 4 yet Thumper?
3/4 is my favourite as well A grade deep house
Celestine Porebski

Will Spinello
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet
I agree. It's up there with Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions album as far as really being ahead of its time for a hip hop album back then IMO.

That parody single sounds hilarious!
Yeah, I don't know about that, but I liked it. They even had there own short lived TV series. It's not worth tracking down....

Yeah, just to make sure it was working. serious bit of kit, I believe. Going to be capable of some nasty sounds. Only thing missing was a paper manual - everything else (even the stickers) was still in the box. Already downloaded the manual so I'll have a look toevening . I believe it's going to take me some time to get it doing what I want. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the Machinedrum which is pretty easy to use once you get used to the interface and the thought processes behind it. This looks a far more complex beast.
Lawana Mileto
Paul's Boutique is an amazing album, one of my favorite's the Beastie Boys's did, do need to pick it up on vinyl.

Raw Cuts 1/2 is a quality EP, believe 3/4 is my favourite though, MCDE is a talented guy.

Lakeesha Storman
Paul's Boutique is a brilliant album. We were talking about the Beastie Boys the other evening , about the controversy they caused amongst the tabloid press on their first British tour. Scared ourselves a bit when we remembered that tour was in 1987....
I agree. It's up there with Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions album as far as really being ahead of its time for a hip hop album back then IMO.

That parody single sounds hilarious!
Will Spinello
Paul's Boutique is a brilliant album. We were talking about the Beastie Boys the other evening , about the controversy they caused amongst the tabloid press on their first British tour. Scared ourselves a bit when we remembered that tour was in 1987....

I used to have a copy of the parody single by Morris Minor and the Majors: No Sleep (till bedtime). Found it in a second hand shop. No idea where it is now.
Lakeesha Storman
Oops, I did it again!

No, didn't buy Brittany Spears, but was looking for the latest Todd Terje and Ten Walls EPs yesterday, neither of which was in stock at my local shop. They did however have a few other things that were interesting and drained some money...

MCDE - Raw Cuts 1 & 2
Moodyman - Dem Young Sconies / The Third Track
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (favorite hip hop album ever)
MCDE - DJ-Kicks
Lawana Mileto
Yeah, i need a new mixer too... Mine is ancient - bought in the 90s and well, well past it now. was a cheap stop gap at the time and I never got around to replacing it.

I had kind of promised myself a new toy (Either a Xone 92 or an Analog 4) and was idly looking on Juno last evening when I saw an A4 listed as B-stock. Slept on it, didn't believe it would be there this morning but it was so I jumped on it -
Delena Katherman
Ouch! Nice bit of kit but a heavy expense, that. More than a few cheeky 12"'s! I'm about to make the jump on a Xone 92, though, so I'm feeling your Xmas pain... anyone fancy a 42?
I'm looking for a 42, but I'm in the States!
Will Spinello
Yeah, i need a new mixer too... Mine is ancient - bought in the 90s and well, well past it now. was a cheap stop gap at the time and I never got around to replacing it.

I had kind of promised myself a new toy (Either a Xone 92 or an Analog 4) and was idly looking on Juno last evening when I saw an A4 listed as B-stock. Slept on it, didn't believe it would be there this morning but it was so I jumped on it -
dan samo
Ouch! Nice bit of kit but a heavy expense, that. More than a few cheeky 12"'s! I'm about to make the jump on a Xone 92, though, so I'm feeling your Xmas pain... anyone fancy a 42?
Will Spinello
Well, no more records for me for a bit.* I just bought an Elektron Analog 4 at a great price and am officially cleaned out after paying off my holiday bills. Was going to try and get one over Christmas anyway as I've been after one for ages. It'll get wrapped and stuck under the tree for the big day. Shoul'd go nice with my Machinedrum and Xoxbox.

*Well, no more records unless anything good comes out, obviously.
Will Spinello
I have to say, except for Galcher Lustwerk, I find White Material vastly over-rated. Even more so than L.I.E.S. I'm fairly suspicious of this 'raw/jackin' trend, which sometimes just seems to be an excuse to put out any old shit that someone jammed out in 15 minutes. The Ron Morelli LP for Hospital was terrible, there's no two ways about it. A lot of scuzzy Brooklyn hipsters making bank off of gullible European trend-followers :P

My $0.02 (which doesn't matter cause the records are worth 10,000x this now).
The First three were very good, IMO, but the fourth was mostly bland by the book techno that brought nothing new to the table. The Morgan Louis track in particular, which a lot of people raves about, strikes me as little different to the sub-Millsian type of loopy banger that became ubiquitous in the late 90's.

As for LIES, I believe the problem is partly their release schedule is so stupid full it does feel they're putting out stuff for the sake of it. A lot of the quality releases end up getting buried. They've had some great stuff this year but some really boring stuff too.

I really, really do like a lot of the raw analogue stuff that's coming out just now. I grew up listening to a lot of hardcore and punk and there are similarities I enjoy between the two genres. I've always disliked the sort of over produced, over analysed pseudo intellectual strand of techno where the creator has spent months fine tuning the saturation on his snare but completely forgotten about the groove. Can't be arsed with that. jam it and bang it out! That's what I say!

I quite liked the morelli album. Liked i better than several other albums ive heard this year in fact. You can call me a hipster if you want, but I don't believe I'm ever going to fit into those skinny jeans.
dan samo
I have to say, except for Galcher Lustwerk, I find White Material vastly over-rated. Even more so than L.I.E.S. I'm fairly suspicious of this 'raw/jackin' trend, which sometimes just seems to be an excuse to put out any old shit that someone jammed out in 15 minutes. The Ron Morelli LP for Hospital was terrible, there's no two ways about it. A lot of scuzzy Brooklyn hipsters making bank off of gullible European trend-followers :P

My $0.02 (which doesn't matter cause the records are worth 10,000x this now).
Bethann Olortegui
Need to pick that one up, its the one with the Kyle Hall remix on right?
Yeah, plus DJ Koze and Akufen remixes make it a nice package.

Originally Posted by LoopCat
DARK SKY - In Brackets EP
Real nice EP. I picked this up from Halcyon in Brooklyn last month along with Possible Side Effects 1.5 on Voodoo Down.
Ming Devis
And some more

COWBOY RHYTHMBOX/SANO/MANU/CAPRACARA/THE DISTRICT UNION/DJs PAREJA - Nickel Ride
DARK SKY - In Brackets EP
EDWARDS, Delroy - White Owl
MARTYNE - Parture EP
Ming Devis
COSMIN TRG - Panoramic
DRESVN - Acido 14
GRAEF, Max - Broken Keyboard EP
Will Spinello
Have a good time away then?
Yeah, great. It's a beautiful city. Lots to do, especially at this time of year with all the Christmas markets. Very laid back and friendly people too, and the best public transport system I believe I have ever used. Always thought Berlin was pretty good in that regard but Vienna wins hands down.

Still nothing for me, its been a good 4 days now. horrible.

You'll get there....just believe of all the super rare and pricey discogs buys you can make when the embargo ends!
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by matrick
Let us know if you do...

I've just picked up the Mount Kimbie remixes
Need to pick that one up, its the one with the Kyle Hall remix on right?
Bethann Olortegui
I'm considering selling off some of my more valuable pieces of wax to fund a new Xone 92... and possibly some M5G's, as I'm tired of fighting with the pitch faders on my M3D's every 3 months! Have some good digs... all of the Sunklo releases, all of the Novel Sound etc. Not sure how much I'll regret it!
Let us know if you do...

I've just picked up the Mount Kimbie remixes
Will Spinello
I'm considering selling off some of my more valuable pieces of wax to fund a new Xone 92... and possibly some M5G's, as I'm tired of fighting with the pitch faders on my M3D's every 3 months! Have some good digs... all of the Sunklo releases, all of the Novel Sound etc. Not sure how much I'll regret it!
Well, I guess if you have a complete set of Novel Sound releases now would be a good time to sell before the inevitable rereleases. (we are talking about Levon Vincent's label, yeah?) personally I couldn't do it. It would be like Sophie's choice every time..

Still, I keep looking at discogs at the prices of the White Material records and believeing "get in there, my son, before the repress!"
dan samo
Lawana Mileto
Bugger it. Only meant to buy one thing....

Floating Points - Vacuum EP - Eglo

Lumigraph - The Yacht Cruiser EP - Mr Saturday Night

Palace - Dreamscape EP - Hot Haus

Traumprinz - Mothercave - Giegling

I was only after the Traumprinz as I got my fingers burnt when the Prince of Denmark album sold out. Wanted to get this early doors.
Nice pickups there Thumper!

Still need to pick up that floating points one, lovely packaging on it!

Have a good time away then?

Still nothing for me, its been a good 4 days now. horrible.
Will Spinello
Right, this is it for defo....

Young Male - Lost My E - Work Them records.

I believe I'll have to cede control of credit card to UN peacekeeepers. Even worse, maybe I should give over to the GF.
Will Spinello
I believe unless something killer comes out before Christmas (The Austin Cessear on Proibito for example, or the TX Connect one,) That'll do me until the new year.

Yeah. Right.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy