What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?Reply
What black slabs of wax (vinyl) have you bought this week?
Posted on: 10.10.2013 by Lawana Mileto
Just wanted to see what wax people had been spending their hard earned money on?

Myself, I picked up the new;

Delroy Edwards on LA Club Resource
Delroy Edwards vs Funkineven on Apron Records
Dungeon Meat/SE62 on My Love is Underground
Will Spinello
The Body - Prince of Denmark - Giegling

Points of View - EMG - Relative Germany

Unified Fields - Third Side - Restoration US

Feel kind of guilty and wishing I hadn't, but, oh well, it's dark and cold outside, what the hell else am I going to do with that money?
Lawana Mileto
OK so I bought another one, but did sell one so it's okay.

Thought I'd finally get round to purchasing;

HUNT, Gene/JAMIE 3 26/RAHAAN/BOOGIE NITE/HUGO H/CRATEBUG - Chicago Service on Lumberjacks In Hell

Been meaning to get it for a while, some fantastic cuts over the two slabs o wax.
Ming Devis
Originally Posted by amadeus
I would like to say it was a while between orders but it wasn't really that long. And that lot just sort of happened without realising how many I'd bought.
Christmas and New Years partying has drained my funds pretty badly. Trying desperately to resist buying some new tunes until next pay. Getting over my records at the moment though, its funny how quickly you feel like you need some new wax haha
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by LoopCat
Nice selections. I need some new records!
I would like to say it was a while between orders but it wasn't really that long. And that lot just sort of happened without realising how many I'd bought.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Thumper
I believe Naples has something to do with Palace as well. don't know whether they distribute or have a wee label or something.

I was having drink with a mate on Sunday afternoon and we were talking about Parrish. I was saying that he's often been the sort of artist I kind of respect more than sometimes enjoy, if you get me; a lot of his music is beautifully produced and structured etc but just sometimes leaves me a little bit cold. My mate nods his head and says, 'yeah, but, you know, the rest of the time he just nails it'.

I believe that's spot on.
Ah that sort of makes sense, I was speaking to a friend today about it, and he mentioned that Palace have used TTT tracks in their video's, so that might also be the link.

I completely understand that, Theo is someone that even if you may not enjoy the music you certainly respect it, but my god the amount of gold this guy has produced, but yeah he just nails it. Listened to the previews again today, ep's gold, can't wait to get it, should be in the mail tomorrow.

Made the mistake of going back on Redeye only to see more stuff I want. Think I might have to wait a bit before the next order.
Will Spinello
Yeah can't wait for it to arrive, bought direct from the ttt shop, said they would be shipping it out tomorrow so hopefully get it Thursday along with the majority of the other stuff.

Still not quite sure what Palace have to do with the Theo release apart from the use of their logo, unless that really is it.

Should be able to have a good ol mix this weekend with the new stuff.
I believe Naples has something to do with Palace as well. don't know whether they distribute or have a wee label or something.

I was having drink with a mate on Sunday afternoon and we were talking about Parrish. I was saying that he's often been the sort of artist I kind of respect more than sometimes enjoy, if you get me; a lot of his music is beautifully produced and structured etc but just sometimes leaves me a little bit cold. My mate nods his head and says, 'yeah, but, you know, the rest of the time he just nails it'.

Ming Devis
Went on a bit of a spree yesterday, some new bits and a couple of old bits;

LK - Body & Soul on Big Doint
Julian Perez - FAS007.1 on Fathers & Sons
VA - Dream House 1.4 on Blind Jacks Journey
Elbee Bad vs LB Good / Line Cook - Basement Floor on Basement Floor
Dorisburg - Sinai Hypnosis on Aniara Recordings
Oosco - Antwerpen on Recit records
Lawrence - In a Rush on Smallville
Makam - Aime on Sushitech
Steve O'Sullivan - Reconstructed on Sushitech
Floating Points - Vacuum EP on Eglo
Funkineven / Fatima - Phoneline EP on Eglo
VA - Dream House 1.1 on Blind Jacks Journey
Theo Parrish - 71st & Exchange Used To Be ‎on Trilogy Tapes
Hakim Murphy - Murph Tone Jack Sessions Rmxs on Synapsis Records
Djebali - Reworks on on Djebali
Quarion - Shale Gas EP on Muhk

So only a few really, now just have to wait for them to turn up.

Thought I'd start the year with a bang.
Lawana Mileto
The Parrish one is sweet. I've been listening to 71st and Exchange... over and over again. The drum programming is astounding, but the whole thing is one of the most lovely tunes I've heard in years.
Yeah can't wait for it to arrive, bought direct from the ttt shop, said they would be shipping it out tomorrow so hopefully get it Thursday along with the majority of the other stuff.

Still not quite sure what Palace have to do with the Theo release apart from the use of their logo, unless that really is it.

Olin Easley
Originally Posted by matrick
The new HNNY one (No?) is definitely gonna big this NYE, "I don't want your number no
Ming Devis
Christmas and New Years partying has drained my funds pretty badly. Trying desperately to resist buying some new tunes until next pay. Getting over my records at the moment though, its funny how quickly you feel like you need some new wax haha
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by LoopCat
Lawana Mileto

Ah that sort of makes sense, I was speaking to a friend today about it, and he mentioned that Palace have used TTT tracks in their video's, so that might also be the link.

I completely understand that, Theo is someone that even if you may not enjoy the music you certainly respect it, but my god the amount of gold this guy has produced, but yeah he just nails it. Listened to the previews again today, ep's gold, can't wait to get it, should be in the mail tomorrow.

Made the mistake of going back on Redeye only to see more stuff I want. Think I might have to wait a bit before the next order.
Lakeesha Storman
Crazy P - Caught Up Remix
Erol Alkan - Illumination EP
HNNY / KOKO - Boy & Yob
Burial - Untrue LP
A/JUS/TED - A Brighter Light
Bernard Badie - Bernards Got the Funk
Moodymann - I Can't Kick This Feeling When It Hits
Kenny Dixon Jr - Emotional Content (Terrence Parker Remix)
Will Spinello

Ming Devis

Lawana Mileto
The Parrish one is sweet. I've been listening to 71st and Exchange... over and over again. The drum programming is astounding, but the whole thing is one of the most lovely tunes I've heard in years.

Will Spinello
Lawana Mileto

Dedra Kreinbring
I didn't see the HNNY chat on the previous page so a nice coincidence I picked Boy up.

Also bought 'No' now as well.

Greedy, but they are too good for me not to have them
Olin Easley
The new HNNY one (No?) is definitely gonna big this NYE, "I don't want your number no
Will Spinello
Some nice purchases there Thuimper, where did you find the Theo EP? And whats the Vereker release like on TTT? Haven't checked that one out yet.

Hope all you gents had a good new year!
Ordered both direct from Trilogy Tapes. I was hoping they had the new Willie Burns one as well but I believe there must have been a problem with it as it was supposed to be out about a month ago.
Lawana Mileto
I've always been the sort of person to play everything. Strangely, it seemed less remarkable to do that in the old days; probably something to do with having no more than about three genres (and two of them had the prefix 'Acid') rather than the million of increasingly silly and desperate sub genres there are now.

Lol, I digress. If you like Rodhad I recommend Sev Dah. He's one of the few 'proper' techno acts from the last couple of years I've really liked. Kind of funky and ever so slightly Old school Detroit in feel.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all. I've celebrated by buying vinyl:

Alex Falk - Terse - Proper Traxx
Jackson Lee - Lick the Knife - Mystical Disco
Appoinment - Appointment Live Act - Appointment Germany
Vereker - Slain - Trilogy Tapes
Theo Parrish - Theo Parrish Ep - Trilogy Tapes

Yup. Starting the way I meet to continue.
Some nice purchases there Thuimper, where did you find the Theo EP? And whats the Vereker release like on TTT? Haven't checked that one out yet.

Hope all you gents had a good new year!
Lakeesha Storman
Dntel / Herbert Remixes by Die Vogel and DJ Koze was the main score

and some cheap oldies, but goodies:

Ian Pooley - Loopduelle
I:Cube - Ding Ding Ding

and

Lil Louis - French Kiss
Keitha Prichard
i am not up to any yet but believeing to be on a suitable one soon so scanning through the ideas even of many of fellow members here as well
Bethann Olortegui
I'll check him out, thanks.
Dedra Kreinbring
HNNY - Boy
Coleman Dorival
Kano - I'm Ready & Holly Dolly (12" single) (Emergency Records)
Will Spinello
I've also been getting into techno a lot more. Always enjoyed raving to it but when it comes to playing I've always been a house head. Rodhad, Rrose, AnD have stood out for me and picked up some niece tracks from these guys.
I've always been the sort of person to play everything. Strangely, it seemed less remarkable to do that in the old days; probably something to do with having no more than about three genres (and two of them had the prefix 'Acid') rather than the million of increasingly silly and desperate sub genres there are now.

Lol, I digress. If you like Rodhad I recommend Sev Dah. He's one of the few 'proper' techno acts from the last couple of years I've really liked. Kind of funky and ever so slightly Old school Detroit in feel.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all. I've celebrated by buying vinyl:

Alex Falk - Terse - Proper Traxx
Jackson Lee - Lick the Knife - Mystical Disco
Appoinment - Appointment Live Act - Appointment Germany
Vereker - Slain - Trilogy Tapes
Theo Parrish - Theo Parrish Ep - Trilogy Tapes

Yup. Starting the way I meet to continue.
Bethann Olortegui
Coming back to this thread having been away a little while. The latter part of year for me was definitely getting back into vinyl and buying more and more. Something I had missed sorely. Lots of great music came out on vinyl which to be fair is always the case. Lots of my digital DJ friends always seem amazed that you can still get good music on vinyl. Never went away, never will (I don't believe so anyway).

Artist of the year for me was probably Point G. I know its all old reissues but still on point all these years later. Same can be said for the Nail stuff that got rinsed early on in the year. Mano Le Tough would win my 'Best Newcomer' vote.
Also DJ Koze remains one of my favourite DJ/producers.
Die Vogel - The Chicken definitely needs a mention as one of the craziest tracks I bought.
Dungeon Meat - The Fuck Off Track also rates highly.
Will Spinello
I've owned the first SAW on tape, CD and vinyl and I've lost every copy I've had. I don't believe I'm meant to own it.
dan samo
There have been a lot of great reissues this year actually. I believe my favourite was the reissue of Semesters II on Strength US. Now, the Jus Ed and the DJ Qu tracks are pretty nice, but everyone should own a copy of It Is What It Is by Fred P. That's one of the finest House tracks to come out in many years.
I was way more excited about actually being able to own some of my favourite albums of all time - specifically Aphex's SAW's. The Planet Mu u-Ziq compilation was a real treat, too.
Ming Devis
I keep meaning to properly check the HNNY stuff out. I like the little I've heard.
Have you heard this one?

Another 90's RNB remix. Huge bassline
Lakeesha Storman
I keep meaning to properly check the HNNY stuff out. I like the little I've heard.
Just listened to the last single, No on soundcloud. Sounds very nice. I liked it a lot.
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by afxz
and have been (re-)listening to many reissues this year: been a great year for Warp/R&S back-catalogue collectors!
There have been a lot of great reissues this year actually. I believe my favourite was the reissue of Semesters II on Strength US. Now, the Jus Ed and the DJ Qu tracks are pretty nice, but everyone should own a copy of It Is What It Is by Fred P. That's one of the finest House tracks to come out in many years.
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet
Foiled by Turntable Lab and their damn discount

The Mole People - Break Night/Oceans
HNNY - Exactly
MB Edits - Music Sounds Better With You/Music vs. The Bomb
Late Nite Tuff Guy - Tuff Cut 004
Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
Will Spinello
There has been a lot, and I mean a lot of excellent releases this year. Hard to only choose one really, I believe one thats up there for me this year has to be Huerco S. - Apheleia's Theme, absolutely fantastic release, where I dont believe a week's gone by without listening to it..
Yeah, this was a great record. I believe I preferred it to the album, if I'm honest. Not that the album was bad -it wasn't it, was very good - but Apheleia's Theme is so damn good.
Lawana Mileto
There has been a lot, and I mean a lot of excellent releases this year. Hard to only choose one really, I believe one thats up there for me this year has to be Huerco S. - Apheleia's Theme, absolutely fantastic release, where I dont believe a week's gone by without listening to it. Another notable mention has to be Miltiades - Epk.x on Nous, which has been in my bag for every gig since I bought it. And I may as well round it off to three and mention Terekke - YYYYYYYYYY on LIES, probably one of my favourite's that they've put out, it's a record I always find my self going back to.

Album wise I have to say Dwig's Forget the Pink Elephant on Giegling, I could sit and listen to that again and again.

Label wise there has been quite a few that have really stood out, relatively new label Mood Hut has really caught my attention, with three top releases, I can only see them going from strength to strength. Another new label, Greek based Nous, may of only had two releases so far but both have been top quality, and from what I've heard of the next two some great stuff lined up.

I believe though that it's either got to be Trilogy Tapes or Dixon Avenue Basement Jams for top label. To be honest I couldn't really pick between the two, both have had an amazing year. And to be honest I believe both will continue to get better next year.
Ming Devis
But I believe my label of the year is Trilogy Tapes. They have released some special records this year. personal favourites are the Tuff Sherm one, Naples and Eomac - but the best of the bunch was Firebomb by Rezzet. They've got some dynamite releases already lined up for the start of next year too - the one By Theo Parrish sounds like it might be quite special.
Rrrreally looking forward to that one
Lakeesha Storman
Foiled by Turntable Lab and their damn discount

The Mole People - Break Night/Oceans
HNNY - Exactly
MB Edits - Music Sounds Better With You/Music vs. The Bomb
Late Nite Tuff Guy - Tuff Cut 004
Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by afxz
Sounds like we're on the same page about a lot of things - PM me if you have a Soundcloud or a Mixlr or anything! Would love to hear some of these records that I missed out on put to good use

Cheers mate, will do at some point. Nothing just now. Have to get off my arse and actually do something along those lines.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy