Cables, anyone?

Home :: Marketplace :: Cables, anyone?Reply
Cables, anyone?
Posted on: 04.07.2013 by Doreen Schurle
UPDATE: 22/07/2013

These beauties are now for sale
Torrie Smallegan
Made my own speaker cables 10+ years ago, and they still work.

If you can do, do it!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Tobes
You know what would be sexy RCA connectors? Canare.

I remembered I had a custom sub RCA cable made and I LOVE the connectors on them. I believe they only fit Canare cable though as it's pretty thick gauge.

The sleeves even come in different colours. Not cheap at all though.
That looks REALLY bulky... can you fit two of them side-by-side on a DJ mixer?
Milda Poucher
You know what would be sexy RCA connectors? Canare.

I remembered I had a custom sub RCA cable made and I LOVE the connectors on them. I believe they only fit Canare cable though as it's pretty thick gauge.

The sleeves even come in different colours. Not cheap at all though.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by GeekGod
Those are nice! Any closer to being able to estimate how much these will cost to produce?
About $25-30 per Depends on how much the unit cost is on the sleeving, still waiting for my samples to arrive so I can determine which sizes to go with, and then I can get a definite quote.

Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Looks great! Shipping from the UK to US is a killer though.
Looking at about $15-20 for up to 4x 1m RCAs, maybe a couple of balanced cables too
Gaynell Rydberg
Looks great! Shipping from the UK to US is a killer though.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Those are nice! Any closer to being able to estimate how much these will cost to produce?
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by typeomega
lol that box ....

this is all i could believe of

cant wait to see some pics of the final product
Ahahaha I loved that scene.

New pictures of the prototype cables, so you can actually see them properly

Cables.jpgCables-2.jpgCables-3.jpg
Izola Larose
lol that box ....

this is all i could believe of

cant wait to see some pics of the final product
Doreen Schurle
The connector with the 3 red stripes. Not a fan of those. I have a cable which has then on both ends and they regularly unscrew. Just fyi.
Oh yeah I know, I had that problem the first few times with my own custom ones. Eventually they stop unscrewing, it's because of the way the threads are constructed; if you just keep tightening them up eventually they bite in the "tight" position... I've been using my first set of sleeved cables (the black ones) for about a month now and they're rock solid.

You can also use a pair of pliers to tighten them up completely from day #1, but I don't like doing this; makes it more difficult to unscrew them later if you need to, and there's always a risk you could crack the grounding fins or loosen the insulated pin in the centre.
Milda Poucher
The connector with the 3 red stripes. Not a fan of those. I have a cable which has then on both ends and they regularly unscrew. Just fyi.
Doreen Schurle
New package arrived today!

The nickel connectors are PERFECT. Nice fit, good construction, and good manufacturing standard. I'm very happy with my supplier Not AS impressed with the gold plated ones; they're still good, but a tighter fit than I'm personally comfortable with. Would make excellent interconnects for home use where you don't have to rig/unrig frequently.

So yeah, I believe I'll be using the nickel ones primarily as they're better for mobile use. The previous batch I received (the longer connectors) I'll be ordering in higher quantities, they look fantastic, offer a gold signal pin, AND fit as smoothly as the shorter nickel ones.

Incidentally, that's the most stamps I've ever seen on a single package (the bottom of the package is also covered in them).
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by makar1
Those are HD-25s - extremely light if that's what you're looking for, and not at all big or chunky tbh. The coiled cable version of the 25s is too heavy and pulls down enough to effectively pan the sound towards the right ear.
Ahhhh yeah you're right, 70mm pads aren't they?

Same size as the MDRs I'm using now... the chunky padding around the headband kinda threw me lol.
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
That's sick dude. I was going to do a pair of headphones but I decided to do a removable cable mod instead on some MDR-ZX100s and just use a colored 3.5mm cable The main reason is because I like light headphones, but trying to find stereo signal wire that's both thick enough to sleeve and light enough not to drag the damn things off my head is almost impossible haha. With big chunky cans like those, you've gone down the right route, and a badass-looking one
Those are HD-25s - extremely light if that's what you're looking for, and not at all big or chunky tbh. The coiled cable version of the 25s is too heavy and pulls down enough to effectively pan the sound towards the right ear.
Doreen Schurle

These arrived this morning; experimenting with a different type of RCA connector as an optional extra Nice fit and finish on these ones; nickel chassis with a gold plated copper signal pin, nice big solder cup, and the strain relief on these is particularly springy. If they prove popular I'll definitely order some more in.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
TechFlex FTW. Did mine 4 years ago. No tangled cable here and it's in tip-top condition to boot.
That's sick dude. I was going to do a pair of headphones but I decided to do a removable cable mod instead on some MDR-ZX100s and just use a colored 3.5mm cable The main reason is because I like light headphones, but trying to find stereo signal wire that's both thick enough to sleeve and light enough not to drag the damn things off my head is almost impossible haha. With big chunky cans like those, you've gone down the right route, and a badass-looking one

Someone PM'd me earlier to ask about cable shipping to the US; I did some research and it looks like (5 working day) shipping is going to cost between $10 and $40 depending on how many cables you order. If you're only ordering 2/4x 1 meter RCA cables, it's likely to be $10-20; any more than that and you're over the 1kg magic number and then we're in ParcelForce territory, which is $41 for their "GlobalValue" service. There are a few other couriers out there for larger parcels though, so I may be able to bring that down to like $30.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
TechFlex FTW. Did mine 4 years ago. No tangled cable here and it's in tip-top condition to boot.

Doreen Schurle
haha. I gotta keep costs down plus I will have to take the connections off my current headphones as they are HD25s.
Ahhhh It's a shame user-replaceable ones aren't more common tbh. I'm planning on modding a pair of ZX100s to replace my MDR-150s.
Milda Poucher
haha. I gotta keep costs down plus I will have to take the connections off my current headphones as they are HD25s.
Doreen Schurle
Out of interest where are people getting high quality connectors from in the UK? I figured there would be a decent site that sells cables and connectors so I could make myself a new headphone cable as well as replace my TT cables.
eBay usually. If your headphone has a user-removable cable I could always make you a nice braided one
Milda Poucher
Out of interest where are people getting high quality connectors from in the UK? I figured there would be a decent site that sells cables and connectors so I could make myself a new headphone cable as well as replace my TT cables.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by neilmcm
What price for 4 2m RCAs , the cables are very cool .
Still waiting on some suppliers to get back to me on pricing before I can give definitive quotes, but it's probably going to be about
Lynetta Stanislav
What price for 4 2m RCAs , the cables are very cool .
Edris Acevedo
I've been looking for coloured RCA's for ever. Definitely be interested in these.
Gaynell Rydberg
Sweet setup man!

I'm really believeing about making my own cables. Just picked up a 4 channel mixer with a Reloop Contour. Need some short patch cables.
Claudette Darnell
Yes, I bought a 30 meter RCA cable in blue and a bunch of the HICON connectors to make 12 shorter ones.

And the color matches the DJ TechTools cables perfect
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by BCC
Great looking cables!

Would have been interested if I had not just finished some DIY cables myself to match the DJ TechTools USB cables.

Custom Cables_2.jpgCustom Cables_1.jpgCustom Cables_Connector.jpg
The blue looks great I take it you bought colored cable rather than heatshrinking black stuff?
Claudette Darnell
Great looking cables!

Would have been interested if I had not just finished some DIY cables myself to match the DJ TechTools USB cables.

Custom Cables_2.jpgCustom Cables_1.jpgCustom Cables_Connector.jpg
Edwina Fagel
You could also build some good snakes.
Anyways, i would be up for a pair for sure.
Cassie Sangermano
I'd be interested in a couple of these!! You looking at doing XLR cables as well??
Iraida Linihan
Where do you get the braided cable like that?? Any USA sources?
Danae Dumler
These look good! Pioneer sells cables that aren't even as cool looking for $100/meter so I believe you'll do well at the prices you're looking to charge. Get a few of your friends to write online reviews of your cables on audiophile websites saying they enhance the overall detail and imaging of the sound quality and that the silences are much blacker with these cables, and you'll sell even more.
Maude Milesky
I'd be a lot more interested in the materials you used to make this and where you got them, I really like the colors.
Give a DJ some cable he plays for a day, teach him how to make cables and that DJ stops paying out of his ass for cables!!
Rosina Steinkuehler
I would be interested in getting a few sets as well. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with @mdcdesign
Izola Larose
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
It's funny you should mention that... was looking at Ferrite Cores for a similar effect, but I like the look of that. Where'd you find it?

http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?di..._id=784http://

i actual like the look of the via blue ones better but at $10 a pop its adding $20 to the overall price of a cable set it might be overkill

now i like the look of the nice metal casing but an alternative might be to find someone to wip a similar design up in 3d max or sketch up and then copy and past it multiple times onto a sprue (the plastic thing you brake the pieces of a model kit out of) and have it printed at a rapid prototyping lab in plastic then you could even add your own costume logo to them or even charge people a little extra to have there logo printed into it as one offs. then just order sprues of them as needed. if you want to save even further you could print out one sprue then get some molds and urethane quick set from someone like smooth-on and make them super cheep.

good luck

(remember me when handing out discount codes )
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by typeomega
so if you added something like this

fz11bcs-122-dl.jpg

to cover the heat shrink it might push up the price a bit but would be worth the price offset, especially if you can get some unbranded in bulk somewhere. it would add a nice professional looking Finnish and increase overall durability.
It's funny you should mention that... was looking at Ferrite Cores for a similar effect, but I like the look of that. Where'd you find it?
Izola Larose
so if you added something like this

fz11bcs-122-dl.jpg

to cover the heat shrink it might push up the price a bit but would be worth the price offset, especially if you can get some unbranded in bulk somewhere. it would add a nice professional looking Finnish and increase overall durability.
Wilton Keuning
I have at least two I'll buy from ya!
Doreen Schurle

I may have found a Chinese supplier for the appropriate cable, just need to wait until Monday now for them to get back to me. I've also come up with an idea for a 14mm spaced twin RCA connector for easy connection/disconnection when setting up. Would that appeal to anyone here?
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
I have Neutriks on leads for FX pedals. They are worth it in this case because they take a beating (or rather, stomping). For DJ purposes, they are not 'as' necessary. They are a luxury I can live with out.

Those cables are bitching.

I'd have the blue one in the pic if I hadn't just ordered a load of Chroma Caps.
Haha, you'll have to get saving Karlos I might have to have a chat with the DJTT people and see if I can get them into the store. Who knows, you might end up with a colour-coded set of cables with a purchase of an S4 Mk2 at some point in the future

In related news, just agreed on a purchase with a lovely Chinese factory for RCAs, Jacks and XLRs Waiting for the sun to come up today so I can visit a local supplier and have a look at some bulk cabling, and waiting to hear back from a supplier on the braiding.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
I have Neutriks on leads for FX pedals. They are worth it in this case because they take a beating (or rather, stomping). For DJ purposes, they are not 'as' necessary. They are a luxury I can live with out.

Those cables are bitching.

I'd have the blue one in the pic if I hadn't just ordered a load of Chroma Caps.

<< Back to MarketplaceReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy