VCI-400 Problem

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: VCI-400 ProblemReply
VCI-400 Problem
Posted on: 20.11.2011 by Lise Kleinhaus
Hello,

i have a Problem with the Filterknobs on my VCI-400. I show this Problem in this Video:

http://youtu.be/J-kWu1YmEyM

If anyone have an answer let me know.
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by Azu

Israel Sulka
Here is my tsi file:
http://www.club-music.cz/upload/file...0_azu_v1.0.zip
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by JP3000
Glad to see that you guys like this magnificent piece of dj controller as much as I do.
I believe we'll have a lot of fun with the VCI 400.

But I still have to figure out how to map the scratch function to my jog wheels.
Update traktor and set midi channel to all on the map.
Kraig Bluebird
Glad to see that you guys like this magnificent piece of dj controller as much as I do.
I believe we'll have a lot of fun with the VCI 400.

But I still have to figure out how to map the scratch function to my jog wheels.
Deshawn Groetzinger
I just leave key lock ON always...
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by DJ MiCL
I didn't take a close look because I don't and won't own a VCI-400 but at a quick glance at the file, it looks like the older one had a bunch of mappings in the Generic Midi device that seems to be deleted altogether. Guess they left some unnecessary MIDI maps in the firs distribution. A whole lot some... Rather surprised the filter issue was the only conflicting one??

I now what you mean with the filter. It's kind of hard to sharply snap it back to center position. I believe it's the same with most controllers/mixers out there....

DJ controllers could use a few "bend knobs" I believe. Perfect for that kind of purpose. Twist, release, springs back to center. Could have a twist, pull then latched kind of feature as well. Maybe I should patent it before I post this........
I might map the edge bottom buttons to filter on off, but would that conflict with the current setting? Also theres no key lock button, does no-one use key lock these days.
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by RD444
How different is the new map?
I didn't take a close look because I don't and won't own a VCI-400 but at a quick glance at the file, it looks like the older one had a bunch of mappings in the Generic Midi device that seems to be deleted altogether. Guess they left some unnecessary MIDI maps in the firs distribution. A whole lot some... Rather surprised the filter issue was the only conflicting one??

I now what you mean with the filter. It's kind of hard to sharply snap it back to center position. I believe it's the same with most controllers/mixers out there....

DJ controllers could use a few "bend knobs" I believe. Perfect for that kind of purpose. Twist, release, springs back to center. Could have a twist, pull then latched kind of feature as well. Maybe I should patent it before I post this........
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Burky, no need to fix map by yourself.

Vestax updated their .tsi

http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...v1.0.1.tsi.zip

Looks like they deleted the Gerenic MIDI device altogether.

Maybe this fixes other issues as well

Cheers for the heads up dude

no file included to explain any changes from vestax. I kind of prefer to have a manual filter on off to do sweeps then back to normal. How different is the new map?

..also Vestax are now sending me the OverRay* Stickers for the decks (*overlay lol)
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by basicz
want to give me the website where you bought your vci?
www.Decks.co.uk sapphires london.
Dionne Bullock
Yes there is a "Filter on" mapping. It's in "General MIDI" though - probably why you missed it.
Burky, no need to fix map by yourself.

Vestax updated their .tsi

http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...v1.0.1.tsi.zip

Looks like they deleted the Gerenic MIDI device altogether.

Maybe this fixes other issues as well
Dionne Bullock
i found out there is more info on a download pdf from vestax called "OverRays.pdf" is the overlays document
Vestax is totally overrayted, man

They fixed the link for the overlay.

http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...0/Overlays.pdf
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by Burky
so i check it with the EQ Mapping. This works fine, all the way up and down. But when i manual map the Filter, the same Shit again.

In the Mapping tsi ist no Filter ON Mapping. I have the same Idea...but there is no Mapping Filter ON, that really suprised me...
Sorry if I missed someone else already solved this?

Hi Burky,

Yes there is a "Filter on" mapping. It's in "General MIDI" though - probably why you missed it.

It's mapped to CC16 of CH3-6(for A-D respectively) Looks like the Knob rotation is mapped also so that it "holds" the filter ON. Probably thought it was a pretty clever idea to physically stop sending the message at center when the led is off (thus releasing the hold state) but totally forgot that hold is also released at CC value 0!

I would suggest you just delete the four "Filter on" messages, but you should also check that the CC value for the Knob is 63 or 64 (or -0% or 0% on the GUI) as soon as LED goes off, or else you could be fooled that the filter is in active just because the LED is off.

Don't understand why they didn't stick to their old "send a note at center click" method.

I reported this to Vestax Japan.

Penelope Coughenour
want to give me the website where you bought your vci?
Kacy Wehrmeyer
awesome blossom thank you RD444 you've been so much help...and by the looks of it i can just use an eu to usa power converter and it'll work..cant wait to get this...sold all my gear , now i just need a website to buy it from.

make sure you haggle bro (mine was
Penelope Coughenour
awesome blossom thank you RD444 you've been so much help...and by the looks of it i can just use an eu to usa power converter and it'll work..cant wait to get this...sold all my gear , now i just need a website to buy it from.
Kacy Wehrmeyer
instead of an actual sticker for the unit..... vestax include a pdf?

PSU with rotating pins

plug pins rotate 360 degrees

Ena Collyer
Well i have now decided i am selling my S4 and buying the VCI400 in the UK mainly for two reasons...

1. Since selling my VCI 100 Arcade i have missed the Vestax Jog wheels and solid metal build,

2. The S4 is a plastic pile of crap, sorry crap's too strong a word for a highly functional piece of kit that cost the earth on release, but it has gotten away with murder for it's " feel ", it feels like a pile of crap! For all the time i've used it i have never fully forgiven it. My 1210's are solid, my Pioneer mixer is solid.. if controllers are to get any real credibility they should be solid too.

I'm sure being an open source controller the Vestax will be FULLY mappable by the ordinary user, unlike the S4 where at this point if you map the unit yourself you lose the led readout on the controller, now that's a pisstake.

For all the time the S4 has been out there has been no real customisations apart from Knobs and Skins could that be because the S4 is that good or is it because it is uninspiring.
Corliss Michalke
Would you be so kind as to do a video displaying the unit?

the only videos online are of the preproduction units....

I'm seriously considering selling up the DJM-800 and other controllers i have and buying this, this week!
Kacy Wehrmeyer
i found out there is more info on a download pdf from vestax called "OverRays.pdf" is the overlays document

explains the traktor map

although i didn't actually get the traktor overlays with the unit (ie the sticker)
i only got blank ones

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/det...86&parent_id=8

http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...0/OverRays.pdf
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by eeloe
Is the stock mapping fully useable out of the box?

yeah its pretty good

still a few bits i don't know

i put x x for the buttons i dont know, also is there a button to lock the pitch?

shift and bottom right small buttons (in the 4x3 pad)
changes hotcues/move/beat grid per deck

shift and bottom right on right side changes deck c and d size
shift and bottom right on left side changes views

middle bit does the record stuff section, mini fader adjust wet dry (i banked the fader out with my text sorry)

Traktor has a really crappy use of space with the FX and record stuff at the top so to see the FX you have 2 huge blank spaces.

Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by escapemcp
Found manual on Vestax site, and it has all the info there on channels etc (page 22 of manual).
glad you got sorted

it's a shame they havent included a guide to what the buttons are mapped for as regards the traktor map? I've had a look through the pokey Traktor window but its a real pain to find things out that way. I might write to them.
Corliss Michalke
Is the stock mapping fully useable out of the box?
Sulema Eshel
Found manual on Vestax site, and it has all the info there on channels etc (page 22 of manual).
Sulema Eshel
i found out i had to set MIDI input and output to 'all channels' not 'just vci400.'
Ouch! So I am going to have to move my other devices OFF of the channels that VCI400 uses (not possible on some of mine )... otherwise sending data on channel 1 for example, will result in lots of my other controllers lighting up when Traktor sends a midi on message (several are on channel 1). Will also mean conversely that input commands will be doubled up (change something on one of my other 'channel 1' controllers and it may well activate a function on the VCI400.

Any ideas how many channels the VCI400 uses? Which channels does it use by default?

Thanks,

escapemcp
http://soundcloud.com/escapemcp
Penelope Coughenour
the power converter is like the vci 300 (i'm not 100% if its identical) but has a clip on swivel bit on the end. I'll post some pictures later with more info.
thank you so much!
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Ive been believeing about buying this, but im from the US. is there a difference if i get it shipped to me? Like power converter, etc. Or is this product going to be identical to the ones we (US) will get in march mext year? Thanks for the reply.
the power converter is like the vci 300 (i'm not 100% if its identical) but has a clip on swivel bit on the end. I'll post some pictures later with more info.
Kacy Wehrmeyer
cheers guys

quick update

i tried Traktor 2.2.1.1 and scratch moves the deck now but ony by a very tiny amount, 300 turns to 1 second of music!.

any ideas whats happening?
i found out i had to set MIDI input and output to 'all channels' not 'just vci400.'
Corliss Michalke
Since this is available via Thomann, I'm seriously considering picking one of these up, it really appears to be all I want, 4 deck control, small footprint, useable jogwheels....

Hmmm.

To sell my djm800 or not?
Kacy Wehrmeyer
cheers guys

quick update

i tried Traktor 2.2.1.1 and scratch moves the deck now but ony by a very tiny amount, 300 turns to 1 second of music!.

any ideas whats happening?
Sulema Eshel
Cheers

Very good info

I believe i am using an older traktor. I don't upgrade until I have to. Now i have to upgrade :eek:.

Many Thanks I'll post back when its all sorted
Could just remap - in 2.1.1 believe it's called jog scratch. You would need to delete this and enter the following commands for each jog:

In <2.0.3, you need to map
1) "Scratch" to Jogwheel
2) "Scratch on" to the midi note that gets sent when you touch the jogwheel
3) Um... *believe* it's jog search/pitch bend (someone help me here!) to the jogwheel.

That will result in a jog that bends when using the outside surface, and stops the record and scratches when you touch the jogwheel like vinyl. Sensitivity can be adjusted individually for the pitch bend and scratch modes.

Seeing that I may have helped you out... my fees are not cheap. Give me your 400 & we'll call it quits! :eek:
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by Azu
RD444: TSI work only with Traktor 2 2.1.1. In version 2.0.3 not work jog for scratch. 2.1.1 has a different function for mapping the jog wheel.

Filter knob not send midi command in left and center position. Version 2.1.1 has a new mapping command for filter and if not send MIDI commands from knob, Traktor set the filter off.
Pitch fader not send midi command in center position (when led light red)

With a sound I have the same problem. If load track to next deck, sound crackling. If switch form fullscreen mode to normal or switch to other application, sound crackling and drops out to 1-2 sec. It did increase the maximum latency. CPU indicator in Traktor is at 20-30%.
Tested here on three computers (Win XP, Vista, win 7, ram 2, 4 GB, cpu AMD, Intel dual core 2.8GHz, Traktor Pro 1.2.8, 2.0.3, 2.1.1).
Traktor + VCI400 only as controller without sound card + Audio8DJ working properly, latency 4ms. In Virtual DJ sound working properly too.

ASIO4ALL not applicable because VCI-400 driver not WDM (only ASIO).
Cheers

Very good info

I believe i am using an older traktor. I don't upgrade until I have to. Now i have to upgrade :eek:.

Many Thanks I'll post back when its all sorted
Israel Sulka
RD444: TSI work only with Traktor 2 2.1.1. In version 2.0.3 not work jog for scratch. 2.1.1 has a different function for mapping the jog wheel.

Filter knob not send midi command in left and center position. Version 2.1.1 has a new mapping command for filter and if not send MIDI commands from knob, Traktor set the filter off.
Pitch fader not send midi command in center position (when led light red)

With a sound I have the same problem. If load track to next deck, sound crackling. If switch form fullscreen mode to normal or switch to other application, sound crackling and drops out to 1-2 sec. It did increase the maximum latency. CPU indicator in Traktor is at 20-30%.
Tested here on three computers (Win XP, Vista, win 7, ram 2, 4 GB, cpu AMD, Intel dual core 2.8GHz, Traktor Pro 1.2.8, 2.0.3, 2.1.1).
Traktor + VCI400 only as controller without sound card + Audio8DJ working properly, latency 4ms. In Virtual DJ sound working properly too.

ASIO4ALL not applicable because VCI-400 driver not WDM (only ASIO).
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by weltraumpapst
is guess you have the (crappy) official vestax tsi. is the vinyl button lit? did you actually map the seek function?
hi

I have the map i got from the vestax site. It had the seek position mapped to Shift(M1) and wheel. but no normal scratch?

I looked through the tiny pokey traktor window and it doesnt look like scratch has been mapped? so much for the out of box experience lol. Should i write to Vestax or is it easy to map scratch?
robin loo
I had a go on mine today and can't get it to scratch through tracks

It's not the touch sensitivity, and i can see the jog wheel light change colour. The track stops when i touch or move the wheel but it doesn't scratch or move through the song at all?

If i hold shift (modifier 1) and the wheel it does 'seek position' but i can get it to scratch.

Is my controller faulty or do i have funny settings.

Is scratch working on other people's VCI400s?
is guess you have the (crappy) official vestax tsi. is the vinyl button lit? did you actually map the seek function?
Kacy Wehrmeyer
I had a go on mine today and can't get it to scratch through tracks

It's not the touch sensitivity, and i can see the jog wheel light change colour. The track stops when i touch or move the wheel but it doesn't scratch or move through the song at all?

If i hold shift (modifier 1) and the wheel it does 'seek position' but i can get it to scratch.

Is my controller faulty or do i have funny settings.

Is scratch working on other people's VCI400s?
Deshawn Groetzinger
Hi there! New to the community . I've ordered my VCI-400 yesterday from MusicStore. 899 Euros for Greece. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'll need some help with the mapping but I believe I'm in the right place....
Katy Delafield
www.thomann.de < ships to the US on request.
robin loo
the german musicstore ships internationally.. not sure about the US though..

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/CHF/V...DJE0004305-000
Penelope Coughenour
I have that i want it now, ill but it now mentality..lol and a couple hundred bucks isnt that much when compared to how long the vci will get released in the US...4+ months? Thats like a dollar or so a day..i could live with that.

Can you direct me to a UK website that is in english? Thank you for the response and help!
robin loo
Originally Posted by JP3000
@weltraumpapst: Will you throw your S4 in the garbage or operate the controllers parallel to each other?
hehe.. no. two main controller are too much.. will sell my s4 as soon as i got a nice mapping for the 400. will probably create my own (maybe based on the vestax mapping) until djtt will release its mapping..

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy