The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: The making of a laptop stand.... The NonstandReply
The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand
Posted on: 29.03.2012 by Floria Regoli
I was wandering to make a super easy to use laptop stand wich let me pass the cables under my laptop and keep it far away from spilled drinks... also portability its a must and the "easy to assembly" factor needs to be a priority....

So in a moment of enlightment I remember that I have a degree on architecture and design... and this is what I get... The Nonstand

This are the 3d images of the project so when i get a prototype im gonna update it.

The idea its a ribbed structure with hinges for easy assembly, its a ribbed structure to let you laptop fans breath and also have some rubber parts to keep your laptop on its place, the holes on the ribs allow you to pass through the cables of your usb stuff a

Unassembled looks like this, and de idea that this also havea small bag to keep it safe during transportation

This is the green rubber and black plastic version... to add some color and style to the stand

A version with some flashy graphics...

and of course a aluminum version wich looks super professional and sturdy...

Im gonna keep you updated on how is it goin with this DIY project... till then.... tell me what you believe!!!
Era Roka
Guy, if you sell this thing for 30 bucks and you ask DJTT if they want to make a blog post about it you're gonna sell a huge amount of stands!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
What is the price you're aiming at?
I dont know exactly the price... but I believe something near the 25 - 35 bucks including packaging for the lower Version...

the higher I dont even ended the design... shipment I have no idea yet... and payment maybe some paypal stuff or something like that...
Era Roka
What is the price you're aiming at?
Somer Vanstraten
aw, i'm working for a Architect, and i'm studying architecture and design, and you can't imagine how i like those mockups.
keep it up, can't wait for real pictures!!
smaller one, seems very good to me, maybe the taller yes, more skinny and like, trapezium structure?

anyway, i'll buy one of those.
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
the NonStand or RibStand sounds pretty cool BTW

or maybe something like Ribs HIGH and Ribs LOW!!!
Era Roka
the NonStand or RibStand sounds pretty cool BTW
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by ajrindy
really dig it. This is one of the most elegant ideas I've seen for a laptop stand, and to me it looks a lot less shaky and more stable than conventional ones. Would love to see a real, tangible, completed version.
Already working on that, tomorrow I have a prototype... Pictures coming and small video...
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
Very interested in this!! I was hoping for an higher prototype.
about the higher prototype:

works like this...

This is the mockup that Cionni want it... I still developing this to find weakpoints... for example i alreaddy notice that the legs of the stand gonna need a rib to keep them together steady... also i was changing my mind and instead of paralell legs, maybe do it look like a tree... anyway this is the other version i was working.

-----------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I was going to the cutting service today but I catch a cold this past weekend and last evening was a horrible evening with fever, lots of cough and headache... but now im feeling much better so I delayed the visit to the cutting service for tomorrow thursday, to make a prototype on MDF wood.

About the lower version

- Added a new rib.
- More consistent structure.
- Small hangers in the front to make the laptop resto peacefully over the stand.
- Make it a little bit larger, the idea its to put over this a 14 to 15 inches laptop.

looks Sturdier than the original version and maybe its gonna be the second stage of the design process, anyway im gonna make both versions to see what works better and also convenient to do.

Also a question:

Somebody have a name for this?... I was believeing something like "Ribcage" or "Ribstand" or something proper to its morfology, but what you believe??? suggestions are welcome
Somer Vanstraten
Originally Posted by Nontablist
mmm good sugestion for a mod... im gonna believe on that for a future version... also im designing a second version but a little bit like one of those laptops stands like the uberstand or the crane stand...
Very interested in this!! I was hoping for an higher prototype.
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by photojojo
And it would be super easy to mount a USB fan in the center towards the back to suck some heat out.

mmm good sugestion for a mod... im gonna believe on that for a future version... also im designing a second version but a little bit like one of those laptops stands like the uberstand or the crane stand...
Leeanna Ayla
And it would be super easy to mount a USB fan in the center towards the back to suck some heat out.
Era Roka
Originally Posted by Nontablist
dont worry if this goes well im gonna make a few to share with you guys
cool!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
I really want this.
dont worry if this goes well im gonna make a few to share with you guys
Floria Regoli
i cant use kickstarter because im from outside usa
Floria Regoli
actually it is and the estimated cost is here... in few days more ill be updating this thread with pics of the cutting process and some picture of the final prototype... and maybe a video performing with this thing... keep on track fellas
Bryan Suga
Dude. Get a kickstarter. Make this. It's a great idea.

i'm assuming you can probably cut most of it out using a laser?
Sally Walkowiak
I really want this.
Zenobia Rochow
Keep me posted as well, I'd be interested in this
Somer Vanstraten
can we have a mockup?
Floria Regoli
already send this to build a prototype... so in the next week ill be updating this thread!!!
Floria Regoli
its the idea les shakiness... more stability... and more useful to manage cables and stuff
Sally Walkowiak
I would buy one of these.
Somer Vanstraten
(Y)
Floria Regoli
Update:

Right now im getting some estimates on laser cutting service...

Also i modified some pieces to make it sturdier....

Soon a prototype!!
Floria Regoli
sure its is a lil bit overegineered... im already developing a 2.0 version
Era Roka
looks cool!
Brunilda Kora
Looks really nice - bit over-engineered, though? You could just buy 2 coolballs to allow cables to pass under the lappy, and allow for cooling/rising above any spilages...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-Coo...ht_2443wt_1037

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Notebook-N...ht_5718wt_1037
Brock Ricapito
really dig it. This is one of the most elegant ideas I've seen for a laptop stand, and to me it looks a lot less shaky and more stable than conventional ones. Would love to see a real, tangible, completed version.
Somer Vanstraten
Nice mate, really.
I was only hoping for an higher version
Floria Regoli
also somebody know how to change the size of the pictures???

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy