The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: The making of a laptop stand.... The NonstandReply
The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand
Posted on: 29.03.2012 by Floria Regoli
I was wandering to make a super easy to use laptop stand wich let me pass the cables under my laptop and keep it far away from spilled drinks... also portability its a must and the "easy to assembly" factor needs to be a priority....

So in a moment of enlightment I remember that I have a degree on architecture and design... and this is what I get... The Nonstand

This are the 3d images of the project so when i get a prototype im gonna update it.

The idea its a ribbed structure with hinges for easy assembly, its a ribbed structure to let you laptop fans breath and also have some rubber parts to keep your laptop on its place, the holes on the ribs allow you to pass through the cables of your usb stuff a

Unassembled looks like this, and de idea that this also havea small bag to keep it safe during transportation

This is the green rubber and black plastic version... to add some color and style to the stand

A version with some flashy graphics...

and of course a aluminum version wich looks super professional and sturdy...

Im gonna keep you updated on how is it goin with this DIY project... till then.... tell me what you believe!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by truewind
Why don't you do the same thing as the guys from Quneo did? Make them pledge a certain amount of money (basically they would be "pre-ordering") so that you can muster the necessary funds much quicker!

If you need help, I could try to market this stand in Mexico. I am deffly interested in one of these! however I am even more interested in the High "DVS" version!

Why not make this stand be able to "Lock" into the tree base? So instead of making two seperate stands, the "tree base" is an add-on?
this is a great idea!!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
How are you doing dude? Long time ago i heard something from you.
working like a maniac to raise some money... almost with no time... sorry for this hiatus its being along time and lots of things happen... if you ask for the stand... im raising money for that, but the time its not my allie by now and its so friggin slow to advance...

so in the meantime its me tired as hell doing alot of gigs and working a lot on my houses!!!
Kasandra Kreindler
Why not make this stand be able to "Lock" into the tree base? So instead of making two seperate stands, the "tree base" is an add-on?

^ This
Leonora Synstelien
Originally Posted by Nontablist
soon, as quickly i can get enough money for mass production!!!
Why don't you do the same thing as the guys from Quneo did? Make them pledge a certain amount of money (basically they would be "pre-ordering") so that you can muster the necessary funds much quicker!

If you need help, I could try to market this stand in Mexico. I am deffly interested in one of these! however I am even more interested in the High "DVS" version!

Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by PeteWoods
oh, but we can! piezo-electrics!
that would be a nice mod!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by randyp4
i want one, where can i buy one
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by guiltyblade
I'm in love with it. I totally could see myself using a small one for home and a large one for gigs. I hate hate my stanton stand and don't want to shell out for a crane stand.
youre not the first hating the usual stands!!! my frien v-live also hates his own stand!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by mjhokin
This looks really great so far, Interested to see further designs on the taller stand, you could really turn this into your own business and develop stands for speakers, drum pads, cdj's ect in the future all with this cool ribcage type look.

Also If you need a graphic designer to help with a logo ect I can help ^_^
Go ahead suggest something!!!
Era Roka
Any updates?
Floria Regoli

this is a great idea!!!!
Floria Regoli
working like a maniac to raise some money... almost with no time... sorry for this hiatus its being along time and lots of things happen... if you ask for the stand... im raising money for that, but the time its not my allie by now and its so friggin slow to advance...

so in the meantime its me tired as hell doing alot of gigs and working a lot on my houses!!!
Era Roka
Keena Grus
I am in love with this stand. I believe the colored acrylic (I believe that's what it's called) with some leds would make a cool glow under your laptop that would probably impress anyone who saw it. And the ability to like them takes away the need for a larger controller stand. What if you added a smaller piece to fill the empty hinges while linking for those of us who would?
Era Roka
How are your plans working out?
Kasandra Kreindler

^ This
Leonora Synstelien
Originally Posted by Nontablist

Era Roka
good to see that your still working on it
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by PeteWoods
that would be a nice mod!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by randyp4
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by guiltyblade
I'm in love with it. I totally could see myself using a small one for home and a large one for gigs. I hate hate my stanton stand and don't want to shell out for a crane stand.
youre not the first hating the usual stands!!! my frien v-live also hates his own stand!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by mjhokin
This looks really great so far, Interested to see further designs on the taller stand, you could really turn this into your own business and develop stands for speakers, drum pads, cdj's ect in the future all with this cool ribcage type look.

Go ahead suggest something!!!
Floria Regoli
Sorry for the hiatus guys...

This last weeks were like hell to me!!! lots of work with almost no money to do nothing...

But the design process its not stopped at all and the project its not dead, so this few weeks with no development, i take the prototype to some testing on real situation already survives 2 weeks of gigs... exactly 5 gigs with me, 5 more with my man FatPablo, and V-live, all of them succesfully, and with the following suggestions like the hooks in front of the stan need to be modified (mockups on the way)

As I can see there is a lot of people following this process... so keep on track this month gonna be slow!!!

Thnx for the patience guys!!!
Alla Bluemke
Janette Liposky

Dominick Aycox
Birgit Gondal
Originally Posted by dripstep
I really like the color of that plexiglass. It would be kinda cool to route some holes in, and put LEDs inside. Run it off a watch battery so you aren't using up valuable USB space. If we could only turn music into electricity
Era Roka
jhea
Sally Walkowiak
Keep the dream alive!
Era Roka
cool bro
Floria Regoli
sorry for the waiting and stuff... im abit stuck with some work on my job, also lots of travelling... for this week im gonna make a pause on it... anyway i aready have some estimates on a full manufacutirng process...
Era Roka
Any news?
Era Roka
The abillitly to link 2 stands together is a real pro IMO
Era Roka
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
Link please
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3236551092 (0,80 E per meter)

The only problem is that it is sold in china and the most sellers don't speak english.
To solve this problem you can hire a TaoBao agent. www.taobaonow.com is a good one that doesn't scam you. Unfortunatly this will cost you quite a lot of money. So in the end this isn't exactly 0,8 per meter, unless you can find another way to buy it and ship it. (local friend)
Floria Regoli
So... Today we have a long day walking to different acrylic dealers, also Im gonna drop the idea of a metalic version, mainly becauso on posible inductor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor) basicly because can cause drop outs on gear , and thats a thing I dont want to cause on your next big dj set!!!. so for now wood and acrylic are the best options for production and also also the polycarbonate its forbidden basicly because the laser cut produce a toxic acid, that could intoxicate somebody or broke the laser machine.

I have here at my hand a sampler with lots of options of acrylic, so im gonna try first the "solid color acrylic", basicly because they are thinner than the "fluor acrylic", or at least im gonna see if i can find a thicker version.

I was fooling around with the 2 prototypes together and discover that the actual stand its extensible...

A good property of the design, wich gives some flexibility and more uses to the stand, also you can make vary the inclination between extensions.

Well, as usual, I still recieving suggestions for the name, believe in something to print on the pieces of the stand, also suggestions are welcome and thanks guys for the support.

Spread the word fellas!!!
Somer Vanstraten
Instead of leds you could use electrolumiscent wire too (i love that stuff) if you wan't to use it i can post a link to a cheap seller 0,70E for one meter
Link please
Era Roka
Instead of leds you could use electrolumiscent wire too (i love that stuff) if you wan't to use it i can post a link to a cheap seller 0,70E for one meter
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by derschaich
u serious?
dead serious
Allene Manitta
u serious?
Floria Regoli
this week im on research for materials... during the week Im gonna post some mockups of the higher version, also I have some job interviews, so be pacient!!!

Off topic:

Today I load the olv sony with ableton live 1 and 4, runs quite slow, but reproduce 4 chanels of audio perfectly, also looks super geeky... but check it out anyway...

I was believeing to use it for some audio modules have, an old Roland MC-307 Groovebox, and a Roland MC-09, basicly to manage midi signals to the devices...
Somer Vanstraten
Originally Posted by dripstep
I really like the color of that plexiglass. It would be kinda cool to route some holes in, and put LEDs inside. Run it off a watch battery so you aren't using up valuable USB space. If we could only turn music into electricity
I was believeing the same!! Some LEDs with a small battery, so no USB port used for light
Should be awesome

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy