The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: The making of a laptop stand.... The NonstandReply
The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand
Posted on: 29.03.2012 by Floria Regoli
I was wandering to make a super easy to use laptop stand wich let me pass the cables under my laptop and keep it far away from spilled drinks... also portability its a must and the "easy to assembly" factor needs to be a priority....

So in a moment of enlightment I remember that I have a degree on architecture and design... and this is what I get... The Nonstand

This are the 3d images of the project so when i get a prototype im gonna update it.

The idea its a ribbed structure with hinges for easy assembly, its a ribbed structure to let you laptop fans breath and also have some rubber parts to keep your laptop on its place, the holes on the ribs allow you to pass through the cables of your usb stuff a

Unassembled looks like this, and de idea that this also havea small bag to keep it safe during transportation

This is the green rubber and black plastic version... to add some color and style to the stand

A version with some flashy graphics...

and of course a aluminum version wich looks super professional and sturdy...

Im gonna keep you updated on how is it goin with this DIY project... till then.... tell me what you believe!!!
Era Roka
have been checking this thread all day, checking for the new stand can't wait
Yong Aptekar
I really like the color of that plexiglass. It would be kinda cool to route some holes in, and put LEDs inside. Run it off a watch battery so you aren't using up valuable USB space. If we could only turn music into electricity
Era Roka
cool, but i prefer a more soild collor.

but, i'm sure this will sell too
Floria Regoli
http://www.cpchile.com/contenido.php...d_categoria=31

what you believe about this???
Era Roka
I can't wait for that mockup
Floria Regoli
Also the idea its having a quite thin figure... im gonna make a mockup to show you this idea!!!
Somer Vanstraten
I know well this machine mate, all those exams at university ahah we cut our piece of models with it!
I was believeing of doing some drawing myself and go for a plexiglass cut
If I'll do it I'll post here cause its your idea
Somer Vanstraten
Originally Posted by Nontablist
well...

I was waiting some friends outside a theater... so they callme and tellme they are delayed about an hour, so instead of waiting in a cold autumn evening , I walke to a grocerie store to buy a hotdog...

sddenly i really need to draw somehting, so I ask for a pencil and paper and draw this!!!

So thing is that a higher version looks alittle bit like a chicken feet... also have the same jigsaw concept, and the cables, run though inside this leg.

Im gonna make some mockups to detail it better
Yeah, I see what you are believeing about!!
Nice concept, it should be stronger in the center with all those pieces.
Floria Regoli
well...

I was waiting some friends outside a theater... so they callme and tellme they are delayed about an hour, so instead of waiting in a cold autumn evening , I walke to a grocerie store to buy a hotdog...

sddenly i really need to draw somehting, so I ask for a pencil and paper and draw this!!!

So thing is that a higher version looks alittle bit like a chicken feet... also have the same jigsaw concept, and the cables, run though inside this leg.

Im gonna make some mockups to detail it better

Also check this video of the laser machine cutting one of the prototypes!!!

Era Roka
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
What was your new idea about the high version?
i'm curious to
Somer Vanstraten
What was your new idea about the high version?
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by Nontablist
really????
Rigid Inflatable Boat.... mmm curious!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
you guy's know that a RIB is a inflatable boat, huh?
really????
Era Roka
you guy's know that a RIB is a inflatable boat, huh?
Lynell Piechocinski
Great work, looks amazing. Something different
Cherryl Aghazarian
go with ribcage, gives it a quality durable and strong name/feel about it. also people will be able to relate to it.
Floria Regoli
Im waiting some friends outside a theater, smoking... Something came to my head about the higher version of the stand!!! Drawing soon arriving home!!!
Era Roka
Yes, i definetly agree with Conni, i will pay much more for a fluorescent plexiglass stand than for a wooden.
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
Higher but not that higher for 2 mm plexiglass, you can made more versions, with different material, I'll pay more for a stand make of fluorescent plexiglass
also thnx for the support bro...
Floria Regoli
A 3mm milimeter plexiglass it is maybe too thin... but coul be super cheap to cut, but also i have to design more pieces!!!...

Soon new prototypes, but in the meantime... rehearsals of my liveset...
Somer Vanstraten
Higher but not that higher for 2 mm plexiglass, you can made more versions, with different material, I'll pay more for a stand make of fluorescent plexiglass
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
i would not recommend you hooks and stuff like that, just keep it simple, and Nonstand sounds great! Plexiglass sounds good but more expensive to, i believe it's really important to find a good balance between these two.
i believe for now the model stays as it is... next mods gonna be for a v2 version, like the small hooks and stuff like that...

Yes, plexiglass have a higher price... but I was testing with some pieces of plastic... especially fluor colors... looks awesome, and create some cool effects with different lights...
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
Or you could just build little hooks into it like this:Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.55.59 AM.jpg
that is a good idea... for the spine model could work perfect...

Im already checking if I have to remove a bracket to make more space and cheaper fabrication...

I was believeing something like this in a future version...

This squared thing is the caliber to check the wood before and after cutting, but the idea is cuttin some hinges inside the holes for cables, and stuck cable in there!!!!

the other way its make pigtail holders...
Era Roka
i would not recommend you hooks and stuff like that, just keep it simple, and Nonstand sounds great! Plexiglass sounds good but more expensive to, i believe it's really important to find a good balance between these two.
Sally Walkowiak
Or you could just build little hooks into it like this:Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.55.59 AM.jpg
Sally Walkowiak
What if you tried something like this for cable management? Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.51.26 AM.jpg
Floria Regoli
good combination... transparency = absence = nonstand = no stand
Somer Vanstraten
Ah! Transparent stand -> nonstand. Like it
Somer Vanstraten
Nice nice nice.
I would suggest a plexiglass one, don't know ATM if I'll prefer completely transparent or with matte finish (like mf top)
Floria Regoli
From this point im goin for the first material prototypes, you can sugest a few materials, or recommend them!!!

By now the list is:

- MDF wood (depicted in the pictures of the prototype)

- Lexan (transparent. solid color and also transparent with tints)

- Plexiglass(transparent. solid color and also transparent with tints)

- Aluminum

- Native woods

- Others???

Remember to suggest some colors, and why not textures or stuff like that

Also check the possible name list and suggest a few:

- Rib-stand (pretty self explanatory)

- Ribcage ( I love this one)

- Rib Low (this one its cool because the higher version for DVS systems version I suppossed its gonna be called Rib High)

- Nonstand

- JigRib

I believe a good name needs to be almost self explanatory of the product, so be creative!!!
Floria Regoli
UPDATE!!!

The new prototype is here...

FIXES!!!
- Fixed the problem with the wiggling, of the firs prototype.
- Hinges have really small fillets to make the stand easier to assembly.

This prototype was made with the intention to test if the "production criteria" works fine, and actually do it perfectly.

All the wiggle of the old prototype was replaced with incredible sturdiness, and I mean that its really rigid, all the joints are stable, dont wiggle at all, and the stability of the prototype its just superb.

(Actually im writing this with my laptop over the stand, and it feels like writing on a table.)

Also the grip of the wood to the surface of the table, without any rubber, its freaking awesome, prove of that??? I plug my trigger finger, get some sample on a drum rack and smassh the hell out of the prototype ding drums, and works great!!!

I take time to put computer and other devices over the prototype, so i take a little trip to a an apple store, and its pretty cool how it looks and work with oter stuff!!! Except with Ipads because they have a rounded back, it wasnt terrible anyway, the angle to work with it is great!!!

With smaller computer works fine anyway,I test this little 11 inch macbook air.... and works fine!!!

If you want to take a look on how big it is, this is the stand over a 17 inch macbook,I also put this computer over the stand too, but i dont take a pic (sorry), and looks awesome, also pretty sturdy feel!!!

About the "cable management", right now Im writing then of a small rehearsal.. .everything just go perfect... al the cables are in its place, they are not wiggling around, except for a few that I leave outside the stand.

To me it looks pretty neat, withou al the usb and power cables goin everywhere on the table

So now what you believe guys????

as usual, thanks for following this thread... also, all suggestions and ideas are welcome!!!
Floria Regoli
I believe the black burnt edge looks nice to me, could be a finishing to this wood versions...

Also the plexiglass, dont get the burnt, just look exactly lke the plastic...
Floria Regoli
LOVE IT!!!... was believeing that the higher version would be Spine... and the lower Ribcage...
Floria Regoli
Note:

About the higher model...

That project is in develop, but first im gonna give priority to this one. If it works well, and get in the stores, im gonna give green light to other ideas I got.

the prototyping of the higher stand its gona wait a lil bit, because it needs more believeing yet, also im prettybusy believeing about materials, costs of production money to bring up the bussiness, website, and how to make it to you guys in djtt.

Cionni, dont worry its gonna be here the higher version, just need more time to develop, frs because a need a complete dj set to test the prototype, wich I can get in a few weeks with a friend, just be patient!!!
Cherryl Aghazarian
idk if im too late on the name, but what about...

"the ribcage"

idk, but im interested. looks cool
Floria Regoli
I hope... Im putting everything in this thingie already!!!

(I mean blood, guts and the money that I dont have!!!)
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by pilmat
Very nice and simple concept. I used to make vacuum forming jigs the same way

Can I suggest CNC routing the material? It will lower the stress put on the material and avoid the burnt edge, also your accuracy of the parts should go up. Cost wise you should run lower cost in higher production too.

Material wise, the sky is the limit, especially if you go with routing. I am NOT a fan of acrylic (plexi glass) or polycarbonate (lexan) as neither are particularly good engineering materials, but if routed both would work quite well (the re-cast of acrylic is very susceptible to crazing after lazer cut, just put a drop of alcohol on it and you'll see)

The only engineering change I would suggest is that the laptop is supported by the braces and not the legs with the stoppers. This might avoid some of the rocking that could happen if the laptop is a bit undersized to the stand (like yours is back in your room).

Another point is that the pieces could be easy to lose, try to believe af a way to hold them all together
Plexiglass and lexan works pretty well for this... the laser cut do it perfect, and also review a few list of material.

If this thingie hit the store. I believe we go to the cnc router, because it have more precision than laser.

principally the rocking issue was a thing of impresission in laser cut but it is already fixed.

thanks for the advices my friend!!!
Sylvia Greener
Simple but almost revolutionary concept. Looks great! Looking forward to see this in the DJTT store!
Corine Kasman
Very nice and simple concept. I used to make vacuum forming jigs the same way

Can I suggest CNC routing the material? It will lower the stress put on the material and avoid the burnt edge, also your accuracy of the parts should go up. Cost wise you should run lower cost in higher production too.

Material wise, the sky is the limit, especially if you go with routing. I am NOT a fan of acrylic (plexi glass) or polycarbonate (lexan) as neither are particularly good engineering materials, but if routed both would work quite well (the re-cast of acrylic is very susceptible to crazing after lazer cut, just put a drop of alcohol on it and you'll see)

The only engineering change I would suggest is that the laptop is supported by the braces and not the legs with the stoppers. This might avoid some of the rocking that could happen if the laptop is a bit undersized to the stand (like yours is back in your room).

Another point is that the pieces could be easy to lose, try to believe af a way to hold them all together
Somer Vanstraten
I wanna go make a plexiglass prototype, transparent uuhhhhh

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy