The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: The making of a laptop stand.... The NonstandReply
The making of a laptop stand.... The Nonstand
Posted on: 29.03.2012 by Floria Regoli
I was wandering to make a super easy to use laptop stand wich let me pass the cables under my laptop and keep it far away from spilled drinks... also portability its a must and the "easy to assembly" factor needs to be a priority....

So in a moment of enlightment I remember that I have a degree on architecture and design... and this is what I get... The Nonstand

This are the 3d images of the project so when i get a prototype im gonna update it.

The idea its a ribbed structure with hinges for easy assembly, its a ribbed structure to let you laptop fans breath and also have some rubber parts to keep your laptop on its place, the holes on the ribs allow you to pass through the cables of your usb stuff a

Unassembled looks like this, and de idea that this also havea small bag to keep it safe during transportation

This is the green rubber and black plastic version... to add some color and style to the stand

A version with some flashy graphics...

and of course a aluminum version wich looks super professional and sturdy...

Im gonna keep you updated on how is it goin with this DIY project... till then.... tell me what you believe!!!
Era Roka
if you need help with something, don't really know with what i could help, i'll be absolutley to do that. If you need an website i deffinetly recommend you wordpress, super easy and cool looking.
Floria Regoli
the size its a little bit bigger than a macbook 13 inches...

about the stand for bigger controllers... I was believeing to make a surface for al off my gear , but first I have to end this.

Also thanx for the support to everyone... I know gettin this far with a design project its dificult... but I know i can get far with this... only need some work...
Era Roka
First of all congratulations with this big step, the prototype looks wonderfull! I don't know how big this stand is but i believe a little bit larger one for DJ controllers (S4, vci-400, ect.) would be a great idea as well. I understand you need to finish this first, but maybe in the future. I would not atatch any hooks or little things to the stands, it looks sturdy and minimalistic, and i believe that a lot of people like that.

Again, great that you made it this far already. A lot of people don't.
Floria Regoli
sure go ahead if you got some ideas to it...bring them
Somer Vanstraten
Sure, this could be a nice feature, if you don't mind I'll look myself for an modified version of the higher one if I'll have time.
I'm really really interested in this one, and maybe, maybe, I can bring some help
Floria Regoli
also if you want to make suggestions or bring some ideas would be awesome...i was actually believeing in internal cable holder... something like small hooks to keep it more organized the cable salad!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by CionniAsDj
Great work!!!! Congrats man.
Will follow the thread with huge interest
Thnx bro... maybe next week I got a second protoype with the corrections, and maybe the protoype for the higher version.

stay tuned!!!
Somer Vanstraten
Great work!!!! Congrats man.
Will follow the thread with huge interest
Floria Regoli
the laser cut gives that black finish, basicly its a burned black color... also smells like burned cardboard!!!

i love it..
Kristofer Krauel
Awesome thread this is!! Well done man!!

Does the laser give the cuts the black edge? i like it.

Looks great with a laptop sitting on top of it. I'm massively impressed with you and your product!!
Patrica Giancaterino
Looks awesome! It'd be even cooler if you could use something like polycarbonate that the buyer could customize themselves with spray paint and whatnot. Either way that prototype is looking good.
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by Patch
Well done to you for taking it from concept to design to prototype in such a short amount of time.
thnx bro...

keep on touch with this thread to know how is it goin
Brunilda Kora
Well done to you for taking it from concept to design to prototype in such a short amount of time.
Floria Regoli
as usual... ideas... suggestions, and stuff like that are welcome!!!
Floria Regoli
This is a little bit like a chronicle about today!!!

So this morning I Woke up Earlier than usual, today I take a samll trip to the southside of my city, especifically a place called "Pe
Kristofer Krauel
Following this with great interest. Love the design but i love more the fact that we can see this built from the ground up. Good luck man!
Somer Vanstraten
Can't wait for the pics
Era Roka
I'm almost 100% sure the store want's this. I can't imagine DJTT refusing to sell this awesome stand!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by dripstep
Perhaps the store can support the community as many members support it, and sell your nonstand. Possibly on consignment? Looks like there is enough demand for this, I sure would like one.
i believe the store coul support his comunitty with stuff like this... about the selling method im not pretty sure right how is it work DJTT... anyway thanks for the support... thank you all!!!
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by brian_johnstone
Back on-topic..... I WANT ONE!! definately interested in either black/green or alu.... how about a clear acrylic? anyway.. i like this a lot and when apart would take up next to no space in my bag.
clear acrylic would be one of the versions...
Floria Regoli
First go for the protoype and make the proper modifications to it... then make it to the stores!!!!

Im goin to the laser service right now so in a few hour im back updating all of you with the prototype and some test and nice pics... till then see you guys...

Thanks a for the support guys this means a lot!!!...
Yong Aptekar
Perhaps the store can support the community as many members support it, and sell your nonstand. Possibly on consignment? Looks like there is enough demand for this, I sure would like one.
Golden Faubert
Back on-topic..... I WANT ONE!! definately interested in either black/green or alu.... how about a clear acrylic? anyway.. i like this a lot and when apart would take up next to no space in my bag.
Floria Regoli
About how you get this things from a group of pulses.

The design its not that difficult, you can get the shapes out of a spectrogram, or at least a theoretical mathematic model from a numer of pulse cycles, put it inside a a 3d software and get models of that in 3D.

About "fit in" and "taste":

Commonly design try to answer questions, and its better when design make questions (like the how the hell you do that, thats a great question)

When im designing I never believe in stuff like "taste" or "fit in", because a good design is a good design always, like the Technics SL-1200 its a good design, actually it is so good that even the company stop manufacturing them we still comparing every turntable on the market to the this 30 year old design, technics never believe in "taste" or "fit in", they were believeing in how to make the best turntable.

About my how I get these thing and the pro looking:

I got a degree in Architecture and Urban Planning, speciality on media/computer based design and parametrical models, till now 2 years of experience working as a freelance architect, making houses and stuff like that recently I get the oportunity to work with a company called NOT S.A., wich is a group of architects and designers who develop objects and projects on every scale (From toys to urban planning), also they work on the area of digital manufacturing, wich is make digital models and a machine (CNC Routers and Laser cut) can manufacture in a efficient way.

The software I used is Rhinoceros 3D, Grasshopper, VRay, RhinoVBS scripting and Autocad.
Era Roka
Looks cool, but not if it doesn't fit in with the rest of your furniture, ofcourse you designed it so it wil fit in with your interiour. By this i don't mean that the rest of your furniture needs to be made out of wave forms but this combined with some 60's furniture would look a little bit weird. But the fact that you made it out a wave form of a song you like, makes it really special, so if it fit's in i would go for it. But how the hell do you design these things?? it looks really pro!
Floria Regoli
a litle bit off topic....this is a table im working also... its called unknown pleasures...

so... I really like Joy Division, and i was believeing about the art of the record unknown pleasures... on how it looks that graphic in 3d!!!

so I get the image, wich is the image of a the cycles of a pulsar star, and build this topology....

then I select a piece of this 3d topolgy wich i find interesting and imagine a plane of glass wich is get penetrated by the topology and the result is this...

a detailed view of this topology going through the glass.. wich is more a visual trick!!!

Also the name looks pretty appropiate to the project... so what you believe!!!
Era Roka
Dude, this is gonna be a huge succes(don't know if i spelled that right)! I really believe 80% of the dj's is searching for something like this. Relative cheap, something that won't let their gear fall down, and amazing good looking. I don't know what the production cost's are but i would ask about 50 bucks for it.
Sally Walkowiak
I'm currently using a homemade pvc laptop stand. Spent nine bucks making it. It works for parties...
Floria Regoli
Actually thats why im doing this...

Because it is too expensive get a laptop stand that cost more than a 100 bucks, its just ridiculous!!! and if you pay less than 60 its a piece of shit!!!
Sally Walkowiak
Still, the Crane Stand is what, 150 dollars, and doesn't do anything with cable management, right? I'd be happy to buy anything under a hundred. I believe a lot of people would.
Era Roka
Still, the us will be one of the biggest buyers
Floria Regoli
oops mistake... its free inside the U.S... but they do worldwide except to Malaysia!!!!
Era Roka
Wait stop, do they ship free worldwide?!

EDIT: i just checked and they don't
Floria Regoli
I was believeing the same... if I send one its expensive super expensive... but dj ranking s have free worldwide shipping... that would be cheaper
Era Roka
Cause you live in chille i quess the shipping to the us would be a little expensive too. So maybe you could send a bunch to DJTT for in the store or something.
Floria Regoli
but we need the ended product first... to get an more precise estimate
Floria Regoli
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
What woud shipping to europe (NL) be?

something like 20 bucks extra
Era Roka
What woud shipping to europe (NL) be?
Floria Regoli
Im gonna do it guys... but first have to build it and then take it in to mass production!!!

SLOW GUYS SLOW!!
Sally Walkowiak
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
Guy, if you sell this thing for 30 bucks and you ask DJTT if they want to make a blog post about it you're gonna sell a huge amount of stands!
THIS SO HARD!

Go for it!

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy