VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!Reply
VCI 100 TP2 Overlay...WE WANT ONE!!!
Posted on: 11.06.2011 by Deeanna Gripshover
Just before I say anything, I absolutely love this site and appreciate all of the work the djranking s team are doing for the controllerist community....however...

I really believe they should consider very carefully the possible decision to not create a new TP2 overlay for VCI 100. I love the arcade edition which I bought from the store and when I purchased it I was of the understanding that future support would be there.

In my opinion the VCI is still up there with any controller on the market as long as the DJTT team invest time and effort on mappings.

Please remember the shockwaves sent out when DJTT first released the 3.0 mappings, I am 100% sure this will be the case again when they release the TP2 mapping, however, without the overlay, it will struggle to match 3.0 success.

DJTT still sell both the SE and Arcade editions on the webstore therefore I feel they owe all future customers a promise of support especially given the $799 price.

The work they are doing with the midifighters is amazing but I really hope they don't fall into the trap of concentrating solely on one product. This relatively new controllerist community thrives on variety and evolutuion!

Please show your support for a new overlay by contributing to this thread.

Gareth
Cyndy Noujaim
Just upgraded to Traktor Pro 2 and came back to DJTT to get the proper overlay for it - figured there would be one here ready to buy by now! Surprised to read that it's become such a saga.

Not sure who's reading this, but if you guys can get one put together I'm sure you'll:

a) sell a large number of them
b) bring an entire generation of old-school DJTT evangelists (who have been promoting the site/brand via word-of-mouth for years now) back on-side so we can love you again and continue spreading the good word.

As it is now I don't know what to do...
Jodi Lacerra
I was hoping to have more concrete news by now, but all I can say is that I fully expect an official overlay for the v4 mapping to still happen, it is just taking much longer than hoped (sorry again) due to all of the other projects we have going on at DJTT (and the fact that most of my VCI work has been on off hours). I will be sure to update you guys once I have a firm date (which will hopefully be soon).
Hazel Oeschger
If you make an overlay I'll buy a VCI-100se with it.
Somer Vanstraten
Noone here got a good template? So i can edit it by myself and print a custom overlay
Suzanna Paddock
Originally Posted by dillinger23
DJTT is a business at the end of the day, but there is a feeling that the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater by abandoning the VCI, and also DJTT was built on the promise of constant updates and fresh overlays for the VCI and many many machines (particularly SEs) were sold on that basis. All that aside Flashflooder is a GOD DAMN ROCKSTAR !!!! for keeping on with the support for the old lady. His efforts are VERY much appreciated by all of us, and he deserves more recognition than he gets......
.... but DJTT as an entity has kinda behaved a little slack with regards to the VCI, and some of us feel a little dissilusioned.
+1 gotta agree on that one
Dena Chinn
DJTT is a business at the end of the day, but there is a feeling that the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater by abandoning the VCI, and also DJTT was built on the promise of constant updates and fresh overlays for the VCI and many many machines (particularly SEs) were sold on that basis. All that aside Flashflooder is a GOD DAMN ROCKSTAR !!!! for keeping on with the support for the old lady. His efforts are VERY much appreciated by all of us, and he deserves more recognition than he gets......
.... but DJTT as an entity has kinda behaved a little slack with regards to the VCI, and some of us feel a little dissilusioned.
X2
Lizabeth Peight
Laquita Cofsky
DJTT is a business at the end of the day . They need to sell stuff otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford the staff to do these overlays and mappings, and other things that probably don't net them much money. I believe Flashflooder mentioned somewhere a while back that he is doing a lot of this stuff after hours, so there must still be some love for the VCI over there.

It's probably going to be the last overlay, so I believe its best to wait for a rock solid mapping everyone is happy with, then the overlay should be good for years to come.
Lizabeth Peight
last official word i heard from flashflooder i believe as an answer to a direct email question on the subject was that as of 2 months or so ago, it was more likely than not, but they were not prepared to make any promises. Theyre so in tight now with NI and promoting and making money of both the S4 and the S2, who can say whether it will actually happen. You, I and many others believe there should (and THEY should) be released at least one final full TP2 (with sample deck support) overlay, but i personally suspect they are just hoping we all give up asking about it, and the problem goes away.... But i still live in hope of being wrong!
Darren Fawber
any word on the overlay? im going to be purchasing a new overlay soon but im not sure if i should hold off
Lizabeth Peight
Unfortunately brother I did not do the work myself, and have lost touch with the guy that did (emails and phone calls unanswered... who was that masked man), I can't be of help, but certainly others on here will be able to.

good luck!
Lorelei Przybylowicz
Hey guys, got an email after a recent enquiry re: overlays, and the message seems to be that one being done is more likely than one NOT being done, so lets hope thats the case, cause of this.... i was actually believeing of selling mine online. Finally calling it quits and believeing about an S2, but after taking some pics, and videos in the dark it hit me why i can never part with mine. My arcade buttons spaces were modded with dual colour (blue/green) lit arcade buttons and no other controller in the world will ever have DISCO MODE to be enjoyed in the dark when I've had a couple too many
I hope that an overlay does come - I've only just loaded v4 and can't wait to get playing.

[Offtopic]
You have the LEDs and Arcade buttons working ? I've just bought an arcaded moded VCI 100 and I'm keen to get the LEDs working too.
Do you have a thread where you have discussed this at all? I created one here if you wouldn't mind giving me some help:
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=37128
[/Offtopic]
Lizabeth Peight
Hey guys, got an email after a recent enquiry re: overlays, and the message seems to be that one being done is more likely than one NOT being done, so lets hope thats the case, cause of this.... i was actually believeing of selling mine online. Finally calling it quits and believeing about an S2, but after taking some pics, and videos in the dark it hit me why i can never part with mine. My arcade buttons spaces were modded with dual colour (blue/green) lit arcade buttons and no other controller in the world will ever have DISCO MODE to be enjoyed in the dark when I've had a couple too many
Vernon Vanderberg
im going to have to chime in and voice my support for a T2 Overlay. lets send the VCI off proper...
Floyd Buensuceso
Flashflooder,

Just to add my support for the idea of getting an overlay for TP2. Like others who've written here, I've learned so much from DJTT and really appreciate all the efforts you guys put in to keep this great site going. I bought my VCI-100SE and v3 overlay a couple of years ago and love it - I just want to add my voice to those asking that DJTT recognise there are still lots of us using this great piece of kit and would be happy to pay for your efforts in keeping it up-to-date.

All the best, keep up the good work.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by Cheek Bone
Thanks for the update flashflooder, can we take it because you are having to do this work in your own time there is no longer any support for the beloved VCI 100 from DJTT corporate ????
Well, I will still be supporting the VCI-100 (on behalf of DJTT) should there be any mapping issues/bugs and we will still support any hardware issues if the unit has been recently purchased so we are still technically supporting the VCI-100.

However, I am not sure how much further development there will be with the original VCI-100 (especially because the controller is no longer being produced) if that is what you are referencing. That won't stop it from being a great tool still though.
Cecile Eyo
Thanks for the update flashflooder, can we take it because you are having to do this work in your own time there is no longer any support for the beloved VCI 100 from DJTT corporate ????
Deeanna Gripshover
Originally Posted by flashflooder
I just posted the initial version of the VCI-100SE v4.0 mapping here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=34931

I am hoping to make an overlay for this mapping but I have not had time to finish designing it yet. Please don't take this as a definite (and don't quote me from months ago if I said we would make one), I want to make it happen and will try my best to do so.

In case you guys aren't aware mapping is a very small part of my job and I wish I could devote more time to it. For example, I ended up doing most of this new VCI-100 mapping work at home on my own time.
Firstly thank you very much for doing the mapping, it's hugely appreciated.

I didn't start this thread to hate on you or DJTT it was just to show how interested people would be in an overlay. I take my hat off to you for creating the mapping especially as you said you did it in your own time.

Thanks again and hope you find the time to create an overlay, I'm sure there'd be plenty of people out there, including myself, who would be more than happy to give you a hand.

Nice up yourself!!
Jodi Lacerra
I just posted the initial version of the VCI-100SE v4.0 mapping here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=34931

I am hoping to make an overlay for this mapping but I have not had time to finish designing it yet. Please don't take this as a definite (and don't quote me from months ago if I said we would make one), I want to make it happen and will try my best to do so.

In case you guys aren't aware mapping is a very small part of my job and I wish I could devote more time to it. For example, I ended up doing most of this new VCI-100 mapping work at home on my own time.
nelson herzon
I have been quite vocal on this community , but the the fact is, were I in their position I doubt I would have exhibited as much character as they have up until recently and would gladly have sold my soul for 13 pieces of silver ages ago...! I'm almost certainly a massive hypocrite!

.......saying all that... even it there is only one more before the VCI ceases to evolve and starts its gentle fading into obsolescence and obscurity.... I just want one proper TP2 overlay.... just one to send the VCI off in proper f***ing style.
I am completely with this guy don't let the vci fall off like some cheap controller out there. This will always be the first serious DJ MIDI CONTROLLER. Just one more and the VCI Will PUT the kids to bed.
Lizabeth Peight
I have been quite vocal on this community , but the the fact is, were I in their position I doubt I would have exhibited as much character as they have up until recently and would gladly have sold my soul for 13 pieces of silver ages ago...! I'm almost certainly a massive hypocrite!

.......saying all that... even it there is only one more before the VCI ceases to evolve and starts its gentle fading into obsolescence and obscurity.... I just want one proper TP2 overlay.... just one to send the VCI off in proper f***ing style.
Hipolito Scionti
Just so its all crystal, this thread was started by Daw-z and me specifically to address the fact that a mapping AND overlay had been promised by DJTT themselves, this is a direct quote from Flashflooders first post re: the 3.6.4 mapping

"Just to clarify, DJ Techtools is planning on making a new mapping and overlay for the VCI-100 with Traktor Pro 2 with new functionality but this is not it. There is another thread I made for suggestions or requests for features to be included in that upcoming mapping here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...d.php?p=262979"

there it is in black and white folks, ... undeniable...fact. the full thread can be read at http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=28029

So this is not as if I and some rude others who once bought a television from sony have now suddenly decided to demand that Sony make a new TV exactly how we want it just because we bloody well want them to, this is simply not the case.

1. They quite clearly said they would. See quote above.
2. There was then total radio silence on the matter, emotions would not have run so high if there had just been a lot more direct and upfront communication about all this, and them saying..."actually guys, you know what? it might not happen now" would have been so easy.
3. DJTT has sold and continues to sell VCI-100SEs BASED on the unique selling point that "fresh mappings AND overlays are continually updated".. that bit of marketing is STILL on the site, but i've already sought out two old quotes here and i cant be bothered to look for a third, but it is on there, and quite easy to find, but remember folks, people have been continuing to buy the VCI SE on the understanding that they will be able to keep updating it... if that is not the case, DJTT should be honest about this, and this is actually pretty out of order and false promises.
4. This entire site and community was built of the back of the VCI being pimped by DJTT, selling overlays (and SEs) all paid for by us. The members of this community... now it is wonderful that Ean and the gang brought us all together, and for that I and the rest of us will be eternally grateful, it has been a wonderful ride together has it not? but there is a real feeling of dare i say it.. betrayal, that now DJTT has turned into a proper business, selling S4s and other gear , and marketing the VCI 100 as a bedroom toy!!!!!! EXSQUEEZE ME????? W ... T ... F ?????? a bedroom toy? kind of rude really, and a revisionist rewriting of the last 4 years... apparently i was never a DJ.. i was playing with a toy in my bedroom, this added to the fact that Vestax no longer make the machine and DJTT are buying up all the old machines and cornering the market to sell a product that they no longer need to offer anything unique for as they are effectively replacing Vestax.
these are all the points that have concerned a great number of us... its not a question of hating... there are few haters here, and i'm certainly not one of them as i hope would be obvious.... but like the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas before me, I refuse to go gently into that good evening , and choose to fight, fight against the dying of the light!

Yeah, fair point. Their communication could have been better. But I give them the benefit of the doubt a bit cause i imagine their intentions have no malice.

How ever there is a wiff of google about DJTT, ie starting out purely altruistic, motivated by trying to do good and then getting sucked into the business world.

I agree they promised something and they should deliver on that promise or communicate better.

The VCI as a bedroom tool was very cheeky. In fairness they did drop that from the site though
Lizabeth Peight
Just so its all crystal, this thread was started by Daw-z and me specifically to address the fact that a mapping AND overlay had been promised by DJTT themselves, this is a direct quote from Flashflooders first post re: the 3.6.4 mapping

"Just to clarify, DJ Techtools is planning on making a new mapping and overlay for the VCI-100 with Traktor Pro 2 with new functionality but this is not it. There is another thread I made for suggestions or requests for features to be included in that upcoming mapping here: http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...d.php?p=262979"

there it is in black and white folks, ... undeniable...fact. the full thread can be read at http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=28029

So this is not as if I and some rude others who once bought a television from sony have now suddenly decided to demand that Sony make a new TV exactly how we want it just because we bloody well want them to, this is simply not the case.

1. They quite clearly said they would. See quote above.
2. There was then total radio silence on the matter, emotions would not have run so high if there had just been a lot more direct and upfront communication about all this, and them saying..."actually guys, you know what? it might not happen now" would have been so easy.
3. DJTT has sold and continues to sell VCI-100SEs BASED on the unique selling point that "fresh mappings AND overlays are continually updated".. that bit of marketing is STILL on the site, but i've already sought out two old quotes here and i cant be bothered to look for a third, but it is on there, and quite easy to find, but remember folks, people have been continuing to buy the VCI SE on the understanding that they will be able to keep updating it... if that is not the case, DJTT should be honest about this, and this is actually pretty out of order and false promises.
4. This entire site and community was built of the back of the VCI being pimped by DJTT, selling overlays (and SEs) all paid for by us. The members of this community... now it is wonderful that Ean and the gang brought us all together, and for that I and the rest of us will be eternally grateful, it has been a wonderful ride together has it not? but there is a real feeling of dare i say it.. betrayal, that now DJTT has turned into a proper business, selling S4s and other gear , and marketing the VCI 100 as a bedroom toy!!!!!! EXSQUEEZE ME????? W ... T ... F ?????? a bedroom toy? kind of rude really, and a revisionist rewriting of the last 4 years... apparently i was never a DJ.. i was playing with a toy in my bedroom, this added to the fact that Vestax no longer make the machine and DJTT are buying up all the old machines and cornering the market to sell a product that they no longer need to offer anything unique for as they are effectively replacing Vestax.
these are all the points that have concerned a great number of us... its not a question of hating... there are few haters here, and i'm certainly not one of them as i hope would be obvious.... but like the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas before me, I refuse to go gently into that good evening , and choose to fight, fight against the dying of the light!
Deeanna Gripshover
There are some really interesting comments on this thread but the thread's purpose was to see how many people would like a new overlay for their VCI, not whether DJTT should make one or not.

It is hoped, by some of us, that the interest on this thread and the subsequent facebook page is enough to warrant an overlay, if not then I'm sure we can explore some of the other avenues posted here.

I'm not hating whatsoever, it's a pretty common thing to have a petition for something you believe many people would want.

Cheers for the support!!
Hipolito Scionti
In 10 years time when we're using holograms and lazers to control Traktor v10 you all going to be bugging DJTT for a free VCI mapping...
Scarlett Saupp
I'm not impatient and I'm not biting any hands
edit: on the plus side though, this thread has received some much needed activity ^_^
Jolyn Brunello
i understand your impatience though buddy we all want this.i just believe dont bite the hand that feeds you.
Scarlett Saupp
fair enough
Jolyn Brunello
Originally Posted by dafe
I'm just saying DJTT has always set the expectation that mappings are free, so don't be surprised if people don't agree with you. No disrespect here, I just disagree with your opinion
djtt haven't been the ones to suggest that,but most people understand the amount of not just mapping hours but creative development that had to go into this and are happy to show some appreciation by way of funding.as the vci is now not being manufactured ranking s could've fairly said that it wasn't economically worth doing anymore and it would've had to have been swallowed by us.so no i don't agree with your opinion at all and i would like to believe im not in the minority here.
Scarlett Saupp
Originally Posted by calvin01
did you not buy the vci for the current mapping at the time.it was worth the money to you right??.well times change so why are djtt obligated to keeping it current.i would say they are doing us a massive service and respect should be given pal.
I'm just saying DJTT has always set the expectation that mappings are free, so don't be surprised if people don't agree with you. No disrespect here, I just disagree with your opinion
Jolyn Brunello
Originally Posted by dafe
I forked out almost a grand for a vci-se arcade way back when (oz money) amongst other purchases, so I'm not going to feel bad about my expectations in receiving a free mapping, as the expectation set on purchase was that mappings were free. fin.
did you not buy the vci for the current mapping at the time.it was worth the money to you right??.well times change so why are djtt obligated to keeping it current.i would say they are doing us a massive service and respect should be given pal.
Leeanna Ayla
If there is no overlay why not just order one from one of the skin manufacturers?
Jolyn Brunello
Originally Posted by jimmymac
If the overlay does not go in to production and without stealing anyones thunder, perhaps DJTT would be happy to pass on the manufacturer details and we can organise to produce one ourselves under some sort of group buy mechanism direct with the manufacturer. As a graphic designer by trade I would be more than happy to do the design/layout tweaks needed to match the new mapping...Just a thought to solve the issue.
Scarlett Saupp
Originally Posted by MaxOne
I believe we need to be fair to DJTT. This probably isn't going to be a massive money spinner for them and they are doing it anyway.

Especially if they release the mapping for free with no overlay then there's no money in it at all!?

I believe they should charge (a small sum) for the mapping if there is no overlay as it's clearly a lot of work.

And if you lot all moan about that then god help us.

If they do it and release it for free there should at the least be a paypal donation link cause there's should be no such thing as a free lunch.

Just my thoughts...

Very excited to see new mapping btw
I forked out almost a grand for a vci-se arcade way back when (oz money) amongst other purchases, so I'm not going to feel bad about my expectations in receiving a free mapping, as the expectation set on purchase was that mappings were free. fin.
Jolyn Brunello
Originally Posted by ZachDero
We are close to being finished with the mapping. I know you have been hearing that for a while, but just today one of the major bugs in the mapping was solved. The mapping is definitely a HIGH priority right now, and Chris has been spending the majority of his time working on it. These mappings take many, many, many hours to perfect. It is not a simple process and it's hard to predict exactly how long a mapping will take to create due to unexpected bugs.

We apologize for the lack of response, but we have replied to several threads stating that we are working on it. We are doing the best we can to get this mapping out to everyone, but we are a very small team here and have many things to juggle.

We will release the mapping when it is ready, get feedback from everyone, make changes if necessary, and then decide whether or not to go ahead with an overlay.

Thank you all for being patient, it's almost ready, and from what I have seen so far I'm sure everyone will love it.

cheers zach.the same people would be on your back if its too buggy so i believe the majority of us are happy to wait and appreciate the effort.
Doug Bieling
Originally Posted by sno
really glad to read that.
florian
Why are you happy? What more do you know that we didnt already know after this statement?

We know one is in production but still havent been given any idea of when one will be out
Hipolito Scionti
I believe we need to be fair to DJTT. This probably isn't going to be a massive money spinner for them and they are doing it anyway.

Especially if they release the mapping for free with no overlay then there's no money in it at all!?

I believe they should charge (a small sum) for the mapping if there is no overlay as it's clearly a lot of work.

And if you lot all moan about that then god help us.

If they do it and release it for free there should at the least be a paypal donation link cause there's should be no such thing as a free lunch.

Just my thoughts...

Very excited to see new mapping btw
Deeanna Gripshover
Great news about the mapping!! Really bad news about the overlay which is a real shame. Thought that the extremely positive posts on this thread may have swayed them. Awesome ideas above if they decide not to make an overlay. Not sure why they are believeing of not doing it seeing as Dillinger pointed out that this thread has an absolute ton of interest for one.
Lizabeth Peight
two great idea from the two previous posters, and I would hope a great indicator along with the many other posts in this and the other thread that there IS the demand for a new overlay. Also, surely you would then just be able to put any new overlay on your reconditioned units??? Whatever happens, I believe I speak for everyone in saying that we are glad to have heard something on this at last and that dialogue has started again. So DJTT, like I say to one of my oldest buddies when he finally gets in touch...."Don't leave it so long next time.. Cause its ALWAYS nice to hear from you!
Petio Petev
If the overlay does not go in to production and without stealing anyones thunder, perhaps DJTT would be happy to pass on the manufacturer details and we can organise to produce one ourselves under some sort of group buy mechanism direct with the manufacturer. As a graphic designer by trade I would be more than happy to do the design/layout tweaks needed to match the new mapping...Just a thought to solve the issue.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy