Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Johnetta Olewine
got any productions floating around gerty?
Romelia Stankard
Thanks!

I'm so glad I finally built shelves for the studio monitors. It's tight as it is in this nook and I had no space before. I'm kinda wondering if I should've wenty with 3/4" ply instead of 1/2" since it dips a little bit. Seems pretty sturdy though so I'm not really worried about them falling.

They are at the perfect height with the angled pads pointing down and the sound is perfect-a little better than before when they were sitting flat on the desk.

I still wish I had a little more space on my desk but it will do for now.
Barton Rigazio
i love this thread :-P thanks for the pics xone!
Romelia Stankard

Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by dave04045
Where did you get the blue LEDs that are on your IKEA booth?
Ikea. They are Dioder light kits.
Maryalice Solaas
Where did you get the blue LEDs that are on your IKEA booth?
Lang Abriel
Thank you sir, I was gonna figure it out otherwise, i believe i saw some youtube videos on it a while back...ill give it a go.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Rukks
I've seen that ableton skin/GUI a few times now....where did you find it?
I made it- here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?ifagqs4hyl45l2c
Lang Abriel
I've seen that ableton skin/GUI a few times now....where did you find it?
Romelia Stankard
Update:

brother got me some maschine gear for xmas. the raised trim is really well made and useful.

The overlay slides on perfectly and doesn't interfere with the buttons at all which is cool.

2nd ipad for dual touchable setup. I still can't get lemur to work on PC but for ableton I'm probably just going to stick with Touchable, I believe it's a lot better than mu in a lot of ways.

Now I just need spare time to dedicate to producing.
Romelia Stankard
Added an ipad 2 32gb. I'm not at home but it will be for running two instances of touchable
Terese Bachorski
Loreta Tessay
Nice one! I like the set up bro.
Carlee Pickard
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Easily.

I can tell the difference in sound between a DJM and a DB4, the traktor internal mixer is also a huge difference. As soon as you engage a filter it is a dead giveaway but even if you don't the sound from the DB4 is totally clean and transparent and overall has professional studio sound quality where the traktor internal mixer, well, sounds like the traktor internal mixer. EQing isn't the same, the meters in traktor don't work right, and when you EQ there is a huge difference.

On the DB4 you don't need to EQ all that much compared to other mixers since it has this natural way of kind of gelling everything together. When you are EQing on it it is kind of more detailed sculpting to enhance it even further where on a lot of other mixers and with traktor you are EQing just to get it to mix right.

I'm not saying other mixers are really bad, the DB4 is just on a different level and until you play with one on good speakers it's hard to understand.
Ahh I gotcha! Thanks man .

I'm going to definitely check it out soon. I can't justify the expense yet, but one day maybe .
Basil Forshee
Pretty nice EQ then! Sure I'm gonna love my DB2 . Xonetacular, did you receive my message?
Maryanne Weatherill
Nice setup dude.

Really jealous of the maschine at the moment im torn between a Mikro or the fully blown version. But thats for another thread.

Anyway just out of interest why are you using two monitors i know the extra real estate is handy but do you use it for a specific purpose?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
Can you really tell the difference between the DB4 and S4 mixers? Just by the sound "quality"?

Im really curious as I have never used a mixer that costs that much.
Easily.

I can tell the difference in sound between a DJM and a DB4, the traktor internal mixer is also a huge difference. As soon as you engage a filter it is a dead giveaway but even if you don't the sound from the DB4 is totally clean and transparent and overall has professional studio sound quality where the traktor internal mixer, well, sounds like the traktor internal mixer. EQing isn't the same, the meters in traktor don't work right, and when you EQ there is a huge difference.

On the DB4 you don't need to EQ all that much compared to other mixers since it has this natural way of kind of gelling everything together. When you are EQing on it it is kind of more detailed sculpting to enhance it even further where on a lot of other mixers and with traktor you are EQing just to get it to mix right.

I'm not saying other mixers are really bad, the DB4 is just on a different level and until you play with one on good speakers it's hard to understand.
Carlee Pickard
Can you really tell the difference between the DB4 and S4 mixers? Just by the sound "quality"?

Im really curious as I have never used a mixer that costs that much.
Valentin Doong
Dude holy shit this is sick
Carlee Pickard
You should've put the studio post in one of the spaces you reserved!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Rukks
How do you go about dealing with the windows desktop and mac laptop...I want to buy a unibody macbook because of the feel and the durability but I have been windows for a long time and transferring my production work over just seems like it would be a pain after a while.

I mean it already is a semi pain because I download or produce all my music on my desktop and then play it all live with the laptop, I don't mix between the two because then i just forget about too many files and such.

Not really a pain, I mean all the same apps work and you can just transfer stuff over with a flash drive. I have macdrive installed on the windows desktop that allows it to read and work with mac formatted disks like they were normal windows disks.

I pretty much do the same thing. All production on desktop all DJing on the laptop.
Lang Abriel
How do you go about dealing with the windows desktop and mac laptop...I want to buy a unibody macbook because of the feel and the durability but I have been windows for a long time and transferring my production work over just seems like it would be a pain after a while.

I mean it already is a semi pain because I download or produce all my music on my desktop and then play it all live with the laptop, I don't mix between the two because then i just forget about too many files and such.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by photojojo
You selling the other sub or using both?
Using one for production and one for DJing.
Leeanna Ayla
picked up another KRK 10s subwoofer on craigslist for $200.
You selling the other sub or using both?
Romelia Stankard
picked up another KRK 10s subwoofer on craigslist for $200. This one is the new generation, I like the looks of the old one better and it has a much nicer finish than the gen 2.

Sounds the same and I played around running both of them and got to hear phase cancellation in action then fix it by flicking the phase switch- kind of cool.

The guy I bought it from liked the sub so much he ordered 3 of the woofers and built a 3x 10" KRK subwoofer in his trunk- apparently you can buy the parts...

That chair I got is probably one of the best studio investments I've made.

Komplete Audio 6 is pretty awesome.

In other news I believe my Audio 8 is messed up. Timecode vinyl on channel one isn't working anymore. It doesnt receive any phono input on channel one- I believe the preamp might be broken or something. I tried hooking up a line signal on that input and it will register but as soon as it gets quiet or you hook up a turntable it doesn't register anything. I just bought it from someone on here too although it was used.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by dIptyche
I see 3 possible options:

1. You can bring the desk forward a little bit away from the wall. This would allow you to put the Krk's up on stands behind the desk. Leaving space for two screens. But, i can't tell if the door to the left is the only door in the room.

2. You could wall mount the rockits using those corner wall mounts. put em up a little higher and angle them down so the tweeters are pointing straight at you.

3. If you have the space, get this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WS8700/

It's brilliant! Sturdy, great build quality and a perfect all in one solution. You can see mine in the last show your setup thread.
Door to the left is my washer/dryer room so desk has to stay where it is.

I believe my best bet is the corner shelves angled down. I would probably have to build custom shelves though and being in an apartment I don't really have a place to do wood cutting unless I do it on my balcony and then I don't have any saws, hmm.

If I do a shelf straight across I could get the pieces pre cut at lowes probably and it might be easier but it won't look as nice. I would probably have to screw in a U shaped wood frame and then just slide the shelf on top. I might do that, then they make those foam stands that point down.

kevz- my desk is too thick for the c clamps unfortunately
Cliff Lohman
Any ideas for making more space on my production desk? I was believeing of putting a long shelf above the LCDs for the KRKs but I'm wondering if they would be too high like that... I really need to fit two screens. That or I can wall mount one above the current monitor but that's kind of weird.
Im telling u.. Try the cclamp arms and mounts.. U can double ur space.. I have a desk about the size of urs and i can bring gear front and center or push it back very easily...

U may need to do perm mounts tho if ur desk is too thick (or make something that u can attach the cclamps to (maybe on the wall?). Its the only cost effective way i can believe of. I like cclamps becuz they are nonpermanent and i can change shit around if i want.
Beatris Morgart
I see 3 possible options:

1. You can bring the desk forward a little bit away from the wall. This would allow you to put the Krk's up on stands behind the desk. Leaving space for two screens. But, i can't tell if the door to the left is the only door in the room.

2. You could wall mount the rockits using those corner wall mounts. put em up a little higher and angle them down so the tweeters are pointing straight at you.

3. If you have the space, get this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WS8700/

It's brilliant! Sturdy, great build quality and a perfect all in one solution. You can see mine in the last show your setup thread.
Romelia Stankard
Any ideas for making more space on my production desk? I was believeing of putting a long shelf above the LCDs for the KRKs but I'm wondering if they would be too high like that... I really need to fit two screens. That or I can wall mount one above the current monitor but that's kind of weird.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by mostapha
Yeah
Dorie Scelzo
Yeah
Romelia Stankard
^my votes for the soundcard for traktor and maschine. There are way too many annoyances to positives djing with ableton for my tastes.

Maschine is so damn cool you were completely right about putting it front and center, I now have it in the middle of my desk with keyboard to the left and mouse to the right. I was just jamming on it for like an hour it's so much fun and good sounds just come out. I used to program drums with a mouse in ableton and dreaded it, this is completely different and I haven't even scratched the surface and hardly know how to use it. I'm very glad I bought the edu now which stopped me from doing something stupid and selling it.
Dorie Scelzo
I've really dropped a lot of money in the past few days on odds and ends. I was believeing I would save up for CDJ-2000s but it's just not going to happen. As much as I would love to not have to use Traktor a new pair at $3250 is just absurd and I would blow all my hard earned money after saving for months in one shot and not have anything else to show for it. I'm much better off getting the more practical things for my setup.

Yeah
Romelia Stankard
Also I'm finally sitting down with maschine since the first time I bought it months ago. I got it on impulse like 9 months ago and never had a production work space setup and never dived into it.

This thing is incredible I just press buttons, stuff lights up, and techno comes out.
Romelia Stankard
I caved in and bought a new chair today at office depot, it's pretty nice and makes a world of difference and is all leather and has great support on sale for like $120 from $220. I still am not thrilled with dropping over $100 on a damn chair but it's worth it I guess if it means I can sit longer and much more comfortably producing.

Komplete Audio 6 is scheduled to be delivered on Monday which I believe will serve me well.

I've really dropped a lot of money in the past few days on odds and ends. I was believeing I would save up for CDJ-2000s but it's just not going to happen. As much as I would love to not have to use Traktor a new pair at $3250 is just absurd and I would blow all my hard earned money after saving for months in one shot and not have anything else to show for it. I'm much better off getting the more practical things for my setup.

Really the only thing I'm looking out for right now is another KRK 10s subwoofer and maybe doing something about this desk. I also kind of want a second ipad to run two instances of touchable or the Lemur app but I'm sure I don't need it, actually I might grab the lemur app now.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by Patch
Nice find!
I bought 6 of em even tho i had no clue what i was gonna do with em.. I love clamping shit to my desk so i figured theyd come in handy one day lol
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by kevz718
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10168720/
Nice find!
Dorie Scelzo
No, 'cuz then you'll start getting confused when you realize that your keyboard is missing the blue moon button that made that awesome 8-bit synth noise and not realize where the hell you put it.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by mostapha
If it's really a problem, I'd probably start by wadding up old clothes or blankets and shoving them in the corners
Cliff Lohman
Thanks. Yeah space is a little tight right now but I'm trying to make it work and keep it simple and to the essentials and resist my urges to gear whore since I know it will only make production more daunting than it already is for me.

If I could somehow raise the monitors to fit more on the desk that might help, right now the Maschine either fits on the left or the right. That or find/make a better desk with monitor stands and keyboard tray so I can fit controllers more front and center.

Any recommendations on DIY or cheaper bass traps? My quick search shows they are like $300+
Also, since space is tight, u could do some swivel arms to put ur controllers at a more useable level when needed and then push em out of the way when they are not.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy